Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

You have been given the task of transporting 3,000 apples 1,000 miles from Appleland to Bananaville. Your truck can carry 1,000 apples at a time. Every time you travel a mile towards Bananaville you must pay a tax of 1 apple but you pay nothing when going in the other direction (towards Appleland).

What is highest number of apples you can get to Bananaville?

Edited by n i k o

You have been given the task of transporting 3,000 apples 1,000 miles from Appleland to Bananaville. Your truck can carry 1,000 apples at a time. Every time you travel a mile towards Bananaville you must pay a tax of 1 apple but you pay nothing when going in the other direction (towards Appleland).

3,000 apples, because you bribed FIFA.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 2

3,000 apples, because you bribed FIFA.

None fructose intolerant.

833 (legit answer)
  • Like 1

Been thinking about this.

Can't see too many people bothering to send apples to the capital. I reckon demand for oranges will climb as people go for them instead of smuggled over priced apples. Will see a push for Apple products though as it looks like that tax won't apply to processed food, so purée, juice, cider, pies, strudels etc are more likely to be sent up there.

• 2 weeks later...

Nyc get pirlo villa and lampard and we get some championship player who is on a holiday. :up:

We would be better off having no marquee than having Koren for another season. Pay him out and fuck him off

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Bump. Koren is gone, realistic targets please. 
Samaras is not a realistic target

Not sufficiently knowledgeable to come up with names, but IMO we need to set out the criteria very carefully before even thinking of names.
CFG came up with Harry Novillo and El Tuna, and both have been a success so far so IMO we're looking for them to repeat the performance with a new marquee.
So...off the top of my head:
1. A player whose career appears to have stalled with his current club or in his current environment (a good player, but there's someone who is better sitting in his way of progressing further) rather than a player obviously in the twilight of his career.  
2. As Shahanga has said elsewhere, - no-one older than 28, playing regularly up to his signing with us, and with no significant history of injury.
3. A player used to playing regularly in warmer conditions rather than colder conditions. E.g. a Mediterranean climate (second league Portugal, Spain France Italy etc. rather than out of the U.K or Ireland).

I'm sure people can add plenty more ideas to the above, and I'm bloody sure that CFG have players on their database to fit the bill (as they've already shown).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Bump. Koren is gone, realistic targets please. 

Samaras is not a realistic target

is this for next season or as an immediate replacement for Koren? Over at the Robert Koren thread Murfy explains that he can't be replaced this season and our only hope is a guest player which has stricter rules of its own.

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not sufficiently knowledgeable to come up with names, but IMO we need to set out the criteria very carefully before even thinking of names.
CFG came up with Harry Novillo and El Tuna, and both have been a success so far so IMO we're looking for them to repeat the performance with a new marquee.
So...off the top of my head:
1. A player whose career appears to have stalled with his current club or in his current environment (a good player, but there's someone who is better sitting in his way of progressing further) rather than a player obviously in the twilight of his career.  
2. As Shahanga has said elsewhere, - no-one older than 28, playing regularly up to his signing with us, and with no significant history of injury.
3. A player used to playing regularly in warmer conditions rather than colder conditions. E.g. a Mediterranean climate (second league Portugal, Spain France Italy etc. rather than out of the U.K or Ireland).

I'm sure people can add plenty more ideas to the above, and I'm bloody sure that CFG have players on their database to fit the bill (as they've already shown).

Agree with this. I also presume that Chile, Argentina and Brazil can provide some candidates as well. Certainly the former two countries have dry conditions as well so their grounds are just as hard as ours.

Requirements:

Position: I think we would want a centre back, defensive midfielder or attacking midfielder (assuming Mooy goes at the end of the season).

Price: Hopefully CFG have realised that they will need to spend some dollars to get a worthwhile marquee. Maybe around 1.5m Euros.

Name: If we want to get some marketing we need someone with name recognition to casual Premier League fans.

Career: Also hopefully CFG realise ex-Championship players are not going to cut it. We should be going after someone with Champions League level experience. We also have to be realistic; we not getting anyone at the peak of their career, we should expect someone ~2-3 season post that. But we still want them to have played at least 1/3 of the games in their last season.

Age: Again we realistically we can't expect mid-20s. We should be targeting ~27-30 maybe up to 32 if a CB.

Philippe Senderos might be interesting meets most of my criteria; good club pedigree (Arsenal, AC Milan, Everton, Fulham, Valencia and Aston Villa, has moved around a bit but always at fairly high levels. This club pedigree is I think what we should target. Not a bad age. Some name recognition.
Questions however over soft tissue injuries (our favourite) in 2014 and has been left out of the squad this season.
Would take if passed a decent fitness test.

7 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Philippe Senderos might be interesting meets most of my criteria; good club pedigree (Arsenal, AC Milan, Everton, Fulham, Valencia and Aston Villa, has moved around a bit but always at fairly high levels. This club pedigree is I think what we should target. Not a bad age. Some name recognition.
Questions however over soft tissue injuries (our favourite) in 2014 and has been left out of the squad this season.
Would take if passed a decent fitness test.

Sign him up!