Melbourne Football

Aaron Hughes

elieanid

All I can say to you is that success will follow in time. It may not look like that now, and I can understand your frustration. However, I am confident that the team will continue to improve.

I haven't seen anything of Hughes in the last couple of seasons, so I will reserve judgement on him.

Was just kidding mate, you're alright...sometimes! haha

I'm just annoyed that CFG look to be splashing out $102,000,000 on Sterling, NYCFC get Villa, Lampard & Pirlo (who all played Champions League last year) and we get 3 x 35 year old bottom-half-of-the-EPL-ladder retirees...

• Like 2

Seems a bizarre signing. Good if we were 1 defender short of a Championship team but I  think we are dtill 2-3 years off that.  How do you build for a Championship when your central defenders are in all likelihood not going to be around in another year? After this season we will need to replace Hughes and Kisnorbo

Seems a bizarre signing. Good if we were 1 defender short of a Championship team but I  think we are dtill 2-3 years off that.  How do you build for a Championship when your central defenders are in all likelihood not going to be around in another year? After this season we will need to replace Hughes and Kisnorbo

I am sorry your talking like an AFL List Maker and the A-League does not work like that.... Championships dont need to be built over three years.

Remember Season 2?

We had two good young CB's back then and both were gone after a Season.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

The club says that Aaron Hughes can play in any position across the back four, so I see him as quite a solid signing. Quite frankly IMO people are expecting too much of each and every signing that the club makes. In a salary capped league, especially one where the cap is ridiculously low and you have to fit 24 of your players inside a $2.7m cap it's just not possible to have every one of them as an ideal "star" signing, and compromises have to be made.

I'm disappointed players such as Fornaroli and Hughes are being criticised before they've even kicked a ball for City - in Fornaroli's case before his signing has been formally announced.

Partly agree. But at the same time, when the club keeps Robert Koren as its international marquee and doesn't properly use its Australian marquee spot, then more needs to be expected of the Visa signings.

I reckon Hughes could be a good signing. This FFT UK profile of him here done not too long ago sounds like he could excellently partner Kisnorbo "Behind every great commanding centre-back lies a calmer, quieter partner[...]and Aaron Hughes is textbook – Hangeland is dominant in the air, commits early to tackles, and he’s an inspirational captain. Hughes stays on his feet, takes up deeper positions, and he wins the ball more cleanly." http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=26462.0

Overall I believe Melbourne City's recruitment has so far been very strong: Ivan Franjic, Corey Gameiro, Steven Kuzmanovski, Harry Novillo (re-signed), Tando Velaphi (re-signed), Aaron Hughes. I just reckon though that the club is about 3 good signings away from being able to challenge for silverware next season, and I'm just hoping the club gets the remaining crucial signings right.

• Like 3

given his ability to play across the back four, i'm generally happy with the signing - just hope he's not on heaps.

for all the knockers out there, the guy has plenty of EPL history, is still playing for Northern Ireland (who are in with a strong shout for the Euros in France next year - first time in a long time) and can play a number of spots.

most particularly tho, Kew Jaliens seemed do well not just in centre back but right back too.  to have a guy potentially so capable might just be a return to the Madashi days where the club's defence was a pillar in a run that saw us to 2nd at Christmas.

then again he could turn out shite .... 

which is where as far as i'm concerned, as long as Hughes is not costing a pretty penny, i'm happy.

people are seemingly forgetting the rest of the confirmed signings are (at the time of posting) 18, 21, 23 and 27 years old.  no one can really claim the club hasn't had some sort of focus around much younger players.

Was just kidding mate, you're alright...sometimes! haha

I'm just annoyed that CFG look to be splashing out $102,000,000 on Sterling, NYCFC get Villa, Lampard & Pirlo (who all played Champions League last year) and we get 3 x 35 year old bottom-half-of-the-EPL-ladder retirees...

I know I wouldn't be any different to you mate if the roles were reversed.

I wish there where more teams in the A League and it had similar cap rules to the MLS. Then maybe those signings could be made.

The interesting thing about the MLS is that they seem to be making changes, so that teams are able to bring in better quality players. I was hoping to see a change in the cap rules and Marquee quota's in the A League.

The club says that Aaron Hughes can play in any position across the back four, so I see him as quite a solid signing. Quite frankly IMO people are expecting too much of each and every signing that the club makes. In a salary capped league, especially one where the cap is ridiculously low and you have to fit 24 of your players inside a $2.7m cap it's just not possible to have every one of them as an ideal "star" signing, and compromises have to be made.

That is a fair call.

Part of the problem is though (as Murf said) is that we have wasted our marquee spot on a guy who isn't in the first XI and all of us are desperate to see the club make up for it in someway with some ridiculously good visa signings.  Of course this is impossible, but that has never stopped people on a football forum.......

