Melbourne Football

Finals Derby

Tesla

Good luck to the boys tomorrow and to all of you going. I have to sign off now for a couple of weeks. Will have to log on to see the score from, of all places, close to HQ in the United Arab Emirates, and if we make it to the following week, from somewhere off the coast of Portugal.

Whatever the result we know that we're only going to get bigger and stronger as a club, and that there will be many more of these big matches into the future.

Forever City. Never lose heart.

Good luck to the boys tomorrow and to all of you going. I have to sign off now for a couple of weeks. Will have to log on to see the score from, of all places, close to HQ in the United Arab Emirates, and if we make it to the following week, from somewhere off the coast of Portugal.

Whatever the result we know that we're only going to get bigger and stronger as a club, and that there will be many more of these big matches into the future.

Seeing the sheik and then heading off scouting?

Always knew you were a bandwagoner mate :)

As mentioned early I have 4 Non Active City End Tickets at cost value of $50 each...

PM and you can collect them of me at The Pub Pregame and as a bonus put a face to the name of the grumpiest kent on the forum. 

Edited by cadete

As mentioned early I have 4 Non Active City End Tickets at cost value of $50 each...

PM and you can collect them of me at The Pub Pregame and as a bonus put a face to the name of the grumpiest kent on the forum. 

I dont need a ticket, but would still like to put a face to the name of the grumpiest kent on the forum all the same.

18-man squad to take on Victory in the semi-final

Thursday, 7 May 2015

Melbourne City FC:

1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK)

4. Connor CHAPMAN

5. Erik PAARTALU

6. Aaron MOOY

8. Massimo MURDOCCA

9. Harry NOVILLO

10. Robert KOREN

13. Jonatan GERMANO

15. David WILLIAMS

16. Joshua KENNEDY

18. Paulo RETRE

20. Tando VELAPHI (GK)

21. Stefan MAUK

23. Mate DUGANDZIC

24. Patrick KISNORBO ©

26. Marc MARINO,

27. Kew JALIENS

28. Nick SYMEOY

***Two to be omitted**

Ins:

23. Mate DUGANDZIC (returns from injury)

27. Kew JALIENS (returns from suspension)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable:

3.Robbie WIELAERT (ankle – 1-2 weeks)

11.Damien DUFF (ankle/calf – indefinite)

14.James BROWN (foot – 6 weeks)

19. Ben GARUCCIO (ankle – 5-6 weeks)

22. Jack CLISBY (ankle – 1 week)

25. Jacob MELLING (knee – indefinite)

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/18-man-squad-to-take-on-victory-in-the-semi-final/9qk5fmrgy26z1357fma9g4y2b

Came here to post the same thing, these guys are genuinely worried. 

"Let them know where they are, let them know they do not belong" Pretty simple way to fix this. we all have to sing until our lungs give out! I'm keen!

18-man squad to take on Victory in the semi-final

Thursday, 7 May 2015

Melbourne City FC:

1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK)

4. Connor CHAPMAN

5. Erik PAARTALU

6. Aaron MOOY

8. Massimo MURDOCCA

9. Harry NOVILLO

10. Robert KOREN

13. Jonatan GERMANO

15. David WILLIAMS

16. Joshua KENNEDY

18. Paulo RETRE

20. Tando VELAPHI (GK)

21. Stefan MAUK

23. Mate DUGANDZIC

24. Patrick KISNORBO ©

26. Marc MARINO,

27. Kew JALIENS

28. Nick SYMEOY

***Two to be omitted**

Ins:

23. Mate DUGANDZIC (returns from injury)

27. Kew JALIENS (returns from suspension)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable:

3.Robbie WIELAERT (ankle – 1-2 weeks)

11.Damien DUFF (ankle/calf – indefinite)

14.James BROWN (foot – 6 weeks)

19. Ben GARUCCIO (ankle – 5-6 weeks)

22. Jack CLISBY (ankle – 1 week)

25. Jacob MELLING (knee – indefinite)

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/18-man-squad-to-take-on-victory-in-the-semi-final/9qk5fmrgy26z1357fma9g4y2b

There is no way ramsay or hoffman are going to be here next season

Van 't Schip urges City to enjoy the occasion

By Iain Strachan

Thursday, 7 May 2015

The Dutchman wants his team to express themselves and play with freedom when they tackle heavy favourites and local rivals Melbourne Victory this weekend

Secure in the knowledge that Melbourne Victory are heavy favourites, John van 't Schip wants his Melbourne City players to enjoy the A-League semi-final on Friday night and take the game to the Premiers' Plate winners at Etihad Stadium.

