Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

I'd like us to recruit a guest player who can play finals, no point signing someone from the MLS and them they have to return before our finals. 

Because Lampard went on loan to Manchester City and then to NYCFC and Pirlo signed from Juventus and then the MLS season started just about straight away so neither had and off season last season. Can't see them going with out an offseason again, especially ah their ages. You can essentially rule them out if you ask me.

Personally I'd like to see a winger come in, tactically Ronaldiniho would suit and he's still one of the biggest names in football, everyone knows who he is, the fact he's 35, has had a couple of rough seasons and hasn't played for months does make me worry.

One player who I think could make a huge impact would be Emanuel Adebayor, massive name, is still only 31 and whilst he is a bit of a bad boy I think he's definitely worth the risk, as long as he works hard he'd dominate the league and there's no point being conservative for a guest player, might as well take the risk.

Not sure about that quote 

Anyway instead of throwing up random names I think it would be easier to work out what position this greatest ever Marquee/Guest player will fill.

We don't need another #9 Fornaroli,# 11 Novillo, #10 Mooy. So for me that leaves a right sided attacking player, a box to box mid or a genuine world class holding mid. Now the further back you go be it DM or even CB they rarely offer that wow factor.

So really it can only be a #8 or a #7.

Might be a bit of an outside chance, but Robinho could be the one. He has a six month deal with Chinese side Guangzhou Evergrande finish just after Christmas. All reports are that is an option for Guangzhou to extend but nothing seems to have been announced to confirm he's staying so ......

Edited by mattyh001

44 minutes ago, Tonyboozeadams said:

I don't remember what was in this quote or did I post blank?

eitherway, Mario Gomez please

I imagine that one of novillo or tuna will probably get marquee status next season. The question is who will be our Aus marquee

The marquee spots aren't specific anymore so I guess technically they both could become marquees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tonyboozeadams said:

I imagine that one of novillo or tuna will probably get marquee status next season. The question is who will be our Aus marquee

Why? It's a big jump to go from under the cap to genuine marquee status. Koren will leave, so the chance is there to get a bigger visa player than either Harry or Tuna.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tonyboozeadams said:

IIRC both players have contracts through until mid 2017. So the club doesn't have to rush either into the marquee spot(s)

10 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Might be a bit of an outside chance, but Robinho could be the one. He has a six month deal with Chinese side Guangzhou Evergrande finish just after Christmas. All reports are that is an option for Guangzhou to extend but nothing seems to have been announced to confirm he's staying so ......

He didn't work out so well the first time. It would certainly make me laugh.

Mooy was definitely inside the salary cap for the whole of last season, and he only got moved to a marquee spot in August this year (http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/media-release-melbourne-city-fc-re-signs-aaron-mooy-as-marquee/wt958wo4emqlzunxhp910auk). 

THE FALSE 9: ROUND 9 - Hey brother, can you spare a few million dollars for Kaka?

8 Dec 2015

By Greg Prichard

Brazilian great Kaka has tweeted pictures of himself cycling around Sydney and swimming with the sea turtles, but speculation he may extend a holiday Down Under to include a guest stint in the A-League is wishful thinking in the extreme according to one of Australia's biggest agents.

False 9 asked Lou Sticca if he thought there was even the remotest possibility it could happen. Sticca replied: "Kaka has signed a long-term deal with Orlando City, so I can't see it happening.

"It would cost outrageous money unless there were some family or personal reasons for Kaka wanting to do it, reasons we're not aware of. He's had a very successful season at Orlando and I couldn't see him being a player who would come to the A-League.

"He's on mega-money, so unless he's got some motivating reason to do it other than money I just can't see it happening. Clubs in the MLS spend a lot of money to sign these marquees and they're not going to want those plans to be diminished by agreeing to short-term stints.

"There is the risk of injury as well. I think it's people putting two and two together and getting five. As a fan I'd love to see it happen, but I'd view it as an extreme long-shot."

Socceroo coach Ange Postecoglou contributed to speculation about an A-League signing to end all signings when he made his end-of-show prediction on ABC TV's The Offsiders program on Sunday.

"The biggest marquee we've ever had will join the A-League in January and make it the best finals series ever," Postecoglou said.

After visiting Sydney last week, Kaka was seen taking in the sights of Postecoglou's home town, Melbourne, this week. Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City are the only clubs viewed as possibly being big enough to even contemplate trying to haul Kaka in for a guest stint.

