Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

9 hours ago, dr lime said:

I believe it was fracture of the fibula. If fractured right through (as opposed to a crack) this needs plate/screws to hold it together which I believe was the case with Bruno. 

This is because the ankle becomes unstable when the fibula is completely fractured, especially if it is low down close to the joint. Hard not to have significant ligament damage as well, although it depends on how it occurred.  That is, an impact from the side directly onto the bone may not affect ligaments as much but spraining your ankle so badly that it creates enough sideways force to fracture the fibula obviously creates a lot of ligament damage also. But usually some ligament damage  involved in any of these.  But the time it takes for surgery to put the plate/screws in, wait for the bone to heal and then take the plate/screws out again is usually more than enough for the ligaments to heal reasonably well. It's more an issue of getting the ankle functioning well again after a long period of inactivity, etc. Unlikely to be any major issues with the joint surfaces as the tibia (the other bone in the lower leg) supplies almost the entire articular/joint surface in the ankle.     

Fingers crossed he is back soon. 

It was tibia and fibula, an unstable fracture that requires fixation

Rumours of a setback for Bruno have been confirmed

Bruno Fornaroli’s recovery hits setback, Ross McCormack may see loan from Aston Villa extended

BRUNO Fornaroli has suffered a setback in his recovery from ankle surgery, Melbourne City coach Warren Joyce says.

And while stopping short of saying injury replacement Ross McCormack would definitely see out the entire season, Joyce said Fornaroli and McCormack could play together in the same side with “no problem” once the Uruguayan returns to full fitness.

EXCLUSIVE: Why Ange was right to quit Socceroos

VIDEO: Watch every EPL goal from round 21

ROBBIE SLATER: Gombau’s created an atmosphere of fear

Fornaroli broke his ankle in an FFA Cup Round of 16 game in August.

He had been tracking towards an early February return, but Joyce is now reluctant to put a time frame on his comeback.

39708b2ed0c3da8df1c51fd1c24ec4e7?width=650 Bruno Fornaroli injured his ankle in an FFA Cup match in August.

“He’s the same with anybody coming back from injury. They have ups and downs and highs and lows, it’s normal,” Joyce said.

“He was going fantastically well and then he had a bit of a snag and it puts him back.

“It was just a little bit of pain when he starts doing other things.

“Each level you step it up from the work you do or the running or the gym work, it also puts a different load on that part of the body.

“You get reactions, which is normal.”

There is a visa spot available for City to use after Fernando Brandan was moved on last month and City chiefs are known to have been investigating the possibility of using it on McCormack, whose loan period from Aston Villa ends in the coming weeks.

This is despite the striker’s sizeable wage.

f5fc296abbee5910665cbc66490aa82b?width=650 Ross McCormack’s current loan deal from Aston Villa ends in January.

Asked directly if he was interested in retaining McCormack, Joyce was evasive.

“Those are the sort of things you look at going into January and sit down and assess and see everything you can and can’t do,” he said.

“It’s not as simple as that. There’s Aston Villa in the equation, there’s Ross in the equation. There’s a lot.”

While Joyce was also less than certain about McCormack’s chances of starting against Western Sydney at ANZ Stadium on Monday night as he shakes off a minor knee injury, he was far more definitive about City’s ability to squeeze both Fornaroli and McCormack into the one line-up.

“I don’t see why they couldn’t integrate together,” he said.

“I don’t see that as a problem.”

a296e9d9287ea6cda1017055c03c40de
player

Mo Salah breaks Reds record

The clash against an under siege Wanderers is the last before City’s squad gets a significant shake-up.

Stefan Mauk, Bruce Kamau and Ruon Tongyik will miss most of January on under 23 international duty and there is speculation Neil Kilkenny is set to depart.

But new signings — attacker Dario Vidosic and central defender Harrison Delbridge — will be available for Wellington’s visit to AAMI Park on Saturday while Manny Muscat returns from suspension.

