Shahanga

Velaphi

Madashi          Hamill

Germano                                   Behich

Engelaar

Fred               Mooy

Garica                 Aloisi               Kewell

Bench: Bolton, Kisnorbo, Marrone, Thompson, Duff

Found there were about 4 players (Behich, Fred, Engelaar, Mooy) that had to be there.  Behich by far best fullback, Fred was generally excellent when fully fit, Engelaar and Mooy just smashed it when here (even if for only 6 months and 12 months respectfully).  

Other spots a little harder, given (a.) the fact we have only been around for 5 years and (b.) the fact we have been soooo crap in more seasons than not.  Most players make the list simply because they have had a good 12-18 months somewhere along the line.

Most on the bench could easily find their way into the team and i'd still be happy

Edited by mattyh001

Except for the fact that despite often playing Make shift Full Backs on many occasions the club has never tried to use the logical formation you have presented of a Back Three with Wing Backs.

Happened once or twice didn't it?

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/coaches-return-to-three-at-the-back/19hu4e6mtg7cq1frlqagqiz57b

Yes - But nearly enough considering as I said above the players we had at our disposal... it was a rarity you have to admit that.

Babalj really not getting enough love. Yes he was disappointing when he came back because he didn't want to be here and wanted to be in Europe instead, but his performances before that are enough to warrant his place in any Heart/city best 11.

Edited by Tesla

• 1 year later...
On 29 May 2015 at 6:48 PM, Shahanga said:

Thought I'd try to liven up this forum a bit.

Name your best heart/City XI from our first 5 years.  

"The rules".

The players are selected on their performance for our club, not their record elsewhere.  eg, if you rated Grella's "3 minutes", by all means select him, but this is on his Heart form and ignores what he may have done in Serie A or for the Socceroos etc.

My Side:

Bolton

Marrone           Madaschi        Behich

Engelaar   

Fred            Mooy

Villa            Aloisi             Duff  

Comments:

• Villa only played 4 games, but scored 2 goals in that and we saw glimpses of his true class.  In the end I preferred him to Terra and both ahead of Novillo.
  • Aloisi's superior strike rate gets him the nod ahead of Babalj.

Update:

Bolton

Marrone Madaschi Wilkinson Behich

Engelaar 

Fred.              Mooy

Villa.         Fornaroli.        Novillo

i still prefer Bolton to Sorensen, too many dropped balls from the Dane and I'm still pissed off with that ridiculous pen he gave away against Mauk in a big game.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Update:

Bolton

Marrone Madaschi Wilkinson Behich

Engelaar 

Fred.              Mooy

Villa.         Fornaroli.        Novillo

i still prefer Bolton to Sorensen, too many dropped balls from the Dane and I'm still pissed off with that ridiculous pen he gave away against Mauk in a big game.

Pretty tough one this. It's when you're faced with something like this that it's brought home how many players have passed through the club, some staying for extended periods, and underperformed for us.

Up front I wish I could nominate someone to replace Harry N., but I can't, so on balance yours would also be my choice for the front three. Similarly in midfield I wish I could find someone better than Fred, but again I can't. The back four I differ though; I'd have Jaliens and Kisnorbo in place of Marrone and Madaschi. In goal I agree that Sorensen cost us that match against Adelaide - a poor effort with the free-kick and then that so-obvious clean-up of Mauk, and I don't think he can save a penalty to save his life. I'm surprising myself by going with Tando as our GK.

You haven't nominated a bench, but one player I'd have on mine is Safuwan. Like I do with Jaliens I think we passed up a big opportunity there.

21 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Agree with Shanga except Bolton.  I just don't see the why he gets so much love.  I don't recall him pulling off an air borne save tip around the post or over the bar.

Sorenson for mine everything else I agree with.

I loved Bolton but have no idea how anyone could say Sorenson has not been by far our best keeper.

He dropped a few balls and gave a away a pen. Lol. Fuck me. Go back and watch some replays of our old games

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Old thread but Schenkeveld pushing Matt Simon yesterday my melted my heart and I think he's already edged out Kisnorbo/Wilkinson/Gerhardt/Madaschi at CB in my all time XI after 5 games.

