Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

So he went a medical at ManCity as well as trained there. If there are physical/conditioning problems with him I would expect them to have surfaced there, so for me at least he is in good physical condition - something that cannot be said about some of our recent signings.

is record is not of a prolific scorer and that could be for a variety of reasons. I am concerned that the club does not seem to have a proven, consistent goal scorer but maybe the style of play will be so that we don't need a central focal striker or perhaps they are expecting to develop players like Gomeiro.

None the less, Buena Bruno!

Any idea if he will play in our next FFA cup match? 

Said that he would be available for the match, would be good to see him score in the cup ahead of the season.

I think he'll do well, last year and even in the FFA Cup we created a bit, we just always lacked someone to finish it off. We now have someone who is fit, will play 90 minutes and who is suited to the role he'll be in. 

Was it likely Visa problems to why  he was training in England rather then come straight to Melbourne? 

Wouldn't think so. I'd say this is how City Football Group will hope to function into the future - remember, CFG is in the early stages of learning how to manage a global football network and they are refining what they do on a continual basis . Tuna is clearly a product of the scouting network and the database CFG has on many thousands of players, and I'd suggest that he's spent a week in Manchester during which they've validated the information they have on him. It's the sort of thing a lot of big organizations do - get the new professional recruits to swing by head office for a few days before heading out into the far corners of the empire. In a different way, but along the same lines, James Horsfield spent a few weeks out here training with our boys - obviously Manchester think he's someone for the future so they were sending him out to us to see how he coped being away from home and in a different environment - a character test if you like. IMO we'll see a lot more of this sort of thing into the future as CFG develops.

• Like 3

We are gonna regret this.

26 goals in 8 years doesn't seem to fit the profile of the type of striker I had in mind. 

FFS.

Berisha only had 20 goals in 7 years before moving to Brisbane. You just never know how players can turn out in the A-League. Lets see him play before being totally negative about his signing.

• Like 5

signed because of his technical ability. will obviously play as a false 9 

False 9? . . .  JVS isn't even smart enough to pull off a false tan!

Dunno what training he did in Manchester, looks a bit overweight / unfit to me. Very exciting though, don't think we've ever had so much depth up fwd. Perhaps Willo & Brown will play better off the bench & this will put pressure on forwards to perform to keep their spot. 

The interview furthers my opinion that he just isn't a goalscoring forward and that looking at his goalscoring record is a poor indicator of his quality. He pretty much said it himself, or at least implied it, that his main responsibility will be pressing the defenders rather than scoring goals. A defensive forward. Of course chipping in 5-10 goals for the season will be nice too, but he is doing the work for the other attackers to score goals.

The interview furthers my opinion that he just isn't a goalscoring forward and that looking at his goalscoring record is a poor indicator of his quality. He pretty much said it himself, or at least implied it, that his main responsibility will be pressing the defenders rather than scoring goals. A defensive forward. Of course chipping in 5-10 goals for the season will be nice too, but he is doing the work for the other attackers to score goals.

So he is a striker - a number fucking 9 - who's main job is to pressure defenders and create for others and scoring goals  is secondary? 

We need a striker who can bang in 20+ goals a season. Not a defensive forward. FML

So he is a striker - a number fucking 9 - who's main job is to pressure defenders and create for others and scoring goals  is secondary? 

We need a striker who can bang in 20+ goals a season. Not a defensive forward. FML

We signed a 20 goal a season striker last season, the problem was he didn't fit into JVS' system. In fact I remember people explicitly complaining that Josh Kennedy wasn't closing down defenders, but that's not the type of player Josh Kennedy was, he was the type of player you hit the ball to and he scores. Except we never hit the ball to him.

Now he has a player that fits JVS' system, at least theoretically.

Either way, no more excuses. This is clearly the player JVS wanted, and he now has him.

Edited by Tesla

"But it is difficult when a striker isn't scoring so my intention is to score goals"

Sounds like he thinks he's here to score goals. (could of just kept Mate if we only wanted someone to press) 

Should be a lot of crosses coming in from Zullo & Franjic this year & a couple of fleet footed and skillful wingers outside him in Gameiro and Novillo so I'm thinking he should get his fair share of chances.  

• Like 1

Sign a target man, why isnt he closing down defenders

Sign a poacher, why isn't he creating chances.

Sign a defensive forward, why isn't he scoring a goal a game.

Sign a false 9, why isn't he winning headers.

There is only one player in the world who comes close to being a truly complete forward and PSG won't sell him to us nor will his ego let him play for an unknown club like us. Not too mention people would then complain about us signing a 33 year old.

I think we have one at Chelsea too. With his dodgy hammy's he may be exactly what City want. 

"But it is difficult when a striker isn't scoring so my intention is to score goals"

Sounds like he thinks he's here to score goals. (could of just kept Mate if we only wanted someone to press) 

Should be a lot of crosses coming in from Zullo & Franjic this year & a couple of fleet footed and skillful wingers outside him in Gameiro and Novillo so I'm thinking he should get his fair share of chances.  

I'm not saying he won't score a lot of goals, I'm just saying that scoring aa bunch of goals may not necessarily be the right measure of success. Could be just what we have been waiting for and he might lead Gameiro and Novillo to score 10 goals each next season, even if he doesn't score a lot himself. Doesn't mean he couldn't still end up scoring 20 himself. 

• Like 1

What's evident to me now is that we have such a multi dimensional attack where a number of players could potentially score 10+ goals.

People have already stated after only one game this pre-season that Novillo has already been worked out. But throw Fornaroli and Gameiro into the attack as well and defences will have their hands full trying to contain all of them. 

I'm also positive Koren will lift his game this season - surely it will be impossible not to with these guys around him compared to last year. Throw in Mooy and some competent and marauding wing backs and it all points to a much more productive team in front of goals.

• Like 4

Without going into it too much because it's the wrong thread but I find it amusing that people seem to think that novillo has been 'figured out.' 

Totally. 

FWIW I wasn't agreeing to that, just stating what other people have said. I think he'll step up to another level this year.

...but back on Fornaroli, I went and watched a little bit of training today. He certainly looked sharp from what I could see. I was also impressed with the quicker ball movement drills they were doing.

• Like 1

• jw1739 locked this topic