Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC W-League

True Until I die

Right now the W-League is in the depths of its off-season and only one thing is certain. Melbourne City are still ahead of the rest and pulling away.

City, the team that arguably won the W-League because they stopped cutting the corners other teams cut as standard practice, are again, doing what one might hope was modus operandi for a W-League team.

Championship winning Melbourne City coach Joe Montemurro is a regular at Victorian Women’s NPL fixtures, scouting and observing in preparation for summer. And while that sounds simple, it’s the sort of advantage that right now gives him an edge on at least half, if not the majority of clubs in the W-League.

Melbourne Victory has seemingly responded to claiming the W-League wooden spoon by ignoring that it happened. No coach appointment, no updates to the team’s social media accounts since January 19, no interest in leveraging off the success of blooding youngsters by following their winter progress through NPL Victoria Women’s (perhaps a sign of unease that any of them will commit to coming back next summer).

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/why-w-league-clubs-should-take-notice-of-nplw/

Olivia Ellis is already in the W-League system and made two brief substitute appearances for Melbourne City in 2015-16.

But herein lies the challenge for the W-League to compete with Melbourne City. Which club can convince Ellis a season with them, potentially interstate, will be of greater value to her development than being a sparingly-used squad member training at the City Football Academy?

Ellis has returned to NPL with the confidence to dribble at opponents, strong concentration and positioning, good passing and an impressive level of aggression.

http://www.cornerflag.com.au/why-w-league-clubs-should-take-notice-of-nplw/

Some pleasant reading about our preparations for next season from the Corner Flag. Part of a longer and quite interesting article about some happenings in the w-league this offseason and profiles of some VPL players they think could make it in the w-league next season.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Not really W-League related but we can mention that the Manchester City women have started their season in a perfect way.. Six games, six wins..and no goals conceded!
Everyone expects ManCity and Chelsea to battle it out for the league trophy with Arsenal trailing a bit behind.

CFG ought to write a book about how to run womens football team..;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M13 said:

Not really W-League related but we can mention that the Manchester City women have started their season in a perfect way.. Six games, six wins..and no goals conceded!
Everyone expects ManCity and Chelsea to battle it out for the league trophy with Arsenal trailing a bit behind.

CFG ought to write a book about how to run womens football team..;)

Take all the best players and offer them better training conditions and pay them more. 

The End. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Take all the best players and offer them better training conditions and pay them more. 

The End. 

Seems like it would be easy for other clubs to do the same, and yet...

Anyway nice to hear the Manchester team is smashing it too. Hopefully their season ends as well as ours did.

7 hours ago, n i k o said:

The End. 

Well, Chelsea are doing the same so we got competition.. They are buying a minor stadium in london to build a new stadium/academy for their youth and womens team as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Question I'd like to ask him is regarding their involvement in the local communities. The partnership they have with the council in Manchester to build housing is quite remarkable. I'd like to know their long term plans with community involvement here in Melbourne. Obviously they are already involved in the community to a certain degree, but do they have some bigger plans surrounding this. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, n i k o said:

Question I'd like to ask him is regarding their involvement in the local communities. The partnership they have with the council in Manchester to build housing is quite remarkable. I'd like to know their long term plans with community involvement here in Melbourne. Obviously they are already involved in the community to a certain degree, but do they have some bigger plans surrounding this. 

Bigger involvements than today, yes..absolutely.
How big? Depends partly on the size of MelC itself I guess but they are really keen on community stuff in general

This is just speculation at the moment, but Football Federation Tasmania are interested in getting a wleague game played down there now they have a partnership with City.

FOOTBALL Federation Tasmania is looking to cash in on the rise in women’s sport by bringing a W-League match to Hobart.

With A-League, Socceroos, and Matildas matches off the cards for the foreseeable future­, chief executive Mike Palmer said FFT would be interested in bringing down W-League games for points as soon as this coming season after signing a new deal with Melbourne City in March.

