Melbourne Football

Manchester City vs Melbourne City - Saturday July 18 at CBUS Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Cityscape

Manchester City v Melbourne City: Fans vent frustration over epic fixture played on Gold Coast

MATT WINDLEY

JUNE 24, 2015 10:51PM

MELBOURNE City will play sister club Manchester City in a glamour friendly on the Gold Coast next month as the English Premier League giant prepares for the International Champions Cup at the MCG.

The decision to play the game outside of Melbourne copped backlash on social media on Wednesday from fans of the A-League club who feel aggrieved at being unable to see the historic encounter in the flesh.

Melbourne City chief executive Scott Munn said he sympathised with those supporters, but said legalities prevented the game from taking place in Victoria.

However Munn did tell the Herald Sun that another game between the two City sides could take place in Melbourne in the near future.

Manchester City will take on Italian club AS Roma (on July 21) and Spanish giant Real Madrid (July 24) in front of huge crowds at the ‘G.

The 2011-12, 2013-14 EPL champions will conduct an 11-day training camp on the Gold Coast that will culminate in matches at cBus Super Stadium against Adelaide United, behind closed doors on July 15, and Melbourne City on Saturday, July 18.

Real Madrid take on Roma at the MCG on the same night in the first match of the ICC tournament.

Under the ICC terms and conditions, the three clubs were unable to play any other friendly matches in Victoria, which Munn said scuppered any plans to have an all-City Football Group clash in Melbourne.

“Absolutely we would have loved to play the game in Melbourne,” Munn said.

“We’ve set some really competitive price points and hopefully that encourages people to come from Melbourne to the Gold Coast to watch the game.

“From our perspective we’d love to do it again another time and the next time, hopefully, it will be under different circumstances and clearly we could play it in Melbourne.

“This is a positive and while I understand totally some of the questions that people might ask, the reality is that it’s just not possible due to contracts.”

Melbourne City will also have a four or five-day camp on the Gold Coast.

The availability of stars Manchester City stars Sergio Aguero, Pablo Zabaleta and Martin Demichelis will depend on Argentina’s progression through the Copa America, but otherwise the heavyweights are expected to field a star-studded side.

“Yaya Toure, Jo Hart, David Silva, Vincent Kompany will all be a part of it,” Munn said.

“So they’ll be putting out a very strong team and we’ll obviously be relishing the opportunity to play against them.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/manchester-city-v-melbourne-city-fans-vent-frustration-over-epic-fixture-played-on-gold-coast/story-fni2wcjl-1227413608645

Munn's not seriously suggesting that $25 tickets or whatever it actually is makes flying to the Gold Coast affordable? Flights, accommodation, getting around... No way I'm spending that for a friendly. What a joke.

Also I understand that they can't play a match in Melb but surely they could put on something else, like a signing or something, and announce that at the same time as this game, if they wanted to annoy people less. Or even announce plans to have a lot of behind the scenes content of the training camps for Melb city fans. We are interested in our team, here's the chance to cross promote man city at the same time as talking about what our boys are up to.

Agreed, I also found this an odd angle for him to take. It wouldn't have mattered if they made tickets $1.17, it would still be more affordable for Melbourne based members/fans if the cheapest ticket to watch the game here was $150...

But if that's what the contract states why would you blame the club? So be it if they have a contract that has to be met. On the other hand, l expect to see Man City at our base so Munn better get something organised!

Tell the truth and the whole truth right from the start and not be selective or deceptive.

That part is true though

But if that's what the contract states why would you blame the club? So be it if they have a contract that has to be met. On the other hand, l expect to see Man City at our base so Munn better get something organised!

Tell the truth and the whole truth right from the start and not be selective or deceptive.

We cant handle the truth

Yep, it's shit that the game's not in Melbourne, but bugger it I'm heading up with my 7 year old son. He's been a Man City nut ever since they bought us. It's a good excuse for a little getaway in some sunshine. Anyone else heading up?

nope 

Ha, seems that way, no wonder we got great seats, we're the only dickheads heading up.

Tbf I wouldn't have minded the sunshine and if I had kids who liked Man City its a pretty good oppertunity to kill two birds with one stone. Out of interest you going to their ICC games down here?

No, think they're sold out yeah? Was too slow off the mark. Seemed like a pretty good alternative to me, and a good excuse for a mini holiday.

Just to get this right, the club may not be aware that their members might be confused as to why their 'Melbourne based team' is being sent to another state to play a game against an EPL club owned by the same owners???

