Melbourne Football

Finals Derby

Tesla

Really wish we had Melling for this game. Every team needs a cunt out there and our cunts injured :(. Could Paatalu fill in the cunt role for the game?

Novillo does a pretty good job at that, albeit in a different sort of way.

True, but Mellings just that midfield enforcer you could put on finkler to bother all game. Shutting down finkler is as important as our fullback defending in winning the game imo.

A few things:

1. We have a spot in the GF to lose. As do Victory.

2. The pressure is on Victory because they are expected to win since they won the premiers plate and pumped us in the derbies played at Etihad.

3. The air dominance will not be so great since Delpierre is 1.93m tall and weights about 86kg. And he also poses a problem for our defence since it was James Brown that brought him down in the box that enable Victory to score in the first derby.

Tbh they're right we don't deserve to be there. We've been average all year yet here we are, one win away from the grand final and all the pressure is on them!! I'm loving the fact that they're making excuses already and acting all cocky. They're the ones with something to lose not us. Sure we had a shit season but in this league it comes down to finals. We made the most of our opportunities last week and look where thats put us. So let them bitch and moan about us its just going to make the win a whole lot sweeter!!!

Go the heart

BS of course we deserve to be there. We have done all that is required to be in finals. Now if you ask me if the finals system (where you can be below average yet still qualify) is a joke then my answer is yes.

• Like 5

Tbh they're right we don't deserve to be there. We've been average all year yet here we are, one win away from the grand final and all the pressure is on them!! I'm loving the fact that they're making excuses already and acting all cocky. They're the ones with something to lose not us. Sure we had a shit season but in this league it comes down to finals. We made the most of our opportunities last week and look where thats put us. So let them bitch and moan about us its just going to make the win a whole lot sweeter!!!

Go the heart

Exactly how I feel, there's no anxiety this week given that we have nothing to lose. 

The finals system is admittedly a joke, but beating Victory and making the grand final would be an absolute dream! Wouldn't even care what happens the following week tbh ahaha

We definitely belong in finals.

We fixed up our leaky defence, we have beaten Victory, Sydney, Adelaide & Wellington and qualified for top 6 with 3 games remaining. And at least we didn't lose to the Jets (unlike the other Melbourne team).

Who cares about rounds 26 & 27. They were dead rubbers. With Novillo & Kennedy firing not to mention the form of Kisnorbo, Germano & Mooy we are now just as strong as them & Victory are shitting their pants.

Thats why Kevin MossCat is trying to pump up the plate over the dunny seat.

FORZA CITY!

If glory didnt screw up and brisbane finished with 1 extra point we would have finished in well deserved 7th out of 10.

2 weeks later we are in a 1 game away from the grand final :)  .....got to love it

If glory didnt screw up and brisbane finished with 1 extra point we would have finished in well deserved 7th out of 10.

2 weeks later we are in a 1 game away from the grand final :) .....got to love it

But Brisbane didnt finish with an extra point so we do deserve to be in finals regardless of how unacceptable we may have played in numerous games.

The tards are just pissed off because they are worried we will beat them.

2 weeks later we are in a 1 game away from the grand final :) .....got to love it

But then again, if we won that game against CCM while we were up 2-0 but blew it in the last minute, and if we won against the bottom sides CCM at their ground and WSW we would've had a home final. Bottom line is we are in the semi's now so lets go win it!

A-League gets 2.5 spots into the AFC Champions League right? So I know that the Premiers get 1 spot and the Champions get 1 spot, but I believe that if it's the same team it goes to the losing Grand Finalist...or is it whoever finished second on the ladder?

Who does the 0.5 spot go to?

Scenario: if we beat Victory on Friday night, but lose to Sydney in the Grand Final do we get the .5 spot to play in the AFC Champions League qualifiers?

A-League gets 2.5 spots into the AFC Champions League right? So I know that the Premiers get 1 spot and the Champions get 1 spot, but I believe that if it's the same team it goes to the losing Grand Finalist...or is it whoever finished second on the ladder?

