Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

Bruno could feature in City's friendly against Guangzhou R & F on Tuesday and be in the squad for Sydney.

Article:

Departed striker Ross McCormack recieves praise from Luke Bratten
DAVID DAVUTOVIC, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only

MIDFIELDER Luke Brattan says Melbourne City is indebted to Ross McCormack, but he is confident the team can cover the departed striker.

City travels to Brisbane Roar without a recognised striker, Bruno Fornaroli left behind as it errs on the side of caution after his five-month ankle injury absence.

Fornaroli, who resumed full-scale training 10 days ago, will feature in Tuesday’s friendly against Guangzhou R & F at City Football Academy and could return to the squad for Saturday’s home clash with Sydney FC.

Marcin Budzinski or Dario Vidosic are likely to start upfront on Sunday as City enters an A-League game with McCormack for the first time since November.

Brattan praised McCormack, who is back at Aston Villa after 14 goals in 17 games.

“We wouldn’t be where we are without him,’’ Brattan said.

“He’s a fantastic player and it was a pleasure to play with him. It’s disappointing (he left) but I think we’ve got the quality to cover that.

Ross McCormack is back at Aston Villa after the club blocked a loan extenstion.

“Bruno’s not far away and even when Ross missed a few games we dealt with it.

“Everyone’s ready for him (Fornaroli) to come back and I think he is as well. He’s worked his arse off and he looks as fit as he ever has been.

“I’m just excited to see what he produces.

“We’ve played some decent football and had some fantastic results and we’re on a mini run. That means nothing unless it continues.”

Midfielder Brattan produced arguably his best performance of the season last week in a 2-2 draw with Newcastle Jets after having been overlooked in the early rounds.

“I wouldn’t put the team’s form just down to me. I’m enjoying playing again. I missed on the first five or so games,’’ he said. “The gaffer told me I have to work hard to get back into the team and I’ve done that ... I’m just enjoying playing. The form is a reflection of me enjoying football.

“I’m trying not to overthink it, just play the team and the squad that we’ve got, we should be playing fantastic football and winning.”

“I want to come back” – Bruno Fornaroli takes another step on the road to recovery

By Joey Lynch  
February 7, 2018

Bruno Fornaroli took another step on the road to a return to A-League football on Tuesday afternoon, going 70 minutes in a friendly against Chinese Super League side Guangzhou R&F at the City Football Academy in Bundoora.

Taking another step in his recovery from the right ankle fracture he suffered in an FFA Cup tie against Hakoah in August 2017, Fornaroli started the game lined up in his familiar spot atop City’s forward line.

The Uruguayan talisman would have a bright opening to proceedings, knocking in a Nick Fitzgerald cross to open the game’s scoring in the 14th minute.

Despite rarely getting out of first gear during the match, the performance boded well for Fornaroli’s ongoing recovery, with the 30-year-old absorbing several knocks from his Chinese opponents without a second thought.

Despite his ankle being heavily iced after his substitution, Fornaroli stayed on the bench to watch the conclusion of the game, and indicated after the game that his substitution and subsequent icing was planned by the City staff prior to the match.

“It’s only for the reaction, not for nothing strange,” Fornaroli said.

“It’s nothing bad so it’s a good point for me.

“We already talked about it (70 minutes of game time), play 70 minutes not force it. I fealt great to continue”

It was Fornaroli’s second hit out as part of his rehab, his first coming last week in a behind closed doors friendly against South Australian NPL side MetroStars.

And Fornaroli said he was pleased with the way his recovery is progressing.

“(I’m) good, happy, it’s a good session for me,” he added.

“I feel great to play again. We continue to prepare to come back.

“It’s a very good step for me because last week I got the injection and got a little bit of rest and crossed my fingers that that injection worked.

“And today I feel great.

“Tomorrow is an important day to see my reaction and to try to feel great and continue to try and come back to the team.”

