Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

5 minutes ago, Cloughie said:

I honestly think that the only thing capable of decent sports media attention is targetting City Group ownership of our club as a focal point of protest.

I agree. This should be about the way our club is mismanaged by City Football Group, not about any individual player.

"Mansour out", "Joyce out" are the only sorts of messages that will get the media's attention. And we need to stay "on message" week in and week out. No changes.

• Like 3

Bruno Fornaroli axed by Warren Joyce for Newcastle Jets visit
A-League

November 29, 2018 3:25pm
    by AAP
    Source: FOX SPORTS

Bruno Fornaroli has been dropped by Warren Joyce for the second week running.
Bruno Fornaroli has been dropped by Warren Joyce for the second week running.Source: AAP
Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce has sensationally upped the ante in his selection stand-off with Bruno Fornaroli, leaving the star striker out of his A-League squad for this weekend.

Fornaroli was omitted from City’s squad to face Brisbane last week and will now miss Sunday’s high-stakes clash with Newcastle.

Joyce was on the front-foot about the issue on Thursday, saying his players had given heart-to-heart commitments in pre-season to “maximise their talents to be the best they could be every single day” in training.

The clear implication being Fornaroli had not.
Round 6

“Everybody’s got a chance every day to compete and force their way into the team ... the demands on Bruno and every other player at the football club are the same,” Joyce said.

The axing ramps up pressure on City, who sits fifth after five rounds, and particularly Joyce, to get a result against the Jets.

The second-season coach wouldn’t comment on speculation Fornaroli refused to fly to Brisbane last weekend when informed he wouldn’t be starting, or reports the 31-year-old failed a skinfold test before the 2-0 loss.

With the $1.5million man on the outer, Joyce seems set to continue with Lachlan Wales upfront, a 21-year-old who was earning a minimum wage at Central Coast until this season.

Joyce said he was duty-bound to honour the commitments that players made to each other before the campaign.

“If the standard of training is high every day, there’s a pretty good chance it will be high on Saturday,” he said.

“If it’s poor in training, there’s a pretty good chance it will be poor. You can’t push a magic button.

“We’re setting our standards high as a football group, not only to be winners but serial winners.

“When they are in place, you become winners and serial winners. “The Manchester City Football Group want that. They’re serial winners themselves in the English Premier League.”

Joyce was adamant that Fornaroli’s axing didn’t mean the much-loved striker was being forced out of the club.

But there’s a well-worn path out of City walked by big names under Joyce’s stewardship.

Socceroos legend Tim Cahill left the club almost exactly a year ago after repeatedly missing selection.

Club champion Neil Kilkenny and Fernando Brandan also left mid-season, while marquee Marcin Budzinski departed halfway into his megabucks deal. Joyce, who like Fornaroli is out of contract at season’s end, denied a link between the departures of high-profile forwards Fornaroli and Cahill. “Every player at the football club who leaves or stays does so for different reasons. I don’t think you can compare (Cahill’s) situation to another,” he said.

1 hour ago, Afif Adam said:

Maybe this is a huge cover up for Fornaroli wanting to leave, always two sides of the story but after 2 or 3 players being axed last season ...I find it hard to believe that this is a fitness issue, as stated by Joyce in the conference 

Thank you.

I don't want to be the bad guy here but it might be a classic case of Player X forcing a move to Team B. Happens all the time in football.

1 hour ago, haz said:

Do the emails allow replies? or are they sent from a batch bot?

It comes from membership@melbournecityfc.com.au so I reckon they get it.

I simply put "Bruno in, Joyce Out! CFG out!"

Everyone should respond to the email and tell the club their thoughts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This may be unpopular. 

As long as Joyce is manager he should be backed to pick whoever he wants. Even Bruno isn't above the coach. 

He's free to pick whoever he wants, and that's what he's doing. Doesn't mean anyone has to support him though. People don't necessarily exercise the power they have wisely.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This may be unpopular. 

