Melbourne Football

Aaron Hughes

elieanid

I'd like to see you try and run a national team on €60 a day.

One goat as a match payment,

An extra goat if you win the match and a jar of Olives for any goalscorer and the keeper if he keeps a clean sheet.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

'Aussie' Aaron Hughes is still in my plans, says Michael O'Neill

By Steven Beacom

24/07/2015

Michael O'Neill has told veteran Northern Ireland defender Aaron Hughes that he remains part of his Euro 2016 plans, despite moving to Melbourne City.

The 35-year-old was a free agent at the end of last season after being released by Championship side Brighton and when the opportunity came to go to Australia on a year-long contract, the Cookstown man was immediately interested.

Only one issue concerned him about playing in the Australian A-League... whether it would have a negative impact on his international career.

A conversation with the Northern Ireland boss eased any concerns for the former Newcastle, Aston Villa and Fulham ace, who has won 96 caps.

O'Neill said: "When the Australian opportunity came up, Aaron asked me if it would affect him with Northern Ireland and I told him it wouldn't.

"I think the level Aaron will be playing at will be competitive enough and I want to keep him on board.

"It certainly won't affect his standing with me and the team.

"Obviously moving to Melbourne is going to be a new experience for Aaron and his family but when it came along he was really keen on the idea.

"He didn't enjoy last season because he didn't play that much and also when you play in the Premier League for all of your career the Championship can be a real culture shock. I think it is a great move for Aaron and that he will do well there."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro2016/aussie-aaron-hughes-is-still-in-my-plans-says-michael-oneill-31399678.html

If he still wants to play for Northern Ireland it means he will still be hungry to fight at Melbourne City to prove he's still good enough to play in the Euro qualifiers.

In saying that, he may fly once back and forth and get sick of it and call it quits for N.Ireland, then go into vacay mode.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/northern-ireland-31-greece-green-and-white-army-is-off-to-france-31593955.html

Interesting that the squad for this weekend has Hughes listed as international duty, yet this article states that he didn't make the team due to injury... what is actually going on with this guy?

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/northern-ireland-31-greece-green-and-white-army-is-off-to-france-31593955.html

Interesting that the squad for this weekend has Hughes listed as international duty, yet this article states that he didn't make the team due to injury... what is actually going on with this guy?

My limited enthusiasm for this signing is wearing off. One year contract for a veteran visa player who has barely featured in our pre-season and seems to spend most of his time with his NI team-mates.

All the attention has been on "wasting a visa place" with Sorensen, but IMO it's the signing of Hughes that needs to be questioned.

• Like 5

Question. Did he travel back to Europe?

Sometimes it's easier to complain of an injury rather than being in the squad on the bench with a remote chance of game time. It may be planned for him to debut in the derby and avoid 2 long haul flights.

Question. Did he travel back to Europe?

Sometimes it's easier to complain of an injury rather than being in the squad on the bench with a remote chance of game time. It may be planned for him to debut in the derby and avoid 2 long haul flights.

Not listed in the match squad on LiveScore.

Misleading comments on the club web-site:

"Mixed fortunes for Melbourne City FC’s internationals overnight as Aaron Mooy and the Socceroos went down to Jordan while Aaron Hughes and Northern Ireland secured automatic qualification to Euro 2016 in France."

and

"Aaron Hughes’ Northern Ireland on the other hand qualified for Euro 2016 overnight, sealing their automatic qualification with a 3-1 win over Greece. Although Hughes didn’t play a part in the win, the Melbourne City defender will be in Michael O’Neill’s calculations heading into next year’s European Championships in France."

Edited by jw1739

My limited enthusiasm for this signing is wearing off. One year contract for a veteran visa player who has barely featured in our pre-season and seems to spend most of his time with his NI team-mates.

All the attention has been on "wasting a visa place" with Sorensen, but IMO it's the signing of Hughes that needs to be questioned.

If I ever see him play a competitive match I'll start to form an opinion then. Obviously (?) his inability to hold down a spot in a side in the English 2nd division, when he was a year younger, is a source of concern, as is his current injury status & age, but after writing ~ 200 posts about how Jaliens would struggle to get a game in SL3 last year & then watching him deliver, I'm going to hold off saying too much just yet.

• Like 2