Asked about the possibility of making his A-League return this Saturday when City hosts runaway league leaders Sydney FC, Fornaroli could not hide his enthusiasm.

“This question’s not for me at the moment, it’s for the coach,” he grinned.

“I want to come back, I don’t care. I don’t care. Now is for me.

“I feel happy with this game because I touched the ball again and I can play and I feel like a soccer player again.

“If the coach feels that I am ready to play for the first 45 or to go to the bench I’m happy to take it.”

http://dailyfootballshow.com/i-want-to-come-back-bruno-fornaroli-takes-another-step-on-the-road-to-recovery/

I wouldn't play him.

2 reasons.

Firstly best case scenario for him is 30 minutes tops against Sydney. Our next game will be two weeks later he would be even more ready. So no need to have him and risk anything. 

Secondly if and its a big if, we get a result against Sydney and we do it without Bruno that would create extra pressure when we play them again possibly in a big finals game. Or alternatively if we lose we can fall back on the "we didn't have our best striker" line. 

But having him involved would give the players a boost not to mention the fans but I reackon the first points outweigh the third.

So for me keep the powder dry. And have him warm up pre match but not involved at all just leave him an unused sub.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, playmaker said:

If he is ready then play him.

No need keeping a fully fit star off the pitch especially when his inclusion will give us the best chance of winning.

Exactly this.

The team is immediately better the moment this bloke steps on the pitch for us, I don't care what anyone says.

If he's ready play him.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Exactly this.

The team is immediately better the moment this bloke steps on the pitch for us, I don't care what anyone says.

If he's ready play him.

When you say ready what is it exactly are you say he is ready for?

A start and maybe 70mins like recently or a 20 to 30 off the bench.

I can't see him playing 90mins until March. 

All I'm saying is both scenarios are both risky if he breaks down and why not sacrifice 70mins or 30 mins to give him another 14 days and the likelihood of playing out the season and hitting peak form come finals time.

This is entirely a physios/medical decision and the way they handled Ross gives me confidence they will make the right decision. 

But never hurts to speculate regardless of the facts.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jovan said:

All I'm saying is both scenarios are both risky if he breaks down and why not sacrifice 70mins or 30 mins to give him another 14 days and the likelihood of playing out the season and hitting peak form come finals time.

If it is too risky then he won't play.

35 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This is entirely a physios/medical decision and the way they handled Ross gives me confidence they will make the right decision. 

If he is ready he plays.

The only reason he won't play is because he is not ready to do so.

14 minutes ago, playmaker said:

If it is too risky then he won't play.

If he is ready he plays.

The only reason he won't play is because he is not ready to do so.

Even if Bruno is an unused sub on the bench, it will boost his confidence being back out on the pitch

• Like 1

3 hours ago, haz said:

Even if Bruno is an unused sub on the bench, it will boost his confidence being back out on the pitch

Just to see him on the matchday list will be great! Imagine old mate reading out the names of the players i reckon he'll get a massive applause and thr crowd will in great spirits. 

1 minute ago, HeartOfCity said:

Just to see him on the matchday list will be great! Imagine old mate reading out the names of the players i reckon he'll get a massive applause and thr crowd will in great spirits. 

Yep exactly my point why he should be included

16 hours ago, Jovan said:

I agree completely. There's a world of difference between two 70-minute sessions at CFA in matches that don't matter and putting him out there against Sydney where he could be cut down again before he even gets going. Budzinski, Vidosic, Mauk and Arzani have shown that they work nicely together, so it's not critical to bring Bruno back if he's not 100% ready.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree completely. There's a world of difference between two 70-minute sessions at CFA in matches that don't matter and putting him out there against Sydney where he could be cut down again before he even gets going. Budzinski, Vidosic, Mauk and Arzani have shown that they work nicely together, so it's not critical to bring Bruno back if he's not 100% ready.

As Niko also said it would be impossible to be 100%. 