Postecoglou didn't mention any names, so it wasn't clear whether he was hinting at Kaka or perhaps another Brazilian superstar in Ronaldindo, who has been the subject of recent reports that he could surface in the A-League if the money was right.

But Sticca suggests we shouldn't hold our breaths on the Ronaldinho front either.

"Ronaldindo is out of contract, but these guys want staggering amounts of money and it's just not viable, unless, as I said earlier, you find a trigger where they have their own personal reasons for wanting to do it," he said.

Kaka is said to be on about $AU9.67 million per season at Orlando City. Anyone out there with so much money and a deep love of football that you want to throw several million dollars his way to try to convince him to put the boots on for a few games here?

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/12/08/false-9-round-9-hey-brother-can-you-spare-few-million-dollars-kaka

Although If one's interested in internet rumours, there's this on a Orlando City Reddit page...

Submitted 1 day ago by JoeyBoss

Hey guys, I'm new to Reddit and this is my first post - however - I received some intel yesterday that I thought was worth sharing.

I feel like I'm in the unique situation of living in Melbourne and supporting Melbourne City FC (part of the City Group) and Orlando City FC from afar.

Anyway - a reliable source tells me that an offer was put to Kaká whilst he was here and that he's going to be leaving Orlando and coming to Melbourne. Make of that what you will, I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad about this one?

https://www.reddit.com/r/OCLions/comments/3vqwo4/rumour_kak%C3%A1_to_melbourne_city_fc/

For my money though a move for Kaka won't happen. There's some credible talk about Ronaldinho (here twitter.com/lesmurraySBS/status/672226867382890497 ), however I'm pretty certain that move won't happen. Villa, Lampard and Pirlo aren't coming here. Tim Cahill isn't coming here. 

So it's pretty straightforward to determine which moves won't happen. Trying to figure out a marquee move that might happen is pretty much speculation at this point though.

Robinho is a rather reasonable guess. He's a player who's out of contract at the very end of this year, and generally speaking players like him who are out of contract in December are pretty ideal mid-season marquee targets. Van der Vaart is also a good guess IMO, as he's only featured 8 match-day squads this season for less than 150 playing time minutes total (started 2 matches, came off the bench in 2 matches, and sat on the bench for 4 whole matches). There aren't that many star free agents, star players coming out of contract very soon or star players getting little time at their present clubs, but two guesses are Niko Kranjcar (not playing or settled at his club in Ukraine) and Antonio Nocerino (not playing and seemingly on the way out at AC Milan).

Overall it's all speculation at this point. There are some interesting ideas for next season (Dirk Kuyt? Michael Carrick?), but as for a mid-season marquee signing this season there are few options and it's all speculation. I hope the club does sign a guest player mid-season, because one third of the season played the club is in no better a position than where it finished last season--5th--and there's no guarantees that the club will significantly climb places and finish a lot higher up the ladder. So the club should play its final ace card with the remaining spot outside the cap, the guest player spot, and increase the club's odds for real success this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wombegongal said:

He didn't work out so well the first time. It would certainly make me laugh.

I take it you mean from a man city perspective. 

Something that is rather chalk and cheese. 

Remember Robinho competing week in week out in England is different to here.  Over there a player has many backups itching for a chance. A bloke of Robinho's ability and price buys time here. 

Given Koren, surely any thing is better. As Robinho is more than capable (EPL performances week in week out as more the exception not the rule) he is certainly worth a thought. 

Plus he suits the "name" side of Ange's statement while being capable enough given performances in China. 

As I said in my original post tho, outside chance. So many aspects I am just putting a consideration out there. 

I Still expect a green line but👍

1 minute ago, agoalie said:

No chance ronaldihno is coming to us. Maybe another club but not us. 

Thank goodness. Would have been at least 3 years too late.

Most of the blokes mentioned I wouldn't want, because they wouldn't fit into the side. 

We  definitely don't need a new striker & I can't see us benefitting from a lazy winger like RVDV, our fullbacks are in enough trouble as it is. A centre back would help though, but this is a completely unglamorous position (just vital).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Thank goodness. Would have been at least 3 years too late.

Most of the blokes mentioned I wouldn't want, because they wouldn't fit into the side. 

