Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

2 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Name, etc. is irrelevant, Engelaar is proof of that, it's much more a matter of the right fit.

A few months ago I would have agreed with you but given membership and crowds are down I think we need some sort of name to get a sugar hit in these figures. Before anyone relies - yes long term success is the only real way to get long term crowds.
A great player like Engelaar would eventually bring crowds but it would take ~ a quarter of the season before people realised they were good and responded by attending. It then wouldn't be until season 2 that that led to increased memberships (excluding mid-late season 3 match memberships).

46 minutes ago, Deeming said:

A few months ago I would have agreed with you but given membership and crowds are down I think we need some sort of name to get a sugar hit in these figures. Before anyone relies - yes long term success is the only real way to get long term crowds.
A great player like Engelaar would eventually bring crowds but it would take ~ a quarter of the season before people realised they were good and responded by attending. It then wouldn't be until season 2 that that led to increased memberships (excluding mid-late season 3 match memberships).

I agree. I think a short term boost with a name player could be really helpful. All you have to do is look at our 3 best non-derby home crowds, the best crowd with 15,717 against the Newcastle Jets (Newcastle!!) when Villa was in town, the second best with 13,752 against Sydney FC when Del Piero was in town, and 13,083 when we played Adelaide at home for Villa's last game.

I say a short term solution for the short term, and a long term solution for the long term. Ultimately consistent success will bring the crowds week after week, but it will take Melbourne City a few years to obtain the type of success that Sydney FC, Melbourne victory and WSW achieved and built their large supporter bases on. So while Melbourne City goes about obtaining that success over the longer term, why not bring in a little star power over the short term?

By the way..

Soccer circles in a spin about Melbourne visit of Brazilian superstar Kaka

November 29, 2015

Michael Lynch

Brazilian soccer superstar Kaka is due to arrive in Melbourne for a flying visit next weekend – a trip that is sure to fuel speculation that he could be checking out the city ahead of a potential move to an A League side as a guest player.

The former AC Milan and Real Madrid midfielder has won everything there is to win in the game.

He took out the Ballon D'Or award and FIFA world player of the year title in 2007, the same year he played with Champions League winners AC Milan.

Five years earlier in 2002 he was a member of the Brazil squad that won the World Cup.

When Real Madrid paid €65 million ($113.5 million) for him in 2009 he was at the time the world's second-most expensive player behind another Madrid galactico in Zinedine Zidane.

Kaka, who is now 33, left Europe last season to play in the United States with Major League Soccer expansion franchise Orlando City where his annual wage packet is about US$7 million a year.

No A League club could afford that sort of money, but they would love to talk to his agent about a short guest stint.

Hospitality industry sources revealed that Kaka would be in Melbourne next weekend on a visit in which he would look around the city and take in some rural and regional attractions.

They did not know whether he was here to consider the possibilities of a short stint in the A League or simply on holiday.

But there is no doubt that every A League club would fall over themselves to at least be able to sound out whether the Brazilian might be persuaded to play a few games over the Australian summer while MLS is in recess.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-circles-in-a-spin-about-melbourne-visit-of-brazilian-superstar-kaka-20151129-glax7b.html

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Murf what is your opinion on the need for a marquee.
Our squad is exceptionally balanced -- for the most part -- without a big name international. 
Usually a big name would play a big role, somewhere in the midfield (attacking) or striker.

I mean, getting a Maldini as a marquee at CB is hardly as exciting as getting a, say, Zidane attacking mid. 
Who from our current squad would you see out in the near future. Surely not the front line that's smashing in goals and surely not the attacking prowess of Mooy. 

I'm slightly hungover so let me know if this makes no sense

11 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Soccer circles in a spin about Melbourne visit of Brazilian superstar Kaka

November 29, 2015

Michael Lynch

Brazilian soccer superstar Kaka is due to arrive in Melbourne for a flying visit next weekend – a trip that is sure to fuel speculation that he could be checking out the city ahead of a potential move to an A League side as a guest player.

The former AC Milan and Real Madrid midfielder has won everything there is to win in the game.

He took out the Ballon D'Or award and FIFA world player of the year title in 2007, the same year he played with Champions League winners AC Milan.

Five years earlier in 2002 he was a member of the Brazil squad that won the World Cup.

When Real Madrid paid €65 million ($113.5 million) for him in 2009 he was at the time the world's second-most expensive player behind another Madrid galactico in Zinedine Zidane.

Kaka, who is now 33, left Europe last season to play in the United States with Major League Soccer expansion franchise Orlando City where his annual wage packet is about US$7 million a year.

No A League club could afford that sort of money, but they would love to talk to his agent about a short guest stint.

Hospitality industry sources revealed that Kaka would be in Melbourne next weekend on a visit in which he would look around the city and take in some rural and regional attractions.

They did not know whether he was here to consider the possibilities of a short stint in the A League or simply on holiday.

But there is no doubt that every A League club would fall over themselves to at least be able to sound out whether the Brazilian might be persuaded to play a few games over the Australian summer.

Love a juicy rumour :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, strider said:

Our squad is exceptionally balanced -- for the most part -- without a big name international. 
Usually a big name would play a big role, somewhere in the midfield (attacking) or striker.

I mean, getting a Maldini as a marquee at CB is hardly as exciting as getting a, say, Zidane attacking mid. 
Who from our current squad would you see out in the near future. Surely not the front line that's smashing in goals and surely not the attacking prowess of Mooy. 

In future can you not drink then post on here? Your starting to make sense and its concerning. 

• Like 6

Next marquee must be an attacking mid-fielder/forward. Must be involved in the action and capable of scoring. Nobody who doesn't normally attend matches makes and effort to go and see a defender.

A Fornoroli/Mooy but with a high public profile.

But the other thing is the club needs to know how to sell its next marquee. For a club with CFG behind it we seem remarkably poor at doing that. We have the most marketable Australian player on our books right now, and we do FA to use him as a marketing tool. Tuna and Harry N. are also very marketable personalities and players.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Next marquee must be an attacking mid-fielder/forward. Must be involved in the action and capable of scoring. Nobody who doesn't normally attend matches makes and effort to go and see a defender.

A Fornoroli/Mooy but with a high public profile.

But the other thing is the club needs to know how to sell its next marquee. For a club with CFG behind it we seem remarkably poor at doing that. We have the most marketable Australian player on our books right now, and we do FA to use him as a marketing tool. Tuna and Harry N. are also very marketable personalities and players.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Mooy is the quiet type who not only looks uncomfortable in front of the cameras but probably is. Suggested media training was howled down by other members because they like him as he is. And of course, it is also up to him.

One aspect of the guest/replacement marquee is the fate of Mooy:

Scenario 1: Mooy moves to Europe in the January transfer window. Then we desperately need an attacking mid-fielder that can provide service to Fornaroli and Novillo.

Scenario 2: Mooy remains until the end of the season and then departs. Then we need someone who can compliment the Mooy-Fornaroli-Novillo triumvirate. There is no point in having guest player that will try and supplant Mooy. This could be a high profile player that will also depart at season's end.

Scenario 3: Mooy remains until the end of the season and then departs. Then we need someone who can compliment the Mooy-Fornaroli-Novillo triumvirate. There is no point in having guest player that will try and supplant Mooy. This could be a visa player that may not have a high profile but can be used to replace Mooy once he moves to Europe.

Scenario 4: Mooy decides to remain in Melbourne and fulfil his contract for another two seasons. Then we need a guest player to bring the crowds back.

