Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

Quite possibly it could be Newcastle but I doubt it. Ange gave the impression the player coming is a very big name / high quality (according to Ange "biggest ever") so I doubt the FFA has the money or desire to do so. Plus what does it say to other clubs about the FFA willing to put money up for guest players?

I question the biggest ever side of it but Ange wouldn't be bullshiting much here. 

Plus from what I understand the FFA have to sign off on all guest players so Ange might have heard rumors across people in and out of the ffa

Edited by mattyh001

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

If Anges comments are coming through FFA rumours then could it be that the guest player is going to an FFA run club, namely Newcastle...

FFA have a history when they take over clubs due to poor management of just letting them tread water until a new owner is found. The only time that has been different in recent history is their pet project and the government game them 5mil anyway.

Oh and Ange's comments on boycotts and active groups is spot on. I also hate that crap that the fans think they are above the game. Even on this forum there are lots of times where comments seem to indicate that some people think they are above the club.

And the biggest in history? thats pretty infatic, almost so much so it seems that Kaka might not fit the bill? Would he be bigger than ADP?

Edited by Dylan

It does make me wonder if it could be Lampard or Gerrard. Both fit the bill, and are in their off season. Lampard would seem the more likely given where his contract lies, but then again CFG did piss the NYC fans off something chronic so maybe not. 

And if it's possible for us to get Kaka then Gerrard would be possible

20 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

It does make me wonder if it could be Lampard or Gerrard. Both fit the bill, and are in their off season. Lampard would seem the more likely given where his contract lies, but then again CFG did piss the NYC fans off something chronic so maybe not. 

And if it's possible for us to get Kaka then Gerrard would be possible

CFG have made it clear that any player we get will be here for finals which rules out anyone playing for NYCFC. So Lampard is probably not a chance.

• Like 1

My advice FWIW is to wait until it happens - if it happens. FFA is scrambling to control the fall-out over the "198 affair" and a good rumour over the imminent arrival of a star player could be just a ploy to get the fans back onside. And Postecoglou is an FFA employee...

4 minutes ago, RedAndWhitePride said:

Gerrard would be amazing, but considering he's training with Liverpool, and that Kaka has been in Melbourne, it seems fairly obvious as to who it would be. 

Kaka plays for Orlando so indoor know how he'd be able to play finals for us and have his preseason with them. Unless he's out of contract. Does someone know? 

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

My advice FWIW is to wait until it happens - if it happens. FFA is scrambling to control the fall-out over the "198 affair" and a good rumour over the imminent arrival of a star player could be just a ploy to get the fans back onside. And Postecoglou is an FFA employee...

Haha gold. And here I thought he was a dodgy so and so cause he worked for the 'tards 👍

Very true about waiting til it's all confirmed. That said Ange is usually fairly honest so if he has come out with something then I see it as a pretty reliable 'watch this space'

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Kaka plays for Orlando so indoor know how he'd be able to play finals for us and have his preseason with them. Unless he's out of contract. Does someone know? 

It seems like he's staying on board as Orlando have already sold out their season ticket allocation for next season. 

Let's say it is Kaka, where would he fit in the team, assuming everyone's fit? (Including Koren). 

Whoever it is, and if it's someone coming to us - really hope Mooy is staying as well. 

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

26 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Anyone in mind? 

I looked at who they have out on loan. Maybe Jovetic, but is he a "name"? Anyway he's out on loan until next season. Zuculini and Barattan wouldn't qualify as "names."

Just thought that some one already on CFG's books would be easier to arrange.

So, unfortunately no.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I looked at who they have out on loan. Maybe Jovetic, but is he a "name"? Anyway he's out on loan until next season. Zuculini and Barattan wouldn't qualify as "names."

Just thought that some one already on CFG's books would be easier to arrange.

So, unfortunately no.

Jovetic's loan deal is 18 months with no option to recall, and it's basically a deferred transfer anyway - at the end of the loan Inter pay a nominal sum to complete the transfer and he becomes their player in deed as well as word. The only reason he wasn't sold full stop in the first place is because the Italian clubs are colossal cheapskates and always seek to arrange deals like this which give them an extra year or two before they actually have to cough up any money. He is, essentially, no longer a City player though.

13 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

From what I understand about his recent club form, that comment would be more like

Id pay to see Ronaldinho on the piss

I would pay to see Ronaldinho on the piss. He could rock up to our games fucked off his mind, out of shape, wearing the wrong team's kit, slagging off our own supporters and killing kittens on the pitch and I would still worship him.

Edited by GreenSeater

Well what we know so far is this.

Ange has said, biggest marquee in Aleague history coming in Jan and will make a great finals series. So that means 29th of Jan start if its a guest stint although surely that could be manipulated (by paying out Koren and say they are our marquee for x amount of games)

Munn has said that if we do it it will be a football decision and I would suggest that having someone here for the finals would be a football decision.

So, it wont be anyone in the MLS currently (unless they leave the club) as their season starts on the 6th of march, so to get someone from there wouldnt be a 'football decision' and I think it will be a player that would complement Mooy and then probably take over from him once he goes next season.

I hope they announce it a few weeks before they get here so there is a build up of Hype and have a few weeks of training with the squad.  

On 6/23/2015, 12:16:43, n i k o said:

Mods please ban the above users for discussing serious matters in this thread

well i agree 100%, but that makes a pretty boring football forum doesn't it?

I know what we need = a top drawer defender and why not recruit one out of a relegation bound club in January?  Yes, that's right, let's get John Terry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I know what we need = a top drawer defender and why not recruit one out of a relegation bound club in January?  Yes, that's right, let's get John Terry.

Let's get Micah Richards. Would absolutely tear this league apart. 

28 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Not sure my throat could handle that much booing!

• Like 1

Frank Lowy takes parting shot at Melbourne City

December 7, 2015

Ben McKay

Departed FFA chairman Frank Lowy has urged Melbourne City to add a superstar to their five-star scoring machine.

Even before fan boycotts sent A-League attendances firmly into reverse, FFA was concerned about lacklustre crowd numbers in the competition's 11th season.

City are wowing on the field, with hauls of five goals in their past two outings taking them to the top of the scoring charts.

But the sister club to English Premier League giants Manchester City are struggling to tick over turnstiles, averaging just 7,370 fans to AAMI Park this season.
It's the smallest figure of any club and has executives in head office tearing their hair out given the resources available to City.

City's American counterpart club New York City FC has seen Frank Lampard, Andrea Pirlo and David Villa run around this year without an equivalent signing coming to Melbourne.

Lowy said he made FFA's feelings known to City in the last days of his tenure.

"We need more personalities in the game ... Del Piero and people like him," he told AAP.

"I had a discussion with them, pointed them out the expectations.

"I talked about (marquees), big personalities."

City's two marquees have begun the season in contrasting style.

Socceroo Aaron Mooy is on Johnny Warren Medal-winning form while international marquee Robi Koren has not played since round two.

A calf injury originally diagnosed as a two-week injury has ballooned out to six weeks but the 35-year-old is back in training and could resumed this month.

While the marquee slots are filled, City is understood to be considering options to bring a guest player for the back half of the season.

Corey Gameiro's season-ending ACL rupture, while unwanted, also gives the club flexibility to sign another player on an injury replacement contract.

But a new "banking" provision that allow A-League clubs to save unused parts of their salary cap for use in future years must also be considered.

That means City is more likely to promote a youth-team player in Gameiro's place rather than hunt for the next Harry Novillo, who first joined on a similar deal last year.

Unlike injury replacement players, the wages of guest players are not part of the salary cap.

John van `t Schip's side moved up to fifth on the table with their thumping 5-1 win at Central Coast on Thursday.

City will gun for a third-straight win at Newcastle on Sunday.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/frank-lowy-takes-parting-shot-at-melbourne-city-20151207-glhdd3.html?&utm_source=social&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=nc&eid=socialn:twi-14omn0023-optim-nnn:nonpaid-27/06/2014-social_traffic-all-organicpost-nnn-age-o&campaign_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_twitter

Hmm. 12 years as Chairman of FFA. Oversaw the formation of the A-League and all its attendant rules including restrictions on salaries, numbers, numbers of visa players, marquees and guest players. Most recently the changes to the loan rules (the "Lampard Rule"). Now wants to spend someone else's money to make the league more attractive.

Goodbye Frank.

• Like 3

Lacazette.

Pipe dream.

58 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I for the life of me can't think of anyone who would be feasible and would be the 'biggest in history' but I have a feeling it's going to be Ronaldinho 

I'd rather we not sign Ronaldinho. He's past it. We can do better with the money we throw at him i reckon.

• Like 1