Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

On 3/25/2017 at 3:24 PM, jw1739 said:

Much as I am a fan of Bruno, I think it's time we started to mix it up with penalties. I know as captain he's standing up and taking the responsibility, but I think there are occasions where he's becoming predictable. In hindsight I'd like to have seen Colazo take more - genuine left-footer. Certainly next season IMO we should have more options available.

Bruno is the sacred cow around here. Simply shouldn't take penalties. If anyone else had missed that many everyone would want to sack the manager and the board. In all other things he can continue being sacred.

• Like 3

It's admirable that he puts the responsibility back onto his shoulders as the captain and our best. 

...but sometimes it's even greater to put the hand up and say you're shit at something and delegate that responsibility to someone else. 

The time has well and truly come for that now.

...plus it will shut up those cock commentators who are making a big deal over the high percentage of his goals being pens this season. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, rass said:

It's admirable that he puts the responsibility back onto his shoulders as the captain and our best. 

...but sometimes it's even greater to put the hand up and say you're shit at something and delegate that responsibility to someone else. 

The time has well and truly come for that now.

...plus it will shut up those cock commentators who are making a big deal over the high percentage of his goals being pens this season. 

I Think what has happened is that Bruno has been practising penalties at training, the problem is that he's been taking them against Sorenson who can't save a penalty because he always jumps early. This is why Bruno has been missing them regularly because other keepers don't go early and wait :ph34r: #InsiderInfo #ForumExclusive

• Like 1

20 hours ago, haz said:

I Think what has happened is that Bruno has been practising penalties at training, the problem is that he's been taking them against Sorenson who can't save a penalty because he always jumps early. This is why Bruno has been missing them regularly because other keepers don't go early and wait :ph34r: #InsiderInfo #ForumExclusive

Wow! Green line for you, Sir!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Top 10 - No penalties

14  Brandan Santalab
13  Jamie Maclaren
13  Marco Rojas
13  Besart Berisha
12  Bobo
11  Adam Taggart
11  Andy Keogh

10  Alex Brosque
10  Roy Krishna
9   Tim Cahill
9   Bruno Fornaroli

Although I worship Bruno his season has actually been quite poor, but I would assume if he had scored his 5(?) missed penalties we would be thinking differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

Top 10 - No penalties

14  Brandan Santalab
13  Jamie Maclaren
13  Marco Rojas
13  Besart Berisha
12  Bobo
11  Adam Taggart
11  Andy Keogh

10  Alex Brosque
10  Roy Krishna
9   Tim Cahill
9   Bruno Fornaroli

Although I worship Bruno his season has actually been quite poor, but I would assume if he had scored his 5(?) missed penalties we would be thinking differently.

If he didnt have the season he had last year then we all would have said he has been a huge success this year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dylan said:

If he didnt have the season he had last year then we all would have said he has been a huge success this year. 

Thats true, bad by his high standards. The only other Heart/City striker we can compare him to is Williams, which doesn't say much.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Top 10 - No penalties

14  Brandan Santalab
13  Jamie Maclaren
13  Marco Rojas
13  Besart Berisha
12  Bobo
11  Adam Taggart
11  Andy Keogh

10  Alex Brosque
10  Roy Krishna
9   Tim Cahill
9   Bruno Fornaroli

Been poor because he has had FA service this season. If you look at the top scorers, they've had great service this season.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, haz said:

Top 10 - No penalties

14  Brandan Santalab
13  Jamie Maclaren
13  Marco Rojas
13  Besart Berisha
12  Bobo
11  Adam Taggart
11  Andy Keogh

10  Alex Brosque
10  Roy Krishna
9   Tim Cahill
9   Bruno Fornaroli

Is there a league table without penalties?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rass said:

Exactly, why does it even matter.

If Cahill took penalties he would be on 20 goals this term. Fornaroli would be on 9 and everyone would be saying Cahill is carrying the team. Penalties defiantly make some players look like they are scoring more than they actually are.