CITY’S RED CONNECTION WANDERS IF GOMBAU’S OK

WHILE Melbourne City will want to keep Western Sydney stuck in the mire on Monday night, there will be a handful of players in blue who have plenty of sympathy for the man at the helm of the opposition side.

Josep Gombau has endured a torturous time since taking over as Wanderers coach in October, having lost four and won just one of his six games in charge.

Worse were the 5-0 and 4-0 losses to Sydney FC and Newcastle respectively in the last three weeks which have piled all sorts of pressure on the Spaniard barely two months into his three-year contract.

bf573125a6f7a75e3847da9e7d5b1de2?width=650 Josep Gombau has endured a horror start to his time at Western Sydney Wanderers.

Gombau previously coached Adelaide for two seasons between 2013-15 and, after enduring a similarly torrid start there, later thrived, delivering United its first piece of silverware — the 2014 FFA Cup.

Former United players such as Jon McKain and Bruce Djite have been particularly vocal in publicly backing Gombau to turn things around at Wanderland.

At City, four of the club’s nine former Reds players — Osama Malik, Eugene Galekovic, Bruce Kamau and Marcelo Carrusca — all played under Gombau.

And Malik, there for Gombau’s entire two year South Australian stint, only has praise for what his one-time boss is capable of.

“Going into that first season I’m pretty sure there were a lot of people criticising him for the way he was trying to play,” Malik said.

f5a54c7747d512001c0479fd384bc3d4
player

Gombau looking for change

“I think we won one game in the first 10 rounds of that first season but then after that I think we were playing the best football in the league and he was the coach of the All Star team.

“He’s just someone who needs time and if you give him that time he can definitely work wonders.”

Malik backed McKain’s assertion that things would turn around with time, adding he sympathised with Gombau’s plight given he hasn’t had a pre-season to work with his new charges.

“You can’t really work on things and tinker with too much when you’re in the season and you’re playing for points,” he said.

“Especially when you’re going into Sydney derbies (as was the case on December 9) when everyone expects you to do well.

“With the way he plays, he doesn’t go away from what he wants to do and what he likes to do.

“I have great respect for him and I like the fact that he does what he wants to do.

“I’m sure if he’s given time he’ll prove to be a good signing for them.”

• Sad 2

IMO there's a tendency for people to be over-optimistic about a return to full match fitness after a player has a significant injury, such as a broken ankle or ACL rupture. It may be a controversial opinion, but we're almost at half-way in the season, plus 1-3 matches if we do qualify for the finals series, so perhaps it might be better for Bruno's overall recovery if he missed the whole season? He then doesn't have to push himself so hard. We have a good crop of young players who can come into the side, and we have injury -replacement options, for the rest of the season.

What I don't understand is why we did not seek an injury replacement player for the now-departed Brandan. That seems to me to have been a major mistake.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO there's a tendency for people to be over-optimistic about a return to full match fitness after a player has a significant injury, such as a broken ankle or ACL rupture. It may be a controversial opinion, but we're almost at half-way in the season, plus 1-3 matches if we do qualify for the finals series, so perhaps it might be better for Bruno's overall recovery if he missed the whole season? He then doesn't have to push himself so hard. We have a good crop of young players who can come into the side, and we have injury -replacement options, for the rest of the season.

What I don't understand is why we did not seek an injury replacement player for the now-departed Brandan. That seems to me to have been a major mistake.

Further heretical thought. Since the title is almost certainly well.beyond us, and Sydney look near unassailable, why not see this as a developmental year, badly disrupted by injury to our key attacking player, but which offers us the space both to sort out the club's culture and roster, and also to bring through youngsters who may well be both our future, and key parts of the future of the national side. I guess it's just about redefining what we think we can achieve during this season?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I keep seeing people that think we'll cut Bruno next, based on nothing other than their opinion and perception that Wazza doesnt like 'flair' players. Now to me that seems a pretty stupid conclusion, esp given as Chelo and Cahill asked to leave due to insufficient game time (that most would say was due to availability and team balance) and Brandan was cut due to not looking like the same player post injury (whether that's fair or not is a judgement call). And obv a striker is a completely different position to midfield in regards to defensive duties, not to mention Bruno's work rate is far superior to any of the aforementioned players.

