Melbourne Football

Melbourne City FC W-League

True Until I die

Great news. I remember Melbourne Heart saying they were going to create a W-League team once or twice and it never materialised. Very pleased to know that this club got there in the end, and City's W-League team will even start playing later this year!

Hopefully the W-League team play a number of curtain-raisers at AAMI Park before the A-League team, so the W-League team can play matches at the fantastic AAMI Park stadium, and lots of Melbourne City supporters can watch Melbourne City's W-League side in action. 

• Like 3

Great news. I remember Melbourne Heart saying they were going to create a W-League team once or twice and it never materialised. Very pleased to know that this club got there in the end, and City's W-League team will even start playing later this year!

Hopefully the W-League team play a number of curtain-raisers at AAMI Park before the A-League team, so the W-League team can play matches at the fantastic AAMI Park stadium, and lots of Melbourne City supporters can watch Melbourne City's W-League side in action. 

I think the main issue was FFV's opposition to a 2nd Victorian W-League side at the time, and likely a reluctance to fund it by the previous owners.

I'd be interested to see what the funding model is, as MV's team is currently funded by FFV. Will it be a 50/50 model where each club half funds the team, and the FFV funding covers the other half?

Great news to see us become more of a complete club. This may well generate additional interest in our cluboverall, especially with us now being able to tap into the rapidly growing women's player numbers and supporters of our sport.

I knew this would be coming, but wasn't expecting it this soon. I thought we might have had another 12 month wait or thereabouts maybe. Not at all surprised to hear CFG have been talking to FFA for a year about this, though.

Now can someone tell an ignorant pom what the difference between a Team Manager and a Head Coach is, and which one is the boss of the other? I'd have understood General Manager, as I understand that to be a Director of Football type job, but I thought both of those job titles were equivalent to "manager" in the UK sense. Whisper it quietly, but this is all a little Americanised to me.

Edited by Falastur

I knew this would be coming, but wasn't expecting it this soon. I thought we might have had another 12 month wait or thereabouts maybe. Not at all surprised to hear CFG have been talking to FFA for a year about this, though.

Now can someone tell an ignorant pom what the difference between a Team Manager and a Head Coach is, and which one is the boss of the other? I'd have understood General Manager, as I understand that to be a Director of Football type job, but I thought both of those job titles were equivalent to "manager" in the UK sense. Whisper it quietly, but this is all a little Americanised to me.

Head coach is the boss, like manager in the UK. And I think team manager is like an assistant. TBH its not a term I have heard a lot either

Head coach is the boss, like manager in the UK. And I think team manager is like an assistant. TBH its not a term I have heard a lot either

Team Manager is person who sets up al the stuff for the coaches and players. Training/match gear, etc.

Team Manager is person who sets up al the stuff for the coaches and players. Training/match gear, etc.

Isnt that what the assistant does?

Isnt that what the assistant does?

No the assistant helps the coach with the coaching aspects of the game. 

As I understand it. Louisa bisby will be the person at Melbourne City who works solely with the W-league team and their trainings, management etc.

Very interesting as Melbourne Victory have actually very little control over their w-league team.

I was talking to some youth female soccer players today at school (one plays at South Melbourne WPL and the other is a sister of Young Matilda and ex Melbourne victory w-league player Ashlee Brown. They believed the city team would dilute the talent as the talent is already quite spread out among the clubs.

However I am of the belief that the current victory womens team is actually not a fair reflection of womens football in Victoria with the vast majority of their players coming from the FFV NTC girls program.

To be successful, city will need to tap into the more experienced players who are currently plying their trade in the WPL or younger players who have fallen out of the FFV NTC ranks for whatever reason.

Quite excited by this news! One of the things I was particularly hoping for from the takeover, so I'm pleased it's happened so fast, comparatively speaking.

I wonder if we'll try to sign Melissa Barbieri? She'd presumably be interested in coming back to Melbourne to play since her family is here, and she's made the World Cup squad for the Matildas even if she is getting towards the end of her career.

It will also be interesting to see how much crossover there is between Melbourne City and Manchester City's teams in the offseasons. When does the English league run?

• Like 3

Quite excited by this news! One of the things I was particularly hoping for from the takeover, so I'm pleased it's happened so fast, comparatively speaking.

I wonder if we'll try to sign Melissa Barbieri? She'd presumably be interested in coming back to Melbourne to play since her family is here, and she's made the World Cup squad for the Matildas even if she is getting towards the end of her career.

It will also be interesting to see how much crossover there is between Melbourne City and Manchester City's teams in the offseasons. When does the English league run?

good point, it could be really good for both parties.

