Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Bruno about to start his fourth season with us. Has any other senior player lasted that long?

Williams, Mate, Garrucio. Aziz kind of did too I guess, he departed during one season and came back.

Maybe missing a few but those were the ones I can think of.

1 hour ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

He spent most of his time in the medical ward but Germano was around for 4/5 seasons if my memory serves me correctly. 

Im suripised he didnt graduate with a sports science degree

11 hours ago, Dylan said:

Cross fingers that there are no preseason injuries. I reckon he is on for a season like his first if we get the right people around him 

We need a Novillo like marquee for Bruno. I know the majority seem to think that it was Mooy that had the bigger impact but if you go back through the goals it was either Bruno creating them himself or Novillo assisting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dylan said:

We need a Novillo like marquee for Bruno. I know the majority seem to think that it was Mooy that had the bigger impact but if you go back through the goals it was either Bruno creating them himself or Novillo assisting. 

Maybe the Scotch bloke will fill that role.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I told him at the shirt unveiling

“You are the best striker we’ve ever had, but please give then Pens to someone els this season.”

He taped me on the shoulder and said

“Ok how about you take them?”

I said “Bruno I’m not kidding, you are no good at Pens.” 

He gave me a death stare and walked off.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Maybe not Joyce's fault. He probably told them discuss between yourselves who is most confident to take them.

For any professional football player not having the ball on target is pretty bad, his penalties have been very average the last seasons. I'm getting worried thinking about the situation that we seem to rely so much on him. Bruno needs to adapt his game plan as well and stop looking for top end curling shots.

Edited by Mr MO

13 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

For any professional football player not having the ball on target is pretty bad, his penalties have been very average the last seasons. I'm getting worried thinking about the situation that we seem to rely so much on him. Bruno needs to adapt his game plan as well and stop looking for top end curling shots.

His penalties were definitely shithouse last season. I'm not sure why he persists to take them. To me, he is getting a little greedy now just to increase his goal tally. 

• Like 1

Bruno should and probably will continue to take pens.

A pen in his first or second game got the ball rolling and he has proved to be the best striker in the League. 

I'd be more worried if he himself didn't want to take them. All of the greatest forwards in history have missed pens and will continue. His overall record is poor but what must be taken into account is his overall goal/match ratio which is intertwined in taking pens. Every now and then he looks a little off but snagging a pen has kickstarted himself again.

You cant just all of sudden drag him from pens because he has missed a few and then expect the rest of his game to be uneffected. Penalties are basically a mental battle and so to is instinctive goal scoring.

Bruno should continue to take pens and we should just accept he is going to miss. We wouldn't have been playing last night had Bruno not scored the round before. 

Making selective statements are pointless the big picture needs to be looked at.

Bruno must continue taking pens!!!!

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

In open play we're not playing to Bruno's strengths as we used to, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is affecting his state of mind.

As I've mentioned in another thread, our performance on dead-ball kicks is atrocious, and the issue is more that just Bruno and penalties. You need flexibility in all these situations - not just "Bruno for this" and Brattan for that." The state of the match when the kick is taken, where the kick has to be taken from, the state of mind of the player(s), whether the opposition has tall defenders or short defenders, etc. etc.

For example, we could stand Bruno aside for penalties for a while, but then if we're 3-0 up and win a penalty with 5 minutes to go, he can take it because if he misses then it's not critical and it's an opportunity to get his confidence back. Likewise there's little point in just plonking a free-kick "somewhere into the box" if the opposition defence outjumps us every time - we need something else in our arsenal.

We cannot blame Joyce for every incident on the field, but these issues have been evident for a while now. We have such a talented squad and we're letting ourselves down as a club if we don't address them.

• Thanks 1

Wouldn't of even been playing in that round last night if it wasn't for bruno.

He's still a damm good striker, just had a bad game last night.

Feel free if you're jumping off the bruno bandwagon, to jump off the city bandwagon entirely. 

The amount of people who turn on him after one bad game is ridiculous.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Maybe not Joyce's fault. He probably told them discuss between yourselves who is most confident to take them.

