Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

What's the venue?

Apparently their home ground only holds 1,000 so my guess would be Magic Park

edit: Magic Park also holds 1,000 so nvm, probably just wherever their home ground is

Edited by Nate

play the kids 

it is just a pre season hit out afterall

Hoff will probably have returned home and be playing up forward for Edgeworth... in which case we better watch out because he only scores at badly lit Suburban Football Grounds on weekdays.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 4

What's the venue?

edit: Magic Park also holds 1,000 so nvm, probably just wherever their home ground is

Edgeworth's stadium isn't fit to host an A-League club because it doesn't have the appropriate lighting. I don't know if Magic Park does, so not sure if that is an alternative.

Seriously WTF is this Edgeworth team, everyone knows Broadmeadow Magic is the only half decent team in Newcastle (including the Jets).

Their greatest product is Jacob Pepper ffs, this will be a slaughter.

Edited by Tesla

play the kids 

it is just a pre season hit out afterall

Hoff will probably have returned home and be playing up forward for Edgeworth... in which case we better watch out because he only scores at badly lit Suburban Football Grounds on weekdays.

Seriously should put Hoffman up front for this, will score at least a hat trick. Unless the pressure of playing in front of his home town crowd gets to him :droy:

If we are hosting I'm sure that the franchise will continue the tradition of playing at an inaccessible ground somewhere far out of Melbourne

The NNSW teams looked decent last year. Worth remembering they are In Season and we aren't. At this time of year games between the qualifiers and A League clubs will be a lot more competitive than later.

of course we should win but go up there assuming we will slaughter them and that will be the end of our cup campaign.

• Like 1

The NNSW teams looked decent last year. Worth remembering they are In Season and we aren't. At this time of year games between the qualifiers and A League clubs will be a lot more competitive than later.

of course we should win but go up there assuming we will slaughter them and that will be the end of our cup campaign.

I agree the NNSW is a competitive league and I have seen some of the grounds and they are actually have a fair bit of infrastructure compared to what I thought they would but I am still very confident we will win this one.

It be great for us to at least make the Semi's for Team Morale.

Edgeworth's stadium isn't fit to host an A-League club because it doesn't have the appropriate lighting. I don't know if Magic Park does, so not sure if that is an alternative.

Seriously WTF is this Edgeworth team, everyone knows Broadmeadow Magic is the only half decent team in Newcastle (including the Jets).

Their greatest product is Jacob Pepper ffs, this will be a slaughter.

First game of last season's FFA Cup was played at Magic Park so in that case, my guess is it'll be there

I agree the NNSW is a competitive league and I have seen some of the grounds and they are actually have a fair bit of infrastructure compared to what I thought they would but I am still very confident we will win this one.

It be great for us to at least make the Semi's for Team and Supporter Morale.

FFA Cup draw gives Edgeworth shot at A-League guns

By ROBERT DILLON

July 1, 2015, 11 p.m.

EDGEWORTH coach Damian Zane says his players have no intention of merely making up the numbers after drawing A-League club Melbourne City in the next round of the Football Federation Australia Cup.

‘‘We’re very excited and we’re not going out to lose. We dare to dream". Picture: Max Mason-Hubers

‘‘We’re very excited and we’re not going out to lose. We dare to dream". Picture: Max Mason-Hubers

EDGEWORTH coach Damian Zane says his players have no intention of merely making up the numbers after drawing A-League club Melbourne City in the next round of the Football Federation Australia Cup.

Edgeworth will host City, Broadmeadow Magic are at home to Victorian Premier League side Heidelberg United and the Newcastle Jets have drawn a home game against last season's FFA Cup runners-up, Perth Glory, in the round of 32.

Zane admitted it would be a daunting task against City, who finished fifth in the A-League last season, but his players would relish their giant-killing assignment.

‘‘To get a big A-League club at home, it’s probably the best outcome you could hope for,’’ Zane told the Newcastle Herald. ‘‘It’s at the beginning of their preparation, but we’ll be match fit, so you never know what to expect. Everyone’s human. 

‘‘We’re very excited and we’re not going out to lose. We dare to dream.’’

Games will be split over three weeks (July 28-August 12) and clubs will learn on Friday the dates of their fixtures.

Second on the Northern NSW National Premier League table after winning seven of their past eight games, the Eagles qualified for the round of 32 with a 3-0 win against Adamstown.

Edgeworth hope to entertain City at their home ground, Jack McLaughlan Oval, but that will depend on whether it is a designated Foxtel televised game.

Lighting at    Jack McLaughlan is insufficient for TV broadcasting standards, which would mean transferring the game to a suitable venue, possibly Magic Park.

Eagles treasurer Warren Mills said the match would be ‘‘massive’’ if it was staged at Edgeworth and would possibly attract a crowd approaching 4000.

‘‘There’s a big population base out there, if you consider areas like Cameron Park, so we’d be hoping for a pretty healthy crowd,’’ he said.

‘‘We had 4500 for the grand final last year. You never know who City will bring, but imagine if they sign a big name from overseas as their marquee and he’s playing his first game.

‘‘It would be brilliant, just brilliant.’’

Mills said that if the game was transferred, then the host club would naturally share in the proceeds.