Any Irishman is a positive if you ask me. Northern Ireland have a very sterdy defence which has been a key to their success in the qualifiers so far.

Obviously not a huge signing but i fully expect him to be in our best XI

Shouldn't racially stereotype people BUT I can't imagine a Northern Irish defender being anything but hard as nails.  

• Sign a youngish no-name visa like Tuna or Novillo = 'WTF are these idiots doing??!'
  • Sign a past-his-prime recognised name visa like Hughes = 'WTF are these idiots doing??!'

So, there you have it, CFG. We only want in-their-prime name players from Europe to come down to Melbourne and have a kick around in our fourth rate league. Surely that's not asking too much?

I'll be the first to say that our administration and ownership needs to wake up on a number of fronts, but it seems like they can't win with the non-marquee visa signings. Give these guys a chance (the players, that is), FFS..

• Like 5

Agree with Murf above. I'm curious to see if Kisnorbo loses the captaincy with this signing. I can't imagine we can play two really old CBs without pace (which is how he is described on both QPR and BHA fan forums). From these forums it doesn't sound like the idea of him playing as a fullback is great either again due to lack of pace, so I don't think you can reliably have him paired with Kisnorbo in any way.  And if he's there as a squad filler/backup, then I just shake my head. VISA signings need to be on the park - we've all been screaming this for years.  At first sight this signing has me perplexed. Happy to be proven wrong, but we've been down this path before.

Don't see the logic either. Kisnorbo started slow last season and since his time at Heart/City has never been known for speed. Chapman went a long way to helping out on the speed issue. So now we have Hughes who can play across the back line. As stated above if we pair Kisnorbo and Hughes together at the centre the lack of speed will be exploited. If we move Hughes to the LB then what style of football will we play since there won't be much speed coming out of left flank and I can see Barbarousses running towards him and then leaving him for dead.

I really am looking forward to see what JVS had in mind.

I am sorry your talking like an AFL List Maker and the A-League does not work like that.... Championships dont need to be built over three years.

Remember Season 2?

We had two good young CB's back then and both were gone after a Season.

I didn't mention anything about signing young players. I do think to win a Championship you do need the majority of your team to have played more than one season for the club though. I think in the AFL it takes ~5-6 years to build a winning team, the A-League ~2-3 years. You can top-up with good players in missing positions like the Visitors last season but losing our centre backs after this season for me means re-setting the clock unless we are able to recruit two new gun centre backs next year.

I didn't mention anything about signing young players. I do think to win a Championship you do need the majority of your team to have played more than one season for the club though. I think in the AFL it takes ~5-6 years to build a winning team, the A-League ~2-3 years. You can top-up with good players in missing positions like the Visitors last season but losing our centre backs after this season for me means re-setting the clock unless we are able to recruit two new gun centre backs next year.

Personally I think Chapman could overtake Kisnorbo TBH as the kid is undoubtedly talented we saw that when his inclusion last Season immediately impacted on the team's fortunes.

Which means only one CB would needed to be replaced and there is nothing to say that if Hughes or Kisnorbo have a solid seasons that at least one of them sign on for another Season.

Hughes has clearly been signed not just so we have three CB options but also so that we dont have the makeshift Fullback dilemma we had last Season which cost us numerous games. I think it's a leap forward for City to be looking at these types of versatile players as well those for specific positions rather than the Walkerists on here kidding themselves that Gooch is a legitimate long term option at Fullback (Even though even Retre ended up the preferred option there in the end for JVS).

Personally I think Chapman could overtake Kisnorbo TBH as the kid is undoubtedly talented we saw that when his inclusion last Season immediately impacted on the team's fortunes.

Which means only one CB would needed to be replaced and there is nothing to say that if Hughes or Kisnorbo have a solid seasons that at least one of them sign on for another Season.

Hughes has clearly been signed not just so we have three CB options but also so that we dont have the makeshift Fullback dilemma we had last Season which cost us numerous games. I think it's a leap forward for City to be looking at these types of versatile players as well those for specific positions rather than the Walkerists on here kidding themselves that Gooch is a legitimate long term option at Fullback (Even though even Retre ended up the preferred option there in the end for JVS).

Actually agree with cadete. After thinking about the Hughes signing it will all come down to balance. At the moment with Franjic and Hughes added our back four is actually looking very promising. If we get a solid proper LB our defense is leaps ahead of were we last season with quality and depth. Our midfield was our strong point from last year and maybe needs 1 more (who knows it may be Koren) and the front third needs bolstering. So basically if we can sign a proper #3 and decent #9 we have the makings of pretty solid team. Our fortunes will rest on injuries and at this I have zero confidence.