I assume that the club actually looks at its Facebook page from time to time (otherwise what's the point of having it). The comments on there would make Munn & Co. fully aware of what supporters think about it. The club could also read and respond to e-mails sent to them on the subject.

I'd love to have Munn's job because he does F#@K ALL!

Do you work in the office? I'd love to hear about what he does each day if you have the time??

He's pretty busy.

Over the years, as well as being CEO of Melbourne Heart/City he's been the BEPO (Big Event Promotions Officer) for Morwell, Albury, Ballarat and most recently the Gold Coast.

His new hashtag is #anywherebutMelbourneCity

Do you work in the office? I'd love to hear about what he does each day if you have the time??

He's pretty busy.

Over the years, as well as being CEO of Melbourne Heart/City he's been the BEPO (Big Event Promotions Officer) for Morwell, Albury, Ballarat and most recently the Gold Coast.

Didn't we play in those places because we have a quota or regional games to fill? Also Ballarat was fun.

He's pretty busy.

Didn't we play in those places because we have a quota or regional games to fill? Also Ballarat was fun.

don't let the truth get in the way of a good story though

youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

Edited by bt50

Yep, it's shit that the game's not in Melbourne, but bugger it I'm heading up with my 7 year old son. He's been a Man City nut ever since they bought us. It's a good excuse for a little getaway in some sunshine. Anyone else heading up?

nope 

Ha, seems that way, no wonder we got great seats, we're the only dickheads heading up.

I'd seriously consider boycotting, even if I happened to randomly be in town when the game was on. Dickhead Munn talking about competitive pricepoints convincing supporters to fly to the Gold Coast is just salt in the wounds. He's trying to be sympathetic to us and it comes off like he's trolling long-suffering City people, like a Victory supporter. It's David Brent-esque. Is it seriously going to take a Perth Glory situation to finally get rid of this muppet?

For our UK-based friends that are still bothering to keep an eye on what's going on at this shambles of a club, Manchester is closer to Salzburg than Melbourne is to the Gold Coast.

Edited by SF33

Who cares honestly.

Can't believe so many people are getting up in arms about one of these bullshit 'friendlys'.We've all seen the games with victory vs Liverpool, the Hyundai a-league all stars vs Chelsea or whoever the fuck they played. All these games are, are big wank fests that bring out the euro snobs so they can sit there and tell you how much better these overseas teams are which have been around for 100 odd years compared to a team that's been around for not even 10.

I'd be pissed off more personally if we had an FFA game moved or a regular season game moved. These games do nothing for the a-league or football in Australia.

At a guess, anyone that's hoping to attract some new members/supporters in a marketplace where we're competing against the reigning premiers and champions that generally get 3-4 times as many supporters to home games than we do. The only thing that we have as a competitive advantage over Victory is a link with Manchester City. A link that CFG by all outward impressions, DGAF about capitalising on (well, at least not to Melbourne's benefit).

The classic example of this, in retrospect, was that great deal that Manchester City was offering Melbourne members to go along to one of two City home games, with special prices on flights, an offer that got you a jersey etc...etc. I was seriously considering a quick visit, until people on here brought it to my attention that one of the games (the one that I would have considered against Spurs) actually clashed with Melbourne City's home opener.

We're not even an afterthought.

Who cares honestly.

Can't believe so many people are getting up in arms about one of these bullshit 'friendlys'.We've all seen the games with victory vs Liverpool, the Hyundai a-league all stars vs Chelsea or whoever the fuck they played. All these games are, are big wank fests that bring out the euro snobs so they can sit there and tell you how much better these overseas teams are which have been around for 100 odd years compared to a team that's been around for not even 10.

I'd be pissed off more personally if we had an FFA game moved or a regular season game moved. These games do nothing for the a-league or football in Australia.

At a guess, anyone that's hoping to attract some new members/supporters in a marketplace where we're competing against the reigning premiers and champions that generally get 3-4 times as many supporters to home games than we do. The only thing that we have as a competitive advantage over Victory is a link with Manchester City. A link that CFG by all outward impressions, DGAF about capitalising on (well, at least not to Melbourne's benefit).

The classic example of this, in retrospect, was that great deal that Manchester City was offering Melbourne members to go along to one of two City home games, with special prices on flights, an offer that got you a jersey etc...etc. I was seriously considering a quick visit, until people on here brought it to my attention that one of the games (the one that I would have considered against Spurs) actually clashed with Melbourne City's home opener.

We're not even an afterthought.

Well they did try giving us the linked competitive advantage of wearing sky/baby blue...

