Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

13 minutes ago, Dylan said:

bad season still second in the golden boot, behind a tap in/penalty merchant. Legend

Funny you say that. I have a Victory Supporter work colleague who says most of Fornaroli's goals are from penalties this season. I quickly reminded him out of 18 goals Besart scored last season 9 were penalties.

9 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Funny you say that. I have a Victory Supporter work colleague who says most of Fornaroli's goals are from penalties this season. I quickly reminded him out of 18 goals Besart scored last season 9 were penalties.

He's right though, Bruno has taken a lot more penalties this season and he'd have 2 more of he'd scored both against Perth

13 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He's right though, Bruno has taken a lot more penalties this season and he'd have 2 more of he'd scored both against Perth

FWIW last season Bruno scored 25 goals in the league (inc finals) for one penalty and this year he has scored 13 goals for 6 penalties.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dylan said:

No penalties last season ;)

Really? I could have sworn he took one late in the season?

And no I'm def not thinking of the one v Wellington in the FFA Cup :rolleyes:

EDIT. He took one v Wellington in Round 21 which was saved, however he knocked in the rebound. I guess technically not a pen, but semantics for the purposes of the argument.

Edited by bt50

I see some criticism of Bruno on his play this season. IMO it was always probable that he would not score so prolifically this year, but nevertheless he still has 18 goals (9 penalties) in all competitions this season. Also if you look closely at last season his first touch has never been consistently great, and as for pace he will be 30 in September this year and we have to expect some drop off in pace at his age. If we also take into account the other factors that have already been discussed (captaincy, Cahill) IMO he's still a top player for us. Next season we're going to have to work out how to use him to more advantage than we have done in 2016/17.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I see some criticism of Bruno on his play this season. IMO it was always probable that he would not score so prolifically this year, but nevertheless he still has 18 goals (9 penalties) in all competitions this season. Also if you look closely at last season his first touch has never been consistently great, and as for pace he will be 30 in September this year and we have to expect some drop off in pace at his age. If we also take into account the other factors that have already been discussed (captaincy, Cahill) IMO he's still a top player for us. Next season we're going to have to work out how to use him to more advantage that we have done in 2016/17.

He is missing a lot of service and its pretty common for foreigners to have a second season slump so if the Niko Martine reports are true and we get a half decent manager along with apparently Galekovic, next season is starting to look very good already. 

Just now, GreenSeater said:

People can say he's having a bad season as much as they want, but the reality is that so far this season he has 15 goals. Only one player has ever scored that many goals for Heart/City in a season before, and that's Bruno himself last year.

Haha that's so true!

Deadset gun. 

Out of interest, if we had signed him and he performed last season the way he had this season (so we hadn't seen him last season) would you rate him?

40 goals from 50 games is phenomenal. And not using that term lightly. Alot of factors have changed from last season but to be on 15 from 22 (i think) is pretty much still unprecedented. So anyone that suggests he is having a bad or poor season needs to give their head a bit of shake. 

The problem for Bruno this season is that last season he was so amazing and this season he isn't exactly the same. 

For me if a striker can score a goal every 2 or 3 games he is doing his job. If a striker can score a goal every second game then he is a valuable player and if a striker can score a goal every 1 and half games or better he is truly elite. 

Bruno is the best player this club has had (including Mooy) and pushing best in ALEAGUE history. 

• Like 2

Add in the Cup and it's 46 goals from 58 senior appearances. But Bruno is not only a gun striker, he's a true workhorse, never stops running and gives everything for the shirt and for the fans.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Add in the Cup and it's 46 goals from 58 senior appearances. But Bruno is not only a gun striker, he's a true workhorse, never stops running and gives everything for the shirt and for the fans.

So true. The bloke is a legend. Most strikers of his (or even close) quality are lazy bastards but not Bruno.

• Like 1

For a number of reasons Tuna has not been as effective this season, one of them being his own form.

...but my response was actually about the Caceres comment. I have no idea what you have seen in Caceres that makes you think he links up better with Tuna.

2 hours ago, rass said:

For a number of reasons Tuna has not been as effective this season, one of them being his own form.

...but my response was actually about the Caceres comment. I have no idea what you have seen in Caceres that makes you think he links up better with Tuna.

Maybe Baka means that anybody  can link up better with Bruno than Cahill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Much as I am a fan of Bruno, I think it's time we started to mix it up with penalties. I know as captain he's standing up and taking the responsibility, but I think there are occasions where he's becoming predictable. In hindsight I'd like to have seen Colazo take more - genuine left-footer. Certainly next season IMO we should have more options available.

• Like 1

• jw1739 locked this topic