We  definitely don't need a new striker & I can't see us benefitting from a lazy winger like RVDV, our fullbacks are in enough trouble as it is. A centre back would help though, but this is a completely unglamorous position (just vital).

Exactly this.

We don't need any fowards messing up the chemistry of the team.

We need a fast strong DM.

A centre back that is a beast. But as you said, these aren't sexy positions.

Nemanja Vidic playing much at Milan?

52 minutes ago, drewmelbcity said:

Question you have to ask is ronaldhinio any worst than our current wing selections.....Williams, garrucio, espindola. I would say having ronaldhinio is to have little expectation but knowing he wouldn't be any worse than our current wingers.

all three of those guys are willing to press and track back

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

@Murfy1 Mooy was aus marquee for first half of the season last season before kennedy came in, don't know how that's allowed but someone fairly high up at the club told me.

That's interesting. I was going off on the record sources, such as the pretty reliable David Davutovic:

APRIL 29, 2014

Last season’s Aussie marquee David Williams will be included inside the salary cap next season, so too Aaron Mooy who accepted a $300,000-a-year offer from Heart to sign from Western Sydney.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/heart-broken-by-lastplace-finish-so-mark-bresciano-josh-kennedy-are-marquee-targets/story-fnlpdr1y-1226900132803

(And the initial breaking story about Mooy being signed inside the cap here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/wanderers-midfielder-aaron-mooy-to-join-melbourne-heart-next-season/story-fnk6pqhd-1226819016711 )

If Mooy was signed as our marquee before Kennedy that would be the first known instance of 2 marquees being signed with the 1 marquee spot during an A-League season. And It would potentially open up a Pandora's box of issues, and arguably completely undermine the salary cap. For example, what's to stop an A-League club signing a player like Aaron Mooy with a big up front payment, before moving that player inside the cap, and then signing another valuable player with the same marquee spot and then moving him inside the cap, and so on and so on... So it would be a very surprising turn of events IMO if A-League clubs could sign multiple players with 1 marquee spot.

Interesting to learn Koren's salary. It flies in the face of initial reports:

APRIL 29, 2014 

David Davutovic

The new owners — The City Group — want to make two statement signings, pledging to fill both the international and Australian marquee positions after a poor campaign which saw them finish bottom.

They also plan to sign a guest player which, as revealed by the Herald Sun, could be New York City FC’s maiden marquee signing.

Heart officials will hold talks with the pair in the coming weeks when they join the Socceroos squad for the pre-World Cup camp in Sydney and are ready to make Kennedy or Bresciano the club’s highest paid player.

However they’re likely to be gazumped by the foreign marquee, with the new owners ready to spend well in excess of $1m to snag a quality attacker, eclipsing the $750,000 paid to Orlando Engelaar.

(same link as the one to the quote above)

And it's also interesting to read these early statements directly from CFG which also turned out to be misleading or false:

Michael Lynch

April 4, 2014

Melbourne Heart boss John van ’t Schip and the A-League club’s football manager, John Didulica, will be arriving at the City of Manchester Stadium within weeks to run the rule over a host of potential additions to the club’s playing list.

With Australian superstar Harry Kewell having retired and question marks over whether another high-profile marquee man in Dutch midfielder Orlando Engelaar will remain for another season, Heart has plenty of room for some quality additions to the roster.

But don’t expect any well known names or fringe players from new Heart owner Manchester City’s first team squad.

Brian Marwood, the man overseeing City’s Australian acquisition, says Heart could see anything between three and five new players added to the squad list this season, but they might not necessarily be current City players.

[…]

But, he points out, success isn’t simply a question of throwing money at players.

"The type of players we would realistically look at [for Heart] from here are young players on loan … we have to look at that because most of our players are either in our first team at 20 or out of the club.

''You are probably also then looking at players who are coming to the end of their career, and we don’t have too many of those.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/no-bigname-influx-from-city-planned-as-heart-looks-to-rebuild-20140404-zqqf9.html#ixzz2xtXt9guq

It's been pointed out before that CFG and Melbourne City FC has a big PR machine. Especially now that Melbourne City makes a lot less statements to the media than did Melbourne Heart, it's imperative that the club sticks to its word, and it doesn't peddle spin and falsehoods. The last thing this club needs is to further alienate supporters and football fans by making false and misleading statements.