Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Bruno is out of contract at the end of this season. He lives for his wife and children and to play football. I just can't see him settling for a bit part at City if he gets an offer elsewhere.

Mind you I predict that Joyce will leave at the end of the season, if he hasn't gone before, and that might enable us to keep Bruno somehow.

I dont mind Bruno leaving at seasons end on legitimate end of contract. He has given his heart to this club and can leave with his head up high.

What I cannot stand for is him leaving either in similar circumstances to what we have seen with others, or because he has been unjustly shown the door. 

What I would rather is that Joyces management come under scrutiny; Fornaroli is played and surrounded by a decent team culture; a system that suits all the players is implemented. Either Joyce gets fucked off, or he eats some humble pie and changes this bullshit tinkering that is winding back the progress that we have made over the last few seasons. I know we have not reached great heights, but I still felt we were making progress.

Now we are back to squars fucking zero. Its a shame. 

• Like 4

John Kosmina says Warren Joyce may have given his players ‘one kick too many’ by dropping Bruno Fornaroli

November 25, 2018 10:45pm
Source: FOX SPORTS

John Kosmina believes Warren Joyce’s decision to drop Bruno Fornaroli for Melbourne City’s trip to Brisbane may be ‘one kick too many’ from the City coach.
Fornaroli was left out of City’s starting line-up against the Roar, reportedly because his skinfolds weren’t up to scratch when he returned from the international break.

While it’s understood the City coach was willing to offer Fornaroli a place on the bench for the match, the prolific Uruguayan opted not to even make the trip to Brisbane.

Joyce has previously had issues with other players at the club, including Ross McCormack, Luke Brattan and Tim Cahill, but speaking on Fox Sports’ Sunday Shootout, Kosmina said the coach may have gone a step too far with Fornaroli.

“I know sports science is a big part of the game and I heard part of the reason was his skinfolds weren’t up to scratch — big deal,” Kosmina said.

“I know Joyce is the coach and I think he’s fantastic — he’s been a breath of fresh air because I think that club needed a kick in the backside and he’s tried to give it to the players — but maybe this is one kick too many.

“Someone like Bruno, you’ve got to cut him a little bit of slack. I look at his body shape and think he’s not going to be lean at the best of times, but you know what, he can do a job for you”.

As it turned out, Joyce’s decision backfired with City going on to lose 2-0. They were toothless in attack and certainly could have done with Fornaroli’s fight and prowess.

“Melbourne City for me, in attack they’re pretty insipid,” Kosmina said. “They’re impotent, they don’t penetrate very well, they need someone like Bruno in that side that can get a ball into feet and do the dirty stuff, because that’s what he does. He gets involved and he holds balls up and he causes problems for defenders”.

2 hours ago, AXIOM said:

What Kosmina talking some since. He bag on the money. If Joyce was going to pull a stunt like this he needed to win....once again it back fired. 

Thats standard any loss is always the coaches fault and wins always come down to the players. 

Problem though this is just another example of poor man management. We lost Kilkenny, Cahill Fernando  (all different circumstances but if another coach was in charge the outcomes imo would have been different) and for what? I wouldn't have minded those players walking if it meant we played with intensity and passion but some of the games when the pressure has been on we have been weak and timid. The only time I remember we played with that edge was around the time of the cup win when we were racking up cards and playing rough, which players were driving it?

We have lost hardened tough pros and replaced them with easy on the eye but soft types and if Bruno follows that would be a massive loss.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Jovan said:

We have lost hardened tough pros and replaced them with easy on the eye but soft types

Yes. Exactly this.

And we see at the lower levels in europe where successful teams are more physical with on-field smarts with hardened attitudes.

I bet their skin folds aren't up to Wazza's standards though.

Wazza is a joke.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry over this "skin folds" issue.

Surely we must be the first and only club in the world to advance that as the reason for dropping a player? Especially the best striker we've ever had. We just look so silly that I can't believe I'm reading it.

On 11/5/2018 at 4:54 PM, jw1739 said:

Bruno is on a good marquee contract. I don't think he'd get an offer in Australia anywhere near what he's rumoured to be on. Meaning he'd have to go to another country - and IMO that would mean in Asia somewhere - if he wanted to continue play football, or he'd have to take a huge drop in income.

IMO we can only hope that he will regain his confidence and form. If the current situation continues I think we'll be saying goodbye at the end of this season. With a great deal of sadness on the part of everyone.

Will be gone in Jan if Joyce isnt sacked prior to that.