3 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Which is ridiculous. Wtf is the point of announcing a match squad if you can change it on the day?

For this exact reason, players returning from injury and having fitness tests on the day

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Which is ridiculous. Wtf is the point of announcing a match squad if you can change it on the day?

What other "new" information would there be to put up on the club and league web-sites? It's all just filler material.

• Like 1

The standing ovation as he got into the pitch was spine tingling. Loved it. Clubs aren’t just born they evolve and stories grow. Bruno will be one of those long lasting stories that’ll build this club. Making the statue already :up:

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

Wazza praises SFC at the end of this article.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/fornaroli-on-verge-of-tears-as-he-waited-to-make-his-comeback-20180211-p4yzy6.html

Fornaroli on verge of tears as he waited to make his comeback

Michael Lynch

Bruno Fornaroli admits he was close to tears as he stood on the sidelines waiting to make an appearance as a second-half substitute for Melbourne City on Saturday night.

Not because his team was being given the runaround by Sydney FC.

Emotions were running high for Bruno Fornaroli on his return to the A-League.

Emotions were running high for Bruno Fornaroli on his return to the A-League. Photo: AAP

But because he was overcome with the emotion of finally ending a six-month exile from the game he loves after breaking his ankle in a pre-season FFA Cup tie back in August last year.

Fornaroli is more than just City's best player; he is its leading goalscorer, club captain and heartbeat.

He missed his teammates and the simple joy of playing and scoring goals and there were times when he despaired of ever recovering properly and playing again.

''I don't know what I say now, because I am very disappointed about the result, but at the same time it's a great feeling for me to play again after six months,'' he said after making his return in what turned out to be a 4-0 loss.

''It's amazing to come back at AAMI Park, because I can feel the fans close to me, it's very important to push me up.''

Never one to hide his emotions, Fornaroli said he was welling up as he waited for the referee's signal to enter the pitch in the 64th minute as Warren Joyce, his coach, threw on another attacker to try to chase the game.

''I wanted to cry in this moment. It's not only the fans, there are so many things in my head because I really pushed myself a lot every day to come back, and I waited a lot of time for this moment. I am very happy.

''You have some days it's very difficult because I think I am feeling good, but when I start training, pain again, pain again, you have to go inside (for treatment and recovery). This is the worst moment for me, but I tried to not think back. I try to think in front. ''

Fornaroli should be much sharper when City next play away to Perth Glory on February 24.

''Now I have 10 days to prepare and rest and get fit, because it's different to play games than training. I have to try to find my level again.

''I feel good, but at the same time it's not my level. Sometimes I can't turn quickly, or my mind thinks something and my legs don't respond, they take another second. I want to catch up, I want to feel 110 per cent again.

''The reaction, the feeling inside the pitch, it will come back game by game, I only need time.''

Fornaroli played in a friendly last week against Chinese Super League club Guangzhou R&F, and it was after coming through that match that he and Joyce talked about him playing some role against the league leaders.

''For me it's day by day. Maybe one day I wake up and I can't walk. This week I did work after the friendly game, I didn't have a big reaction to the ankle. We talked and I said I am ready if you are happy to put me on the bench. We decided together.''

Fornaroli believes that despite the huge points gulf between Sydney and the rest, the finals system gives a team like City a chance at the championship.

''We have a lot of games in front and we have to prepare for the finals. I think we can finish in the top and try to win the finals this year.''

He was rueful about the ''goal'' he scored, which was ruled out for pushing.

''I don't think I am big to push the defenders and the big forwards. They say foul, I don't think it's foul. I can use my arm too ... only the defender uses the arm in this league is not correct. I think sometimes the referee has to think this through.''

Joyce was pleased enough with his star forward's return. Without Ross McCormack, City's finals hopes could rest squarely on the Uruguayan's shoulders.