If Mooy goes, and I can't quite buy that just yet, but if he goes I give you our new marquee attacking midfielder:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-circles-in-a-spin-about-melbourne-visit-of-brazilian-superstar-kaka-20151129-glax7b.html

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLjdJ67241kG-1cYDOhcP

You read it first here sunshines B)

Edited by HEARTinator

2 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

If Mooy goes, and I can't quite buy that just yet, but if he goes I give you our new marquee attacking midfielder:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/soccer-circles-in-a-spin-about-melbourne-visit-of-brazilian-superstar-kaka-20151129-glax7b.html

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLjdJ67241kG-1cYDOhcP

Kaka says he's more then happy in Orlando, and the city loves him too. 

If it happens it will only be a guest stint 

10 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

I actually read it from Murf on the last page of this thread a few hours ago lol...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

In my opinion, Hughes, Mooy and Koren will definitely be gone come seasons end. Personally, I'd like to see us target Wilkinson for a cb and believe we could fit him in the cap, sign 2 marquee midfielders (who can actually play, unlike Koren), and sign a proper experienced RW.

Don't agree on Mooy at all.
I would list definite departures as Koren, Hughes, Zullo, Kisnorbo, Williams and Brown who are all out of contract at season's end.
The others coming out of contract are Chapman, Clisby,  Mauk, Melling, Trifiro, Marino and Dekker.

Just now, jw1739 said:

Don't agree on Mooy at all.
I would list definite departures as Koren, Hughes, Zullo, Kisnorbo, Williams and Brown who are all out of contract at season's end.
The others coming out of contract are Chapman, Clisby,  Mauk, Melling, Trifiro, Marino and Dekker.

Don't think Kisnorbo, Williams and Zullo are anything close to 'definite'. Likely perhaps, but certainly not definite.

For instance, if Willo was willing to take a pretty decent paycut I'd definitely keep him for under 100k.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Don't think Kisnorbo, Williams and Zullo are anything close to 'definite'. Likely perhaps, but certainly not definite.

For instance, if Willo was willing to take a pretty decent paycut I'd definitely keep him for under 100k.

How many more chances are you prepared to give Williams? Four seasons and the guy has learned nothing.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, strider said:

If the club were to sign a marquee this season (almost certainly with the 14 game guest spot), they should sign a winger. IMO a winger would complement the team, and wouldn't disrupt the strong spine the team has from Fornaroli to Mooy to Sorensen. And a position did just free up in the starting XI at RW...

Next season the club should sign a bona fide star midfielder, as two marquee spots in midfield are almost certainly going to become vacant.

Edited by Murfy1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

How many more chances are you prepared to give Williams? Four seasons and the guy has learned nothing.

Hes no star. But imo, hes definitely list worthy.

Hes proven that much at least over the journey with the amount of times he's come off thr bench and won the game for us 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Next season the club should sign a bona fide star midfielder, as two marquee spots in midfield are almost certainly going to become vacant.

Should but I'm not sure we will. It will be a good indicator of how CFG views this club. We know they're happy to spend the money on a training facility.
Last marquee they skimped on opening up the wallet and it was a massive failure.
A star midfielder they will need to be play 3-4 times what they paid for Koren.
Given they didn't seek to pay him out after last year, so we could get a decent marque, I'm not sure they'll bring the dollars. I hope I'm wrong.

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not mention that this is the marquee thread. Williams name shouldn't even be mentioned in here!

I'm going to throw an older player out there but one with a decent record. Miroslav Klose. Been bandied about before but if we end up going older he seems durable and professional and certainly brings a name.

Watching offsiders on abc this morning, Ange Postecoglou seemed to all but confirm a major marquee touching down in January. Given his position in FFA and network (aka ability find shit out about what's happening) I'd say something is pretty much locked in. 

Didn't who it is or which club, but surely we are the clear front runner. I can only see us, the tards and smurfs as clubs who can afford it. And given its probably a guest player (as all three clubs have both marquee spots filled) I'd think the CFG group is bringing someone out for us. 

Given kaka has been spotted in Melbourne, I'd say we have probably got a few green lines coming

Edited by mattyh001