The final games are on Sunday 24th May

Very good call on Meslissa Barbieri. She does seem to have a pretty good connection with Melbourne Heart/City, dating back to 2011 and owing in no small part to melbourne victory's poor treatment of her.

Indeed since she leave victory in 2011 and tweeted "Going to buy a Melbourne Heart membership today!!" she seems to have had pretty good ties with our club.

Barbieri even said "I think it's about time for a @MelbourneHeart w league team!! Then it would be a whole football family community Club :)#groupphoto", and called for Melbourne victory to lose their W-League team so that Melbourne Heart could have the one W-League team in Melbourne https://twitter.com/Bubs_11/status/343210225513422848 .

She also made these great jabs at victory:

heart could do the same who knows... They might actually treat men's and women's equally

instead of wholly relying on the FFV to promote the game. #sharethelove

https://twitter.com/Bubs_11/status/343210225513422848

IMO, if only because of the above Melissa Barbieri would be an awesome first signing for Melbourne City FC's W-League team (and then, of course, there's the fact that she's a very talented GK and former National Team skipper).

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

Very good call on Meslissa Barbieri. She does seem to have a pretty good connection with Melbourne Heart/City, dating back to 2011 and owing in no small part to melbourne victory's poor treatment of her.

Indeed since she leave victory in 2011 and tweeted "Going to buy a Melbourne Heart membership today!!" she seems to have had pretty good ties with our club.

Barbieri even said "I think it's about time for a @MelbourneHeart w league team!! Then it would be a whole football family community Club :)#groupphoto", and called for Melbourne victory to lose their W-League team so that Melbourne Heart could have the one W-League team in Melbourne https://twitter.com/Bubs_11/status/343210225513422848 .

heart could do the same who knows... They might actually treat men's and women's equally

IMO, if only because of the above Melissa Barbieri would be an awesome first signing for Melbourne City FC's W-League team (and then, of course, there's the fact that she's a very talented GK and former National Team skipper).

Sounds like a whiney bitch who has NFI the amount of money it takes to run a football club.

It's all well and good to jump up and down and scream "equality this and equality that and blah blah blah" but when we can't even get the mens team in the a-league financially stable what hopes would the womens team have?

Sounds like a whiney bitch who has NFI the amount of money it takes to run a football club.

It's all well and good to jump up and down and scream "equality this and equality that and blah blah blah" but when we can't even get the mens team in the a-league financially stable what hopes would the womens team have?

not to mention the womens standard of skills is fucking horrible, u16's in npl would probly beat them 

I agree that it is hard enough to get the HAL clubs to make money, let alone the less commercially lucrative women's game, but that's only half the story.

Women's football is the true driver of growth in our sport in this country at this stage, so opportunities to improve the standard should be welcomed.

As I understand it, no W-League team is fully funded by the HAL club they are aligned with, leaving the burden to finance on the state federation.

Whether or not we have to fully fund our team, whilst MV get to continue their fully funded arrangement with the FFV will be interesting to see.

Biggest club in the league and can't even bother to fund a women's team? You can see why the women do feel let down by their attitude. MV get all the benefits of the club's branding out there, growing their overall supporter base network, yet don't invest a cent, or care for that matter.

Barbieri even said "I think it's about time for a @MelbourneHeart w league team!! Then it would be a whole football family community Club :). #groupphoto", and called for Melbourne victory to lose their W-League team so that Melbourne Heart could have the one W-League team in Melbourne https://twitter.com/Bubs_11/status/343210225513422848 .

It's all well and good to jump up and down and scream "equality this and equality that and blah blah blah" but when we can't even get the mens team in the a-league financially stable what hopes would the womens team have?This overlooks the fact that Melbourne Victree are and have always been profitable. In addition given they have all the infrastructure already in place the costs to have an extra team are much less.

in addition they gain the marketing benefit of that team's presence. All for nothing.

Obviously Barbieri is bitter because they sacked her, but she has a point. They can afford a women's team but refuse to fund it, whilst gaining the publicity and promotion for their men's team. really it's the sort of behaviour I'd expect from that mob. I'm sure they have their club motto up on the wall somewhere "the game last". No wonder anyone with any class follows City.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

not to mention the womens standard of skills is fucking horrible, u16's in npl would probly beat them 

This is a vicious cycle. No interest --> it's not profitable to become a pro --> skills are shit --> no interest. I'm pretty sure Barbieri has a day job, in fact I think none, or maybe only the very select few best from rich countries like the USA can survive on their football career alone. Therefore it doesn't make sense to devote your life to getting good at football the way blokes can.

It's a bit like how the A-League is basically garbage compared to European leagues, but that doesn't mean it can't be entertaining.