Melbourne Football

Forum changes 19/06/2015

Tesla

My 'enter' button gives me a double space for typing posts (happens on multiple PCs). Is there a setting to disable this that I can't see?

Will look into it, I really don't like the new editor in general, I wonder if I can change it.

The 20second wait time between searches, can that be removed? 

Now 10 seconds

I have difficulty posting though my phone or iPad. When I select the section to type my post a lot of times it ends up loading some other page. 

How so?

My 'enter' button gives me a double space for typing posts (happens on multiple PCs). Is there a setting to disable this that I can't see?

does this still happen?

Either it's stopped happening or it only occurs sometimes...

Can I ask a stupid question and sorry if its been asked or answered previously, why was it changed?

Well this is the newest version of the forum software and supposedly it's better.

The main reason I changed was to see if it would fix the malicious site issue for good, and it did, which proves that it was an issue with the forum software as I always suspected.

Overall, I do think it is better, there are just some issues to fix, most of which I have done just now. However the editor really bothers me in this version (TBH I'm not sure if the editor is any worse, because I always used it in 'BBCode Mode', and it's more the removal of that which is bothering me, I hate WYSIWYG editors) so still trying to see what can be done by that.

It is nice that it saves your post if you dont post it, eg I just accidentally exited the tab and it's nice to not have to rewrite. But also annoying on the other hand when I changed my mind about posting something and then it's still there next time I click to post (granted it takes half a second to just delete it as opposed to the minutes it might take to rewrite something).

TBH I don't see any huge improvements and/or differences, the main thing seems to be that the forum is now responsive and gives a much better mobile experience.

This was a new major version (this is IPB 4, previously it was IPB 3) so it still is improving and being developed constantly so in the long run I'm sure it will prove to be the right decision.

Of course, if it doesn't prove any good the other option is to change forum software, which I was contemplating previously for a number of reasons but decided to give this newer version a try first.

Cheers thanks for the explanation. Being a grumpy old dude any change is an extra annoyance even if its beneficial long term. That malicious site issue was a pain and if that's fixed then I'm cool with that although it just means I have to navigate the new features and being lazy doesn't help. Keep up the good work.

So is mf3 better?

I've made this default now, I think it's much improved (though could use a bit more refinement still)

Will probably delete the other ones if most people think this is better.

Edited by Tesla

Talked to the forum software makers, apparently the editor is one thing they have had a lot of feedback on and it is being improved, so we'll see how that goes.

Glad to hear it, on my ipad I have to touch the text editor before typing to get it to write even though the keyboard pops up, very annoying. Also it defaults to lowercase at the start of a para, instead of automatically capitalizing the first word.

Is there any way to turn the breadcrumbs (not sure if they're called that here) back on? You can only click back to the sub forum you're in from the link at the bottom left of the page, but you used to be able to see multiple levels from the threads. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...