''He certainly has not had three days training on the trot, so at the minute it’s a bit early to say. Obviously it's a bonus to get him out on the pitch. It’s a gamble at 2-0 (down) you throw him on, because you know how little he’s done really and we’ll just look at that in the coming weeks and see that he gets back-to-back days training."

The City coach was full of admiration for Sydney, who have now beaten City all three times they have met this season as well as in the FFA Cup.

''I think individually you can talk about (their) technical (ability) ... but the decision-making and the quality of the last ball, the decision of the final pass, decision when to dribble, when to shoot, the quality of the finish, that’s what they’ve shown consistently.''

• 3 weeks later...

My excellent Aussie adventure

Bruno Fornaroli - Contributor March 2, 2018

I’m always apologising for my English so if you are reading this and it sounds a bit funny, I hope you understand.

When I come to Australia in 2015, I don’t speak English. Maybe a few words. I learned some words in school in Uruguay like ‘how are you?’ but it was completely different when I came here.

People were saying ‘how aaaare ya?’ instead of ‘how are you?’ and I just didn’t understand. I thought maybe they asked me if I go to Hawaii or something like that.

My little girl is four years old. She come here when she was one-year-and-a-half, so she has lived more here than in my country. She go to school and she teach me English and she talk like very Aussie English, so it’s crazy. My little boy is born here, so I think if we stay a little time here in Australia he will be more Australian than Uruguayan.

This country opened the door for me and my family, and we are grateful to this country. I’m very happy to see my kids growing up here.

Someone asked me what happens if Uruguay and Australia meet at the World Cup this year. This is a big question. I think is possible they can meet in the quarter finals. Look, I’m from Uruguay and I have to defend my colours. Lucky Melbourne City colours are sky blue like Uruguay!

Of course I wish all the best for Australia and I’m very happy to see them go as long as possible and have a great World Cup. But if they play Uruguay, I think I can say I go for my country, of course.

I’m sure my Australian fans can understand this.

SUAREZ, CAVANI AND ME

I started to play football when I was three years old. Always I remember my mother and my dad told me ‘stop with the ball because you broke everything in the house’. But I play every minute I can and always I try to do everything better.

I grew up in Salto, which is the second largest city in Uruguay, I think 120 thousand people. It’s an amazing city which is only 15 minutes from Argentina across the river. Luis Suarez and Edinson Cavani were born there too, so the kids today in Salto love football because the best two strikers in the world today were born in our small city.

Imagine, two of the best number nines in the world, it’s crazy. I’m very happy for them because they represented not only Uruguay but my city.

People were saying ‘how aaaare ya?’ instead of ‘how are you?’. I thought maybe they asked me if I go to Hawaii.

The first time I saw Luis was on a bus going to the capital Montevideo. I was 12, maybe 13 years old and I see one guy like me. I was alone because my father and mother stay in Salto, and I don’t say nothing to him. But he talk to me and he ask ‘so you go to Montevideo to play football?’ and I say ‘yeah, how you know?’.

I don’t know who he was. I say ‘you don’t play here, I don’t see you here in Salto’, and he say ‘no, because I live in Montevideo, I come to see my parents here in Salto’ and he say ‘look, we play together because I go to play for Nacional in Montevideo too, so I see you on the training ground’.

From that moment – when I have the opportunity to go to Montevideo and play for a big team in Uruguay – I know that I want to be professional and I tell my family this, and I start every day to do everything to become a better player.

Suarez and I started to play together, and we play together till we were 17 or 18 years old. He always had a very strong mentality, very hungry, very hungry to become a big player and this was the big difference.

Every change Luis have, he has succeeded. He go to Ajax which is a big team, and people don’t know if he will be doing well there. He smash everyone.

Change again. Go to Liverpool and they say ‘oh, now it’s a different league, he can’t score there’. But he even better again.

Then he go to Barcelona. People say ‘mmm maybe it’s not his type of football, it’s more technical, maybe Luis is more strong but not technical enough’. But he won again.

