Melbourne Football

Manchester City vs Melbourne City - Saturday July 18 at CBUS Super Stadium, Gold Coast

Cityscape

Who cares honestly.

Can't believe so many people are getting up in arms about one of these bullshit 'friendlys'.We've all seen the games with victory vs Liverpool, the Hyundai a-league all stars vs Chelsea or whoever the fuck they played. All these games are, are big wank fests that bring out the euro snobs so they can sit there and tell you how much better these overseas teams are which have been around for 100 odd years compared to a team that's been around for not even 10.

I'd be pissed off more personally if we had an FFA game moved or a regular season game moved. These games do nothing for the a-league or football in Australia.

Yes - All of those games were boring and stupid but a chance to see your side play a game is still a chance to see your side play a game hence why PPL are annoyed.

• Like 1

It does feel like a lot of things that should be good news stories for Melbourne City end up looking pretty bad.

I can't help but wonder if some workaround was possible. Why not play the game in Geelong, for example? I also agree with the sentiment that contracts usually aren't the "be all end all" these days, and I wonder if Melbourne City could have played Man City in Melbourne if a fee or compensation was paid to the ICC or something.

This whole exhibition seems like a really mixed message to me. I'm not sure what to make of it, and a cynic could say it really suits Man City--us playing a warm up game for them on the Gold Coast, and Man City being the only City team that'll play football in Melbourne at least until the FFA Cup (good marketing in Melbourne solely for Man City)--while it doesn't provide big benefits for Melbourne City (whereas a Man City vs Melbourne City match in Melbourne would undoubtedly be a massive positive for Melbourne City).

Announcing this match on the day that Melbourne City's memberships go on sale, with the club unveiling the slogan "This is our (Melbourne) City", just looks bad as well.

Hopefully the club announces some unambiguous positives for Melbourne City soon, to get the campaign for next season rolling. Things like player announcements, which the team will also need if its going to put up a respectable fight against Man City next month..

Edited by Murfy1

Who cares honestly.

Can't believe so many people are getting up in arms about one of these bullshit 'friendlys'.We've all seen the games with victory vs Liverpool, the Hyundai a-league all stars vs Chelsea or whoever the fuck they played. All these games are, are big wank fests that bring out the euro snobs so they can sit there and tell you how much better these overseas teams are which have been around for 100 odd years compared to a team that's been around for not even 10.

I'd be pissed off more personally if we had an FFA game moved or a regular season game moved. These games do nothing for the a-league or football in Australia.

Yes - All of those games were boring and stupid but a chance to see your side play a game is still a chance to see your side play a game hence why PPL are annoyed.

See what your saying, but still wouldn't classify this as a 'game'. At least when we're playing our warm up games down in Melbourne there's some degree of competitiveness. I reckon theirs more competitiveness in the retirement village i work at lawn bowls games compared to these events.

• Like 1

Manchester City v Melbourne City: Fans vent frustration over epic fixture played on Gold Coast

MATT WINDLEY

JUNE 24, 2015 10:51PM

MELBOURNE City will play sister club Manchester City in a glamour friendly on the Gold Coast next month as the English Premier League giant prepares for the International Champions Cup at the MCG.

The decision to play the game outside of Melbourne copped backlash on social media on Wednesday from fans of the A-League club who feel aggrieved at being unable to see the historic encounter in the flesh.

Melbourne City chief executive Scott Munn said he sympathised with those supporters, but said legalities prevented the game from taking place in Victoria.

However Munn did tell the Herald Sun that another game between the two City sides could take place in Melbourne in the near future.

Manchester City will take on Italian club AS Roma (on July 21) and Spanish giant Real Madrid (July 24) in front of huge crowds at the ‘G.

The 2011-12, 2013-14 EPL champions will conduct an 11-day training camp on the Gold Coast that will culminate in matches at cBus Super Stadium against Adelaide United, behind closed doors on July 15, and Melbourne City on Saturday, July 18.

Real Madrid take on Roma at the MCG on the same night in the first match of the ICC tournament.

Under the ICC terms and conditions, the three clubs were unable to play any other friendly matches in Victoria, which Munn said scuppered any plans to have an all-City Football Group clash in Melbourne.

“Absolutely we would have loved to play the game in Melbourne,” Munn said.

“We’ve set some really competitive price points and hopefully that encourages people to come from Melbourne to the Gold Coast to watch the game.

“From our perspective we’d love to do it again another time and the next time, hopefully, it will be under different circumstances and clearly we could play it in Melbourne.

“This is a positive and while I understand totally some of the questions that people might ask, the reality is that it’s just not possible due to contracts.”

Melbourne City will also have a four or five-day camp on the Gold Coast.

The availability of stars Manchester City stars Sergio Aguero, Pablo Zabaleta and Martin Demichelis will depend on Argentina’s progression through the Copa America, but otherwise the heavyweights are expected to field a star-studded side.

