Melbourne Football

Aaron Hughes

elieanid

Disinformation coming out of the press in regards to Hughes. Wasn't in the Northern Ireland squad I saw, so presumably is another one with a "secret" injury.

Definitely wasn't in the match squad, but he was probably with the larger squad. In the same way that Matthew Millar was in our travelling party to Sydney but not in the match squad. But I agree - marked lack of clarity as to just what is going on with Hughes.

Definitely wasn't in the match squad, but he was probably with the larger squad. In the same way that Matthew Millar was in our travelling party to Sydney but not in the match squad. But I agree - marked lack of clarity as to just what is going on with Hughes.

soccer way show the 23 man squad and he didn't make that for either game.  I can't imagine he was there but outside the 23, as You don't take a 35 year old to get some experience.

i am assuming he failed a fitness test, either here or in Europe.

Agree about Safuwan.

But from everything coming out the major reasoning behind Hughes and Sorenson was to bring in experience professionalism and a different mentality into the club. As an extension this must then be at the expense of on field output (due to age and long term service )

I guess the cards have been dealt and if it proves wrong several heads should roll.

• Like 1

really dumb move to let him go.  A versatile defender/midfielder that can score? Whats there not to like?  If it was the injury concern well,, you know where I'm going with that.

I agree there was plenty to like about him, I still feel he would have the potential to be sent off on a regular basis in the a-league as he put in some pretty rash challenges. 

If I ever see him play a competitive match I'll start to form an opinion then. Obviously (?) his inability to hold down a spot in a side in the English 2nd division, when he was a year younger, is a source of concern, as is his current injury status & age, but after writing ~ 200 posts about how Jaliens would struggle to get a game in SL3 last year & then watching him deliver, I'm going to hold off saying too much just yet.

This .

"Defender Hughes will return later in the week after completing international duty with Euro 2016 bound Northern Ireland, while Zullo is line to come into the first XI after he was an unused substitute in Sarturday’s 1-1 draw away to Sydney FC"

So ..he might play in the derby maybe nor for the whole 90 mins.

This .

"Defender Hughes will return later in the week after completing international duty with Euro 2016 bound Northern Ireland, while Zullo is line to come into the first XI after he was an unused substitute in Sarturday’s 1-1 draw away to Sydney FC"

So ..he might play in the derby maybe nor for the whole 90 mins.

I only believe anything about Melbourne City when I'm on the platform at Richmond...going home after the match.

• Like 3

In today's press conference JvS said the medical steam said Hughes was 2-3 weeks away from 'training' with the group.

I'm going out on a limb and calling he'll never end up playing a game for us.

I have said it before and I will say it again. He should have just stayed put after his Euro participation and don't bother coming back to Melbourne..

Northern Ireland international Aaron Hughes keen to become A-lister with Melbourne City

Steve Beacom

22 October 2015

Aaron Hughes is enjoying his new life in Australia. Off the field the 35-year-old and his family have settled in well since moving Down Under in July.

What the Northern Ireland star wants to do now is show his worth on the field.

The A-League, which is Australia's equivalent of the Premier League, has just started and Hughes has yet to be involved due to injury.

That was why Hughes was ruled out of Northern Ireland's October double header when they beat Greece 3-1 at Windsor Park to qualify for the Euro 2016 finals and drew 1-1 with Finland in Helsinki to top their group.

Hughes, showing his commitment to manager Michael O'Neill, took the long journey from Australia to join up with the squad, even though there was a chance he would not be able to play.

It was fitting that Hughes was around for those two magical nights of celebration.

Since making his international debut in 1998, and going on to win 96 caps to date, he has been one of the most consistent players ever to wear the Northern Ireland shirt.

The former Newcastle, Aston Villa and Fulham star would love to make it to 100 caps, but even more important to him will be to make it to France for the Euro finals.

O'Neill believes the defender's experience and calming influence will be extremely useful next year.

For his part Hughes wants to start playing games and Melbourne, who have conceded seven goals in their last three matches, could do with him.

He said: "Being with Northern Ireland on the night we qualified was great. It was fantastic to do it Windsor.

"Now I'm really looking forward to playing in the A-League for Melbourne City.

"The standard is good and I want to do well for the club, who have made me and my family feel really welcome."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro2016/northern-ireland-international-aaron-hughes-keen-to-become-alister-with-melbourne-city-34130196.html

• 3 weeks later...

Seemed solid when on. We really need him.

I guess it's back to Chapman creating goals for the opposition and Kisnorbo trying to stop them.

Heaven forbid on e of them should come off, because then all we have is Clisby and you might as well just forfeit the game then play with Clisby on.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Tesla said:

This. Plus where did the people who were making out that he was going to be the slowest player in the history of the league get their info? Was probably on the quicker side for A-League center halves. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

This. Plus where did the people who were making out that he was going to be the slowest player in the history of the league get their info? Was probably on the quicker side for A-League center halves. 

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎13‎:‎40‎:‎42, Tonyboozeadams said:

problem is Hughes is slow as fuck

To be honest Tony I haven't seen him since his Fulham days in the EPL. He was actually very mobile then and never struck me as a player who lacked pace. Maybe he has lost that pace, but I don't know.

Do I get a green line Jimmy?

• Like 1

Hughes did nothing really poor last night, but equally nothing really memorable. IMO visa players should show something not available from an Australian player, and above that someone who is a current visa international should be pretty obvious to pick out from the rest of the players on the park. I'm afraid I just don't see this with Hughes, and that's my criticism of this signing. 
Waste of a visa place for me.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Hughes did nothing really poor last night, but equally nothing really memorable. IMO visa players should show something not available from an Australian player, and above that someone who is a current visa international should be pretty obvious to pick out from the rest of the players on the park. I'm afraid I just don't see this with Hughes, and that's my criticism of this signing. 

I'm not sure what else he could have done. There was nothing in front of him to go to...

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe, but he is a CB, played only for one half, and no goals were conceded while he was on. Surely way to early to make that call? 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Tesla said:

I guess it's back to Chapman creating goals for the opposition and Kisnorbo trying to stop them.

Heaven forbid on e of them should come off, because then all we have is Clisby & Chapman and you might as well just forfeit the game then play with both on.

Fixed

Look Hughes is clearly a good player ( was great when he was on) but as others have said when he's never available it's not much help is it? It was just bad luck of course that the 35 year old we signed got injured a lot. Completely unpredictable.

• Like 1

I thought Hughes was solid as well. I'm more suspicious of defenders and DMs who try to do eye-catching things, instead of defenders like Hughes who keep it simple and don't make mistakes. As said we didn't concede when Hughes was on the pitch.

But Melbourne City have now played 10 competitive matches, 20 halves of football, and Aaron Hughes has only played 1 half of football for us. For a 35 year old who's only signed up for 1 season his injuries and unavailability are a big problem.

So not because of his quality but because of his unavailability one can criticise his signing.