So it’s crazy, for me it’s unbelievable. Maybe before Barcelona he was already a great number 9, everyone can say this. But not like today. Today he is an animal. It’s amazing, I think Suarez is the best number 9 in the world.

image: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/FORNAROLI_PV1_02_a.jpg

FORNAROLI_PV1_02_a.jpg Bruno Fornaroli celebrates scoring a goal for Uruguayan club Nacional

WHY THE MELBOURNE DERBY IS SPECIAL

I am very competitive. Always I play to win. I don’t want to play for draw, you know what I mean? This is my style. Before when I play for Nacional, which is the best team in Uruguay, they teach you that you have to win every game because we are a big team. This is what I want to do here.

Melbourne City, we are also a big team. At AAMI Park and away, wherever we play, we have to win. We have to take the responsibility to say we play for Melbourne City, that we are here because we are good players, you know?

I’m now feeling great after missing a lot of football with my ankle injury. It’s hard to watch the game when you can’t play. Many times I’ve touched the pitch and been sore and have to come in again. So now I feel great.

Of course I have pain in my ankle but I try to do everything every day to recover. I some days am training with pain but I think also when I come onto the pitch my mind forget a little bit the pain and I just only play, especially this game Friday against Melbourne Victory.

The Melbourne derby is a massive game. I love to play derbies and I can’t wait. I have played a lot of derbies with Nacional versus Peñarol. They all very special, all derbies have something different. This one is special because we win one, they win one. So we have to win this one, you know what I mean?

The Melbourne Derby is great also because I can feel the fans very close. You don’t need to put a fence to stop the fans jumping in, so you can stay very close to the fans. The Melbourne derby is very special for this.

#Tuna23⚽️ #together #Goal⚽️ #👀✌️ #derby⚽️⚽️#VAMOS 💪💪

A post shared by Bruno Fornaroli (@brunofornaroli) on Feb 14, 2016 at 12:00am PST

I NEVER WOULD HAVE DREAMED…

I remember it very well. Uruguay versus Australia in the penalty shootout in 2005.

I was 18-years-old and this was a big moment for my country because my country is very passionate about football. Everyone lives football. Everyone think before we play against Australia, we win and we are into the World Cup. No problem.

I knew nothing about Australia at the time. We think we have to win because we don’t know much about the Australian team. We think Australia played more rugby than football. We did not even know Australia play football. This was what people think in that moment.

But look what happened.

I can tell you, the whole country was sad because, I tell you again, my country lives for football. Always it is about football.

When we play the big derby there between Nacional and Peñarol, half of the country is very happy the next day. But when the national team is playing, it’s one country united, one country behind the national team. And in that moment it was very sad.

In that moment we said ‘come on, how is it possible that we lose?’. It was hard for the players and for the fans, it was such a big disappointment. But look, this is football. And in the end, you understand the other team plays and can win.

HAPPY STRAYA DAY! ❤️🇦🇺 #melbourne #australiaday #aussie #mate 😉

A post shared by Bruno Fornaroli (@brunofornaroli) on Jan 25, 2018 at 10:14pm PST

I think it was a good lesson for my country. After that day, we started to respect more. I think we try to understand that other countries also play football.

And now, here I am playing football in Australia.

Read more at https://www.playersvoice.com.au/bruno-fornaroli-excellent-aussie-adventure/#AKdvh84CEBCY0aY3.99
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

If there's one guy we can trust to give it 110%, this blokes the one :up:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/fornaroli-is-looking-for-finals-glory-to-cast-off-memory-of-dark-days-20180418-p4zacn.html

Fornaroli is looking for finals glory to cast off memory of dark days

By Michael Lynch
18 April 2018 — 4:44pm

Melbourne City skipper Bruno Fornaroli can hardly stop smiling.

It's not just the prospect of playing in an A-League final, nor the chance he has to lead his club to its first championship.

