Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, AXIOM said:

You gota love our Bruno hes a gun.

Best part was when he was talking about the time he first got the the club. 

Was loled when he was talking people saying  saying g'day, to him and then describing  aussie talk as not being normal english.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Simo said:

Article in the herald sun say it could be his last season with the club. I think they would like to keep him but not for over million dollars. They would probably like him to go inside cap if he stays

Unless he scores less then 10 goals, Why would they not try and put him on a lesser contract?

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Good player, but wouldn't he be classed as a visa player if he plays for an Australian club (he's a Kiwi)?

Can't say I even thought of that, he probably would. 

Although I think that kiwi players shouldn't be visa players as we have their main team in our comp. That's a completely different issue 

10 minutes ago, Inchcolm said:

I'm in the minority as I think he can still come good. But we need to attack quicker and get help to him sooner. He looks isolated up front. 

It’s all in his own control, cut out the diving stay on your feet to start with. When’s the last time you’ve seen Bruno taken one touch or set up a one two? It seems always the same, not running away from your marker but hold him up and wait for him to run in your back. When played in, takes way too many touches.

Bruno is also partly responsible for our poor forward slow play, players who play Bruno in, stop running as they very rarely get the one two back. Saying that it might also be that he just doesn’t trust his wingers. 

Edited by Mr MO

Genuinely worried that Bruno may be a spent force, he seems to have lost his initial explosiveness to get some space between himself and a defender to create a shooting chance. Plus his composure in front of goal is reminiscent of David Williams. Only early days but age and last seasons injury look to have been seriously detrimental, hopefully he can turn it around but Wazzas style of play is a complete contrast to when Bruno flourished with Mooy and Novillo.

It's a tough one isn't it. Such a club legend already, so must be given benefit of the doubt... Plus it's still only very early season.

I do believe the 4-2-3-1 setup doesn't suit him, especially when he is such marked man too. Having the wingers higher up in a 4-3-3 or even a 2 striker setup may be better for him as he gets some support - though I'm not sure how much he'll use them as he looks to have become a more 'selfish' player these days.

One more thing (for the millionth time), his left foot totally sucks.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rass said:

It's a tough one isn't it. Such a club legend already, so must be given benefit of the doubt... Plus it's still only very early season.

I do believe the 4-2-3-1 setup doesn't suit him, especially when he is such marked man too. Having the wingers higher up in a 4-3-3 or even a 2 striker setup may be better for him as he gets some support - though I'm not sure how much he'll use them as he looks to have become a more 'selfish' player these days.

One more thing (for the millionth time), his left foot totally sucks.

Far too early for people to be getting on his back for this and that. As I see it he's involved in a lot of the forward moves that we make, and can't be deemed too selfish. Plus he's not being paid free-kicks etc. as discussed elsewhere - yesterday he's clearly manhandled down inside the box and a penalty was not given.

IMO the issues around our scoring (or some would say lack of it) are tactical rather than personnel.

• Like 6

major issue as the squad has so little goals in it to be begin with.

Thought we needed another striker to begin with, if this keeps up will need another two but will obviously do nothing about it. 

Gonna call it early - unless this bloke's form dramatically improves or we can somehow tweak it to create the goal scoring monster again, we can basically write another season off before it begins. No league-quality no10, no league-quality scorer. Not gonna go far.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Far too early for people to be getting on his back for this and that. As I see it he's involved in a lot of the forward moves that we make, and can't be deemed too selfish. Plus he's not being paid free-kicks etc. as discussed elsewhere - yesterday he's clearly manhandled down inside the box and a penalty was not given.

IMO the issues around our scoring (or some would say lack of it) are tactical rather than personnel.

let's be honest, he goes down way too easily and it is coming home to roost. Cant blame anyone but himself for not getting paid free kicks IMO.

• Like 4

Part of the problem is that the opposition knows they can safely play really tight on Bruno, and manhandle him without major fear of giving away a foul. There was a bunch of times yesterday when he was literally butchered, without a free kick. And not awarded what looked to be a pretty clear pen.

Bruno likes to play in tight spaces, and with contact, but as the refs aren’t smart enough here to be able handle that style, and adjudicate with confidence, he’ll either need to tweak his game or he needs a 2nd striker in support

• Like 1

I don't at all think Bruno is done, not at all. But he has been here 3 seasons now, and I think teams are working out how to play him more effectively 

The first season in particular he was taking the piss cause defenders had it all wrong against him

It happens to all good strikers here, berisha was more effective when he first came, so was Andy keogh (he isn't in same class as other 2, but the point remains) 

Bruno needs to get back to doing what he does best. He will still probably score 15 goals this year, but I don't think he is going to reach the heights of season 1

He is being played wrong as he is playing as a target false 9 so that the wingers can cut in behind and central.

Problem No. 1 is that he himself is more dangerous getting in behind the defence and being fed quality balls.

Problem 2 is that the wingers are low on quality and are ball carriers rather than good passers of the ball, and low on shot quality hence why they a forced wide with slow ball movement.

Problem 3 the above is causing Bruno to second guess himself so his instinctive goal poaching is suffering.

Problem 4 we have no dangers from outside the box so Bruno gets swamped as he is the only real goal threat.

Problem  5 and indirectly related is that the slow ball movement, ball carrying, possession based tactics don't suit him as he loves scoring on the break but unfortunately we don't have quality passers of the ball to move the ball quickly and accurately.

Wazza needs to change the game style to suit Bruno so we can score goals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Part of the problem is that the opposition knows they can safely play really tight on Bruno, and manhandle him without major fear of giving away a foul. There was a bunch of times yesterday when he was literally butchered, without a free kick. And not awarded what looked to be a pretty clear pen.

I don’t understand why we keeping looking for excuses why Bruno is manhandled and should be awarded more fouls etc....the fact is he goes to ground way to easy and it cost our team. It just doesn’t work anymore. He needs to adapt like you said. Look at other strikers around us, their aim is break away from their markers and not wait for contact. Also like it or not but he doesn’t have or seems to have lost the technique to play in those tight spaces - this is purely based on the percentage based turnovers on his account.

Edited by Mr MO

• jw1739 locked this topic