Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

I think I am very much overreacting to say sell him. It was just the frustration of the performance of last night and he did have chances but missed. I would say to drop him for a game but that would be too ridiculous considering we dont have another fucking striker. Enough of this false nine shit, just play him as an outright striker

Edited by xXCiTyZeNXx

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

I don’t understand why we keeping looking for excuses why Bruno is manhandled and should be awarded more fouls etc....the fact is he goes to ground way to easy and it cost our team. It just doesn’t work anymore. He needs to adapt like you said. Look at other strikers around us, their aim is break away from their markers and not wait for contact. Also like it or not but he doesn’t have or seems to have lost the technique to play in those tight spaces - this is purely based on the percentage based turnovers on his account.

It's both. Australian referees need to do more to protect technical players or we risk just becoming a Hacks League

• Like 1

I'd have said that McGree and Vidosic are our secondary strikers. That's what it looks like so far. I'd also make the point that if a player - any player - is being double- or even triple-teamed by defenders, as Bruno often is, that must mean that we have player(s) free somewhere on the park. We've got to learn how to use those free players. This is the job of the coaching team. I may be misreading Joyce completely, but I do wonder whether he is so pre-occupied with super-fitness that we're not spending enough time on other aspects of coaching.

Bruno has always polarised opinions, as did Fernando Brandan, and latterly Daniel Arzani. I'm pleased to see Joyce defending his player in today's Age. Challenges/tackles etc. have to be judged on their merits, not on pre-conceived ideas on divers, South Americans, or any other criterion. That tackle by Cisse on Bruno was a penalty every day of the week in every league around the world. As City supporters we need to stand with Bruno, not against him. I, as did many others, disliked Berisha intensely, but his club always backed him all the way, as did Victory fans.

• Like 4

We simply don't have a playmaker like Mooy or Novillo were. Mcgree is closest but not the same type of player. Without having to worry about two other dangerous players in our team, the opposition are able to crowd Bruno with 2-3 players each time. Add to that Bruno's reputation with fouls and you can see why he has been ineffective so far.

Mind you that it has only been 2 games so far this season. Nothing to stress about yet.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Anonymous again. Just doesn't seem to be up for it, looks dejected and isn't battling away and winning the ball anymore. 

I watched him closely tonight, stands around a lot and not coming into the ball enough, this is one of the main reasons we go side ways a lot. There is no movement up front.

2 minutes ago, haz said:

We know bruno has the skill. He just can't keep getting balls on the wing with his back turned. The other players in the team are not giving him anything. We really need a playmaker.

I’m sorry I’m slowly jumping off the Brunowagon. I honestly think his ball skill and first touches aren’t marquee worthy anymore. Yeah sure he gets less possesion but he has 50% turnover ratio when he does get the ball. Yeah sure it’s a team issue but we can’t keep protecting him forever.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’m sorry I’m slowly jumping off the Brunowagon. I honestly think his ball skill and first touches aren’t marquee worthy anymore. Yeah sure he gets less possesion but he has 50% turnover ratio when he does get the ball. Yeah sure it’s a team issue but we can’t keep protecting him forever.

Sorry to say it but he's lost it. Was never the same after the injury. Not a marquee standard player any more. Living on past glories and goodwill. Hope to be proven utterly wrong, and he's not getting much help. 

• Like 1

He's getting quadruple teamed with no support whenever he gets near the attacking third. Put me down as someone who is utterly convinced that Bruno and McCormack would have been absolutely brilliant together. It would have just given that bit of space and time that both need to operate. There's no way you could put this level of attention on Tuna if McCormack was next to him, Ross would have a field day.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Bruno barely gets service and when he does he is swamped by 3 or 4 defenders. 

Excuses....he doesn’t make the runs, stands around and looses the ball even with one defender behind him. Plus he keeps the ball with him way too long. We should stop comparing him to a squad player, he is our marquee on bigger money then everybody else so we expect more. I’m a Tuna fan but he starts to annoy me.

Edited by Mr MO

Two things that really worried me about his game tonight:

1. The amount of times he got caught off side in just general passing play. Looked like he wasn't concentrating.

2. That chance in the second half where he was running towards goal. He just put his head down and ran towards goal like an 8yr old. He inevitably lost it when the cavalry of defenders caught him, with the turnover leading to the second goal.

He's 31 now and sadly it's becoming clear that he isn't the player that he was. The system we play - if you can call it a system - doesn't suit him either, so the two factors are combining to work against him. Not going to call "time" just yet, but I suspect that this is his last season with us.

I thought that in the first half he was actually passing the ball off more fluently than in recent matches? But in the end he'd descended into rabble status, just like the rest of them. Based on last night, De Laet is nowhere near a marquee either.