Expect a few more omissions this week.

36 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Hearing that the differences with Joyce my be "irreconcilable." Club supporting Joyce, players supporting Bruno.

Makes sense the club support him. After all, they brought Roy in for the big review, which lead to his signing. They wouldn't want to admit they were wrong and go through it all over again.

Doesn't make it right though :(

I'd be pretty impressed if CFG did take the initiative and flick him, would probably win a few people over. Can't see it happening however.

Edited by rass

Judging by what I've read today even Michael Jakobsen left because of Joyce's emphasis on flat-out training every day. I'm seeing quite a bit of evidence to support the theory that our players are over-trained - it's no wonder that they look lacklustre in matches. The match is where a player, at any level, wants to express himself. Training is a means to an end, not an end in itself. At this stage of a season, after having started training on 5th July, no player should need anything more light training to keep him in excellent physical condition.

Joyce needs to go.

Now, before he wrecks everything in sight.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry over this "skin folds" issue.

Surely we must be the first and only club in the world to advance that as the reason for dropping a player? Especially the best striker we've ever had. We just look so silly that I can't believe I'm reading it.

Sounds like something the betoota advocate would write

I'm tempted to call BS over that World Game article over a Sydney move. It would surely have leaked before now, and Bruno doesn't seem the type to easily uproot the family.

More worryingly is that it is a club leak of some sort, and possibly false and deliberate to put him off side with supporters.

Either way, it indicates a deep rift between club and player.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cloughie said:

I'm tempted to call BS over that World Game article over a Sydney move. It would surely have leaked before now, and Bruno doesn't seem the type to easily uproot the family.

More worryingly is that it is a club leak of some sort, and possibly false and deliberate to put him off side with supporters.

Yea screams club leak. Hearing him and Bratts both unhappy with Joyce. Clearly two guys with some dressing room power.

Fuck this season off already. Tank for draft picks... Oh. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cloughie said:

Well let's assume for a minute that it's true. The first problem is a lack of transfer fees, which would compensate City for the loss of their best asset. Even so, there's no benefit in keeping a player that wants away. Let go, get someone else in. Like Ross? I'd also accept that the story could be a furphy. We'll almost certainly never know. 

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Judging by what I've read today even Michael Jakobsen left because of Joyce's emphasis on flat-out training every day. I'm seeing quite a bit of evidence to support the theory that our players are over-trained - it's no wonder that they look lacklustre in matches. The match is where a player, at any level, wants to express himself. Training is a means to an end, not an end in itself. At this stage of a season, after having started training on 5th July, no player should need anything more light training to keep him in excellent physical condition.

Joyce needs to go.

Now, before he wrecks everything in sight.

1.Joyce is a fool for wanting flat out every day. It makes no sense at all.

Elite athletes sure as hell don’t do it, they tailor training so that they peak for the big events. Why leave your best work on Bundoora?

2. Skin folds. Give me a break. What was Ross’s skin folds? I want goals from my striker not 14:20 5k time trials FFS.

3. I was banging on last year about “the club” not being able to manage conflict. Looks like I’ve got some company in that view point now.

4. Joyce Out.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, playmaker said:

Yes. Exactly this.

And we see at the lower levels in europe where successful teams are more physical with on-field smarts with hardened attitudes.

I bet their skin folds aren't up to Wazza's standards though.

Wazza is a joke.

I can't believe what I just read....

Who are you and what have you done with playmaker?

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

1.Joyce is a fool for wanting flat out every day. It makes no sense at all.

Elite athletes sure as hell don’t do it, they tailor training so that they peak for the big events. Why leave your best work on Bundoora?

2. Skin folds. Give me a break. What was Ross’s skin folds? I want goals from my striker not 14:20 5k time trials FFS.

3. I was banging on last year about “the club” not being able to manage conflict. Looks like I’ve got some company in that view point now.

4. Joyce Out.

Joyce just trying to stamp his authority, his rubbed up so many players the wrong way since he took over his on borrow time.

He lost the dressing room towards the end of last year so im surprised he hasnt gone yet.

I was also told players they approached to sign for this year refused to sign purely because of Joyce.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Well let's assume for a minute that it's true. The first problem is a lack of transfer fees, which would compensate City for the loss of their best asset. Even so, there's no benefit in keeping a player that wants away. Let go, get someone else in. Like Ross? I'd also accept that the story could be a furphy. We'll almost certainly never know. 

