Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

2 hours ago, Young Polak said:

Wolfsburg have poor athlete managment, you obviously never seen bendtner play.

do you even bundesliga bro?

So it's Wolfsburg fault he couldn't be

f&£@** getting out of bed? If he can't be f*^%** to get up for a decent bundesliga side what makes you think he'll put in the effort here. Bendtner is a lazy c*^% and bad for team moral, bro!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortheloveofthegame said:

So it's Wolfsburg fault he couldn't be

f&£@** getting out of bed? If he can't be f*^%** to get up for a decent bundesliga side what makes you think he'll put in the effort here. Bendtner is a lazy c*^% and bad for team moral, bro!

Jesus christ, you know nothing about bendtner :hkpalm:

Thank god you're not in the recruitment department

3 hours ago, Young Polak said:

Jesus christ, you know nothing about bendtner :hkpalm:

Thank god you're not in the recruitment department

Maybe you should apply seeing as you're such an expert. Back to reality. He will never come anyway. Lord Bendtner would see himself far superior than anyone at City. Watch him slip away into football wasteland due to a poor attitude. Definitely something we can do without. 

6 hours ago, fortheloveofthegame said:

Maybe you should apply seeing as you're such an expert. Back to reality. He will never come anyway. Lord Bendtner would see himself far superior than anyone at City. Watch him slip away into football wasteland due to a poor attitude. Definitely something we can do without. 

No need to get upset, you are just misunderstanding his personality. He will have a better impact than engelaar and you know it. 

Must be a salty spurs fan or something

On 24 April 2016 at 4:22 PM, hakz7 said:

Looked at www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/endendevertraege for free agents at the end of season (because that's what the off-season does to you) to look at potential marquee players. Decent near-realistic options who we've actually heard of and aren't 35+ y.o (midfielders/attackers):

- Tom Huddlestone

- Riccardo Montolivo (who was reported to sign a new contract soon)

- Rasmus Elm

- Ricky Alvarez

- Michu

Rasmus elm was fucking gun in champ manager 01/02

Van der Vaart and Torres have apparently been fielding offers from the MLS for the past few months. They are eyeing off a move to a lifestyle league (America/Australia) as opposed to a superannuation league (China/middle east). Along with Berbatov (who is reportedly being courted by the visitors). We can assume that van der Vaart is open to a move to Australia given that he was offered to A League clubs at the end of last season (according to SST).

These are the type of players that the FFA wants clubs to target. Ratings and interest from the general public in the A League is at an all-time low and unless something drastic happens, the next TV deal will be worth less than the current deal. The FFA actually created the marquee war-chest to get clubs land big name players in order to boost the next TV deal.

5 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Van der Vaart and Torres have apparently been fielding offers from the MLS for the past few months. They are eyeing off a move to a lifestyle league (America/Australia) as opposed to a superannuation league (China/middle east). Along with Berbatov (who is reportedly being courted by the visitors). We can assume that van der Vaart is open to a move to Australia given that he was offered to A League clubs at the end of last season (according to SST).

These are the type of players that the FFA wants clubs to target. Ratings and interest from the general public in the A League is at an all-time low and unless something drastic happens, the next TV deal will be worth less than the current deal. The FFA actually created the marquee war-chest to get clubs land big name players in order to boost the next TV deal.

This article paints a different picture about A-league ratings. Interesting re A-league popularity vs EPL. What this article points to though is that A-league viewing and recognition by the broader general public will only expand when it gets a decent FTA deal. Being on Foxtel is not going to expand TV viewership or recognition. Seems kind of obvious tho'.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/03/a-league-popularity-grows-on-sbs.html

A-League popularity grows on SBS

March 29th, 2016By David Knox

2016-03-28_2345

New research data suggests A-League has grown to become more popular with Australians than English Premier League.

According to Roy Morgan Research, in 2015, 2.1 million Aussies (or 11.0% of the population) reported watching A-League football (soccer) on TV either regularly or occasionally, up from 1.4 million viewers (7.6%) in 2011.

Young men aged under 25 are the most avid viewers, with 19.6% of them watching A-League matches on TV either occasionally or almost always (up from 13.3% in 2011), but there has been a consistent upturn among men of all ages. Women, too, are more likely than ever to watch the A-League on TV, with increases across all age groups.

