Melbourne Football

Finals Derby

Tesla

Don't see why people see if we lose a major disappointment. We were not even expected to be there in the first place. So I'd rather see us lose but be given the privilege to see them one more time this season than seeing them lose against Wellington and having to wait next season to see them play again.

Edited by Tony999
  • Like 1

I don't share the same thoughts as many others on here that we have no pressure or that we have nothing to lose.. Our season has been inconsistent which is true... There have been good time and then we have been let down by terrible performances.. But I don't think anyone here can deny that in our team and on any given day we show real quality..

At times we have played teams off the park, and at others times we look like the worse team in the comp.

Now we are in the semi final and we got here on our own by finishing well into the top 6 and beating Wellington in Wellington .. Now we face the most consistent team in the league but the league is over and this is a new comp were any team can win. So the fact that Victory smashed us at Etihad twice, has no bearing on this game.. That's in the past

Our pressure is that the CFG has big expectations.. and one thing I'm going to be watching for is which players are winners and which players get overwhelmed by the big stage.. City players are playing for contracts, even the coaching staff face an uncertain future if we see a repeat of the 5-2 or 3-0 thumping...

I feel very nervous about tomorrow ... as a foundation member I have been waiting for this moment to see my team in the mix to win a major title for a very long time...

• Like 3

I don't share the same thoughts as many others on here that we have no pressure or that we have nothing to lose.. Our season has been inconsistent which is true... There have been good time and then we have been let down by terrible performances.. But I don't think anyone here can deny that in our team and on any given day we show real quality..

At times we have played teams off the park, and at others times we look like the worse team in the comp.

Now we are in the semi final and we got here on our own by finishing well into the top 6 and beating Wellington in Wellington .. Now we face the most consistent team in the league but the league is over and this is a new comp were any team can win. So the fact that Victory smashed us at Etihad twice, has no bearing on this game.. That's in the past

Our pressure is that the CFG has big expectations.. and one thing I'm going to be watching for is which players are winners and which players get overwhelmed by the big stage.. City players are playing for contracts, even the coaching staff face an uncertain future if we see a repeat of the 5-2 or 3-0 thumping...

I feel very nervous about tomorrow ... as a foundation member I have been waiting for this moment to see my team in the mix to win a major title for a very long time...

Maybe the players and manager feel that they have nothing to lose because they finished 5th and Victory finished first but as fans, whenever we play the scum, there is everything to lose! I hate them for many reasons but their fans are the number one reason and so whenever we play them I get nervous because the thought of them beating us and hearing their smug comments just kills me every time.

So I'm definitely not relaxed about this game. However I am quietly confident we can win it if we play like we did last week and just ensure they don't score early. 

• Like 1

The talk about there being "no expectations" on City and this game being a "bonus" has been said by Melbourne City people to pile pressure on victory (who the pundits/media were always going to tip as favourites anyway). That is, it's more rhetoric or strategy than a statement that aims to be truthful/accurate.

And the strategy has worked pretty perfectly. JVS and others set the tone pretty well right after the Wellington game, and many have spoken of City as a "dangerous" side for victory to play. I've also sensed some nerves in the victory camp, and their fans are on the edge of losing their shit being so nervous.

There's also the hope that City players themselves won't get nervy, and will rise to the occasion and play football unburdened and produce their best stuff, because the expectations and attention have been put on victory. 

Overall I'd say it's worked pretty well and the atmosphere around City going into this game is just about as good as it could be IMO. Now the lads just have to produce on the pitch, and come up with a performance similar to last week's against Wellington, or the 1-0 derby win in December, and City are a real good shout to prevail.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

I'm excited because we have never played for such high stakes. Facing the scum in the semis is only second best thing that could happen to us in a league.

Beating them in the grand final will come one day.

That's when I'm taking ambulance cover

• Like 1

I have a feeling Kennedy is gonna fire up & will be relishing the chance to play in a massive game. He is a proven big game player & can score when it’s needed.

And Germano will be lobbing the ball at his head all night until both his hamstrings snap.

p.s. Might be a bit late notice but since we have the 1st & 2nd tiers at North end could be a good opportunity to drape some signs / flags / streamers etc off the second tier. Anybody onto this?