Scenario: if we beat Victory on Friday night, but lose to Sydney in the Grand Final do we get the .5 spot to play in the AFC Champions League qualifiers?

Premiers get 1 spot, runners up in the regular season get the half spot, and the champions get the other spot. If the champions are 1st or 2nd the half spot will go to the third placed team during the regular season. So no, we wouldn't get it. The only way we're playing in the ACL is if we win the whole thing.

Edited by xXJawsaXx

We will be up against it with Victards.

Finkler will be terribly unsteady and fall over outside the box and be dangerous from the resultant set piece. Berisha will be practicising air swings in the box and go down faster than a $50 hooker.

Top it off we'll have to contend with whoever the whistle happy ref we get to make sure the FFA gets the relevant high attendance final (conspiracy theory).

If my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

If if if. Anyway Perth's points were inflated because they were cheating.

Honestly this debate doesn't belong on our forum. We did qualify as per the leagues rules and now we are trying to win the dunny seat (& have as good a chance as anyone). Our rivals are shitting themselves and well they might.

Start a thread on 18 May on what the finals should look like.

Top it off we'll have to contend with whoever the whistle happy ref we get to make sure the FFA gets the relevant high attendance final (conspiracy theory).

To be fair if we're talking conspiracy theories the ffa would rather we get through, an aami park gf isn't great for the ffa coffers. Can imagine the Victory flogs burning down etihad if we roll them, not even joking lol.

#wewasrobbed #ffaconspiracy #muscatisasaintnowhe'sfoundgod

Premiers get 1 spot, runners up in the regular season get the half spot, and the champions get the other spot. If the champions are 1st or 2nd the half spot will go to the third placed team during the regular season. So no, we wouldn't get it. The only way we're playing in the ACL is if we win the whole thing.

50246-soooo-youre-telling-me-theres-P7Ga

• Like 3

As the club has never made a semi-final before, I pretty much see every remaining moment of football that Melbourne City plays as pure upside.

I'm nothing but excited for Friday's semi-final derby. Just getting to see the team play one more game live, as well as getting a real chance to knock victory out of the do-or-die finals, I see as pure positive and a reward.

Scrapping to beat Brisbane to get into the finals, then scrapping to finish 5th, then playing Wellington in the first finals match away all made me a lot more nervous than this match on Friday.

And to just qualify for the Grand Final, which would also mean knocking victory out in the finals (which would be their 3rd semi-finals exit in a row), would be a really really awesome positive. As I didn't seriously expect City to make the Grand Final this season I wouldn't care what happens in the Grand Final either, as it would simply be a pretty good foundation to build on for next season.  

So I recommend just enjoying the ride this Friday, and whatever will be will be (and for the pessimists, if things go significantly pear-shaped on Friday I'm sure CFG will work hard and quite possibly do a significant rebuild of the team for next season. So even the least preferred outcome would likely lead to change and then positives). 

Its like i have a mind double. I am of the exact same opinion mate.

I've told Victory mates that i'm not nervous about this game at all and they are all calling bullshit. I was a fuckin nervous wreck at the Imp on Sunday though, but not feeling it at all this week. More feeling sick in the stomach this whole week, but thats only cause i'm fuckin itching for kick off.

I just dont feel the pressure of winning this game. Its a bonus and a big one at that. All i ask is that the boys have a go and fight for everything. They do that and still come short, i'll walk out of that stadium fuckin proud of them win or lose.

I will say though, if we win.....

Ill be there on GF Day and will consume more alcohol than Sydney or Adelaide combined

• Like 1

If we are going to take advantage of our aerial advantage, Williams needs to be dropped for Mate (if he is fit enough). I am not a massive fan of either of them but I’d prefer Mate's shit crosses over Willo's kicking it into Row Z.

only positive Williams can bring to this game is Yaya style shots, that take out tards in the crowd.