But the rise also matches the game’s accessibility, after joining SBS for the 2013-14 season.

Shaun Ellis, Industry Spokesperson, Roy Morgan Research, says: “The A-League has come a long way since its debut season in 2005, not least in terms of TV viewers. While its first eight seasons were broadcast exclusively on Pay TV channel FOX Sports, and therefore only available to Australians with a subscription (or access to somebody else’s subscription), it became more widely viewable from the 2013-14 season when free-to-air network SBS secured shared broadcast rights. Certainly, being able to watch A-League matches without a Pay TV subscription would be a determining factor in the increased proportion of men and women of all ages tuning in.

“Meanwhile, the English Premier League’s TV audience has remained fairly steady since 2011. Historically broadcast exclusively on FOX Sports, the EPL’s audience numbers will be worth monitoring once Optus takes over broadcast rights as of the coming season (with SBS just announced as a sub-licensee for exclusive free-to-air coverage of one match per round), to see how significantly this impacts on the number of Aussies watching the EPL.

Edited by HEARTinator

As an Australian football fan- I'm not sure I like that idea.  I think it's good for youth/young players in the league to be Australian's beginning their careers and using the A-league as a launching pad. 5 visa players is about right, so wouldn't really like seeing 5 + a young visa players, meaning potentially only 5 spots for Australian ( potential Socceroos) in each side. 

Edited by tommac

1 minute ago, tommac said:

As an Australian football fan- I'm not sure I like that idea.  I think it's good for youth/young players in the league to be Australian's beginning their careers and using the A-league as a launching pad. 5 visa players is about right, so wouldn't really like seeing 5 + a young visa players, meaning potentially only 5 spots for Australian ( potential Socceroos) in each side. 

The process though will allow only the better young Australian players to break into the first team, thus increasing the quality of the league since there will be less spuds.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

This article paints a different picture about A-league ratings. Interesting re A-league popularity vs EPL. What this article points to though is that A-league viewing and recognition by the broader general public will only expand when it gets a decent FTA deal. Being on Foxtel is not going to expand TV viewership or recognition. Seems kind of obvious tho'.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/03/a-league-popularity-grows-on-sbs.html

I agree on the A-League vs EPL, it is pretty obvious. The ratings themselves tell a different story.

According to figures from Fusion Strategy & Essence Media, audience figures for SBS have dropped 63% while those for Fox Sports are said to have slipped almost 25% from a reported average 88k after round two in 2014 to a claimed average of 61k average after round two in 2015.

The recent Sydney FC top of the table clash against Brisbane Roar, admittedly played on a drizzly Friday evening, attracted just 12,000 fans. Just 80,000 watched, out of the rain, on free to air SBS 2 and 73,000 on Fox

TV networks are not going to pay large amounts to show something that only attracts 80,000 viewers in prime time. However, the time when the A-League was most popular was the Del Piero/Heskey season: Figures released on Tuesday confirmed that Sydney FC's round two loss to Newcastle Jets was watched by the biggest TV audience for a regular season game in the short history of the A-League.

Melbourne City pushing FFA for new under 20 foreign marquee category

by MICHAEL PUTERFLAM

28 April 2016

MELBOURNE CITY’S A-League semi-final exit won’t have pleased the City Group, but the club is already trying to turn the club’s fortunes around with a new marquee plan.

City had arguably the best squad in the competition this season but were only able to muster a fourth-place finish and consequential 4-1 finals defeat at the hands of grand finalists Adelaide United.

Fox Sports commentator Simon Hill told the Fox Football podcast that he believes the Melbourne team underachieved this season.

“Given the squad that they I think they should’ve finished top two this season minimum,” said Hill.

“I know that the City Football Group, one of their KPIs is to be in the Asian Champions League. That’s where their brand gets the biggest resonance. It’s simple economics.”

But Melbourne City won’t feature in the Asian Champions League next season after finishing fourth.

Bruno Fornaroli’s 25 goals and Australian marquee Aaron Mooy’s 21 assists weren’t enough to take their team to the top of the table or to the season’s final match, and now the club is working on way to add depth to their squad.

City are in contact with Football Federation Australia to create a new marquee position for next season, said Fox Sports commentator Mike Cockerill.

“Melbourne City are pushing the FFA and have the support of the other owners for a new [marquee] category next season,” said Cockerill.

“A foreign under 20 player, which is their way of getting Manchester City’s youngsters out. That's what they hope to get out of the FFA.”

That would give the Melbourne club potential access to players such as 19-year-old Kelechi Iheanacho, who has scored nine goals for the Citizens this season. It could also open the door for City’s other up-and-coming youngsters, such as David Faupala and Manu Garcia, to earn professional gametime in the A-League.

And Simon Hill believes City will have backing from other clubs.

“They will have support of course from the Mariners who have a tie-up with Everton and wanted to do something similar,” said Hill.

Hill said it provides a good option to navigate around the inability to bring big name Manchester City players to Australia.

“Their reasoning is they can’t bring out established players from the first-team squad because of the metrics of the finances, the salary cap.

“So it has to be the youngsters if they’re going to make the most of the tie-up.”

While Melbourne City currently have Aaron Mooy as the club’s Australian marquee, no player filled the foreign marquee spot. And Hill believes that the club should change that as soon as possible.

“They’ve got that wealth,” said Hill.

“They’re the one team in the league who can be spending whatever they want on marquee players and they should be doing it. Because not just to grow their own crowds but to grow the league’s as well.”

And signing a big marquee would go a long way to solving some of the issues that are still holding the club back from growing at a faster rate.

“Their crowds were disappointing,” said Cockerill.

“These are ongoing issues. Sooner or later they’re going to get it right because the A-League needs to them to get it right. They improved on some benchmarks from last year but when you’ve got the resources they do you’re not going to be that patient.”

Hill acknowledged that Melbourne City’s crowds are growing - averaging over 11,000 this season - and that they also have the “best training facility in the country.” But that doesn’t mean they’re not lagging behind the City Group’s timeline for the club.

“I think they’re a little behind schedule after two years,” said Hill.

“There is a lost a similar timeline of slow and steady growth in the early phase and when they click into gear it accelerates somewhat.”

Could a massive marquee be a catalyst for their accelerated growth?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/melbourne-city-pushing-ffa-for-new-under-20-foreign-marquee-category/news-story/640ab65177f76fd2a8df153acbb6769b

4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Nah tbh lets learn how to do well within the current arrangements first and foremost 

Agreed, we released a marquee player in a transfer window and didn't even replace him let's worry about actually bringing in boss marquees who can play let alone kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jozzy said:

Agreed, we released a marquee player in a transfer window and didn't even replace him let's worry about actually bringing in boss marquees who can play let alone kids.

They're not just any old kids you know. They're from a major Premier League club. Some of them - like James Horsfield just for example - have been with ManC for many years and are close to debuting for the senior side. I'd rather have them than some washed-up 30-something-plus from some pissy little country that I've never heard of.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

They're not just any old kids you know. They're from a major Premier League club. Some of them - like James Horsfield just for example - have been with ManC for many years and are close to debuting for the senior side. I'd rather have them than some washed-up 30-something-plus from some pissy little country that I've never heard of.

I wonder what the thinking was behind Horsfield training with us last season, was he meant to actually play for melbourne city but rejected by FFA? Or was it just for experience?  And why haven't we had other Manchester youth players train with us this season at our state of the art training facilities?

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Having our links with Manchester City we'd be able to get our hands on an incredible talent and would give our club a real advantage but my post was to agree with what Luke had previously posted saying we need to worry about properly filling the actual marquee spot before trying to get in new rules. No body even mentions the Australian youth marquee spot, something we really need to be utilizing.  

You know what's actually funny mate we should be able to bring James Horsfield in this off season if the CFG wanted to, I believe you've got to be over 21yo to fill a visa spot, James turns 21 in September right before the start of the season. We can sign any of the City kids who are over 21, with out a doubt need to utilize it.

Edited by Jozzy

7 minutes ago, haz said:

I wonder what the thinking was behind Horsfield training with us last season, was he meant to actually play for melbourne city but rejected by FFA? Or was it just for experience?  And why haven't we had other Manchester youth players train with us this season at our state of the art training facilities?

He's been with ManC for 9 years, and is very close to making his debut. In fact I think I recall that he was either on the bench or close to it a few weeks ago. I'd say they'd like to give him game experience in the A-League to get him used to the "real thing" as opposed to playing other EDS sides.