Melbourne Football

Dont miss out

Tesla

Hey Lads,

I'm not sure if you've all realised, but Serie A is currently the number one league in Europe this season.

qQZeLwt.jpg

Just like with the rise of every other league, you dont want to miss out on getting in early and claiming a team, because next thing you know it will be like how everyone was a Borussia Dortmund fan all of a sudden a couple years ago with the Bundesliga resurgence, or how everyone was a Liverpool or Chelsea fan all of a sudden a few years before that.

I thought I'd outline the some of the best choices for you blokes that think Parma is a meal at the pub.

For an immediate claim on success, you can't go past Juventus. Just won the title, again, and still in with a chance in the CL. Unlike with most title winning teams, it hasn't been that long since they were promoted, so you can try play the "I followed them since they were in Serie B" card as well. A real double win for you there if you choose Juventus as your team. The downside is that you might be about 17 hours late as I'm sure half the soccer fans in this country converted this morning to following Juventus after their win over Real Madrid.

Next choice is Roma. Proud history, going through a resurgence now, and will always be amongst the top few. Saves you from looking like a straight out glory hunter, while still being in with a chance of winning a title here and there and enjoying a reasonable amount of success.

Of course, there are also the two Milan clubs, Inter and AC. Again, proud histories, but currently not doing great. This is the perfect time to jump on board, as you won't look like the glory hunter that you are, but still get a claim on their history, and you know it won't be long until they are back on top and winning things. I feel these teams are a better choice than Roma for someone who wants to style themselves more as a "football purist", given the arguably better history while also doing worse currently. If you're stuck between the two Milan teams, don't forget Inter are the only team in Italy to never have played in Serie B, a nice little card to play every now and then.

Lazio is another great choice. Once again, good history, but more importantly they do well these days despite having no money. So again you get to support a reasonably successful team, but one that won't make you look like a full blown glory hunter, while also being able to play the "we have no money"/"we spend less on transfers" card. The downside is they will probably struggle to win trophies in the foreseeable future.

Let's not forget Napoli. Another with a proud history, forever being able to play the Diego Maradonna card. Like Roma, going though a resurgence recently and are perfectly poised for those who want the glory, want to support a successful team that will pick up trophies every now and then, but don't want to look like an all out glory hunter. Additionally, like Juventus, still not to late to be able to pretend you "followed them since they were in Serie B". Really combining the best of both Roma and Juventus here, a great choice. Additionally, they are owned by a rich movie director, giving them a bit of a 'cool' factor.

If you're smart, you might try think outside of the box a little. How about Atlanta, letting you claim some "purist" points by supporting a relegation battler. Why take the risk supporting a team chasing trophies, when you can support a relegation battler and claim some glory every season they remain in Serie A? And if things ever get really bad, they basically have the same kit as Inter so you can switch sides without having to buy a new kit.

Last (in more ways than one), but not least, Parma. Another great claim to history, while most likely playing in Serie D next season. What a purist and true football fan you could be, against the modern football that sent your club bankrupt and falling from the top of Serie A to the depths of Serie D. You don't even need to worry about results, you're just "against modern football", supporting your once historical club as it plays against part timers. The struggle is fucking real.

• Like 5

Plugging for my two teams (Mum and Dad's home towns). There's no way you can be accused of being a glory hunter with these two.

Udinese

Second oldest club in Italy, and now in the middle of their longest stretch in Serie A. Have never won, but came second once (and got relegated for something that happened two years previously). Has one of the best scouting networks in the world. Survives by finding youngsters, bringing them to Europe then offloading them to the big clubs. A good year means UEFA qualification (even CL a few years back), a bad year is a relegation battle(been a while, but there's always one around the corner). Owned by the Pozzo family who also own Watford and Granada.

Vicenza

Been a while since Vicenza was in Serie A, but with only a few games to go, they're currently in third place in Serie B and might just nab a promotion slot. It's quite an achievement considering a month before the season started they were in Serie C and only got promoted due to another team going bust. Only the one bit of silverware, an Italian Cup win that gained them entry to the old Cup Winners Cup where they lost in the semis to Chelsea. Best of all, they wear that most beautiful of strips - Red and White stripes (hence my love of Heart).

serie a has gone down the drain.. stick to premier league 

have always followed milan however its all fixed now.. hence why no fans turn up.

all juve at the moment.

that being said will still watch them come the chance.. 

Edited by Hazzaverx