For the Jets, there was a sense of deja vu about Wednesday’s draw.

They were at home to Perth in the corresponding round of last year’s inaugural tournament and bowed out in a 2-0 defeat at Magic Park.

Jets chief executive Mitchell Murphy said the club would know by Friday what ground it would use, but Magic Park was the likely choice.

‘‘The FFA Cup, although it’s still in its infancy, is a prestigious competition,’’ Murphy said.  ‘‘It’s a competition that we’ll be taking very seriously.

‘‘Any club would like to have the FFA Cup silverware in their offices.’’

Murphy said he expected the Jets would play a couple of trial matches as a lead-up to the clash with Perth.

‘‘I’d hope people aren’t going to judge us on our first ‘proper game’ of the season, but of course we’d like to get off to a positive start with a win,’’ he said.

Broadmeadow, who qualified with a 13-0 rout of first-division side West Wallsend, are fifth on the Northern NSW Premier League  table.

Heidelberg are third on the Victorian Premier League ladder.

• Like 1

I'm assuming their coach either doesn't realise Koren is here to stay, or he is talking about an overseas 'Australian' marquee or knows something we don't about a new marquee coming in for us. 

I think he just has no idea

MELBOURNE CITY PUTS FFA CUP MINNOW ABOVE MANCHESTER CITY

AAP

2 JUL 2015 -

Ask Melbourne City coach John van 't Schip whether he'd prefer to beat Manchester City - which his club plays on 18 July - or the lowly Edgeworth Eagles in the FFA Cup after that, and you'll get a surprising response.

"The game against Man City is great, a great experience, it's a friendly," Van 't Schip said. "The game against Edgeworth is an official game and for us it can mean we can play more and go for a prize.

"Every game counts but this game will count more as we prepare for the season ... for us, (Edgeworth) is more important."

Van 't Schip's view is not at all a slight on his parent club, touring Australia for the International Champions Cup, but a reflection of where the A-League club places its priorities for the season ahead.

Melbourne City will take on Manchester City on the Gold Coast later this month, with its FFA Cup clash to be scheduled in the next four weeks.

Van 't Schip's side was dumped out of the Cup at the same stage last season, losing 3-1 to Sydney FC at the same stage.

Having already added Socceroos defender Ivan Franjic and star striker Corey Gameiro to its squad since season's end - and extending French winger Harry Novillo's stay - Van 't Schip said he would use the time to bring the team together.

"We're going to prepare for it as professionally as possible, we can use it to gel and have a good official game up in Newcastle," he said.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/07/02/melbourne-city-puts-ffa-cup-minnow-above-manchester-city

City Draw Eagles in FFA Cup

Melbourne City FC have drawn Edgeworth Eagles FC in the Westfield FFA Cup's opening Round of 32.

Following Wednesday afternoon's draw which was held at the Fox Sports studios in Sydney, former Socceroo Michael Beauchamp and Bentleigh Greens Head Coach John Anastadiadis conducted the draw.

The draw saw 10 Hyundai A-League clubs and 22 Member Federation Clubs from across Australia discover their first round opponents.

City Head Coach John van't Schip said it would be an important match for his team against the Northern NSW National Premier League side, despite the fact they were a relative unknown for the Melbourne outfit.

“Of course it is a very important game; the opponent to us is quite an unknown so we will have to prepare well and in a professional manner so that we are ready for the match,” van’t Schip said.

“We know in this competition you must be prepared from the first match and prepared for the second; if you pass the first round then you are in quite a good position to continue on and win a prize as there are not a lot of games until the final."

van't Schip said it did not matter which club his team draws throughout the competition.

“We want to go as far as possible in the competition so we will ensure we have a good preparation for this match," van't Schip said.

“For now our main aim in the pre-season is the FFA Cup and it is the most important focus for us.

"We didn't really have any wishes for our first opponent, but to travel in pre-season and to be with the team together, we can use this trip also for bonding.

“We want to win - and we know that if we progress in this first match, we can go further in the competition.”

The 16 matches in the Round of 32 of the Westfield FFA Cup 2015 will be split over three weeks (28 July – 12 Aug), with four games scheduled per match day on either Tuesday and/or Wednesday nights. Fox Sports will broadcast one match live and exclusive in full on each match day in the Round of 32, Round of 16 and Quarter Finals with single camera coverage at all other matches with both Semi Finals and the Westfield FFA Cup Final broadcast live and exclusive in full.

While the Westfield FFA Cup 2015 Round of 32 draw has revealed who meets who in the Round of 32, the specific match details in regards to the dates, venues and kick-off times will be announced on Friday 3 July.

Note: Dates, venues and kick-off times will be announced on Friday 3 July 2015

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-draw-eagles-in-ffa-cup/qu1b4nqp948j14txic8shh7b6

Tuesday 4th August 7:30 at magic park.

Going to head up for this.  

Oh and Victory and Balmain is going to be televised. Our game only has single camera recording for updates and highlights.

Edited by Dylan

So if their home kit is white, we should be wearing our red & white stripes! :wub: Then again for Round 1 against SFC!

Now if only the f-wits who decide what tops our team wears realised that when we play the Derby away it's better we wear our away kit then our next three games will all be in Red & White! :D

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic