Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

4 minutes ago, mulhollanddrive said:

Don't think we can seriously compete with a back 4 of:

Muscat, Chapman, Jakobsen, Rose

Marquee Full Back would be an odd position, but needed.

A fit and in form Franjic changes things but agree. Marquee fullback? Now that would be JVS special. Weirder things have been tried.

Reminds me of my last stay in Hospital, the guy in the next bed to me was having problems with bowel movements so in comes the nurse gives him a pessary and blythely states " you better go sit outside the toilet because in 20 minutes K pow and sure enough it worked just as she said it would but he never made it to the loo in time .

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

After watching Socceroos vs Chile I think I was overly harsh on Troisi. 

I think we should make him our 2nd Marquee. My original reservations were that I felt we could do better in both standard and profile. But considering we most likely will be paying 750k to 1.5m I'm not sure we could attract someone better.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Jovan said:

After watching Socceroos vs Chile I think I was overly harsh on Troisi. 

I think we should make him our 2nd Marquee. My original reservations were that I felt we could do better in both standard and profile. But considering we most likely will be paying 750k to 1.5m I'm not sure we could attract someone better.

Im all for some CFG magic. Sign him to Manchester, loan him to us under the cap..... And watch the hate flow.

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
35 minutes ago, Jovan said:

With all this talk of Iniesta and the FFA bringing back some sort of fund.

I think our Marquees for 2018/19 should be Fornaroli and Schenkeveld. 

If we are not careful Bart will walk.

Given his injury history i dont think he'd risk not playing again due to a contract dispute and imo he'll go the year after no matter what, so imo we should simply hold him to his contract, or offer him a modest increase under the cap. Anything more is overkill for me.

If he wants a more serious improvement on his deal it can be factored in upon a further commitment.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jovan said:

With all this talk of Iniesta and the FFA bringing back some sort of fund.

I think our Marquees for 2018/19 should be Fornaroli and Schenkeveld. 

If we are not careful Bart will walk.

Too early to talk about marquees yet. These guys are still being paid under this season's contracts.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Too early to talk about marquees yet. These guys are still being paid under this season's contracts.

So was Bruno when we offered him a new Marquee contract....

Edited by malloy
Edit: If we don't sign him up as Marquee we might run out of licence plates.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

I have it on a reliable source that we will not sign a big name or marquee. They are opting for young talent. Close this thread

If Budzinski can't be persuaded to leave I can't see how we can sign another marquee anyway.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Having a Marquee or a visa player on the bench is a big mistake. Given what Wazza knows now and the time he has to set up his team,  I don't think it will happen

We may not get a big name as such but Ninkovic, Bobo Fornaroli, BORT and co aren’t big names but have been stars in our comp. BART Ninko and fornaroli didn’t start as Marquees either 

11 hours ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

I have it on a reliable source that we will not sign a big name or marquee. They are opting for young talent. Close this thread

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Dylan said:

If De Silva comes here I can see us going for a winger marquee

Arzani                     Fornaroli                     Marquee

De Silva

Yeah let's bring De Silva in and get rid of Bud. Great move by the boss :droy:

Edited by playmaker

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Well anything is better than a bloke thats not playing...

Bud was equal second top goal scorer with half the game's as everyone else. De Silva has 3 goals from 21 matches has 0 assists, played 2259 minutes, starting 20 times

Shots an average of 0.14 goals per game in club competitions.
Season before last he scored 0 goals in 12 club matches.

Not even close to a good signing. He is the Kamau of the midfield.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Bud was equal second top goal scorer with half the game's as everyone else. De Silva has 3 goals from 21 matches has 0 assists, played 2259 minutes, starting 20 times

And Budz is the Robbie Koren of 2017/2018

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Irrelevant. By season's end Bud couldnt get game time. Anyone that gets games is going to have more impact than a guy that doesnt.

Despite that its irrelevant, you're comparing apples with oranges. A player in a good side is far more likely to score than one in a poor side.

You're the Kamau of this forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Very true. The only thing your missing is the Bud is/was our Marquee. No chance of De Silva taking up the Marquee and isn't a Visa. 

So for me if Budzinski is replaced by De Silva its a downgrade but if a quality Marquee  (that actually plays) is a net sum gain.

If we don't release him then we'll need to find a way to get him on the park.

The question is what does Joyce want from a number 8. By Bud's own admission that is his best position so if he can't fashion himself into Joyce's idea of an 8 then he is cooked. As a striker he did reasonably well but he won't play there while Bruno is fit. 

He probably needs to drop some weight and work on fitness a la Brattan. A full pre-season would be a good start.

27 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Irrelevant. By season's end Bud couldnt get game time. Anyone that gets games is going to have more impact than a guy that doesnt.

Despite that its irrelevant, you're comparing apples with oranges. A player in a good side is far more likely to score than one in a poor side.

You're the Kamau of this forum.

What's irrelevant?

The only reason why we are having this conversation is because the great and powerful Waz is a moron for not playing him. The fact is, he was much better than Mauk, and stats show he was everything a marquee CAM should be given his limited opportunity. 

Everyone is all googly eyed about De Silva but what I saw showed he isn't even a solid player and the stats show he is junk because a CAM first and foremost needs to create opportunities but instead De Silva contributed to  CCM's failings big time and we should not even be discussing De Silva as an option to replace Bud.

If we get mediocre players like De Silva for next season then we are going backwards. I would rather have Kamau back so at least watching the game will be like going to the circus and watching the clowns. 

Just now, playmaker said:

What's irrelevant?

The only reason why we are having this conversation is because the great and powerful Waz is a moron for not playing him. The fact is, he was much better than Mauk, and stats show he was everything a marquee CAM should be given his limited opportunity. 

Everyone is all googly eyed about De Silva but what I saw showed he isn't even a solid player and the stats show he is junk because a CAM first and foremost needs to create opportunities but instead De Silva contributed to  CCM's failings big time and we should not even be discussing De Silva as an option to replace Bud.

If we get mediocre players like De Silva for next season then we are going backwards. I would rather have Kamau back so at least watching the game will be like going to the circus and watching the clowns. 

What's irrelevant is that it doesnt matter what Bud's stats say if he's not going to be played, as he was for large parts of the season. Anything is better than nothing.

Maybe De Silva is better than Bud, maybe he's not, that's not the point. The point is that if he's an improvement on Mauk, then that's a net gain, as Bud was currently contributing nothing.
It would also open up a marquee visa spot to be used elsewhere, such as a wing, which is progress.

28 minutes ago, bt50 said:

What's irrelevant is that it doesnt matter what Bud's stats say if he's not going to be played, as he was for large parts of the season. Anything is better than nothing.

Maybe De Silva is better than Bud, maybe he's not, that's not the point. The point is that if he's an improvement on Mauk, then that's a net gain, as Bud was currently contributing nothing.
It would also open up a marquee visa spot to be used elsewhere, such as a wing, which is progress.

Agree to disagree, we need goal scoring potential in the middle rather than encourage wide play. The biggest issue last season was the lack of central options.

Every season it is the same discussion and we always end up at the same conclusion being we miss Mooy's creativeness and the central threat he posed.

History tells us we need a CAM/CM to crack open the defence which is not De Silva or Mauk but a Marquee. If it's not Bud then so be it but we need a Marquee or else we will be back to raging about indirect and slow ball movement again which I am quite frankly sick of. The solution is quite simple, that is, a high quality playmaker that is a threat from outside the box, in other words a Mooy-type player.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Agree to disagree, we need goal scoring potential in the middle rather than encourage wide play. The biggest issue last season was the lack of central options.

Every season it is the same discussion and we always end up at the same conclusion being we miss Mooy's creativeness and the central threat he posed.

History tells us we need a CAM/CM to crack open the defence which is not De Silva or Mauk but a Marquee. If it's not Bud then so be it but we need a Marquee or else we will be back to raging about indirect and slow ball movement again which I am quite frankly sick of. The solution is quite simple, that is, a high quality playmaker that is a threat from outside the box, in other words a Mooy-type player.

Dude you are completely missing the point. No-one is disputing the need for a productive playmaker. I'm saying that anyone that is playing in the best XI, is contributing more than someone that isnt. End of.

Edited by bt50

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Interesting you mention Mooy, because I reckon he's a better comparison to DaSilva than Bud is.

Without looking at them, I'd imagine Mooy's stats this year would be similar to DDS. A lot of toil without much success, because of the crap team he's in.

Moot point until you put some quality around DDS. Then you can judge how effective he is.

It's for this reason I was so critical of Caceres. He had the quality around him here.

BTW - bonus like to you for going 2 posts without mentioning the phrase: 'drain the swamp'.

Edited by rass
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, rass said:

Interesting you mention Mooy, because I reckon he's a better comparison to DaSilva than Bud is.

You are kidding right?

Without looking at them, I'd imagine Mooy's stats this year would be similar to DDS. A lot of toil without much success, because of the crap team he's in.

Moot point until you put some quality around DDS. Then you can judge how effective he is.

As a CAM he needs to create when he gets the ball, which BTW I didn't see him doing better than Mauk which tells you where he is at.

It's for this reason I was so critical of Caceres. He had the quality around him here.

Caceses was hardly played as he just made cameos off the bench which we were all scratching our head to the logic JVS showed.

BTW - bonus like to you for going 2 posts without mentioning the phrase: 'drain the swamp'.

Drain it so it is void of mediocrity so we don't have to cut and paste last season's posts and stay on the merry-go-round we have been on for the last 3 years.

Wazza should just stop being a dip shit when it comes to Bud and play our marquee.

He has one season to get it right, just don't stuff it up Wazza with whatever you chose to do.

He also needs to remember that at the is level Key position Marquees and Visa players will win you trophies, which is something that he didn't quite grasp last season and it was a huge mistake.

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

we miss Mooy's creativeness and the central threat he posed.

History tells us we need a CAM/CM to crack open the defence which is not De Silva or Mauk but a Marquee

And yet Mooy wasn't a marquee when he came to us, he came in under the cap.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

You are kidding right?

lol why would I be kidding?

If you get off your pony for a moment and actually read what I wrote instead of jumping to your conclusion that I'm comparing them on skill - I'm not.

The point I'm making is that DDS can't show his full potential at a team like CCM, because he doesn't have the quality support around him.

Similarly to Mooy. We already know his potential, but it's hard for him to post wonderful attacking stats playing for Huddersfield in the Prem. 

12 minutes ago, rass said:

lol why would I be kidding?

If you get off your pony for a moment and actually read what I wrote instead of jumping to your conclusion that I'm comparing them on skill - I'm not.

The point I'm making is that DDS can't show his full potential at a team like CCM, because he doesn't have the quality support around him.

Similarly to Mooy. We already know his potential, but it's hard for him to post wonderful attacking stats playing for Huddersfield in the Prem. 

I get all that, but to literally have zero assists ? that's bad 

1 minute ago, Chris p said:

I get all that, but to literally have zero assists ? that's bad 

Yep, agree. But nowhere have I said he's a gun, just that I believe he needs better players around him to show if all that 'potential' he has will come to something.

• Like 2