Melbourne Football

Finals Derby

Tesla

Aside from the woeful finishing the only thing I was pissed off about tonight was the injured players failing to go to the sidelines to cheer the boys on. Wtf?

mooy on crutches and novillo not even able to walk off the ground...

williams in the room with his girlfriend/wife whatever with phone in hand while game was on wasn't a good look though

• Like 1

Jaliens was pretty average last night and should not have started ahead of Retre who was in the best form of his career.

He made a couple of very good interceptions but his lack of pace and positioning cost us big time, if he had to start then he should have started in favour of Chapman who also didn't do much.

• Like 1

Jaliens made FBK into Mr Invisible tonight and was my MOTM for us

I'm guessing you didn't see Barbarouses' goal?

Matters shit now anyway, but i thought that second goal started from Mooy.

He dived into a tackle in the midfield that he didn't need to. Opened up a huge hole behind him where they played through to get the cross in.

Well I'd thought I'd post before reading everyone else to "not be influenced". That was a game that general play wise we easily could have won, but instead we lost the key moments. goal 1 - who would have thought Berisha would be a goal threat & would require marking in the 6 yard box?

Goal 2 - school boy defending and I'll leave it at that.

At the other end Kennedy and Kisnorbo miss gilt edge changes.

The time honoured cliche "you have to take your chances"

Ps if we had of pulled off a comeback I don't know how we'd have fielded a team next week.

Edited by Shahanga

Considering our injuries on the night 0:2 would have been in my opinion somewhat a reasonably respectable score.

Letting that human haemorrhoid score the third goal felt like being spat in the face.

Typical City performance really. We can't finish our many shots on goal, and the opposition go down the other end and show us how to do it (aided by some poor defending on our part) 

Etihad is just an atrocious stadium. 

When David Williams went down, this old bloke (who was with his wife and kids) called Willo a cunt and told him to stop faking it. Following David's eventual substitution, I turned around and said 'but I  thought he was faking it?'. He then proceeded to call me a fuckwit (among other things) in front of his family , despite the fact that it pretty was clear that I was the same age as his kids. I wasn't really affected by this event, but I just thought it was a mildly amusing insight into the level of ignorance and intelligence displayed by some (or most?) Victory fans. Just can't stand people who can unnecessarily dish it out to players, but can't cop it on the chin when they are wrong or when someone has a different opinion to them. Although it's the sort of one-eyed shit that I've come to expect from Victory supporters.

Best part of the night was the almost instantaneous boos that followed my applause for Mooy whenever he came to take a corner. I swear there was dead silence until I started clapping. Also seeing Paddy thrown up forward reminded me a bit of the JA days, which was also made me laugh a bit.

Anyway, an alright season I suppose? Just need to clear some deadwood and sort out what the hell is happening with the 2 marquee spots and we are looking good for next season! 

• Like 1

How the media saw the match; a pretty good write up:

What we learned from Melbourne Victory 3-0 Melbourne City: Stricken City succumb to sucker punch

By Iain Strachan at Etihad Stadium

08/05/2015

The Premiers' Plate winners demonstrated their superior class to reach the Grand Final at the expense of a wayward and luckless Melbourne City

Victory's class tells for the opener

It was an understandably nervous start from both sets of players to what had been billed as the biggest match in A-League history. A high-tempo opening to the game, one in which each team sought to impose themselves on the contest, led to a litany of misplaced passes and over-hit balls. 

In amongst all the huffing and puffing and hurly burly - and befitting their status as Premiers' Plate winners - Victory's three most convincing moves of the game all came in the opening 30 minutes. On each occasion, they cut the City defence apart. 

The first saw Fahid Ben Khalfallah combine with Guilherme Finkler to play in Besart Berisha, only for the Albanian to be incorrectly flagged offside.

The assistant referee couldn't save John van 't Schip's men a second time though as Victory crafted a superb team goal. Centre-back Matthieu Delpierre picked out Kosta Barbarouses with a raking long diagonal and the New Zealand international fed Leigh Broxham, overlapping at speed and unmarked down the right. Besart Berisha, completely free in the middle of the penalty area, met the fullback's chipped cross to score the type of big-game goal you pay international marquee wages for. 

Rallying City succumb to sucker punch

City deserve credit for not wilting after going behind. The blow of conceding first prompted the underdogs to enjoy their best period of the first half, threatening the goal of Lawrence Thomas on several occasions, notably through David Williams and Aaron Mooy.

You could go so far as to say the men in white and sky blue had the title favourites on the ropes, but it proved to be illusory. Emboldened by their apparent attacking prowess, City left a gaping hole in midfield for a counter-attacking Finkler to gallop into.