As long as Joyce is manager he should be backed to pick whoever he wants. Even Bruno isn't above the coach. 

I’ve sort of drifted toward this a little. There is something going on here... to the point where I think that Sydney story might have more meat on the bone than people want to believe.

i still don’t think there is any way this ends with Joyce staying. Either they both end up going or only Joyce does

Edited by Dylan

9 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I’ve sort of drifted toward this a little. There is something going on here... to the point where I think that Sydney story might have more meat on the bone than people want to believe.

i still don’t think there is any way this ends with Joyce staying. Either they both end up going or only Joyce does

Yep as I said in other posts since the 2nd dropping was announced, if the Sydney rumours are true it just seems to be typical Player X forcing a move to Team B

29 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This may be unpopular. 

Yeah I get that but the thing is I’d well and truly had enough of Joyce’s shitball and child minding approach before this.

Its not the only issue, just the last straw. 

Final proof the guy is completely out of his depth attempting to manage players older than 18.

• Like 1

If this was a once off, you could side with Joyce. But he's got offside with a core group of players in his time here. His footballing philosophy is pretty much anti-Pep and his man management skills are non existent, it is genuinely the most obscure appointment in A-League history.

• Like 3

If Bruno was part of successful well run club then I couldnt imagine that he would want to leave. Joyce has to be the soul reason so many have left. Bruno doesnt strike me as someone who would leave a club for a monetary reason, i could imagine however that he would move to better himself and play in a better league or like he has mentioned about coming to OZ that it was a family decision or even to get out of a toxic environment. I really hope the latter is the case. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, haz said:

Yep as I said in other posts since the 2nd dropping was announced, if the Sydney rumours are true it just seems to be typical Player X forcing a move to Team B

I can't see this at all. If he received an offer in the off-season, why until now for the shit to hit the fan? And if the offer was from Sydney, he would have to have been a marquee and aren't they full in that respect? If there was and is also now an offer from overseas, then I can't see why City would want to keep an unhappy wantaway player but put him on the sidelines. Above all this though - when has our club ever stood in the way of a player wanting away? IIRC - never. And why would they suddenly do so now?

32 minutes ago, Dylan said:

So Sydney might be floating the idea of a deal for Bruno. Wow, they rate him highly which isn’t hard to see why. Can you imagine how effectively they’d use him, more so than Wazza has done. Heck, they recruited Retre and now he’s a solid cog in their team. And look at us. Shambles. No wonder Bruno might be inclined to do a runner. Why didn’t we recruit an experienced A-league performer like Popovic???? FMD.

The Sydney transfer rumour is 100% bullshit. The A-League doesn't even allow transfers between clubs, CFG would've had to cancel his contract and then allow him to go to a rival that caused them no end of grief about the colour change.

In the off-season Bruno was still the poster boy for the club in all marketing. Sydney asking for CFG to release him is about as logical as Real Madrid asking Barcelona to release Messi.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I can't see this at all. If he received an offer in the off-season, why until now for the shit to hit the fan? And if the offer was from Sydney, he would have to have been a marquee and aren't they full in that respect? If there was and is also now an offer from overseas, then I can't see why City would want to keep an unhappy wantaway player but put him on the sidelines. Above all this though - when has our club ever stood in the way of a player wanting away? IIRC - never. And why would they suddenly do so now?

Could be a January deal. We've seen stranger things happen. Who knows what Salary Cap & Marquee 'exemptions' Sydney can cook up too.

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

This may be unpopular. 

Bruno has provided a lot more to the club then Warren Joyce has.

While I understand that Joyce is the coach, and should be respected, it seems he shows little to the clubs greatest ever player (Hoffy is a close second)

Wazza ain't leading us anywhere anyway, sooner hes axed, the better

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Bruno has provided a lot more to the club then Warren Joyce has.