Actually agree with cadete. After thinking about the Hughes signing it will all come down to balance. At the moment with Franjic and Hughes added our back four is actually looking very promising. If we get a solid proper LB our defense is leaps ahead of were we last season with quality and depth. Our midfield was our strong point from last year and maybe needs 1 more (who knows it may be Koren) and the front third needs bolstering. So basically if we can sign a proper #3 and decent #9 we have the makings of pretty solid team. Our fortunes will rest on injuries and at this I have zero confidence.

Yeh i think Hughes will be signed with the view to play LB in our best line up, and will fall into CB if Kisnorbo or Chapman are out.

Franjic  Chapman   Kisnorbo  Hughes

Is a nice line up.

Clisby (also 4th choice CB) and Garrucio can slot into the left with Retre and Hoffman available on the right as back ups

Generally Franjic will be given a bit of a license to get forward with Hughes the more ‘stay at home’ full back.

Really good signing for balance, we just have to hope he stays injury free, which so far in his career he seems to have managed.

• Like 1

Playing Hughes at LB would be a completely shit move given he'd be outpaced by pretty much every winger in the league. 

Play him as a central defender where he's played his best football alongside Kisnorbo and watch us have one of the best defences in the league. Genuinely believe this guy will be a rock for us.

• Like 2

I personally don't like this signing, not so much a player point of view but more about our recruiting and direction as a club! 

Makes no sense bringing in a 35yr old to play in our defence. From all reports he is a central Defender who can play in multiple positions in our defence.. There is no team in the A-league that plays with a typical number 9.. Modern football has become a front 3, very mobile and direct.. think back to our semi final thumping by Victory.. Wingers flying down the flanks, Barisha playing along the front line.. Kosta and FBK running at defenders with pace creating a 1v1 situation.. Sydney and Adelaide and Wellington play the same way.. Perth a bit different so having 2 ageing CB in Huges and Kisnorbo is a head scratcher.. 

How is it possible that we still can't find a quality striker that can bag 15+ goals in a season? 

Yeh i think Hughes will be signed with the view to play LB in our best line up, and will fall into CB if Kisnorbo or Chapman are out.

Franjic  Chapman   Kisnorbo  Hughes

Is a nice line up.

Just a technicality, but I'd swap Kisnorbo around with Chapman...you wouldn't want the two younger players on one side and two oldies on the other.

Franjic   -   Kisnorbo   -   Chapman   -   Hughes.

This way Franjic can cover for Kisnorbo and Chapman can cover for Hughes when their old legs can't run back as fast when Kisnorbo goes up for a corner or on a counter-attack.

I would have Clisby .. Because of his pace and can put in a tackle .. He can play 90min at full pace and support the attack down the wings.. If Hughes was signed as competition for Kisnorbo then ok.. If not the I don't understand the signing, considering we have Chapman who for me must be in out best 11

I would have Clisby .. Because of his pace and can put in a tackle .. He can play 90min at full pace and support the attack down the wings.. If Hughes was signed as competition for Kisnorbo then ok.. If not the I don't understand the signing, considering we have Chapman who for me must be in out best 11

Again, no one is saying hughes will play every game 

Hmm well if Zullo is a done deal like Heart of Melbourne says that will strengthen it even further.

Potentially :-

Franjic Hughes Kisnorbo Zullo

with CB reserves of : Chapman, Clisby

RB reserves : Hoffman, Retre

LB Reserves : Garrucio, Clisby

I think primarily Hughes will play CB. So between Kisnorbo Chapman and himself the pairing will be determined by form/fitness which a proper team does. He can fill in at FB but only if we are stretched. For periods last season Chapman and Kisnorbo were average. The issue will be will JVS be able to juggle the 3 and manage them pro actively rather than changing things when its too late. And if we snare Zullo our back four would be possibly best in the league. 

• Like 1

Potentially :-

Franjic Hughes Kisnorbo Zullo

with CB reserves of : Chapman, Clisby

RB reserves : Hoffman, Retre

LB Reserves : Garrucio, Clisby

cant really complain with this can we?

Hughes as a visa spot is a little meh, but as a squad player probably on not too high a wage he is very flexible and even a great bench option with our small bench sizes.

Edited by CityHeart

You guys are overrating Chapman

I agree, he's a very capable defender who can pass the ball out and has a bit of aggro about him but he's still young and makes some seriously shocking mistakes at times so it'll be good to have the calming influence and experience of Hughes around. 

Also, Hughes is still a part of the international setup for Northern Ireland so he'll inevitably miss some games. What's wrong with depth anyway?

• Like 1

You guys are overrating Chapman

I agree, he's a very capable defender who can pass the ball out and has a bit of aggro about him but he's still young and makes some seriously shocking mistakes at times so it'll be good to have the calming influence and experience of Hughes around. 