Happy days are here again for Bruno Fornaroli.

Happy days are here again for Bruno Fornaroli.

Photo: AAP

The Uruguayan is, quite simply, happy, relieved and delighted just to be playing football at all following the serious ankle injury which almost caused him to miss the entire season and might, had things not worked out as well as they have, curtailed his career.

Fornaroli, City's key striker, was injured in pre-season during an FFA Cup tie.

The 30-year-old required surgery on the broken bone, a painful prelude to months of rehabilitation, medical treatment, MRI scans and check-ups as he battled first of all to recover his poise and balance, then his strength and finally his fitness.

Match sharpness is something else, but fortunately for City, Fornaroli has recovered in time to play in their last six matches - scoring five goals in the process - and is relishing the opportunity to show how close he is to the old Fornaroli in Friday's first elimination final, against Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park.

But, he admits, there were dark days and melancholy moments when he feared, if only fleetingly, that he might not make it back,  even if right now he feels as good as he has done since being injured.

''I feel very good, very happy, I am enjoying this moment, it's a different week, it's the first final, a different feeling, because there are more people around, more media, more interviews, everyone is talking about the finals and the game, it's great,'' he said.

''It's been a very hard year for me at the start because I did very well in the pre-season, and the last month before the season started I got injured.

''I did my best to come back better and to come back quickly, and it's not easy.''

In those dark moments when he feared that he might not come back the player he was, or he suffered a setback when he had set his sights on returning earlier, it was the support of his teammates and family - wife Erica, daughter Frederica and new-born son Benicio -  who helped him through the ordeal.

''Sometimes I thought so (that he might not recover). Not now, but before. I still had big pain. When I tried to push myself in December - because I was crazy to try and come back early -  I set that date, but when I tried to push the pain is massive.

''The medical staff tried to control me, they told me I couldn't do more to prepare myself, it was time that I needed, and maybe this pain will never go.

''At the same time I was always believing in myself, and I say no, it's not the moment to stop playing.

''When you have worked hard  and you know it's going well and you think maybe you come back early and then you can't and you are disappointed, but my family was always there, I am very lucky.''

Fornaroli has tried to spin his injury and make a positive out of a negative. He believes that he learned about patience, endurance and strengthened mentally as a result of his time on the sideline. That, he says, has made him a better player and person.

''I worried about my ankle, but I think at the same time I win a lot. It's my first big injury and I have to work ridiculously hard, every day, push myself and try to do everything and I learn how hard it is, particularly to watch the game.

''This happened for a reason ... so that's why I think maybe I win more than I lose.''

He is happy with his form, scoring against Wellington last week in a surprising 2-1 loss in New Zealand.

''Maybe I lose a little bit of sharpness, the last game I start to feel a little bit better, I scored a goal, for a striker it's very important and it gives me confidence.

''Five goals in six games is not a bad return.''

Ever one to find a positive from a negative, Fornaroli jokes that losing to the Phoenix might even have been a blessing in disguise.

''We were going to finish third anyway, but now we have a second chance in the finals.

''Maybe we might have won against Wellington and lost the first final. That was the problem.

''So I think its good to wake up and play the final, it's a good learning experience before the final.''

Winning the title with City would, he says, be one of his great career achievements. He has two Uruguayan championship medals from his days with Danubio and Nacional, but ''winning the A-League with this club would be its first championship and make sure we are in the history book.''

26 minutes ago, malloy said:

I didn't realise Bruno was still captain :hmm:

We have such a large leadership structure its confusing.

So Jako is our captain on the pitch (who took Cahill's spot?), then we have the leadership group which Bruno is part of. 

But when Jako was out last game, Vidosic took the armband, so who knows. I think the author just got confused with last season.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Didn't even read the article, just love this guy and know how lucky we are that we have him at our club. 

Brandan could have been the same, but then he took a ??? to the knee

• Like 3

• jw1739 locked this topic