The Brazilian spread the play wide to Ben Khalfallah, who cleverly cut the ball back to Kosta Barbarouses. Cue one of the best goals you're ever likely to see in an A-League final, as the Kiwi, with the ball seemingly already behind him, somehow climbed high to dispatch an unstoppable volley into the top-right corner of Tando Velaphi's net. Extraordinary. 

WHAT THEY SAID

“We’ve been working extremely hard for a long time to be in these big games. Ultimately this is where we wanted to be when we set all our goals in July last year and we’re one game away now.” – Melbourne Victory captain Mark Milligan.

“It’s a pretty disappointing end to the season for us. I thought we tried our best tonight, we definitely put a shift in we just didn’t have that killer blow. Victory had the quality when it counted and they made us pay.” – Melbourne City midfielder Eric Paartalu.

Steely determination trumps freedom of expression

In the build-up to his game it was strictly business as usual for Melbourne Victory. Having come this far, they had no intention of failing now. City meanwhile talked about how much pressure was on the team that finished first in the regular season and how in contrast they, having defied expectations to reach this stage, would play without fear.

And that's exactly how the clash unfolded at a packed Eithad Stadium. Rather than sitting back and soaking up the pressure as they did against Wellington Phoenix a week earlier, City - particularly after going behind – went for it. And they had enough chances to win the game twice over. David Williams, Aaron Mooy, Harry Novillo, Jonatan Germano and Patrick Kisnorbo all should have scored, in some cases more than once each. 

Victory meanwhile, the A-League's top scorers in 2014-15, mustered barely four clear-cut opportunities throughout but, with ice in their veins, took three of them with aplomb. A week out from the Grand Final, such ruthless efficiency has a whiff of destiny about it. 

Injury curse ends City hopes

As if missing chance after chance wasn't doing enough damage to their hopes of mounting a comeback, Van 't Schip's luckless team lost a barely credible three players to injury in the space of 20 minutes either side of half-time. 

David Williams limped off as early as the 39th minute after appearing to badly roll or hyperextend his ankle joint and Achilles. Aaron Mooy went off with what was later reported to be a knee problem six minutes into the second half. He was followed by chief attacking threat Harry Novillo in the 59th minute. 

The irony is, two costly defensive lapses and poor finishing aside, City can proud of their performance in this match. Fearlessly taking the game to the Premiers, they had fired off twice as many shots as Victory with 20 minutes still remaining. The glib sentiment will be of no consolation to those of a white and sky blue persuasion, but sometimes it just isn't meant to be. For City, this was just one of those nights. 

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2015/05/08/11529912/what-we-learned-from-melbourne-victory-3-0-melbourne-city?ICID=AR_RS_1

Anyway, an alright season I suppose? Just need to clear some deadwood and sort out what the hell is happening with the 2 marquee spots and we are looking good for next season! 

Apart from the wellington away win it's been average - disappointing 

only lost twice at home but drew a lot, still shit away

mooy as leading scorer shows our forwards are useless

villa, koren and kennedy disasters

members not turning up

went into the game not expecting much given the team's history at the ground and (sadly) the visitors being the team to take out the league in what mostly was a comfortable manner.

after it i actually feel disappointed that we didnt take more out of the game.  plenty of opportunities, just didnt take any.  on the other hand, the visitors did so can't really complain (other than it being to the team from Geelong).

first goal was fucking lazy.  thought there were three players at fault; Novillo for not tracking (on the replay he have up after 10 yards in terms of tracking Broxham), Paartalu for not tracking / staying goalside of Finkler in the box, and Chapman leaving an open Berisha 6 yards out to close down Finkler when the crosser (Broxham) would play Berisha 9 times out of 10.

second goal was a good finish, and Barbaroses should be praised for the strike.  much to rass' point below, i thought Mooy was a little slack in his tracking through.  Germano was never gonna come inside after his direct man since Berisha had drifted wide.  given how deep Barbaroses started his run, Mooy got caught standing on his heels and left much for others to do.

that said, Mooy's done so much this season good he deserves some credit so .....

plus it doesnt help having all three subs used within the first 60 minutes for injuries.

given some of the lows this season, i kinda find it ironic that a loss to the visitors like that is somewhat fitting.  shits me to tears, but fitting.  any number of opportunities not taken and then coming back to haunt us.  plus a number of injuries that means whatever good went into the season, there is no real way the team could plan / put it together for the full 90 

Jaliens made FBK into Mr Invisible tonight and was my MOTM for us

I'm guessing you didn't see Barbarouses' goal?
Matters shit now anyway, but i thought that second goal started from Mooy.
He dived into a tackle in the midfield that he didn't need to. Opened up a huge hole behind him where they played through to get the cross in.

agreed.  as per above, seemed to also think he had done enough too and then failed to track properly.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

A-League finals: Erik Paartalu slams Melbourne City’s lack of structure throughout the season

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

MAY 09, 2015

MELBOURNE City’s lack of structure and constant tinkering led to their downfall, according to midfielder Erik Paartalu.