Fornaroli
Novillo-Mooy-Villa
Engelaar-Kilkenny
Behich-Jakobsen-Shenkeveld-Franjic
Sorensen

Honourable mentions to Bolton, Melling, Duff, Garcia, Brandan, Sibon and the CB's above

(For anyone not convinced by CFG recruiting, have a read above; our squads have improved out of sight since 2014)

15 hours ago, Forever City said:

Now that I think about it, I would put McCormack in for Williams.  

How do two blokes who’ve played 5 games or less make our best ever 11? :hmm:

Sorensen

Marrone Jacobsen Kisnorbo Behich

Engelaar

Mooy               Fred

Williams          Fornaroli         Novillo

BENCH:

Sorensen, Franjic, Garcia, Kilkenny, Dugandzic, Duff.

16 hours ago, neio said:

And on what possible thinking are you putting David Villa in for, here was here for 4 games. If it's off reputation than Harry kewell slots straight in 

Read my first post. Its on performance here.

(A lot of us think Villa looked pretty handy in his 4 games & we haven't had too much competition on the flanks)

I think you have to do it off the basis of consistency over the whole period the player was at the club. I think anyone who came for a less than a season is entirely derserving of our best ever XI.  Here is what I propose:

Tando (had a ripper season, too much sentimental value)

marrone Kisnorbo  Jakobsen Aziz

Paartalu

Mooy     Engelaar   Thompson

Williams     Bruno 

Bench: Terra, Bort, Novillo, Sorenson, Fred

I think this team could pretty much go toe-to-toe with any other teams best.  Got two of the best midfielders to ever grace the league in Mooy (the best) and the big Dutchman.  Paartalu got us out of so many shit situations (and so many last minute goals).  The amount of pure c*** in the back line is nothing short of amazing.  And you have our two greatest goal scorers upfront.  I think the bench have all done pretty special stuff for us. Bort has only played a few games but hes already shown himself to be one the best defenders we have ever had-plus he layed into matt simon the hack (pretty much earns legend status with me, like fernando last season)

Thoughts on this would be good

39 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Sorrenson

Marrone - Kisnorbo - Madaschi - Behich

Engelaar

Fred - Mooy

Garcia - Fornaroli - Novillo

Take out Paddy K and put in Jakobsen imo. 

By season's end I reckon you would also remove Sorrenson for Galekovic and Madaschi for Bart.

I would also arguably have Wilkinson in before Kisnorbo, if Madaschi was here long enough to be in a best XI then I reckon he was too.

One thing that has annoyed me going back over the list of past players is how much better many of them should have been for us. Either due to being played out of position or rubbish tactics structure e.g. Thompson, Gerhadt, Murdocca, Tadic etc. not to say that these guys necessarily were bad for us, but I feel they (and many others) could have been much better for us, but for the JVS/JA factor.

• Like 2

Sorensen

Marrone  - Wilkinson - Jakobson - Behich

Mooy - Engelaar - Fred

Novillo - Fornaroli - Kewell

Really shows our lack of quality on the wings when you're choosing between a crocked Harry Kewell, David "Top Row" Williams and Richie Garcia for the final spot. Brandan will hopefully produce enough this season to make him a shoe in for a place on the wing, although Fitzy is staking a claim on the past 12 months.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Duff was hamstrung by having no one to get on the end of all the quality crosses he put into the box. Had he had Fornaroli instead of Williams in the box I imagine people would've seen his impact to be far more impressive.

Is it a quality cross if there's no-one there to get on the end of it?

But what are the criteria for this discussion? Best actual footballers who have played for us, or the most effective in their respective positions while they were with us? IMO it has to be the latter.

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Is it a quality cross if there's no-one there to get on the end of it?

But what are the criteria for this discussion? Best actual footballers who have played for us, or the most effective in their respective positions while they were with us? IMO it has to be the latter.

I think it was more the quality of the finishing of the crosses Duff delivered that was the issue, combined with the lack of smart runs into the box.