City surprised Wellington Phoenix 2-0 away from home in the elimination finals last Sunday, booking a huge derby showdown against their local rivals with a place in the Grand Final the prize on offer. 

Now they have another upset in their sights, with Van 't Schip encouraging his side to seize the opportunity.

"The message is clear – to enjoy this great game, big game, the boys are up to it," he said.

"We've showed in the past several times that we can play good games against Victory … it's a finals game so it's going to be even bigger. We are ready, the boys are fit and focused. Enjoy the game and go for it and give all the best you have. That's the message."

City took a safety-first approach to their final in New Zealand last weekend, keeping it tight at the back before catching Phoenix out twice in the space of nine second-half minutes.

They chose to press Victory aggressively in three derby meetings during the regular season, winning once but losing twice heavily, leaving Van 't Schip likely to stick with a more defensive approach in this clash.

"Every game is different, but why should you change things if they're good? I don't see any reason to change (the) system … in a game, your gameplan, you can change different kind of things within the system, so we will have a look to see what we can improve," he said.

The Dutchman also rejected suggestions City's players may struggle to reach their potential in this game after already defying expectations to reach the last four.

"I don't feel that (way) at all, that's not the case," he said.

"We're professional players, we want to achieve the highest (finish we can). We have enough players in the team that know what that means and in the coaching staff that know what that means. 

"We are prepared to play another game and that's the Grand Final. To do that you have to win. It's not going to be an easy task but it's going to be a great challenge. 

"The pressure is more on Victory. We should really go out there and give them a hard time."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2015/05/07/11492552/van-t-schip-urges-city-to-enjoy-the-occasion

Fuck, I am so nervous about this game.

Nothing a few too many CC and cokes wont fix ;)

I've started already!

I made a joke last week that the imp better not run out of CC otherwise the shit will hit the fan and fuck my luck they ran out of it.

Bev and Micks FFS dont let me down

I'm over 40, yet I feel like a kid I'm so pumped and excited for this.

Fukn cmon!!!!!!!!!!

Thats ok mate.

As Seb Ryall always says.

Age is just a number

don't know whether to laugh or cry at that one!

why not do both and cry with laughter :D

If we are going to take advantage of our aerial advantage, Williams needs to be dropped for Mate (if he is fit enough). I am not a massive fan of either of them but I’d prefer Mate's shit crosses over Willo's kicking it into Row Z.

only positive Williams can bring to this game is Yaya style shots, that take out tards in the crowd.

I feel dubious about Mate's injury status, even though he's back in the squad. Might be better with Willo.

If we have over 11k members but can only get 1k travel if we in a final then that seems pretty poor numbers wise , adl & syd not too far I would hope at least 2 or 3 k would travel based on it being a final

On a Sunday night with one weeks notice? It's still a big ask Doesn't help that we had the Asian Cup, if people already travelled for that its expensive to go on another trip, and at short notice.

If we are going to take advantage of our aerial advantage, Williams needs to be dropped for Mate (if he is fit enough). I am not a massive fan of either of them but I’d prefer Mate's shit crosses over Willo's kicking it into Row Z.

only positive Williams can bring to this game is Yaya style shots, that take out tards in the crowd.

The one advantage of us being dumped in the corner was the relative safety. 

Really not looking forward to this game, its going to kill me seeing Victory win this. 

It's games like these which are the reason we support this rabble of a club in the first place, if you're not excited for this then what's the point of following at all?

• Like 2

As expected, like with the previous finals match vs Wellington, pundits/the media are tipping victory as favourites:

A-League semi-finals: Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC face tough challenges from Melbourne City and Adelaide United respectively

Dan Colasimone

Thursday, 7 May 2015

The format of the A-League finals series always ensures a fascinating second week, with the top two sides after the regular season having had a rest and recovery period, while their opponents are coming off confidence-boosting wins in elimination semis.

In 2014-15, the two powerhouse clubs from Australia's biggest cities are poised for a potential dream match-up in the grand final, but both face considerable tests if they are to make it that far.

On Friday night, Premiers' Plate winners and title favourites Melbourne Victory host their nouveau riche cousins Melbourne City at Docklands Stadium, with the extra spice that comes with derby football adding an air of unpredictability to the encounter.

At the Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday, Graham Arnold's Sydney FC takes on Josep Gombau's Adelaide United in what could become anything from a tactical battle to a crowd-pleasing goal-fest.

Here is a look at how the four sides are shaping up ahead of the semi-finals.

Melbourne Victory v Melbourne City

A derby still in its infancy is gearing up for its defining edition. Melbourne Victory's slight edge over their City rivals will count for nought should John van 't Schip's side prevail on Friday evening.

The premier's first-choice goalkeeper Nathan Coe has been missing for a month after back surgery and will be covered by Lawrence Thomas, but aside from that Kevin Muscat has a full-strength side to pick from.

City, meanwhile, with less depth to call on, will have the appearance of a cobbled-together side. Big-name signings David Villa and Damien Duff have long been out of the picture while the likes of Jonatan Germano and Paulo Retre are now regulars in the starting XI, and should feature on Friday.

City's Dutch coach will be hoping those with A-League finals experience such as Erik Paartalu and Massimo Murdocca can provide an element of stability for the rest of the team to rally around.

It is already a surprise that City has gone this far.

Van 't Schip has done just enough to keep his job through the campaign, in often trying circumstances. He has understandably had trouble instilling a particular style of play with the many personnel changes going on, but this is now finals football, and he has a perfect opportunity to show off his nous.

Last week City suffocated the life out of a previously vibrant Phoenix and they will be hoping to pull another shock by doing the same to the Victory.

Van 't Schip's game plan will no doubt involve his hard-working midfield attempting to cut off supply to the likes of Besart Berisha and Kosta Barbarouses by smothering the Victory in the centre of the park. If they can pull that off they will be halfway to an upset win.

The Victory, meanwhile, have looked the most complete side in the A-League for most of the season, combining individual flair with a strong team ethic. Coach Kevin Muscat, a firebrand on the pitch, has thus far proven a patient and thoughtful manager.

For them, simply playing to their potential and not getting overawed by the occassion could be enough.

Key men

Besart Berisha: No matter how many star midfielders or canny defenders you have in your team, the presence of a top-class striker is the factor that so often proves the difference. Last year, Berisha and his single-minded, aggressive brand of attack was crucial as the Roar swept to victory in both the premiership and the championship, and now he has guided his new club halfway there. The Albanian hit-man was touted as the cutting edge the Victory needed, and so it has been proven.

Patrick Kisnorbo: The kind of defender who lives on braun and bustle, the veteran Kisnorbo only seems to get better with age. He has played every minute of every game for City this season and was the standout player on the pitch in his team's win over Wellington Phoenix last week. His defensive strength and fiery temperament will provide the game's most enthralling match-up as he attempts to bother Berisha out of the semi-final.

Prediction

Melbourne Victory 1 - 0 Melbourne City

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-07/a-league-semi-final-previews-no-easy-path-for-the-favourites/6452488

Edited by Murfy1

A-League Preview: Melbourne Victory v Melbourne City

Iain Strachan

Thursday 7 May 2015

Does it get any better than Premiers' Plate winners Melbourne Victory and their cross-town rivals Melbourne City facing off at a packed Etihad Stadium for a place in the A-League Grand Final?