While I understand that Joyce is the coach, and should be respected, it seems he shows little to the clubs greatest ever player (Hoffy is a close second)

Wazza ain't leading us anywhere anyway, sooner hes axed, the better

This is so true, if we had a coach who brought us something - either winning, attractive football or even excellent respected track record than Joyce has right to speak or act but at the moment he is a nobody.

Edited by Mr MO

15 hours ago, Jovan said:

This may be unpopular. 

Absolute load of SHIT. You pick your best available squad to WIN games not prove a point!!

Clearly he has an ego and you need to see what his done to other players. Had this had been a once off with Bruno fair enough but look at the other players his frozen out.

Clearly not manager material!!!!

25 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Absolute load of SHIT. You pick your best available squad to WIN games not prove a point!!

Clearly he has an ego and you need to see what his done to other players. Had this had been a once off with Bruno fair enough but look at the other players his frozen out.

Clearly not manager material!!!!

I don't think for a second an elite coach would not want to win games for the sake of proving a point, but if he has been challenged and he backs down he is cooked. 

Now I want Joyce replaced and soon but, he has now put himself in a position where by he can't back down. Being in that position in the first place is poor to begin with and demonstrates exactly why he isn't suited to this job. 

So from the outside it looks like Bruno is gone and probably in January,  and depending on results so too maybe Joyce. 

• Like 1

In the context of the issue being presented by Joyce to justify Bruno's omission, and the now unfolding ramifications, I hope he is realising he had misread the whole situation and made a bad, bad mistake.

A better man manager would have played it so differently ... seriously, after one week off, how bad really would have Bruno slipped fitness wise?

Sliding door moment... Joyce sees Bruno's numbers are not where they should be, does he:

1. make a public example of a player who is a fan favourite and who looks like he is willing to die for the team everytime he plays, unbalance the team, cause a shit load of distraction and controversy, genuinely turn supporters away from the club, create a publicity embarrassment for CFG and risk his own job
  2. behind closed doors work it through with Bruno to reaffirm the team rules, ask Bruno to say sorry to the group (with a small player fine towards the end of season kitty) and ask him to work his arse off against Brisbane to show the boys how desperate he is to win for City.

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I don't think for a second an elite coach would not want to win games for the sake of proving a point, but if he has been challenged and he backs down he is cooked. 

Now I want Joyce replaced and soon but, he has now put himself in a position where by he can't back down. Being in that position in the first place is poor to begin with and demonstrates exactly why he isn't suited to this job. 

So from the outside it looks like Bruno is gone and probably in January,  and depending on results so too maybe Joyce. 

Totally understand that. He was cooked in January last season. He lost the dressing room. Players have walked because of him.

Jakobson, Cahill, Bruno, Kilkenny, Griffiths, The Marquee from last season, O`Halloran was ready to go last week, Fernando . No lets see where the problem is.

International Players, High Caliber players. Joyce can take his arrogant narcissist ego and fuk right back off to where he came from.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Totally understand that. He was cooked in January last season. He lost the dressing room. Players have walked because of him.

Jakobson, Cahill, Bruno, Kilkenny, Griffiths, The Marquee from last season, O`Halloran was ready to go last week, Fernando . No lets see where the problem is.

International Players, High Caliber players. Joyce can take his arrogant narcissist ego and fuk right back off to where he came from.

O'Halloran is news to me

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

What happened to MOH last week? You mean ready to play or ready to go home?

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I just sent my "Your guide to Sunday's match against Newcastle" e-mail back with short but sharp comments about the omission of Bruno, and Joyce and City Football Group wrecking our club.

I did this too. Got a call from membership today just saying they appreciate and hear the feedback they are getting from the fans and if there is anything they can do to get me back onside with them.

Its nice to know our frustrations aren't falling on completely deaf ears.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What happened to MOH last week? You mean ready to play or ready to go home?

Ready for game time (sub) but that would mean getting rid ofhis favourite, Baccus who has started every game. So O'Halloran will hang about until there are youth games and this will allow Baccus to stay and play until next transfer window

• jw1739 locked this topic