Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

5 minutes ago, Embee said:

He's having a 'down' season and he's still second in the goal-scoring with 11 goals in 16 games. Superstar.

Really rated his game on Thursday, was desperate to get on the scoresheet, but still had the composure to lay a few off when there was people in better positions in the second half. Ultimately didnt get the choccies, but if he keeps working like that it will come. I suspect he's going to have a monster in the next few weeks and bag a hatty.

16 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

think he's had 5 pens though, cahill has scored more from open play

True, but they all count at the end of the day. He's definitely not at the level he was at last season, but 11 in 16 is still impressive and he'll still end up with the best return any Heart/City striker not called Bruno has registered.

Cahill's been carrying us the last month or so, hasn't been doing a lot in general play but is scoring plenty of crucial goals.

The great thing about him, as far as I'm concerned is that he doesn't have bad games. He has quiet ones, but that's not exactly the same thing, especially for a striker. He will give us everything he has every game and he constantly strikes fear into the opposition, even if he has barely had a touch all game. And when you're that good and you command that much attention from the opposition defenders, it makes things easier for everyone else (i.e. Cahill can make those savvy runs and get on the end of a dangerous ball, because everyone's too focused on Fornaroli).

• Like 4

Bruno is only going to score in proportion to the effectiveness of our number 10 or the player that fulfils that role. It was always going to be a tough ask to replace Mooy in terms of effectiveness but much as we complain about the problems with our defence, they've conceded as many goals as the visit0rs but we've scored 10 goals less. If we were going to recruit in January it would only make sense if we found a Mooy level number 10 and we won't, certainly not at an affordable price under the cap

• Like 1

The Mooy discussion is an interesting one. Last season the game plan was totally different than this season and Mooy probably would have been playing a different role. Attacking out wide like we do really doesn't bring a traditional No 10 into play and the lack of space might have been a challenge for even Mooy. Not saying he wouldn't have made an impact but most of his great plays last season was through a much more direct game plan.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

The Mooy discussion is an interesting one. Last season the game plan was totally different than this season and Mooy probably would have been playing a different role. Attacking out wide like we do really doesn't bring a traditional No 10 into play and the lack of space might have been a challenge for even Mooy. Not saying he wouldn't have made an impact but most of his great plays last season was through a much more direct game plan.

Yes but attacking out wide rarely delivers good balls for Cahill nor draws players out to create space for Bruno and the ball into the box rarely gets past the first defender

IMO many overestimated the squad this season. And I'm one of them. Reality is that our defence is no better than last season, and that's poor recruitment. Kilkenny is a great player as DM, but we have no AM as already stated by others. Malik I find as an enigma - outstanding one week and makes simple mistakes the next. And we're just overloaded with forwards - imagine if Gameiro and Kuzi were both available... So overall I rate the squad as unbalanced. Superimpose on that the slavish adherence to what is a flawed match strategy, and I think what we're getting is what we really ought to have expected.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO many overestimated the squad this season. And I'm one of them. Reality is that our defence is no better than last season, and that's poor recruitment. Kilkenny is a great player as DM, but we have no AM as already stated by others. Malik I find as an enigma - outstanding one week and makes simple mistakes the next. And we're just overloaded with forwards - imagine if Gameiro and Kuzi were both available... So overall I rate the squad as unbalanced. Superimpose on that the slavish adherence to what is a flawed match strategy, and I think what we're getting is what we really ought to have expected.

Absolutely agree that the squad is unbalanced and was saying so, as others were, as we recruited in the run up to the season.  That's one of our key, fundamental problems.  And from that stems most of our problems about shape and tactics.  That and we appear to be completely wasting a visa slot...

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Lol. Our game plan last season was give the ball to Mooy, if he was still here the plan would probably still be the same.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, malloy said:

Lol. Our game plan last season was give the ball to Mooy, if he was still here the plan would probably still be the same.

Agree, hence my point that both Mooy and Bruno benefited from a more direct play where as our current style is all about bombing from the wings which plays for Cahill's advantage. There is no way that our current plan is pro-Bruno, but he still manages to score and draws players away to create space for others. 

Caceres seems to do well when we go more central and his creativity is quite impressive but our long ball out wide tactics don't really support a classic No. 10.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think that our defence is better than last season, just compare goals conceded over the 2 seasons. The problem is that whilst our defence has improved, it hasn't improved enough to regularly grind out 1-0 wins and at the same time our attack is considerably worse, we are rarely scoring more than 2 goals a game, even against weaker teams.

I wouldn't blame him if he walked out and took an extended leave of absence. What is this club trying to do to him? I haven't felt this sorry for him since that post-game interview early in his career.

I remember thinking late last season about what a catastrophic waste of Mooy and Fornaroli it was. It's starting to look like that was as good as it's going to get. We were flaky, we were inconsistent, but at least we entertained. Now, we're just nothing. Scratching and struggling to one goal wins against 10 men (our best results since the cup win).