30 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Come on guys, I'm a big fan of Tuna but we are allowed to be a little critical here;

1. First touch and ball control is very average the last couple of game, nowhere as good as last year
  2. Keeps the ball with him too long, when is that last time you've seen him setup a one two or a one touch lay off when facing back against the goal?
  3. Seems to have no eye for teammates when in the box, head down turns to his right for same right footed curl over and over again
  4. Yelling and screaming at team mates and referees, he needs to be calmer and manage his frustration better
  5. The Flopperoli seems to be notch up from last season, constant waiting to be fault, slowing down play with it.

I do agree with poor service but all the above just doesn't help

1. Agree

2. Agree

3. Agree

4. Agree, again Im going whip this dead horse and say he was always wrong choice for captain

5. At times yes however he's getting nothing from refs and he is being fouled purposefully out of so many potential situations. If I were him I'd be a cunt and be doing the same to get someone sent off or get a free. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, n i k o said:

1. Agree

2. Agree

3. Agree

4. Agree, again Im going whip this dead horse and say he was always wrong choice for captain

5. At times yes however he's getting nothing from refs and he is being fouled purposefully out of so many potential situations. If I were him I'd be a cunt and be doing the same to get someone sent off or get a free. 

No. 4 is the key IMO. Very much the wrong choice, because being the bloke he is he tried too hard to make it work, to the detriment of his overall game. Same with penalties - you always need several players who are confident to take them (after all, the penaly shoot-out is part of our game whether we like it or not). But all of these are up to the coaching team to recognise and address. Ultimately it all comes back to team management really.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No. 4 is the key IMO. Very much the wrong choice, because being the bloke he is he tried too hard to make it work, to the detriment of his overall game. Same with penalties - you always need several players who are confident to take them (after all, the penaly shoot-out is part of our game whether we like it or not). But all of these are up to the coaching team to recognise and address. Ultimately it all comes back to team management really.

I just don't understand it. It was as plain as day before the season started that he should not be given the arm band. I don't care that he's been captain before. He's also been average in the past and never settled at a club as well. So to me his past captaincy and form is irrelevant given the season he had last year. His only responsibility should have always been to solely score goals. Nothing more. For this season to be more successful Sorenson should 100% been given the arm band and he should have played every fucking game. But due to shit house management this didn't happen. I piss on their man management and their football schooling. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

1. Agree

2. Agree

3. Agree

5. I agree, but he has called that on himself by going down way too easy in the past. Keep in mind, that he purposely slows down the play waiting to be fouled, by speeding up he can easily just avoid defenders running in the back of him and falling to the floor like a feather. 

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Come on guys, I'm a big fan of Tuna but we are allowed to be a little critical here;

1. First touch and ball control is very average the last couple of games, nowhere as good as last year
  2. Keeps the ball with him too long, when is the last time you've seen him setup a one two or a one touch lay off when facing his back against the goal?
  3. Seems to have no eye for teammates when in the box, head down turns to his right for same right footed curl over and over again
  4. Yelling and screaming at team mates and referees, he needs to be calmer and manage his frustration better
  5. The Flopperoli seems to be notch up from last season, constant waiting to be fouled, slowing down play with it.

I do agree with poor service but all the above just doesn't help

1/ first touch is similar to last year, but teams have done homework on him now, or they swarm him.

2/Agree, I reckon the only players he feels comfortable with are Cahill an Fitzy.

3/See No2

4/Comes down to frustration, because he misses Mooy, defenders swarm him, he get's fouls constantly and see No2

5/He is getting marked more, often he is getting marked by 2 or more defenders and the refs in this league are soft on fouls, when he goes down it's normal in continental football. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

I just don't understand it. It was as plain as day before the season started that he should not be given the arm band. I don't care that he's been captain before. He's also been average in the past and never settled at a club as well. So to me his past captaincy and form is irrelevant given the season he had last year. His only responsibility should have always been to solely score goals. Nothing more. For this season to be more successful Sorenson should 100% been given the arm band and he should have played every fucking game. But due to shit house management this didn't happen. I piss on their man management and their football schooling. 