Edited by R410
  • Like 1

Boys I am deadset serious when I say I am expecting to win.

My score tip is 0-2 - Kennedy & Paartalu.

I think they will choke under the pressure & have no answer to us in the air.

This is a very big factor in City's factor that I'm pretty confident will at very least make the match competitive, if not tip the match in our favour.

City have scored 3 headed goals against victory this season, with even pretty unlikely goalscorers (Wielaert, Hoffman) heading goals against victory.

So I can see Kennedy causing victory's defenders all sorts of bother on Friday. Even in his 20 or so minute cameo in the last derby, where City was deflated and had pretty much stopped playing, Kennedy almost scored, with victory's defenders looking uncomfortable defending him.

With the likes of Mooy, Koren and Germano providing the service, and Kennedy, Paartalu and Kisnorbo being the tall timber getting on the end of things, I can see City's attack being pretty effective against victory.

IMO for City the game will be won or lost by City's defending. If the team can keep up the admirable defending it's done over the second half of the season, then I fully believe City will knock out victory. All the team has to do is replicate the December 1-0 derby win, which was built upon impressive team defending, and I'm confident that especially with City's aerial threat that scoring won't be a problem. 

I think the fact that we had someone at lb who can run the lines and put quality crosses into the box was a big factor as to why Kennedy looked more dangerous against Wellington.

Think Germano is becoming one of our most important players atm

• Like 1

Ill be there on GF Day and will consume more alcohol than Sydney or Adelaide combined

This is something I'm rather curious about. If we are lucky enough to beat Victory. What sort of numbers will travel for a GF. Would suspect around 1000 seeing that either Adelaide or Sydney are the two most accessible away matches.

I have said this elsewhere but I feel like a Carlton fan going into the 1999 Preliminary Final... if we can just stop MV from winning the Title then everything else that comes will be a bonus TBH.

Not that I wont be a nervous wreck on Grand Final day if we did make it.

• Like 2

Ill be there on GF Day and will consume more alcohol than Sydney or Adelaide combined

This is something I'm rather curious about. If we are lucky enough to beat Victory. What sort of numbers will travel for a GF. Would suspect around 1000 seeing that either Adelaide or Sydney are the two most accessible away matches. Yeh I'd be surprised if we didn't get 1,000 to the gf if we happen to win.

I'd prefer a Sydney final fwiw not sure why.

I have said this elsewhere but I feel like a Carlton fan going into the 1999 Preliminary Final... if we can just stop MV from winning the Title then everything else that comes will be a bonus TBH.

Not that I wont be a nervous wreck on Grand Final day if we did make it.

Nice analogy.

Got another one. the original Rocky movie.

Out of nowhere Balboa gets a title shot and determines that he is going to have a red hot shot at it.

Pre-season I thought we'd finish 7th, so I'm well and truly in bonus land.

This is something I'm rather curious about. If we are lucky enough to beat Victory. What sort of numbers will travel for a GF. Would suspect around 1000 seeing that either Adelaide or Sydney are the two most accessible away matches. Yeh I'd be surprised if we didn't get 1,000 to the gf if we happen to win.

I'd prefer a Sydney final fwiw not sure why.

Ill be going with a few mates that's for sure.

This is something I'm rather curious about. If we are lucky enough to beat Victory. What sort of numbers will travel for a GF. Would suspect around 1000 seeing that either Adelaide or Sydney are the two most accessible away matches.

The wife and i will be there 150%.

Mate i booked annual leave over 6 weeks ago, starting from the Monday after the GF just in case Jesus does in fact make miracles happen.

Came here to post the same thing, these guys are genuinely worried. 

"Let them know where they are, let them know they do not belong"

I normally refuse to go and suss out there forum because it doesnt take me long before i flip my shit when it comes to Victard supporters, but seeing this one just shows me that they clearly have issues.

And that he is clearly a pussy