Melbourne Football

Young Hearts, Run Free...

Dynamo_Melb_Warrior

Okay, I just wanted a brief description on the following young players in our senior squad. Some are getting a regular game, some are not. I don't have a chance to watch the Youth team so do not know the progress, so I wanted to see if you learned chaps and chapesses could give me your thoughts. Will they be here next year? Who has the most potential? What's happened to their progress?

00001867-thumbnail.jpg00001946-thumbnail.jpg00001928-thumbnail.jpg00001873-thumbnail.jpg00001861-thumbnail.jpg

Kamal Ibrahim, Adrian Zahra, Kliment Taseski, Nick Kalmar and Brendan Hamill.

Zahra, Kalmar and Hamill are all contracted for next year, so they will be with us.

Ibrahim and Taseski both come out of contract at the end of this season.

Zahra has been out of contention for the seniors all season because he is still recovering from the injury sustained in that appalling tackle by Muscat in the third derby last season. Kalmar has been out with a back injury for much of this season, and likewise Taseski with a broken foot.

I have seen both Adrian Zahra and Kamal Ibrahim playing for the NYL side. Just on what I've seen, Adrian has a way to go before he is going to push again for the seniors. I don't think anyone can have such an injury and not require quite a long time to recover from the psychological impact of it. Kamal is an enigma. 17 games for Australia U-17s and seven goals, so great things were expected of him when he joined the club, but his career seems to have stopped in its tracks. It may be our 4-3-3 system that contrains him - I don't know. When I saw him recently I thought he was playing as well as he has done for a long time. I was impressed with what I saw of Klim Taseski in the pre-season - reminds me a bit of Germano.

I would think that both Ibrahim and Taseski are on the 50:50 list for contract renewal.

Thanks for the information mate. Yeah I remember Ibrahim being mentioned as our youth player with the most potential, wanted to know what happened to him. Heard glowing reports from a mate who is a SMFC fan about Taseski, so let's hope he can realise his potential with us. Thanks also for the contract position of these guys. Think Zahra is a fantastic player and your right, probably needs to have no pressure to return this season then get another pre season into him. Was a revelation last season, so much pace and trickery.

As it keeps being said, with a new coach, it will be interesting to see the squad developments going forward.

Taseski and Zahra deserve our patience and hope they will go on to have an impact for heart. Don't know about Ibrahim atm. I've only seen him play once this year in the NYL game v Perth and he looked terrible. No confidence to run at his man, over hit all of his crosses and tended to hide rather than demand the ball. Haven't heard anymore positive reports from others so far this season.

I can't see where Kalmar has further development in his game. He seemed to start well for us then just plateau will need a good season next year to earn another contract.

Kalmar – Definitely had talent but the question was whether he could go from a VPL player to an A League player fitness wise and I don’t think he will be given more time to do so.

Kamal – Needs to be let go, he is not anywhere near the best five players when his on the pitch for the NYL side.

Taseski – If he can finish of the NYL Season/A League Season well and importantly injury free and have a solid spell in the VPL should probably be given another go mainly due to his defensive ability and our lack of defenders.

Zara – Will be given another season and I feel will get there. He has really improved in his last 3 NYL games in his performances compared to his first few games back. What you can often find with these injuries is you can actually see the players play for another year or year and half before they start improving on the players they were before the injury.

Your right, Right Back does not highlight Kamal's talents.

However his presence there also highlights Kamal's problems at Melbourne Heart.

We have an excess of Right Wingers, and I don’t think he can play on the left (I have never seen this is any Trial/NYL/VPL game) and he is not even first choice for RW in the NYL side.

Zara is on the improve and a better choice at RW and needs as much game time as possible, so I guess this the reasoning for the RB experiment.

Most of all Kamal needs to starts racking up consecutive games to get his fitness up and show his commitment to using that immense natural talent to have a long term future in the game.

Maybe thebest thing for he could be for the club to give him a shock by making it clear to him that his future is uncertain at Heart, and to go prove himself in the VPL in the off season whether it be on loan or as a temporary delisting.

Kamal had been getting used at right back, and I don't think it suits him at all. Of course a player playing out of position will be average

Absolutely. We sign this young lad, 17 appearances for Australia U-17 with seven goals, and his career stops dead. We have to ask why the hell are we taking him on, and then trying to convert him into a fullback. What's this about - other than this JvS obsession with converting everyone in sight into something that they're not?

Sure, there's no harm whatsoever in extending a player's capabilities. But if you need a fullback, sign a fullback, and when you have a fullback play him as a fullback. If you need a winger, sign a winger, and when you have a winger play him as a winger.

We've been bagging a few players on this Forum. Mea culpa. But when you stand back and look at the whole rather than the pieces, how many of our players are actually playing in the roles that match their capabilities?

Taseski was very solid at VPL level at South last year.

Kamal on the other hand wasn't as solid and after about two games found himself occupying the bench for the rest of his loan spell, with a few cameos in between.

Kalmar was really good last season, but he ran out of puff really quickly, so I think fitness is an issue with him, I hope we hold onto him as cover.

Zahra is he returns to full fitness and confidence should be our starting right back next season, presuming Marrone is leaving, which is likely considering his form this season.

Hamill is doing fine IMO, he is still very young and will only get better.

The thing with youth is you need patience.

Absolutely. We sign this young lad, 17 appearances for Australia U-17 with seven goals, and his career stops dead. We have to ask why the hell are we taking him on, and then trying to convert him into a fullback. What's this about - other than this JvS obsession with converting everyone in sight into something that they're not?

Sure, there's no harm whatsoever in extending a player's capabilities. But if you need a fullback, sign a fullback, and when you have a fullback play him as a fullback. If you need a winger, sign a winger, and when you have a winger play him as a winger.

We've been bagging a few players on this Forum. Mea culpa. But when you stand back and look at the whole rather than the pieces, how many of our players are actually playing in the roles that match their capabilities?

JVS is at fault with our defensive stocks.

But Kamal is a separate issue, as the above poster mentioned his form at South was poor and his attitude at MH training has also apparently not been the greatest.

A footballer should also be open to playing more than one position, if he is a purely one sided player esp with the presence of the Number 23 in our team.

We all know consequences will never be the same again if Taseski gets into the first team. The Hoffman fanclub (which interestingly seems to have disappeared as of late) will be nothing compared to the following which will be generated behind Kliment. I look forward to such an eventuality.

The thing with youth is you need patience.

This. We can't expect a squad full of Goodwins who can immediately and seemlessly step up and provide quality in the A-League.

Kamal Ibrahim is a player I reckon we should stick with. I reckon he has been played this season as RB in an attempt to improve the defensive side of his game, not to turn him into an defender. Don't think we're trying to make him into another Behich. Also Kamal is only 19, and Goodwin (who was completely overlooked by Adelaide United) only managed to get his A-League debut at 20 two weeks ago. I expect our number of wingers to be reduced next season, so Kamal should be given a go next season. If that season doesn't go well we could cut him loose.

Hope to see more of Taseski. Zahra, Kalmar and Hamill I reckon are all young footballers who have shown enough to merit places at Heart for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Murfy1