“I think there would be real value in doing that, particularly [given] our relationship with Melbourne City, a W-League game is potentially easier to attract and potentially could be played here [at KGV],” he said.

FFT’s focus moved towards promoting player development as part of its new deal with City after three years with A-League rivals Melbourne Victory, and Palmer said the nature of the arrangements were “polar opposites”.

“Melbourne Victory was all about promotion and naming rights of the competition and all of that – Melbourne City is entirely about player development,” he said.

“Through our partnership with Melbourne City we’ve shifted away from the notion of an A-League game at the moment and we want to focus on providing opportunities for Tasmanian players.”

Tasmania’s last A-League fixture for points was in January 2013 when Victory played Central Coast Mariners at Aurora Stadium, but Melbourne City has no desire to change that as it continues to build its brand and spectator base in Victoria, according to Palmer.

“They’ve said all along that they don’t wish to have their home games down here, they just want to retain those in Melbourne” he said.

He admitted a lack of A-League games may make it difficult­ to draw new fans to the sport, but said having a one-off game would not be the best use of FFT resources and isn’t something being actively worked on.

“People tend to go and watch the sport that they’re involved in and interested in and it does take a big event to get a crossover, to get people from other sports to come and watch,” he said.

“We know from experience that an A-League game would achieve that, but it needs to be sustainable. The problem in the past is there’s been sort of an ad-hoc, one-off A-League game.

“If we were going to do an A-League game we’d want the same fixture for three to five years in a row to really build on that.”

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/football-federation-tasmania-may-get-wleague-teams-to-visit/news-story/fe31fbd57716293a7d82cbd5e72573b4

Not your average Joe: City's new-ish assistant coach

Clement Tito

22 June, 2016

Melbourne City W-League coach Joe Montemurro is set for a big summer ahead as he undertakes a dual position embarking on an A-League assistant coaching role to John van’t Schip simultaneously remaining head manager of the women’s team.

Montemurro guided City to a Premiership and Championship 2015-16 season and will also work with Michael Valkanis who left his role at Adelaide United to undertake the head assistant coaching role.

Naturally, the City women’s coach’s priority will still be in the W-League, but will also work the younger players in the men’s team. Montemurro will also get the opportunity to work with various players of first team whenever he is needed.

Despite now being a heavier schedule for Montemurro, the W-League success man denied any worries of being overworked and was looking forward to work in the A-League.

“It’s a tough one to answer to say whether this is the biggest gig in my career, I’d say being head coach of a premier women’s team is probably just as important,” Montemurro said.

“Working in the A-League is something I wanted to be part of and I thank the club for the opportunity they’ve given me to be part of a special group.

“There’s going to be a lot of time management that needs to be done in a precise way, but we’ll make it work for us and It’s an exciting opportunity which I’m really looking forward to.”

The City boss revealed there has been a new signing for the women’s team, with an extra two players on the verge of joining as well. However it could be revealed on who they were.

They will go into the W-League season with a similar setup as to what they had in their undefeated campaign.

According Montemurro, title contributors from last season Laura Alleway and Steph Catley who currently play for NWSL US side Orlando Pride are set to return to City next season in attempt to replicate their past success.

“We’ve only released a couple of players and will be making some more changes to the squad, but nothing too definitive. We’ve pretty much got everyone coming back,” he said.

“We’ll probably be changing three major spots, and three major positions. We have already signed one of those areas and we’re just about to sign the other two, but we’re retaining pretty much the same squad and hopefully continue a good start to our women’s program.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/not-your-average-joe-citys-new-ish-assistant-coach

1 hour ago, Kinnibari said:

Good news about retaining much of the squad. At least one of the big changes will be Little's replacement, the other one could be Fishlock, not sure about the 3rd. Could be for Davey if she makes the switch to AFL?

Fishlock and little will be hard to replace. Any idea if any ladies from Manchester will be used?

• 1 month later...