“Yaya Toure, Jo Hart, David Silva, Vincent Kompany will all be a part of it,” Munn said.

“So they’ll be putting out a very strong team and we’ll obviously be relishing the opportunity to play against them.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/manchester-city-v-melbourne-city-fans-vent-frustration-over-epic-fixture-played-on-gold-coast/story-fni2wcjl-1227413608645

Edited by Murfy1

What's done is done I suppose. I no longer care about this match or Manchester City's visit to Australia.

But the thing that stands out for me is how could the visit of another CFG club to Melbourne - in this case the parent club Manchester City - possibly turn out to be a negative for the supporters of Melbourne City when it should be an overwhelming positive?

Whoever has been involved in this - including the people out there at CFA Latrobe - needs to take a good look at the way they are operating, because we are just seeing a series of PR and communication disasters one after the other.

• Like 2

What's done is done I suppose. I no longer care about this match or Manchester City's visit to Australia.

But the thing that stands out for me is how could the visit of another CFG club to Melbourne - in this case the parent club Manchester City - possibly turn out to be a negative for the supporters of Melbourne City when it should be an overwhelming positive?

Whoever has been involved in this - including the people out there at CFA Latrobe - needs to take a good look at the way they are operating, because we are just seeing a series of PR and communication disasters one after the other.

That´s true actually.. I bet Simon Pearce is spitting feathers him being an old P.R pro..<_<

It is a shame that we wont see this event in Melbourne, however, I'm not overly fussed as these games are generally meaningless.  People still have a chance to watch Manchester in Melbourne at the MCG.  Other than the obvious pre-season benefits that will be garnered from the scratch match on the Gold Coast, what I really hope we get out of the exercise is for the opportunity for our players to train and learn with their players, and more importantly, for our coaching staff to engage and learn from Manchester's coaching staff.

Hopefully, Manchester will spend some time at CFG's Melbourne headquarters at Latrobe, and that City members have an opportunity for some access to see Manchester's players up close.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 3

This game actually makes me feel a little better. I was a bit worried about heading into the FFA Cup with only a match against Adelaide under our belt. I am very keen for the FFA Cup draw in about a week!

Me to, did you notice Frankston Pines are in! They nearly folded a few years ago, it's a great story and it would be awesome if they made some headway like Springvale last year.

This game actually makes me feel a little better. I was a bit worried about heading into the FFA Cup with only a match against Adelaide under our belt. I am very keen for the FFA Cup draw in about a week!

Me to, did you notice Frankston Pines are in! They nearly folded a few years ago, it's a great story and it would be awesome if they made some headway like Springvale last year.

Ehh, I'm so sorry to tell you this but they were annihilated by South Melbourne 6-1 last week and didn't qualify for the RO32.

Victorian clubs have all been decided and they are (in a particular order):

1. Melbourne City
2. Oakleigh Cannons
3. Heidelberg
4. Hume
5. South Melbourne
6. Melbourne Victory

Ehh, I'm so sorry to tell you this but they were annihilated by South Melbourne 6-1 last week and didn't qualify for the RO32.

Victorian clubs have all been decided and they are (in a particular order):

1. Melbourne City
2. Oakleigh Cannons
3. Heidelberg
4. Hume
5. South Melbourne
6. Melbourne Victory

Ah, I thought they got through :(

My mistake, I must have missed their last game as I don't really follow them. Ah well, I don't care about any of those teams to be honest, I just hope they knock a few NSW teams out, hahaha. 

renewing over the phone is the much easier method. They bring up all the details in the system and it's too easy. Was such a pain trying to find all my mates details to renew his membership aswell. The girl said the system to change passwords is down and it's why it hasn't worked for me and a lot of other people but she said it would be up within a couple of hours. She was also able to tell us which seats we had in active and everything which was a nightmare trying to work out online when it says every seat in across the three bays is taken. 

Fantastic that we are playing Manchester City in a friendly. 

What a great time to be a Melbourne City player rubbing shoulders with the best players in the EPL. 

Well good for you, i have just paid for our two season tickets to the tune of $500.00 and now we are being asked to fly/travel to Brisbane to watch a FRIENDLY for what would quite conceivably cost me $250.00 and i might add i am on a pension . It has to be a massive joke, i certainly will NOT be traveling to Brisbane for this little junket.

run out of likes, so here is my like.

Manchester City v Melbourne City: Fans vent frustration over epic fixture played on Gold Coast

MATT WINDLEY

MELBOURNE City will play sister club Manchester City in a glamour friendly on the Gold Coast next month as the English Premier League giant prepares for the International Champions Cup at the MCG.

The decision to play the game outside of Melbourne copped backlash on social media on Wednesday from fans of the A-League club who feel aggrieved at being unable to see the historic encounter in the flesh.