• Like 2

im ok with our squad generally this year except our lack of #10 - vidosic is no first 11 player.  and this is impacting our attack in the final 3rd.

problem with fornaroli is the lack of competition for his spot.  he should be able to get hooked and subbed if he is off his game.  there was no one on the bench, no other striker in the match day squad, to replace him.

8 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Nah. Seriously. I've watched him for long enough, it may not be his personal skill decreasing but if our system doesn't suit him, he still ends up shit. He literally hasn't done anything meaningful since probably Mooy Novillo area. 

it's a pretty high standard to be held to. that era was up there with the best attacking football ever played in australia.

On 03/11/2018 at 0:49 PM, AntiScum said:

will be asking for a transfer come January

Bruno is on a good marquee contract. I don't think he'd get an offer in Australia anywhere near what he's rumoured to be on. Meaning he'd have to go to another country - and IMO that would mean in Asia somewhere - if he wanted to continue play football, or he'd have to take a huge drop in income.

IMO we can only hope that he will regain his confidence and form. If the current situation continues I think we'll be saying goodbye at the end of this season. With a great deal of sadness on the part of everyone.

Will City ever get the best out of Bruno Fornaroli?

Tim Palmer

It has been ashamedly easy to forget how good Bruno Fornaroli was in his first two seasons in the A-League.

Arriving from Uruguay with a not-so-prolific reputation, he quickly turned into one of the A-League’s deadliest strikers.

With 29 goals in 25 games, he won the Golden Boot in his debut year, then followed it up with 17 goals in 2016-17.

Fornaroli has many cutting edge qualities. He is mobile and strong, able to hold the ball off defenders and turn quickly with his back to goal to create shooting opportunities. He is also clever at running in behind defences, as well as creating effective counter-attacks by linking up quickly with teammates on the break.

He’s also simply a very good finisher, particularly inside the penalty box.

In his first two seasons, he was spoilt by the attacking talent supporting him. Harry Novillo, another import, was a devastatingly quick and powerful wide forward, while Aaron Mooy was blossoming into a star playmaker.

Citys Aaron Mooy (left) is tackled by Victorys Fahid Ben Khalfallah

Aaron Mooy in his City days (AAP Image/David Crosling)

To fit all three attackers into the same side, then-coach John van ‘t Schip switched to a 3-5-2 system, allowing Fornaroli and Novillo to play together high up the pitch and constantly cause opposition teams problems. Their rapid counter-attacks – often ending with Novillo cutting inside to finish from the left, or Fornaroli poaching inside the penalty box – were highly effective.

A broken ankle scuppered Fornaroli’s 2017-18 season, with new coach Warren Joyce only able to select the striker in Round 20. Fornaroli still managed a respectable goal tally, finishing with ten in five matches.

This season, though, three matches into the A-League season and Fornaroli is yet to score. He, of course, scored that late winner in the FFA Cup, and it is still early in the season, but watching him play has been frustrating – he’s rarely been in positions where he can be most effective, nor really showing signs of being the all-round goal threat he is at his best.

The same can be said for Melbourne City as a whole. The derby win in the opening round was a superb way to start the season, but it increasingly feels like an outlier. The 3-0 defeat to Sydney FC was sobering, and not just in the scoreline: City barely managed a goal threat against a team playing their third match in seven days.

Fornaroli, in particular, was isolated. City’s strategy in attack, to be blunt, was limited. In a 4-2-3-1 shape, the back four passed the ball horizontally across the pitch, struggling to play killer passes into the midfield or front four.

The two central midfielders, Kearyn Baccus and Luke Brattan, stayed in flat positions behind Sydney FC’s front two, not able to connect the side as they attempted to build up. Only rarely did Brattan or Baccus move to get free, but their rotations were often simplistic, either dropping very deep in between the centre-backs, or rotating wide into the full-back position. Sydney’s block was not affected by these movements, and space did not open up for City to play through.

This meant the majority of the team’s build-up was in a slow U-shape – circulating around the outside of the defensive block, and few penetrating passes centrally. On the odd occasion, one of the centre-backs would play a hopeful long pass towards Fornaroli. For all his strength, he was rarely going to win an aerial battle against Alex Wilkinson and Jop van der Linden.

That, sadly, was the extent to which Fornaroli was really involved. City struggled to create genuine goalscoring opportunities, especially as Sydney balanced excellently when in attack to prevent counter-attacks.

Brun Fornaroli dribbles the ball

Bruno Fornaroli on the attack. (AAP Image/Julian Smith)

The wider issue, really, is that it is difficult to see how things will improve for Fornaroli. He was so effective in those first two seasons primarily because there was so much pace and mobility surrounding him, as well as the creative forward passing of Mooy.