FIXTURE DETAILS 

Friday, 8 May 2015 

Etihad Stadium, Melbourne 

Kick-Off: 7:30 PM local (7:30 PM AEST) 

SQUADS 

Melbourne Victory squad: 2.Jason GERIA, 4.Nick ANSELL, 5.Mark MILLIGAN ©, 6.Leigh BROXHAM, 7.Gui FINKLER, 8.Besart BERISHA, 9.Kosta BARBAROUSES, 10.Archie THOMPSON, 11.Connor PAIN, 14.Fahid BEN KHALFALLAH, 15.Daniel GEORGIEVSKI, 16.Rashid MAHAZI, 17.Matthieu DELPIERRE, 20.Lawrence THOMAS (GK), 21.Carl VALERI, 22.Jesse MAKAROUNAS, 24.Scott GALLOWAY, 40.Michael TURNBULL (GK) 

***two to be omitted*** 

Unavailable: 1.Nathan COE (injured), 26.Jordan BROWN (injured)

Melbourne City FC squad: 1. Andrew REDMAYNE (GK), 4. Connor CHAPMAN, 5. Erik PAARTALU, 6. Aaron MOOY, 8. Massimo MURDOCCA, 9. Harry NOVILLO, 10. Robert KOREN, 13. Jonatan GERMANO, 15. David WILLIAMS, 16. Joshua KENNEDY, 18. Paulo RETRE, 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21. Stefan MAUK, 23. Mate DUGANDZIC, 24. Patrick KISNORBO ©, 26. Marc MARINO, 27. Kew JALIENS, 28. Nick SYMEOY 

***Two to be omitted** 

Unavailable: 3.Robbie WIELAERT (ankle – 1-2 weeks), 11.Damien DUFF (ankle/calf – indefinite), 14.James BROWN (foot – 6 weeks), 19. Ben GARUCCIO (ankle – 5-6 weeks), 22. Jack CLISBY (ankle – 1 week), 25. Jacob MELLING (knee – indefinite) 

BROADCAST DETAILS 

TV Broadcast: Live coverage on FOX SPORTS 505 from 7.00pm (AEST).  Delayed coverage on SBS HD & SBS One from 8.00pm (AEST) 

Radio Broadcast: 774 ABC Melbourne Digital, online/ABC Radio Mobile phone app.

Hashtag #ALeagueFinals 

Referee: Kris Griffiths-Jones 

BLUFFER'S GUIDE 

They're calling it the biggest match in A-League history and not without good cause. It's fitting that in the 10th season of the competition we're rewarded with a huge semi-final between powerhouse Melbourne Victory and what could the coming force in Melbourne City. 

Traditional heavyweights Victory have re-established themselves as the country's dominant force by taking out the Premiers' Plate in the 2014-15 regular season. 

Having been made somewhat improbable championship favourites by bookmakers last year, City have struggled with the weight of expectation brought up about by their transformation from the old Melbourne Heart guise. 

The hype wasn't helped by the short-lived arrival of David Villa as a guest player and John van 't Schip has struggled throughout the campaign to achieve a consistent level of performance from his squad. 

They delivered when it mattered last Sunday though, surprising Wellington Phoenix 2-0 away from home to book a showdown with Victory. 

Kevin Muscat's men will start the game as favourites but we all know what happens to the form book in derbies. The Big V faithful will be praying their title hopes don't follow it out the window.   

OPTA DATA KEY STATS 

- City have kept a clean sheet in three of their last six against Victory. However, they’ve conceded at least three goals in each of the other three matches.

- Besart Berisha has scored four goals in three games against City this season. 

- Victory have lost at this stage in the play-offs in each of the last two seasons, to Central Coast Mariners in 2013 and Brisbane Roar last season. 

- City’s win over Wellington was their first victory in the play-offs, having lost their only previous appearance to Perth Glory in 2012. 

- Victory enter this game on the back of three straight wins. They’ve not won four in a row since December 2010. 

ROUTE TO GOAL 

Victory are the proud owners of the most dangerous attack in the A-League, having scored 56 goals throughout the regular season, four more than Sydney FC and a whopping 20 more than City. 