Melbourne City chief executive Scott Munn said he sympathised with those supporters, but said legalities prevented the game from taking place in Victoria.

However Munn did tell the Herald Sun that another game between the two City sides could take place in Melbourne in the near future.

Manchester City will take on Italian club AS Roma (on July 21) and Spanish giant Real Madrid (July 24) in front of huge crowds at the ‘G.

The 2011-12, 2013-14 EPL champions will conduct an 11-day training camp on the Gold Coast that will culminate in matches at cBus Super Stadium against Adelaide United, behind closed doors on July 15, and Melbourne City on Saturday, July 18.

Real Madrid take on Roma at the MCG on the same night in the first match of the ICC tournament.

Under the ICC terms and conditions, the three clubs were unable to play any other friendly matches in Victoria, which Munn said scuppered any plans to have an all-City Football Group clash in Melbourne.

“We’ve set some really competitive price points and hopefully that encourages people to come from Melbourne to the Gold Coast to watch the game.

“From our perspective we’d love to do it again another time and the next time, hopefully, it will be under different circumstances and clearly we could play it in Melbourne.

“This is a positive and while I understand totally some of the questions that people might ask, the reality is that it’s just not possible due to contracts.”

The availability of stars Manchester City stars Sergio Aguero, Pablo Zabaleta and Martin Demichelis will depend on Argentina’s progression through the Copa America, but otherwise the heavyweights are expected to field a star-studded side.

“Yaya Toure, Jo Hart, David Silva, Vincent Kompany will all be a part of it,” Munn said.

“So they’ll be putting out a very strong team and we’ll obviously be relishing the opportunity to play against them.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/manchester-city-v-melbourne-city-fans-vent-frustration-over-epic-fixture-played-on-gold-coast/story-fni2wcjl-1227413608645

Munn's not seriously suggesting that $25 tickets or whatever it actually is makes flying to the Gold Coast affordable? Flights, accommodation, getting around... No way I'm spending that for a friendly. What a joke.

Also I understand that they can't play a match in Melb but surely they could put on something else, like a signing or something, and announce that at the same time as this game, if they wanted to annoy people less. Or even announce plans to have a lot of behind the scenes content of the training camps for Melb city fans. We are interested in our team, here's the chance to cross promote man city at the same time as talking about what our boys are up to.

MATT WINDLEY

Munn's not seriously suggesting that $25 tickets or whatever it actually is makes flying to the Gold Coast affordable? Flights, accommodation, getting around... No way I'm spending that for a friendly. What a joke.

Also I understand that they can't play a match in Melb but surely they could put on something else, like a signing or something, and announce that at the same time as this game, if they wanted to annoy people less. Or even announce plans to have a lot of behind the scenes content of the training camps for Melb city fans. We are interested in our team, here's the chance to cross promote man city at the same time as talking about what our boys are up to.

There's no point getting all worked up. For all we know they may have something planned for members. 

Club is now saying via social media that the ICC contract forbids Manchester City from playing any other match in Victoria, not just in Melbourne. This only after repeated questioning. It's just a repeat of the Villa debacle - and the Lampard debacle for New York City. This deceptive behaviour in the club PR really shits me, and I cannot see what good it does for anyone.

But if that's what the contract states why would you blame the club? So be it if they have a contract that has to be met. On the other hand, l expect to see Man City at our base so Munn better get something organised!

Tell the truth and the whole truth right from the start and not be selective or deceptive.

• Like 4

But if that's what the contract states why would you blame the club? So be it if they have a contract that has to be met. On the other hand, l expect to see Man City at our base so Munn better get something organised!

Tell the truth and the whole truth right from the start and not be selective or deceptive.

The club are aware it was a fuck up. Its just a shame they haven't learnt from the Villa debacle.

Yep, it's shit that the game's not in Melbourne, but bugger it I'm heading up with my 7 year old son. He's been a Man City nut ever since they bought us. It's a good excuse for a little getaway in some sunshine. Anyone else heading up?

nope 

Ha, seems that way, no wonder we got great seats, we're the only dickheads heading up.

Yep, it's shit that the game's not in Melbourne, but bugger it I'm heading up with my 7 year old son. He's been a Man City nut ever since they bought us. It's a good excuse for a little getaway in some sunshine. Anyone else heading up?

nope 

Ha, seems that way, no wonder we got great seats, we're the only dickheads heading up.

Tbf I wouldn't have minded the sunshine and if I had kids who liked Man City its a pretty good oppertunity to kill two birds with one stone. Out of interest you going to their ICC games down here?

Club is now saying via social media that the ICC contract forbids Manchester City from playing any other match in Victoria, not just in Melbourne. This only after repeated questioning. It's just a repeat of the Villa debacle - and the Lampard debacle for New York City. This deceptive behaviour in the club PR really shits me, and I cannot see what good it does for anyone.

When determining whether its a conspiracy or incompetence always choose incompetence.

• Like 2