Club is now saying via social media that the ICC contract forbids Manchester City from playing any other match in Victoria, not just in Melbourne. This only after repeated questioning. It's just a repeat of the Villa debacle - and the Lampard debacle for New York City. This deceptive behaviour in the club PR really shits me, and I cannot see what good it does for anyone.

Well that's easily solved, host it in Albury. Apparently 20k capacity, easy sell out. 

Club is now saying via social media that the ICC contract forbids Manchester City from playing any other match in Victoria, not just in Melbourne. This only after repeated questioning. It's just a repeat of the Villa debacle - and the Lampard debacle for New York City. This deceptive behaviour in the club PR really shits me, and I cannot see what good it does for anyone.

Well that's easily solved, host it in Albury. Apparently 20k capacity, easy sell out. 

And hope it's 40c again lol.

This is interesting ... just got this as an AAMI customer

Manchester City FC Exclusive Training Session  

Date: 22 July, 2015.  

Doors open: 6:00pm.  

Training starts: 7.00pm  

Venue: AAMI Park, Olympic Boulevard, Melbourne  

Your close encounter with Manchester City FC  

Hi xxxx,

We’re absolutely thrilled to present this exclusive AAMI Lucky Club opportunity to get up close and personal with Manchester City FC.  

Join us at AAMI Park, Melbourne for an intimate, once in a lifetime training session with some of the English Premier League’s best as the team prepare for their showdown with Real Madrid. Pre-training activities start at 6.15pm so make sure you get there early and get the best spot for the action.  

65 fans will be randomly selected to get even closer to their heroes with exclusive Lucky Club experiences including meet and greets and penalty shoot outs^. Winners will be notified prior to the event to ensure that you come prepared, boots and all.  

Tickets are on-sale now until July 9th or until allocation exhausted, so get in quickly to avoid missing out.  

To access tickets please use this code: xxxxx

The AAMI Team  

16 years and under - $5     Adult (over 16) - $15  

Ticket prices include GST and Booking Fees. Transaction Fees from $5.10 apply and a credit/debit card processing free from 1.95% may apply.  

This is interesting ... just got this as an AAMI customer

Manchester City FC Exclusive Training Session  

Date: 22 July, 2015.  

Doors open: 6:00pm.  

Training starts: 7.00pm  

Venue: AAMI Park, Olympic Boulevard, Melbourne  

Your close encounter with Manchester City FC  

Hi xxxx,

We’re absolutely thrilled to present this exclusive AAMI Lucky Club opportunity to get up close and personal with Manchester City FC.  

Join us at AAMI Park, Melbourne for an intimate, once in a lifetime training session with some of the English Premier League’s best as the team prepare for their showdown with Real Madrid. Pre-training activities start at 6.15pm so make sure you get there early and get the best spot for the action.  

65 fans will be randomly selected to get even closer to their heroes with exclusive Lucky Club experiences including meet and greets and penalty shoot outs^. Winners will be notified prior to the event to ensure that you come prepared, boots and all.  

Tickets are on-sale now until July 9th or until allocation exhausted, so get in quickly to avoid missing out.  

To access tickets please use this code: xxxxx

The AAMI Team  

16 years and under - $5     Adult (over 16) - $15  

Ticket prices include GST and Booking Fees. Transaction Fees from $5.10 apply and a credit/debit card processing free from 1.95% may apply.  

Lol was just about to post the same.... so yes, I received it too.

Makes you wonder will they use Latrobe at all? or is this one at AAMI just a one off for the General Public to come along.

Sent by me in response to the club's email about the Gold Coast game (24/6/15):

It's Melbourne City, not Gold Coast City you morons. If they're not gonna play us in Melbourne then they can fuck right off.

Their reply today:

Hi [Name],

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write to us. We certainly appreciate your feedback and understand your frustration regarding the announcement of the Manchester City FC v Melbourne City FC friendly match to be played on the Gold Coast later next month.

As you can appreciate, there is a lot of planning and careful consideration around how Manchester City and Melbourne City FC plan their pre-season and friendly matches. While we would like to satisfy all of our fans and members, there are often restrictions in place that determine the location and details of our pre-season matches. However, with the planning of each of these matches, we certainly take the interests of our fans and members into consideration and if circumstances permit, we try our utmost to provide them with access to the match day experience.

With Manchester City FC being brought to Australia by an independent promoter to compete in the International Champions Cup (ICC) competition in July, there are certain circumstances outside of our control regarding where we can play against our sister club. Unfortunately for our Melbourne-based members and fans, due to ICC contractual obligations MCFC is prevented from playing any matches other than versus Real Madrid and Roma in Victoria. 