The capture of Besart Berisha from Brisbane Roar was a statement of Victory's intent after two seasons without a recognisable centre-forward, while Fahid Ben Khalfallah, lured to Australia from France, is arguably the find of the season.  

Those two newcomers have slotted in seamlessly alongside Guilherme Finkler, Kosta Barbarouses and Archie Thomspon, with the latter likely to start on the bench on Friday. 

City's attacking structure has been greatly improved by the introduction of mid-season recruits Josh Kennedy and Harry Novillo.  

Veteran striker Kennedy offers a focal point previously missed by what was often an ineffectual and inconsistent frontline, while Novillo - brought in at short notice to replace long-term injury victim Damien Duff - has supplied physicality and directness, not a quality that always been associated with the likes of Iain Ramsay and Mate Dugandzic.  

David Williams is likely to take play alongside them, with Robert Koren and Aaron Mooy pulling the strings. 

WHO'S BEEN IN THE SPOTLIGHT THIS WEEK 

He's not necessarily been under the microscope this week, but Lawrence Thomas could yet prove to be the difference between success and relative failure for Victory this season.  

The goalkeeping understudy has been thrust into the firing line following Nathan Coe's nerve problem, which required surgery late last month, putting him out of action for three months.  

Thomas hasn't done anything wrong in his handful of appearance to date, but is he good enough to pluck Victory from the jaws of defeat if called upon to do so?  

FORM LINES 

Melbourne Victory: WWWLW 

Victory signed off on the regular season and wrapped up the Premiers' Plate by beating the Central Coast Mariners 3-1 at home on April 26 in their most recent outing. Prior to that they recorded consecutive wins away to Brisbane Roar, having surprisingly lost 1-0 at home to Newcastle Jets earlier last month. That upset is their only defeat in the last nine games. 

Melbourne City: WLLDD 

Josh Kennedy's strike and a Glen Moss own-goal helped City to oust favourites Wellington in front of their own fans last weekend. It was a first win in five games for Van 't Schip's men, who had slumped to a 4-1 defeat away to Adelaide and a 3-1 loss to Perth Glory in their previous two fixtures. 

DID YOU KNOW? 

City have failed to score a first-half goal in their last four fixtures. Indeed, they’ve scored only four goals in the opening 45 minutes in their last 14. 

PREDICTION

Melbourne Victory 3-2 Melbourne City 

You often don't know which City side will turn up in these games. They're either fired up and tough to stop or they barely even bother to get off the bus.  

It was the latter in their most recent meeting back in February, when Victory cruised to a 3-0 win. Surely they'll bring their best in this one, but even then, we don't expect them to be able to halt the Big V's charge to the championship. 

http://www.sportal.com.au/football/a-league/a-league-preview-melbourne-victory-v-melbourne-city/op3hjx61l1pm17njxn6o4uenw

Edited by Murfy1

City hope to find consistency to see off Victory

May 7, 2015

Michael Lynch

Its doubtful if there is any club in the A-League who make things as difficult for themselves – at least on the pitch – as Melbourne City.

And if they are to make it through to the Grand Final on Friday night they are going to have to do it the hard way, by seeing off cross-city rivals Melbourne Victory, the best team in the league.

City's only consistency has been its inconsistency. Its chief virtue has been its ability to turn things round just in the nick of time when a series of flaky performances left it looking likely to drop out of the finals race.

Sometimes it exhibits those characteristics in a single game, and City's win over Adelaide in the regular season showed this better than anything else. 

The Reds looked slick and sure winners in the first half, but John van 't Schip's side came out, turned things round completely and blew away the premiership-chasing South Australians in the second half.

In the end City did manage to make the finals under their own steam and finished fifth. They did not have to rely on the exclusion of Perth Glory to get them into the play-offs, although if the West Australians had not been thrown out City would have finished sixth and their path to this stage could have been a bit different.