I think we've gone over this before.

Fornaroli was the only logical option to appoint as captain. Obviously he hasn't been as amazing as last season but for me it's more about the team being shit rather than Fornaroli struggling due to being burdened by captaincy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moops said:

1/ first touch is similar to last year, but teams have done homework on him now, or they swarm him.

2/Agree, I reckon the only players he feels comfortable with are Cahill an Fitzy.

3/See No2

4/Comes down to frustration, because he misses Mooy, defenders swarm him, he get's fouls constantly and see No2

5/He is getting marked more, often he is getting marked by 2 or more defenders and the refs in this league are soft on fouls, when he goes down it's normal in continental football. 

I get that you are sticking up for him, but it seems reading your comments that it's everybody else his fault and Bruno is not to blame at all for playing poorly - Look at the first half yesterday he lost the first 5 balls due to bad control with only one defender behind him. 

So what he gets marked more, that means you shouldn't keep the ball with you but just play off and be smarter in your runs, that is called football intelligence.

I just expect more from a captain, sorry.

I still love him though!

Edited by Mr MO

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I get that you are sticking up for him, but it seems reading your comments that it's everybody else his fault and Bruno is not blame at all for playing poor - Look at the first half yesterday he lost the first 5 balls due to bad control with only one defender behind him. 

So what he gets marked more, that means you shouldn't keep the ball with you but just play off and be smarter in your runs, that is called football intelligence.

I just expect more from a captain, sorry.

I still love him though!

Haha, sorry mate, in a shitty mood.

It's not everyone else's fault, because he hasn't adjusted his game play (or it's not been coached) to play a bit different, he isn't our main scorer, but he is our man up front if that makes sense. He is still playing like last year, but opposition are aware of it and he doesn't have the service.

When he get's marked more he needs to learn to lay off to players, he is good at holding the ball and at times has the flair to go past numerous defenders, but I think he doesn't trust many of our players and tries to put everything on his shoulders.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Fornaroli was the only logical option to appoint as captain. Obviously he hasn't been as amazing as last season but for me it's more about the team being shit rather than Fornaroli struggling due to being burdened by captaincy. 

Sorry Jovan I disagree completely. To me the logical option if we were trying to do what's best for our chances this season was to play the best keeper in the league in Sorenson every game and thereby nominate him as captain due to his obvious leadership characteristics. With Bruno there's no doubt he has tried to take on a lot more responsibility in how he plays and obviously how he leads which has led to more arguements with referees and overall not an ideal on field culture at times. To me it's as clear as day. 

Edit: I just want to add this to what I said. The season before when we played Port Melbourne in a friendly (when Marino got injured) I was speaking to a City official and asked him who the leaders we in the squad he said Sorenson, Koren and Paddy K were natural leaders and together they ran the show amongst all the players. Obviously Bruno was getting used to the language etc. but based on this alone, with Koren and Paddy out of the team, the next 'natural' chain of leadership amongst the playing group was Sorenson. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

If we had an open and fast game style like last season, which suits Bruno, then no-one would be questioning his captaincy.

IMO anyone who was captain in this gameplan and managerial incompetence would have struggled and Bruno's game would still have been in the same situation. 

I don't think having a different captain would have changed anything. 

The team's and Bruno's performance would have been the same regardless.

19 hours ago, Jovan said:

Again this comes down to recruitment and retention of players.
A captain is a key part of your team. You need to either recruit someone with those capabilities or train someone up for that role.

I suspect giving him the captaincy was part of the deal to retain him.
Better options with what we have would have been Cahill or Franjic.

IMG_20170418_222026.png.336dd97ea15127b86436376b8b98b072.png

Fornaroli: It’s a final, it will be different

City Captain Bruno Fornaroli says the do-or-die nature of Sunday’s Elimination Final will see a much tighter affair between his side and Perth as he prepares for the winner takes all contest.

The nine-goal thriller between the sides days earlier equalled the record for goals in an A-League match and the Uruguayan believed what was on the line for both sides in the match caused this “crazy” result.

City and Perth will do it all again in Sunday’s Final to determine if they play Sydney FC or Melbourne Victory in the Semi Final and the forward believes there will be a lot more caution to the wind in this week’s encounter.

“I think the final will be different,” Fornaroli said.

“That was a crazy game because both teams needed to win, Perth needed to score a lot of goals and we needed to win for Asia [Champions League] as well but I think that was a one off. It’ll be a different game on Sunday.

“We tried to win but we need to stay more calm when we have the ball and try to create chances but also try to defend good and this is the first [priority].

“We have confidence about this game and everything is about us. If we put everything together and have confidence on the pitch, we can win.”

One of the big differences Fornaroli believes is in City’s favour is the home ground advantage and the striker’s impressive record at AAMI Park will bring confidence to not only the number 23 but his teammates as well.

“We have confidence in this game and we are playing here at home and it’s always better for us because the fans can come here and support us,” he said.

“We always learn from games; it doesn’t matter if you win or lose. In this sport, you need to learn, it doesn’t matter if you win or lose. Now we have a long week to fix everything, work hard and go for the final.

“We are here to try to win and this is what we want, this is what the club wants and the fans want and we are trying to do everything to win the playoff.

“I feel we can [win] and I have confidence in my teammates. We take it game by game, this is the first final and we only need to think about Perth. Now is the moment to keep going and try to win.”

City and Fornaroli face Perth in the second Elimination Final on Sunday night, kick-off 7pm AEST. Click hereto secure your place at the match today!

Melbourne City captain Bruno Fornaroli stayed home for two days after his team was knocked out of the A-League finals 2-0 by Perth Glory on Sunday.

The Uruguayan spoke to FourFourTwo on the eve of the launch of JD Sports store in Melbourne Central, the first day he left his home after losing the final.

The skipper avoided talking to the media post-match and looked deflated.

Although it prompted criticism from some journalists, Fornaroli explained he wanted to have a clearer mindset before addressing and analysing the final and the season.

“I really didn’t want to talk to anyone, I said at that moment I only wanted to see my little girl and my wife and to stay with my family,”Fornaroli told FourFourTwo.

“I needed the support at that moment, I tell you I don’t like to lose and I think it’s not a great moment after when we lost like that.

“With the media maybe some players will be asked how they feel and I felt I needed to go home, relax a little bit and after I can talk more clearly, I think this is the best.”

There were mixed reactions from players after the game, with Luke Brattan labelling the season as a failure and Tim Cahill saying they needed to hold their heads up high after winning the first trophy for the men’s team – the FFA Cup.

Fornaroli didn’t think it was a failure, but said it wasn’t a time to hold heads high as they underachieved massively.

“I don’t like to lose and I desire this league,” he said. “Of course it’s not a bad season because we won the first cup for the club, we got into the finals but it’s not enough for me.

“I always want to win and I really felt sad at the end. I think the whole season, it wasn’t very consistent for us because we win, we lose and we can never get on that same level and we played maybe two, three or four games at the same level.

“This is not good for one team, we lost a lot of points and I think we didn’t find the real way to play in the finals.”

Fornaroli was the successor former captain, now retired Patrick Kisnorbo and said he was open to keeping the captaincy next season.

“I tried not to change my personality when I was given the captaincy, I tried to do everything the same, train and play the same,” Fornaroli said.

“You have more responsibility at a big team so you have to improve but I have to take this responsibility.

“I don’t know if I’ll be the captain next season, it’s too early to say but I’m happy to continue, I feel alright, I feel strong.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/fornaroli-i-didnt-leave-the-house-for-two-days-459707

• Like 3

• jw1739 locked this topic