Now, City’s front third players are Dario Vidosic, Florin Berenguer and Anthony Caceres – good support, but not the type of quick and dynamic attackers to help create space for Fornaroli. The central midfielders, meanwhile, just have to make sure they protect the defence. There is no onus on them to create chances for the strikers, especially not when Joyce opts for a centre-back like Osama Malik or Michael Jakobsen in midfield, as he did last season.

The closest player to a genuine goal threat, aside from Fornaroli, is Riley McGree, summed up by his superb intervention off the bench in the Melbourne Derby. Whether McGree can provide that energy and spark over a whole season, though, is questionable.

City will inevitably grind out results. Joyce has them well-organised without the ball, and the side will always be a threat on the break and from set pieces.

For those yearning for the glorious, creative play that made Fornaroli a star though, the wait may be a little longer.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/11/07/will-melbourne-city-unlock-the-forgotten-genius-of-bruno-fornaroli/

Pretty much what I have been saying. With no intensity and no playmaker, Bruno will not score goals. Would be no different if we had Bono or Le Fondre as our striker

City will inevitably grind out results. Joyce has them well-organised without the ball, and the side will always be a threat on the break and from set pieces.

Also this statement pisses me off. I don't want to just 'grind out' results. I want us to beat teams convincely and always be a threat!

Edited by haz

13 minutes ago, haz said:

Also this statement pisses me off. I don't want to just 'grind out' results. I want us to beat teams convincely and always be a threat!

Yeah, but what we want and what we get are very different things from our CFG Overlords.

CFG have bought into the A-league for a reason that has nothing to do with what we as subjugated hoi polloi want. They are more football colonialist than benign owners.

On 02/11/2018 at 11:00 PM, SF33 said:

He's getting quadruple teamed with no support whenever he gets near the attacking third. Put me down as someone who is utterly convinced that Bruno and McCormack would have been absolutely brilliant together. It would have just given that bit of space and time that both need to operate. There's no way you could put this level of attention on Tuna if McCormack was next to him, Ross would have a field day.

This.

Also the whole team has been playing shit. Put a decent playmaker near him and he'll flourish. Instead we have Caceras :droy:

Woop woop another top right corner with the right boot - savior, hero I don't know anymore - I rather see him put the normal chances away and be 2 or 3 up.

I love the guy but I hope we have all seen the game tonight. Where he clearly keeps the ball with him for that long that he gets surrounded by defenders and turns over possession - No No he isn't being doubled teamed or triple teamed, it take him ages to take proper control of the ball and loses over sight of players around him besides he is too busy turning to his right foot for another predicted shot. I keep saying this he needs adapt and to start setting up more play, too many selfish touches at the moment. setup play for others and Bruno can take the taps in himself still be on the score sheet. 

3 hours ago, haz said:

See what happens when Bruno gets the ball on top of the box with his back NOT facing the goal

Another top right corner goal, he scores one of those every 4 games - would love to see more of Bruno again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Another top right corner goal, he scores one of those every 4 games - would love to see more of Bruno again.

Lately he has received the ball in that position about once every four games.

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, haz said:

Who wants to place  bet that we will see Bruno at Adelaide next season?

That would be like coming home early to find your wife in bed with your best mate.

I would not like to see Bruno at another existing A-League club, and I doubt that any other City supporter would either. Unfortunately, I can't see City retaining him as a marquee, nor can I see him staying if Joyce is still manager.

It might be bearable to see him at Team11 if we do see that club and expansion next season.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That would be like coming home early to find your wife in bed with your best mate.

I would not like to see Bruno at another existing A-League club, and I doubt that any other City supporter would either. Unfortunately, I can't see City retaining him as a marquee, nor can I see him staying if Joyce is still manager.

It might be bearable to see him at Team11 if we do see that club and expansion next season.

Why the fuck are we entertaining the notion of Fornaroli leaving over Joyce.

Fuck I am mad after lastnight. Usually I am generous and give the benefit of the doubt. Lastnight was attrocious 

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Would lose even more supporters haha. What is the capacity of CB Smith Reserve?

13 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Why the fuck are we entertaining the notion of Fornaroli leaving over Joyce.

Fuck I am mad after lastnight. Usually I am generous and give the benefit of the doubt. Lastnight was attrocious 

Bruno is out of contract at the end of this season. He lives for his wife and children and to play football. I just can't see him settling for a bit part at City if he gets an offer elsewhere.

Mind you I predict that Joyce will leave at the end of the season, if he hasn't gone before, and that might enable us to keep Bruno somehow.

• jw1739 locked this topic