Bruno has the confidence to take penalties but it is not justified. Open play I will back him to score, from the spot his record is terrible. I can't find the stats but from memory it was 4+ missed last season.

21 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Wouldn't of even been playing in that round last night if it wasn't for bruno.

He's still a damm good striker, just had a bad game last night.

Feel free if you're jumping off the bruno bandwagon, to jump off the city bandwagon entirely. 

The amount of people who turn on him after one bad game is ridiculous.

Normally 98% of your posts are trollish but this one is spot on.

Fuck there is some dumb shit in this thread today. I knew that logging onto the forum today would be bad, but I've opened 1 thread and it's already pissing me off.

4 hours ago, ABC123 said:

I told him at the shirt unveiling

“You are the best striker we’ve ever had, but please give then Pens to someone els this season.”

He taped me on the shoulder and said

“Ok how about you take them?”

I said “Bruno I’m not kidding, you are no good at Pens.” 

He gave me a death stare and walked off.

Alright cool. What do you do for a living mate? I'm guessing if some random who clearly is not a professional in that field comes into your place of work and tells you that you are doing your job wrong and you need to change what you're doing you're not exactly going to be stoked about it either...

38 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

His contract is up at the end of the season wouldn’t be surprised if it’s his last season with us

Based on what? The fact he missed a penalty in a cup game last night? Are you serious?

Fuck me dead yeah it was a shit penalty, but that doesn't mean we should get rid of him. Bruno is the best player in the league bar none. He single handedly dragged us to the quarter finals, and is going to spend the entire A League season making every keeper in the country piss their pants whenever he has the ball at his feet. Bruno is well on his way to being a club legend, and an A League legend for that matter. He's missed a few penalties now and it's clearly troubling him a bit mentally. But you know what, props to him for actually stepping up and having the guts to keep persisting. Anyone saying we should let him go or he's shite needs to pull their head in ffs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

Fuck there is some dumb shit in this thread today. I knew that logging onto the forum today would be bad, but I've opened 1 thread and it's already pissing me off.

Alright cool. What do you do for a living mate? I'm guessing if some random who clearly is not a professional in that field comes into your place of work and tells you that you are doing your job wrong and you need to change what you're doing you're not exactly going to be stoked about it either...

Based on what? The fact he missed a penalty in a cup game last night? Are you serious?

Fuck me dead yeah it was a shit penalty, but that doesn't mean we should get rid of him. Bruno is the best player in the league bar none. He single handedly dragged us to the quarter finals, and is going to spend the entire A League season making every keeper in the country piss their pants whenever he has the ball at his feet. Bruno is well on his way to being a club legend, and an A League legend for that matter. He's missed a few penalties now and it's clearly troubling him a bit mentally. But you know what, props to him for actually stepping up and having the guts to keep persisting. Anyone saying we should let him go or he's shite needs to pull their head in ffs.

Far, far too soon to write Bruno off. He had a poor game, and we're not necessarily playing to his strengths. But already a club legend IMHO. We are too reliant on him though, and if he has an off day the team tends to have one. Others were also equally poor last night, including the crowd, so maybe we all need to resolve to do better. 

• Like 1

I don't think I kept records until Season 2015/16, and unfortunately I don't have records of "penalties missed."

In 15/16 Aaron Mooy was our usual penalty taker. Bruno scored 3 goals in the FFA including 1 penalty. He scored 23 goals in the League, all from open play.
In 16/17 the numbers for Bruno were FFA Cup 3 goals incl. 2 penalties. League 17/8.
In 17/18 the numbers were 1/0 and 5/1.

I can’t remember how he took penalties previously but I’m pretty sure he had a quicker run up.

Usually I’d say the approach is a matter of personal preference but the slow run up is all wrong IMO. Far too relaxed and disjointed. He looked off balance when he struck it and so couldn’t generate much power without swinging the leg harder.  

Needs to find a better technique. 

• jw1739 locked this topic