Melbourne Football

NPL Match Day Thread

mus-28

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of  Cup Magic

True Until I die

A cold Friday night in Albert Park was the scene of my adventure.

During the day I had managed to convince a friend to join me on what promised to be a special night for Victorian football. Hellas vs Knights in the ffa cup v2.

Sure there was no big name signing in the form of Louis Saha but we were more than content with the prospect of watching Andy Brennan play his final game before heading to join the Newcastle Jets.

The trip was long and arduous with multiple train changes and a long tram ride, but we ultimately reached the hallowed turf of lakeside stadium, primed and ready for the big game. On our way to the ground we saw the club legend seed and nut seller and the designated smokers area packed to the brink the atmosphere well and truly established.

The stadium was buzzing as kickoff began with cries of ‘hellas ole ole’ ringing loud and clear. A few early chances to both teams, but little more. I can’t say I remember much more of the first half, and that is because I spent it in line waiting at the canteen. Yes that’s right, 40 minutes waiting for a hamburger as the club had run out of souvlaki’s (nearly causing an uproar and a few greek women became severely light headed!). I must say I was bitterly disappointed but my mood brightened when I turned around in the line to see the great man Mark Viduka behind me, having a lengthy chat to fellow ex-socceroo Kimon Taliodoras (Funny enough, the discussion was actually about the lack of mustard as a condiment, dukes was clearly unhappy).

Burgers consumed it was time to watch the second half, and boy what a thriller. The knights began to dominate the game and were rightly rewarded with a clinical goal about 15 minutes into the second half (a header from a corner). Following this goal a fight broke out below the stand with some disgruntled south supporters and jubilant knights fans which brought the whole crowd to their feet (this would not be the last time for the evening).

But like we have come to expect from ‘professional teams’ such as Melbourne city fc, the knights were too keen to sit back on their lead. The hosts had multiple chances to draw level and it was only when the knights centre back went full retard and kicked the ball into his own hand that south could score (milos Ljujic from the penalty spot).

South took the lead only minutes later sending the crowd into raptures, but it wasn’t to be the end of the drama, not by a long shot.

10 minutes later a south ballboy was sent to the stands after he attempted to delay time by not giving a ball to a knights player. He was joined in the sheds on full time by one knights player and south goalkeeper Nikola Roganovic (you may remebre him from the heart days) who both went absolutely spastic in a mass brawl in the final minute of the game.

The knights player left the field whilst giving the crowd the finger, roganovic was hailed as a ‘hero’ by the south fans, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he faces a couple of weeks on the sideline as he actually elbowed a knights player in the head.

Prior to this final brawl, South had killed the game with a 3rd goal but to be honest, they far from deserved the win. The players played like a bunch of pansies and were nowhere near as physically tough as the knights. They got very luck from an absolute brainfart from a knights player and took full advantage by scoring with momentum.

I can’t see South Melbourne progressing far into the actual ffa cup but with only qualifying match left, it seems ‘Oceania’s club of the century’ and its hardcore supporters will be able to hammer it into all of us once again that they should be in the a-league.

Congrats to the hellas and commiserations to the knights, a fantastic nights entertainment for the supporters which had everything (well except an actual high quality game of football- long live the longball!!)

post-544-0-40330000-1433510140_thumb.jpg

Edited by True Until I die
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...