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, haz said:

To his credit, the Brisbane game I believe is the first game he's missed since arriving at the club.

And that Gatt goose implied that picking up a card in the 94th minute was a sign of lack of discipline. He conveniently forgot to mention he played the last 8 games on 4 yellows. And for those last 8 games has been continually hacked.

Super effort 50 plus consecutive games and 40 something goals. Absolute legend. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, haz said:

To his credit, the Brisbane game I believe is the first game he's missed since arriving at the club.

Up to now missed something like 3 minutes when subbed at the end of a match. 42 matches and 37 goals. Absolute legend is an understatement.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Up to now missed something like 3 minutes when subbed at the end of a match. 42 matches and 37 goals. Absolute legend is an understatement.

Cheers.

Accuracy isn't my strong points. That's an even better ratio. Amazing really considering this seasons disfunctional front third service. 

19 minutes ago, Jovan said:

And that Gatt goose implied that picking up a card in the 94th minute was a sign of lack of discipline. He conveniently forgot to mention he played the last 8 games on 4 yellows. And for those last 8 games has been continually hacked.

Super effort 50 plus consecutive games and 40 something goals. Absolute legend. 

I could swear that article was written by a tard. Actually surprised it was written by Gatt. As I said on 442 he's clearly lurking in those forums to discover what bullshit clickbait article he can write next.

1 hour ago, Hellenic Hero said:

? He was great.

Can't complain about his goal and link up play, but he seems to be missing a spark, I think it's Mooy tbh he is missing, so disappointing we had JVS at the helm last season, we should have won the thing.

• Like 1

Seeing this man continuously getting the ball on the wing or deep is becoming so frustrating. You might as well give the golden boot to Berisha. Bruno isn't a winger, and he's not a playmaker. He's a player that needs to receive the ball on the edge of the box with no more then 2 players to beat, that's how he scored 90% of his goals last season.  He's not going to be scoring much more this season without a genuine #10 (I think Colazo would be most suited) and having to be pushed to the wing to make room for our 37 year old forehead.

10 minutes ago, haz said:

Seeing this man continuously getting the ball on the wing or deep is becoming so frustrating. You might as well give the golden boot to Berisha. Bruno isn't a winger, and he's not a playmaker. He's a player that needs to receive the ball on the edge of the box with no more then 2 players to beat, that's how he scored 90% of his goals last season.  He's not going to be scoring much more this season without a genuine #10 (I think Colazo would be most suited) and having to be pushed to the wing to make room for our 37 year old forehead.

Yep. And you can see him getting very frustrated by it all too.

Bruno Fornaroli should not be Melbourne City captain, says Steve Horvat
By Loukas Founten Updated Mon Feb 27 15:33:45 EST 2017
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-27/melbourne-city-bruno-fornaroli-captain-steve-horvat/8307574?pfmredir=sm

Former Socceroo Steve Horvat has slammed Melbourne City's decision to appoint Bruno Fornaroli as captain this season, saying he is "definitely not" the best leader for the A-League club.

Horvat said Melbourne City has a discipline and cultural problem that needs to be eradicated if the club is going to attract supporters and achieve success.

"I think that was the worst decision they could have made in the off-season, making him the captain," Horvat told Grandstand.

"He's too hot blooded, too temperamental and that's not the type of leader you need in a club like this — you need a calming influence ... and I think that's been a real problem for this club this season."

City currently sits fourth on the A-League ladder with eight wins in its 21 matches.

But the club has managed just one win in its last five outings, culminating in a 3-1 loss to runaway leaders Sydney FC on Friday.

Speaking after the match, Horvat was blunt in his assessment of the Melbourne club's performance.

"The attitude and the mentality of the City players — it's not how you get bigger crowds in the stands, it's not how you get the crowd on your side.

"You give everything to the last minute of the game and try and get something out of it, if anything it's at least pride in your performance and that was really lacking."

Horvat, capped 32 times for Australia, also referred to a lack of discipline which had "haunted" the club in the second half of the season.

"We talked about it a few weeks ago when they had a number of players missing due to multiple yellow cards, they had Timmy Cahill with a red card the other week, you had [Manny Muscat] getting a red card [against Sydney]," he said.

"There's a lot of angst amongst the players in between themselves, a lot of arguing with the referee — these are all things that are a cultural problem and they need to eradicate that as quick as possible."

Coach John van 't Schip departed the club for family reasons in January with assistant coach Michael Valkanis taking over for the remainder of the season.

The club has taken 10 of a possible 24 points since then, but Horvat isn't blaming Valkanis for the current predicament.

"It's the people they've brought into the club, the players, the type of mentality they have in there," he said.

"[Sydney FC coach Graham] Arnold really hand-picked the players and the leaders he wanted to have.

"You've got guys like [Alex] Brosque, [Alex] Wilkinson that have come in, guys like [Danny] Vukovic — these are all leaders, experienced players with the right temperament and that's what makes you a great team."

• Like 2

• jw1739 locked this topic