Van 't Schip's side rediscovered its mojo at just the right moment in Wellington last weekend, when the Dutch coach outsmarted his Kiwi counterpart, Ernie Merrick, and his players put in their best display of the season to see off the more fancied New Zealanders 2-0.

Getting this far, despite the disappointments of a decidedly up and down season, should earn the La Trobe University based club's hierarchy a tick from its majority owners, Manchester City, for whom a finals appearance would surely have been the minimum demand.

Now they are only one win away from a title decider. Few would have expected that when they were scrabbling around in mid-table mediocrity for much of the season.

City can win: if they keep their concentration, stay focused and structured in the way they did in Wellington and take whatever chances come their way.

They will need to defend smartly against Victory's lethal attack, but they can offer challenges of their own.

Josh Kennedy is always a threat on the ground, or in the air, so if City can ensure the quality of crosses is of a high standard Kennedy could cause some problems.

Rob Koren got back into something approaching his groove in Wellington and he needs to have a big game, as does French winger Harry Novillo, who wants to impress to earn a new deal to stay in Melbourne.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/city-hope-to-find-consistency-to-see-off-victory-20150507-ggw6hb.html

Against Victory, 'City have nothing to lose'

Francis Leach

Friday night's semi final between Melbourne Victory and Melbourne City is a watershed moment in the Hyundai A-League. It's the first time the two Melbourne clubs will face each other in a final.

It's a derby, but not as we've known them. 

It should be fantastic to watch. In the week where the FFA has outlined its blueprint for the future growth of the game, a blockbuster final between Victory and City offers a window on just how big the game can be.

If anything, the tempo,tension,urgency and energy of this contest will go to a whole new level. That makes this game unpredictable.

And for Kevin Muscat and Melbourne Victory that could be dangerous. Why?

Because Melbourne City have nothing to lose.

City finished 18 points behind Victory in the race for the Premiers' Plate. They were so far behind Muscat's men they would haven been lucky to see their taillights fading into the distance.

Nothing would satisfy City fans more than knocking off their cross town rivals and denying them a shot at the double in such a season of dominance.

Crucially, van 't Schip's team earned their finals berth on merit and not as a consequence of Perth Glory's folly. 

That sense of legitimacy was reflected in their performance in Wellington where they controlled the Elimination Final for long periods and took their chances when they presented.

It was the most pragmatic, efficient football of the season that City have played. Whether they can produce that sort of performance in the cauldron of a derby is entirely another matter.

Melbourne Victory have an abundance of attacking options that will stretch even the best defence.

Fahid Ben Khalfallah and Kosta Barbarouses are dynamic out wide and run hard to punish teams in transition. In Gui Finkler Victory have a fine technician who taunts and teases opponents with his intelligent movement and passing. 

At the sharp end of it Besart Berisha and Archie Thompson are big game marksmen. Both players raise their game when the stakes are highest and this contest is tailor made for players of their ilk.

Thompson has been part of the support cast this season and he's still managed to net 10 times.  Berisha's 13 goals are complemented by seven assists which indicates just how well he has integrated into this team.

Patrick Kisnorbo and Connor Chapman have built the foundations of a sold City defence. They will need the physicality of Erik Paartalu to provide a solid shield in midfield if City are to cause an upset.

With Victory's aggressive approach, City will get their chances. The sight of Josh Kennedy sticking one away last weekend was enormously encouraging for van 't Schip. 

Kennedy has struggled to find his role in this team but it may come together for him at just the right time.

In Harry Novillo van 't Schip may have found the man for the occasion. The Frenchman does not want for self belief. In these big games timidity is the enemy of success and you just know the former Lyon man won't die wondering.

For City to win its marquee man Robbie Koren must produce his best. The Slovenian International has been criticised for delivering below expectation this season.

Last week against Phoenix was his best performance of the campaign. It can't be allowed to stand as a one-off. This is where his experience and technique must pay a dividend.

Because the prize on offer is a spot in the Hyundai Grand Final. And the sweetest derby win of all.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/against-victory-city-have-nothing-to-lose/1w7nmvlhpew0q1h0lez71fmdw1

Edited by Murfy1