Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

He appears to have the quality, it's more a question of how he settles into the league, how he fits into the team, and if he manages to avoid having his career ruined by JVS.

His career ruined?  You are fishing again of course.

More like he can't afford to fail at yet another club.  

I'd say spending a week with ManC is virtual confirmation that he'll be with us shortly. While I'd agree that he hasn't been a roaring success at several clubs, I'd hesitate to say he's been a failure. Transfermarkt tells me 138 matches for 25 goals. He'll be 28 early in September so certainly not over the hill, and with the limitations imposed by FFA on us it's unlikely that we can reasonably expect anyone better unless we're splashing out on a marquee.

Tuna won't bring the fans in by name alone, but if he can add some genuine flair to the side and get a few goals as well at least he can spark some interest in Melbourne City. Lord knows we need it.

• Like 4

I'd say spending a week with ManC is virtual confirmation that he'll be with us shortly. While I'd agree that he hasn't been a roaring success at several clubs, I'd hesitate to say he's been a failure. Transfermarkt tells me 138 matches for 25 goals. He'll be 28 early in September so certainly not over the hill, and with the limitations imposed by FFA on us it's unlikely that we can reasonably expect anyone better unless we're splashing out on a marquee.

Tuna won't bring the fans in by name alone, but if he can add some genuine flair to the side and get a few goals as well at least he can spark some interest in Melbourne City. Lord knows we need it.

For all we know, he could absolutely dominate in the A-League in a Berisha-esque way. 

Can't be any worse than our current striker option(s)... Williams.

• Like 3

Soccerway has 13 goals from 96 games. In fact that Strike rate is low enough for me to wonder if he's more of a winger than a striker. The other thing to note is he's never played a lot.

im not bagging him, just saying it's far from obvious from his record that he is "quality ". Like i said give him a few games and we'll have a better idea.

if he's not a quality striker though I'm not sure what our plan B will be....

Everywhere the bloke has played is of a substantially higher quality than the A-League, if he wasn't any good he wouldn't keep getting contracts at all these teams which are much better than Melbourne City.

Secondly, judging a forward on the amount of goals they've scored, while on the surface it may seem to make sense, is far from a good proxy of the quality of the player. Different forwards offer different things, and different systems require different things from a forward. Scoring goals themselves is not always the primary concern of a forward.

FWIW, just looked him up in the FM15 editor. Definitely is a striker but possibly also plays as an attacking mid on occasion. Apparently a false 9 / trequartista more than anything though (so an interesting change from Josh Kennedy), which explains the fact he isn't scoring a lot of goals and his height.

Maybe a change in system is on the cards...

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Plan b is starting Williams or playing Koren. Both destined to fail. Kuzi may pop up and Gamerio or Novillo may play as genuine #9. 

But If Tuna is our designated #9 and he turns out to be Mifsudesque then we'll end up mid table hoping mooy can carry the team. If Tuna is closer to Berisha a 10+ goal scorer then we should be thinking about top 4 barring horrendous injuries (which I'm not confident about).

So basically if the plan is to sign tuna as our striker and he has an immediate impact then we have a sniff. 

It just feels very similar to when Mifsud arrived.

That is, hope clouds the reality of the situation. 

Plan b is starting Williams or playing Koren. Both destined to fail. Kuzi may pop up and Gamerio or Novillo may play as genuine #9. 

But If Tuna is our designated #9 and he turns out to be Mifsudesque then we'll end up mid table hoping mooy can carry the team. If Tuna is closer to Berisha a 10+ goal scorer then we should be thinking about top 4 barring horrendous injuries (which I'm not confident about).

So basically if the plan is to sign tuna as our striker and he has an immediate impact then we have a sniff. 

It just feels very similar to when Mifsud arrived.

That is, hope clouds the reality of the situation. 

I'm thinking given we have guys like Novillo and Gameiro, and what I posted above, that Bruno might play as a false 9 with Novillo and Gameiro expected to score the goals from the wings. Unless we are playing a 4-4-2 with Bruno playing just off of Gameiro.

Don't think JVS would defer from his 4-3-3 formation tbh.

Tuna will most likely be a no.9 alongside Gamjam and Novillo, with Koren, Mooy and Party in the middle. 

Just looking at vids of him on YouTube (I know, not an accurate representation) he seems to have a nack for being in the right place at the right time to finish chances. Something we've missed dearly.  

I'm hoping for a fluid front 3. Gamerio Novillo and Bruno on paper are our best ever forward structure but my worry is how they will set up. And its not just the front 3 its how we set up across the middle. Mooy and Koren must work out some sort of relationship. 

So clearly we have enough quality to put a very good team on a regular basis it just how to fit in all the positive qualities of the players in an efficient system. 

Theoretically it's perfect for a 433 but I am not convinced that 433 is ultimately a championship winning system. 

• Like 1

Given that Vieira is sort of a first team coach in waiting it might make sense to have him evaluating a Melbourne City player... In case JvS leaves before a suitable coach is lined up and Vieira is asked to take charge by CFG I mean.

• Like 1

Everywhere the bloke has played is of a substantially higher quality than the A-League, if he wasn't any good he wouldn't keep getting contracts at all these teams which are much better than Melbourne City.

Secondly, judging a forward on the amount of goals they've scored, while on the surface it may seem to make sense, is far from a good proxy of the quality of the player. Different forwards offer different things, and different systems require different things from a forward. Scoring goals themselves is not always the primary concern of a forward.

FWIW, just looked him up in the FM15 editor. Definitely is a striker but possibly also plays as an attacking mid on occasion. Apparently a false 9 / trequartista more than anything though (so an interesting change from Josh Kennedy), which explains the fact he isn't scoring a lot of goals and his height.

Maybe a change in system is on the cards...

I wouldn't judge a forward solely on goals but I would judge a striker on them.  if this guy isn't our go to striker I'm not sure who is? 

as to a change in system, I hope we aren't going to try a fancy formation that only works if you have some of the best players in the world in your side.  

Looks like we're going to have a pretty quick forward line.

So whatever formation we play, i just hope we get the ball in fast to them so they can use that asset. Because it isn't going to mean shit if we fuk around with the ball higher up.

• jw1739 locked this topic