But given i keep seeing it come up its obv a more popular opinion than im giving it credit for, does anyone actually think this is a serious possibility? If so, explain why.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

I keep seeing people that think we'll cut Bruno next, based on nothing other than their opinion and perception that Wazza doesnt like 'flair' players. Now to me that seems a pretty stupid conclusion, esp given as Chelo and Cahill asked to leave due to insufficient game time (that most would say was due to availability and team balance) and Brandan was cut due to not looking like the same player post injury (whether that's fair or not is a judgement call). And obv a striker is a completely different position to midfield in regards to defensive duties, not to mention Bruno's work rate is far superior to any of the aforementioned players.

But given i keep seeing it come up its obv a more popular opinion than im giving it credit for, does anyone actually think this is a serious possibility? If so, explain why.

Cos Wazza is racist bro

21 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Scaremongering that's all. People have got so used to whinging and moaning that they don't know what to do when things are going reasonably well.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

I just have this gut feeling we'll get rid of him and sign a more qualified striker for Wazzas style of play... Like Kerem Bulut

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I just have this gut feeling we'll get rid of him and sign a more qualified striker for Wazzas style of play... Like Kerem Bulut

Too ethnic for Wazza, I'll be expecting Grant Holt

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Praying a return just in time for the derby...btw how certain are we with Ross actually leaving tho :unsure:

FWIW I think a deal will be done to keep Ross, but it'll go right down to the wire, even to the deadline of the transfer window.  And looking at the numbers knocking around on what we've got left in our cap, I suspect now that this will be the only business we'll do, unless we move other players out (with Kilkenny gone I also think that's unlikely now). I suspect the plan is now to hold what we have and secure Ross.

7 hours ago, fensaddler said:

FWIW I think a deal will be done to keep Ross, but it'll go right down to the wire, even to the deadline of the transfer window.  And looking at the numbers knocking around on what we've got left in our cap, I suspect now that this will be the only business we'll do, unless we move other players out (with Kilkenny gone I also think that's unlikely now). I suspect the plan is now to hold what we have and secure Ross.

Im happy with our current squad, if they perform like last week I dont see any positions that need improvement (realistically).

Dare I say this has been the best squad we have ever had? *touch wood*

Melbourne City striker Bruno Fornaroli wants to become an Australian citizen and play for the Socceroos

MATT WINDLEY, Herald Sun

an hour ago

BRUNO Fornaroli wants to become an Australian citizen and play for the Socceroos.

But first and foremost the gun Melbourne City striker is hellbent on getting back on to the pitch with plenty of time to spare before his side’s finals campaign. Having fallen in love with Melbourne, Uruguayan Fornaroli is already looking into getting, first, a permanent visa and then citizenship for himself, his wife and two young children. The 30-year-old arrived in Australia in August 2015, so would likely have to wait until midway through 2020 to get citizenship — but the fan favourite has his club on the case exploring any opportunity there might be to fast-track the process. And if and when that time comes around, Fornaroli would be eligible to play for the Socceroos as he has never been capped by Uruguay.

Depending on when the 2022 World Cup is held Fornaroli would be either 34 or 35, so it is not out of the realms of possibility that the man who in 2015-16 scored an A-League record 25 goals in a season could play a role in helping his adopted country make it to Qatar.“If the opportunity comes I want to take it and I am happy to defend this country,” Fornaroli told the Herald Sun.“This country opened the door to me and my family and we are very grateful.“It’s a great national team. I would be very happy to play for Australia one day if they want me.”

Fornaroli required surgery to repair a break in his ankle suffered in the FFA Cup’s Round of 16 in August.He had been pegged for a late January, early February return, but as yet cannot pinpoint an exact comeback date.With the City future of on-loan striker Ross McCormack’s still up in the air, Fornaroli’s injury status is becoming all the more pertinent.But he insists he will be back well before April’s start to the playoffs.