Also, Hughes is still a part of the international setup for Northern Ireland so he'll inevitably miss some games. What's wrong with depth anyway?

Very much agree with you Nate. Chapman has had some absolute shockers. Also glandular fever sticks around for a long time and the lad may need to rest from time to time. Whether Hughes was the "right" signing is debatable, but he has a solid record and my guess is he's not taking up big wages.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen Hughes outpaced and more to the point outclassed as a Fill In Full Back against A-League opponents yet?

Seriously do PPL remember the list of PPL we played as Full Backs last Season: Hoffman, Ramsey, Gooch, Retre.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

Has anyone seen Hughes outpaced and more to the point outclassed as a Fill In Full Back against A-League opponents yet?

Seriously do PPL remember the list of PPL we played as Full Backs last Season: Hoffman, Ramsey, Gooch, Retre.

Agree. Ramsay is prove that it doesn't matter how fast you are if you're a deadset spastic.

Jaliens wasn't overly quick at the back end of the season but he was pretty effective imo

• Like 2

Talking to friend who's a Fulham fan he noted he's really classy at stepping in at the right time to win the ball and rarely concedes fouls around the area. An attribute that should see him still be successful at this level once you've lost a bit of speed. Will be a good foil to Kisnorbo, chapman and clisby butchering anyone who goes near them and Franjic inevitably getting stuck up at our own corner flag.

90% of the people who are saying he's slow are only saying it because he has a low pace stat on FIFA. They'd actually have no clue.

• Like 3

90% of the people who are saying he's slow are only saying it because he has a low pace stat on FIFA. They'd actually have no clue.

Ah the FIFA generation.

Where player cards with attribute ratings out of 99 dictate the ability and usefulness of a player.

Aaron Hughes: Fresh start in Melbourne was an easy decision

By Steven Beacom

14/07/2015 

Northern Ireland's most capped outfield player Aaron Hughes has admitted he jumped at the chance to move to Australia for a fresh start in his career.

Hughes was just 18 when he made his debut for Newcastle - against Barcelona in the Nou Camp - going on to play over 500 times in English football for the Geordies, Aston Villa, Fulham, QPR and latterly Brighton.

When the Seagulls released him last season, the 35-year-old was faced with a big question to answer when a few weeks ago he was offered the opportunity to join Australian A-League side Melbourne City.

Would he try something new for himself and his family on the other side of the world or sit tight and wait for an English team to come calling?

The Cookstown man chose the former moving to Melbourne on a one-year deal, taking his wife and young children with him 10,500 miles away from home.

Speaking from the land of TV soap Neighbours yesterday, he stated there was no hesitation in making the life changing decision.

Hughes said: "I got a call a few weeks ago to say there was an opportunity for me to go to Australia if I was interested and I said 'definitely, 100%'. For me it is a great opportunity to experience something new having played in England all my career.

"It was an easy decision in the end to come here and bring my family as well. It is a fresh start and something I want to throw everything into and hopefully contribute to a successful season."

Hughes added that his ex-Fulham team-mate and former Republic of Ireland hero Damien Duff, who played with Melbourne last season, was glowing in his praise of the club and the city.

"I played for a few years with Damien and he spoke highly of not just the club but the whole area and the people," said the Ulsterman.

"He said the experience was fantastic. When the opportunity came up for me I dropped him a text and he pretty much said if I didn't go for it he would never speak to me again so that tells you all you need to know about what Duffer thinks of the place.

"From what I hear the team is well supported and the fans are really passionate and excited about what's happening here."

Hughes could play his first game for his new side against their sister club Manchester City on Saturday in a pre-season friendly, though the new campaign in the Australian A-League, in which Melbourne City finished fifth last season, does not start until October.

The month before Hughes should be with the Northern Ireland squad for their vital Euro 2016 doubler header against the Faroe Islands and Hungary with Michael O'Neill's men second in Group F and well placed to qualify for next year's finals.

"I still want to be involved with the national team," said the man who has won 96 caps.

"We are in with a good chance of making the Euro finals so I want to be playing football regularly at a good standard and with a good team and good set up.

"The confidence in the Northern Ireland squad at the moment is huge. We have a strong bond and a really good work ethic and have the best chance that we have had in years to qualify.

"We have reached the World Cup finals before but not the European Championships and hopefully this is our turn. You never know what the future will hold and we have to take this chance when it is there. That is what everyone is hoping and striving for."

On his new arrival, Melbourne manager John van 't Schip said: "Aaron is an extremely experienced professional and is an excellent addition to our squad.

"He brings with him a vast amount of Premier League and international experience which will be of great benefit to the entire team and his many qualities will greatly strengthen our defence."

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro2016/aaron-hughes-fresh-start-in-melbourne-was-an-easy-decision-31374198.html

• Like 1