The team isn't playing like there's a happy dressing room, or that the players are playing for Wazza

15 hours ago, Dylan said:

“Melbourne City for me, in attack they’re pretty insipid,” Kosmina said. “They’re impotent, they don’t penetrate very well, they need someone like Bruno in that side that can get a ball into feet and do the dirty stuff, because that’s what he does. He gets involved and he holds balls up and he causes problems for defenders”.

I'd also add that we are insipid and impotent in defence, the issue that Joyce identified that he would fix. The culture is also no better, exactly what has he contributed to the men's team?

9 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I'd also add that we are insipid and impotent in defence, the issue that Joyce identified that he would fix. The culture is also no better, exactly what has he contributed to the men's team?

IMO he did bring quite a lot to the team  for much of last season - a new resilience, will to come from behind, a new training discipline etc. But in hindsight I see him as a "Mr. Fixit" manager, someone to come in for a few months to try to turn a club around rather than someone for the longer term. His style will eventually alienate the players, and that is what has happened.

Easy to be wise after the event I suppose. A one-year contract is what he should have had. We'd be saying completely different things about him now had that been the case.

More concerning for me is the point made by several others on the Forum. Joyce is not working alone in this - the quality of the assistant coaches is not great and I have big questions about Petrillo, and even Munn. I don't see a healing influence anywhere in the club.

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Joyce is not working alone in this - the quality of the assistant coaches is not great and I have big questions about Petrillo, and even Munn. I don't see a healing influence anywhere in the club.

I don't like drawing comparisons to the tard, but their management get on the front foot quite early in the event in any potential disharmony.

Weak leadership breeds a weak culture so the consistency of these type of events at this club is of no surprise.

Drain the swamp.

55 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I don't like drawing comparisons to the tard, but their management get on the front foot quite early in the event in any potential disharmony.

Weak leadership breeds a weak culture so the consistency of these type of events at this club is of no surprise.

Drain the swamp.

Munn has got to go! Surprised he can even stand up that spineless runt!

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Munn is the major problem here. Can not drive a culture of success to save himself.

is absolutely invisible as a "CEO" - and if CFG have marginalized his position (I doubt it as nothing much changed from heart to cfg) then they need to understand it is the most important position at the club.

In a salary capped league, Wazza needs to be managed to the point that he can not simply turn from our 'good' players. You can not simply buy success like other places here. 

Zero doubts - Munn & Joyce = out of their depth in their positions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CityHeart said:

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Munn is the major problem here. Can not drive a culture of success to save himself.

is absolutely invisible as a "CEO" - and if CFG have marginalized his position (I doubt it as nothing much changed from heart to cfg) then they need to understand it is the most important position at the club.

In a salary capped league, Wazza needs to be managed to the point that he can not simply turn from our 'good' players. You can not simply buy success like other places here. 

Zero doubts - Munn & Joyce = out of their depth in their positions.

Couldn't agree more.

Sack Munn, Sack Joyce

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cloughie said:

I think you could be close to the mark, especially since Dave Lewis has "written" the article.

The article itself is illogical crap, attempting to link Sydney's alleged attempt to sign Bruno with Joyce dropping Bruno for a match in round 5. It appears to be a very clumsy attempt to make Bruno look difficult and selfish.

1 hour ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

I think you could be close to the mark, especially since Dave Lewis has "written" the article.

The article itself is illogical crap, attempting to link Sydney's alleged attempt to sign Bruno with Joyce dropping Bruno for a match in round 5. It appears to be a very clumsy attempt to make Bruno look difficult and selfish.

Bruno still had a year to run on his contract anyway? So any offer from Sydney would have to include a transfer fee or City simply mutually terminating his deal in order to strengthen a direct competitor... Neither of which could or would happen.

Think you're right, seems like the journo has an anti-city Bruno agenda.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, haz said:

Okay. Lets flip the dice here. Say we had a different coach (one that is alright, and relatively liked). Bruno dogs the team and goes join Sydney for more money....... What are your reactions then?

I would be pleased - fresh start. Not impressed with Joyce and I hate to say it but for marquee money we can get better than Bruno in its current form.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is "inadequate skin folds". 

Basically sports science crap that doesn't take into account

skill level,

vision,

creativity,

team work,

attitude,

x-factor ability for being a match winner,

player morale,

team chemistry,

hardness at the ball,

killer instinct,

and all abilities that are needed to be competent for certain positions.

A very important metric for Wazza though.

:hkpalm:

• Like 2

• jw1739 locked this topic