“I feel good, happy,” he said.“At the start I said this date and that date, but then when I go to the pitch and it feel not right, I try to not say the date now.“I will come back only when I can give 100 per cent for the team. I hope that will be soon. I don’t know exactly when, but I hope soon. “It’s hard too because I might come back in three or four weeks, then there’s only about 10 games left (with finals) and then it’s another six months to wait to play. 'So sometimes I feel bad about that. But that is football.”

www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-striker-bruno-fornaroli-wants-to-become-an-australian-citizen-and-play-for-the-socceroos/news-story/8ccf1b18816bdf17f55d587278c0239e

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, haz said:

Yoof levels dont count for senior selection

I was under the impression that to change you had to be eligible for both nations at the time you played for one in youth. Happy to be corrected 

Just now, Dylan said:

Baby Tuna is Australian. Must be some kind of a fast track because of that? But I wouldn’t know I’m not a dirty foreigner

As a dirty foreigner my parents got it easier once I got it. Not sure the two are analogous though 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I was under the impression that to change you had to be eligible for both nations at the time you played for one in youth. Happy to be corrected

Ah no idea about that rule, didnt know it existed. So might be true

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I think that may be for dual nationals. Bruno is not a dual national, but seeking to become a naturalized Australian. See Ferenc Puskas - he played for Hungary, then became a naturalized Spaniard and played for Spain. Also Alfredo Di Stefano.

The relevant current FIFA statute, Article 7: Acquisition of a new nationality, states:

Any player ... who assumes a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category or any type of football] shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:
a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
b His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant association;
c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant association;
d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant association.

Edited by jw1739

There is some rule about it, cause the African left back that played for victory (I can't remember his name but he was good) wanted to play for Australia but couldn't cause he wasn't an Australian citizen when he played at youth level. From what I can recall 

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think that may be for dual nationals. Bruno is not a dual national, but seeking to become a naturalized Australian. See Ferenc Puskas - he played for Hungary, then became a naturalized Spaniard and played for Spain. Also Alfredo Di Stefano.

The relevant current FIFA statute, Article 7: Acquisition of a new nationality, states:

Any player ... who assumes a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match (either in full or in part) in an official competition of any category or any type of football] shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:
a) He was born on the territory of the relevant association;
b His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant association;
c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant association;
d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant association.

I think the best news out of that article is that Bruno will be with us for many years, if he contributes 15 goals a season that will be very handy.

1 minute ago, neio said:

There is some rule about it, cause the African left back that played for victory (I can't remember his name but he was good) wanted to play for Australia but couldn't cause he wasn't an Australian citizen when he played at youth level. From what I can recall 

Adama Traoré

Since he left Victory he has played for Basel and now Göztepe  (Turkey). Hes also made 10+ apperances for Ivory Coast

4 minutes ago, haz said:

I think the best news out of that article is that Bruno will be with us for many years, if he contributes 15 goals a season that will be very handy.

That's it for me too. We've been wanting players who stayed around and became part of the fabric and culture of the club. Bruno looks to be planning to do just that, and Wazza is making positive noises too. Very good news, and hoping for a swift return.

25 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

He was eligible for both at the time he played for Samoa though.

The rule was changed. That's what held up Cahill first playing for Australia. He was told that playing for youth teams did not count. He was told wrong. So he was ineligible to play for the Socceroos. They changed the rules a couple of years later to youth teams not counting and he was then included in the Socceroos. 

8 minutes ago, Deeming said:

The rule was changed. That's what held up Cahill first playing for Australia. He was told that playing for youth teams did not count. He was told wrong. So he was ineligible to play for the Socceroos. They changed the rules a couple of years later to youth teams not counting and he was then included in the Socceroos. 

Is it youth teams up to U19?? I thought the Olyroos counted for whatever reason...

• jw1739 locked this topic