Came here to post the same thing, these guys are genuinely worried. 

"Let them know where they are, let them know they do not belong"

I normally refuse to go and suss out there forum because it doesnt take me long before i flip my shit when it comes to Victard supporters, but seeing this one just shows me that they clearly have issues.

And that he is clearly a pussy

Hahahaha omg that is legit the best thing I've read in a while.

We can do the same, we have the same number of people in our terrace  :up:

They're so scared it is quite entertaining. 

• Like 1

Massive day ahead. Can't pinpoint if I'm nervous or just excited continually changing.

My only hope regardless of the outcome that we put in a good shift. Last few visits have been horrendous and i swore i wouldn't be back to that shit stadium.

Now I'm nervous.

• Like 1

What time is the kick off? It only comes here at 10:30 UK time

Is there a link I can watch the build up on?

Well we are 8 hrs ahead of the UK so kick off itself would be at 11:40 your time.

That's good to hear. At last I will see a proper build up 

Well we are 8 hrs ahead of the UK so kick off itself would be at 11:40 your time.

It's 9hrs ahead, 10:36am local start.

Well fuck me my samsung much be fucked cause it said London is 8 hrs behind.

Oh well either way, at least youll get to watch the game Silva10

Well fuck me my samsung much be fucked cause it said London is 8 hrs behind.

Oh well either way, at least youll get to watch the game Silva10

I will be on here for the build up

Pain of A-League semi-final defeat remains raw for Melbourne Victory

RIGHT now Melbourne Victory supporters have little butterflies in their stomach as they read this.

They’re excited about tonight — and who wouldn’t be?

More than 50,000 people are set to attend what some are labelling as the biggest game in the 10-year history of the A-League.

But those fans, they can’t shake the feeling that those butterflies are something a little more than excitement.

Their team, led brilliantly by coach Kevin Muscat, have been the best all season.

It won the most games (15), scored the most goals (56) and conceded the least (31).

Melbourne City on the other hand finished 18 points behind their cross-town rivals, scored 20 less goals and conceded 10 more.

Two derbies at Etihad Stadium resulted in a combined scoreline of 8-2.

Victory fans know that they have a better football side than fans of their despised rivals.

But this is a final, a one-off game of 90 — or 120 — minutes.

Anything can happen. And those stats, if their team suffers a shock loss, will count for nought.

Those pangs, rising further in to their chest as they read this? That explains them.

Victory is a club that, from chairman Anthony Di Pietro to kitman Guido Chayan, demands success.

But Victory is also a club that hasn’t won a grand final since 2009.

The title is so close, but the pain of losing at this stage in the last two seasons also remains raw.

City coach John van’t Schip started the mind games as soon as his side upset the Phoenix in Wellington on Sunday night, saying that all the pressure is on Victory tonight.

He’s right, yes, but Muscat will tell you that pressure is something that he and his players have to live with every day because they play at the biggest club in the A-League, with the biggest and most expectant fan base.

Victory is the AFL’s Collingwood or the NRL’s South Sydney. Everyone gets themselves up for games against them.

So pressure? Muscat will be telling his boys to lap it up.

It’s not to say, either, that City has nothing to lose. Of course it does. No one wants to lose a semi-final, no one wants to lose a derby, so there is plenty on the line tonight.

But would anyone really be surprised if City loses tonight?

And, despite having the backing of English Premier League giant Manchester City, would anyone argue that a finals appearance and first playoff win in the club’s history doesn’t constitute at least a pass mark for the season?

For Victory, however, the consequences of defeat tonight are far more dire.

Cant get any more spot on than this article imo

Edited by [LIBBA]

Massive day ahead. Can't pinpoint if I'm nervous or just excited continually changing.

My only hope regardless of the outcome that we put in a good shift. Last few visits have been horrendous and i swore i wouldn't be back to that shit stadium.

Now I'm nervous.

THIS :up: .

Could be the biggest day for the club yet. If the lads coming out firing and play to win we'll erase the pre-Christmas crap that was the Villa fiasco and win new followers. Come win or lose, would be fantastic for the lads to be able to walk off the ground with heads held high knowing they gave it their all. This is our day.

• Like 3