Melbourne Football

Corey Gamiero

kingofhearts

• 4 weeks later...

SOME of the A-League’s brightest young stars could miss more than a quarter of the upcoming season under plans being drawn up to aid Australia’s bid to qualify for the 2016 Olympics.

Players including Terry Antonis, Corey Gameiro, Connor Pain and Jamie Maclaren are likely to be affected by the timetable mapped out by Olyroos coach Aurelio Vidmar, ahead of the Olympics qualifying tournament next January.

• 2 weeks later...

An interview with Corey on the club website:

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/video/exclusive---corey-gameiro-talks-about-starting-full-training-and-settling-into-melbourne/1295041

Sounds like he's almost at full training now, which is great news.

Listening to him, its clear he (or other players of his quality and ambition) would not have come to a club with wheelie bins for ice baths, a cow paddock for training and a glorified shed for a training base.  The CFG investment seems to have made a big difference in our appeal to the top potential recruits.

• Like 2

I know if I was a pro Footballer stuck in the A-League... the best place to play would be at City.

Proper academy, headquarters, linked to one of the biggest modern club$ in the world... 

Exactly. Last week my cousin signed for our youth team despite being offered a contract by victory, and he's a massive victory fan!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

City Confirms Gameiro Injury

Saturday, 28 November 2015

Melbourne City FC can confirm that forward Corey Gameiro will miss the rest of the Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season after suffering a rupture to the ACL of his left knee in Friday’s win over Perth Glory at AAMI Park.

Gameiro underwent scans on Saturday, which confirmed the extent of the injury. He will undergo surgery next week.

Head Coach John van’t Schip said; "We are of course very disappointed to learn of the extent of Corey’s injury, particularly after his hard work and rehabilitation with us, and his work to come back to fitness.

“Corey is no doubt devastated with the news and our thoughts are with him at this difficult period.”

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/city-confirms-gameiro-injury/4h18icodu6it1f98jvdlrs5bl

Devastating news. So much upside to him but if he can't stay healthy then he will never reach his potential. 

Must have a heap of character and mental toughness to go through all this.

We did well to get Novillo out of the injury replacement last year to Duff, hopefully CFG can pull a rabbit out of a hat again. Can injury replacement players be overseas players? Or given that he's an aussie do we have to replace him with another aussie? 

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

Devastating news. So much upside to him but if he can't stay healthy then he will never reach his potential. 

Must have a heap of character and mental toughness to go through all this.

We did well to get Novillo out of the injury replacement last year to Duff, hopefully CFG can pull a rabbit out of a hat again. Can injury replacement players be overseas players? Or given that he's an aussie do we have to replace him with another aussie? 

If our Visa list is full (which it is) it'll have to be an Australian player.

Was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but just looking at him when it happened it looked from his body language like he knew his season was over. Poor sod, must be devestating to have two seasons wrecked like this at this stage of his career.

The question is now what does the club do - are there any players out there worth signing as an injury replacement, or does Williams find himself back in the starting line up? 

Just tragic. Gameiro worked so hard to get through his recovery. And then his football return was very cautious, with him playing his first match 6 weeks ago, and his first match where he played more than 45 minutes was only last week.

He's still very young at 22, so he could quite conceivably recover and have many years ahead of him.

I'm rather confident with the depth we have at right wing, with Kuzmanovski, Zinni and Williams. Between the 3 of them I reckon we'll be fine at RW, and with Fornaroli and Novillo up front our attack should continue to be strong.

• Like 2

Very very sad news. Good luck mate and hope you can get back on the pitch again.

Our options look limited. Injury replacements are supposed to be "like-for-like" so with a full visa list that means an Australian winger to replace him. Or of course we could sign a guest player, but that's pretty expensive option unless we really were intending to do it anyway. There's no need to promote a youth player because they're already on our books. I agree with Murf that Kuzi and Zinni have to come into the frame now. Plus perhaps Novillo to the right and Zullo on the left?

I wouldn't start Williams unless desperate. Gets a sight of goal and his brain explodes. Doesn't seem to have learned a thing in four years with us.

Bring home Aziz Behich?

Edited by jw1739

I take it it was the same knee that he did his ACL 18 months ago? Well if in the AFL Geelong's Menzel could come back from three ACL's then so can Gameiro.

As for a replacement that will take a bit of time to find one and most likely to occur in the January transfer window - perhaps there may be a disenchanted player in another A-League club that may be willing to test our rehab facilities. But for next week the options are Zinni, Kuzzy and Williams.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Very very sad news. Good luck mate and hope you can get back on the pitch again.

Our options look limited. Injury replacements are supposed to be "like-for-like" so with a full visa list that means an Australian winger to replace him. Or of course we could sign a guest player, but that's pretty expensive option unless we really were intending to do it anyway. There's no need to promote a youth player because they're already on our books. I agree with Murf that Kuzi and Zinni have to come into the frame now. Plus perhaps Novillo to the right and Zullo on the left?

I wouldn't start Williams unless desperate. Gets a sight of goal and his brain explodes. Doesn't seem to have learned a thing in four years with us.

Bring home Aziz Behich?

there is no way Novillo would play on the right, as that means he would have to go to the bye line and cross it back, he wouldn't score many that way, and he ain't going to cut in on his almost no existent left foot