As Manchester City will be located on the Gold Coast during their Australian tour, it was the only logical place for us to play our sister club. To try and make the match available to our members, we have been able to offer our valued members exclusive pre-sale access to tickets to attend the match on the Gold Coast; negotiated preferential ticketing at considerably low price points as well as offering our Cityzens competition to win flights and accommodation with rewards points. 

We are also working with Manchester City on a number of initiatives - which our members will be involved in - which we hope to announce in the coming days.

Melbourne City FC values your feedback highly and emphasises that we would have preferred the match to be played closer to home which may be a future possibility. Melbourne City FC wishes to thank you for your time in expressing your thoughts to the Club. 

Kind regards,

Hilary
Lead Customer Service Liaison

T.  1300 255 432
F.  03 9459 7410
membership.melbournecityfc.com.au

It's Melbourne City, not Gold Coast City you morons. If they're not gonna play us in Melbourne then they can fuck right off.

Their reply today:

Hi [Name],

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write to us. We certainly appreciate your feedback and understand your frustration regarding the announcement of the Manchester City FC v Melbourne City FC friendly match to be played on the Gold Coast later next month.

As you can appreciate, there is a lot of planning and careful consideration around how Manchester City and Melbourne City FC plan their pre-season and friendly matches. While we would like to satisfy all of our fans and members, there are often restrictions in place that determine the location and details of our pre-season matches. However, with the planning of each of these matches, we certainly take the interests of our fans and members into consideration and if circumstances permit, we try our utmost to provide them with access to the match day experience.

With Manchester City FC being brought to Australia by an independent promoter to compete in the International Champions Cup (ICC) competition in July, there are certain circumstances outside of our control regarding where we can play against our sister club. Unfortunately for our Melbourne-based members and fans, due to ICC contractual obligations MCFC is prevented from playing any matches other than versus Real Madrid and Roma in Victoria. 

As Manchester City will be located on the Gold Coast during their Australian tour, it was the only logical place for us to play our sister club. To try and make the match available to our members, we have been able to offer our valued members exclusive pre-sale access to tickets to attend the match on the Gold Coast; negotiated preferential ticketing at considerably low price points as well as offering our Cityzens competition to win flights and accommodation with rewards points. 

We are also working with Manchester City on a number of initiatives - which our members will be involved in - which we hope to announce in the coming days.

Melbourne City FC values your feedback highly and emphasises that we would have preferred the match to be played closer to home which may be a future possibility. Melbourne City FC wishes to thank you for your time in expressing your thoughts to the Club. 

Kind regards,

Hilary

T.  1300 255 432
F.  03 9459 7410

To be honest I wouldnt have replied to that garbage if I were her. 

• Like 6

Their reply today:

Hi [Name],

Kind regards,

Hilary

T.  1300 255 432
F.  03 9459 7410

Harsh

Why? Would they play a pre-season friendly against us over there in London? I get that we are club 3 out of 4 in the CFG group, but that still shits me. And also fuck Man City, I have no respect for them whatsoever...

The response clearly pointed out why it was not in Melbourne. Out of their hands. I was angry like all when I first saw, but when the reason came out I could see their hands were tied. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

I can only echo what others have said, I understand why they are playing outside Victoria but once again it's tremendously disappointing that the local Melbourne based fans get the short straw when it comes to match programming. It happens season after season

IMO Bela hit the nail with his post quoted above. Irrespective of the ICC contract, Melbourne City administration has not handled this well at all so far; everything they've said has had to be dragged out of them. At least Benzema received a reply to his e-mail; mine was very polite but I've received no response at all.

• Like 2

IMO Bela hit the nail with his post quoted above. Irrespective of the ICC contract, Melbourne City administration has not handled this well at all so far; everything they've said has had to be dragged out of them. At least Benzema received a reply to his e-mail; mine was very polite but I've received no response at all.

given the size and scale of the ICC competition, i get that some of the legal components might be somewhat take it or leave it.  the fact Man City could get both games in Melbourne is at least something.  

what i dont get in all of this is what stopped Man City playing us after the second game / before heading to Vietnam.

surely the ICC contract only covered them before hand.  even if it covers them after, surely some sort of arrangement could have been met so that once the games finish, Man City are right organise something.

to which, three clubs from the MLS get games against English clubs when the ICC goes to the USA.  what was stopping Man City from doing the same here exactly?

and wtf is with being based on the Gold Coast for the bulk of the trip.  pull your finger out and get at least a week in around Melbourne.  do shared media and shit.  make it look like you are here to help.

and as the ownership has a vested interest in this market, someone has truly fucked up by not getting their ducks in a row.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 3