City’s 3-0 semi-final loss to Melbourne Victory on Friday night ended an underwhelming campaign, even though John van’t Schip’s side finished one game short of the grand final.

The loss was compounded with injuries to star trio Aaron Mooy (knee), Harry Novillo (torn hamstring) and David Williams (sprained ankle), with Mooy now set to be in doubt for the Socceroos’ June World Cup qualifier away to Kyrgyzstan.

Like previous years, City played a 4-3-3 for most of the season before trying a 4-4-2 formation in the last two rounds, that ended in comprehensive defeats to Perth Glory and Adelaide United.

City then used the 4-2-3-1 formation in the finals, dropping star midfielder Aaron Mooy into a deeper-lying midfield role.

“It comes down to two things — structure and confidence, the key one there for me is structure,’’ Paartalu said.

“Whether it was injuries or the amount of changes, we haven’t had a solid structure. We’ve changed our formation quite a lot to suit other teams, I just think we need to be more positive to take the game to other teams.

“If we went a goal behind, we felt like ‘what are we going to do now’? We panicked. We relied on individuals to win us games and that doesn’t win you titles.

“At Brisbane, when we were 1-0 or 2-0 behind we knew we had a structure to fall back on and we didn’t worry or panic and we got ourselves back in the game.

“I don’t think we had that belief (on Friday). The difference between a good team and an average team is having structure and that’s something we’ll have to work on.

“We’ve got to build it in the pre-season and stick with it, that gives you confidence.’’

Injured trio Williams, Mooy and Novillo all had chances to equalise in a six-minute spell before Kosta Barbarouses’ 30th minute goal put Victory 2-0 up.

“If we take a couple of chances early on we put teams under pressure,’’ Paartalu said.

“If we don’t score our chances and other team scores, it’s a sucker punch and we haven’t had a good response throughout the season.

“Maybe it’s about controlling games more, putting pressure on at certain times, maybe not committing too early.

“We had those inconsistencies and never really gave ourselves an honest chance. It’s frustrating and a pretty disappointing end to the season.

“We’ve taken a big step forward as a club but as a whole we’re disappointed.

“It was a one off, great occasion, everyone was excited, but we let ourselves down at key moments and Victory with their quality up front they punished us.’’

City’s injured trio had scans on Saturday afternoon to determine the extent of their injuries.

Frenchman Novillo in particular looked dangerous cutting in from the left, but was carried off early in the second half, just after Mooy’s knee buckled while jogging.

Williams came off just before half-time after hyperextending his leg late and was on crutches after the match.                

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league-finals-erik-paartalu-slams-melbourne-citys-lack-of-structure-throughout-the-season/story-fni2wcjl-1227348668104

Paartalu was pretty well known for being real outspoken when he was at Brisbane Roar as well: http://theroarforum.com/index.php?topic=5905.0

From the article linked above, here's some quotes from Paartalu following a loss by his Brisbane Roar team in 2012:

The defending wasn't great for the last goal but in times like this we all need to stick together. So I think everyone needs to remember that, coach, manager, staff included.

Blaming people, making accusations and negative comments isn't going to get anybody anywhere. We need to try and take the positives out of the game from the weekend and move forward as one.

If you look at my stats I'm probably one of the best midfielders in the country, playing in the best club for two years, winning two titles with Brisbane,  everything was pointing in the right direction.

I questioned everything for those couple of days, did a lot of soul-searching but if I look at all my stats there's not a lot more I can do.

I actually find it pretty refreshing when players are outspoken and have their own opinions, and Paartalu is seemingly a player who has his own opinions and will regularly let them be known.

But of course there's being constructively outspoken and there's being confrontational and destructive. Paartalu is a bit on the edge with his statements, but I don't think he's said anything serious. A bit of open discussion is actually ideal leading into next season IMO.  

“If we went a goal behind, we felt like ‘what are we going to do now’? We panicked. We relied on individuals to win us games and that doesn’t win you titles.

“At Brisbane, when we were 1-0 or 2-0 behind we knew we had a structure to fall back on and we didn’t worry or panic and we got ourselves back in the game.

“I don’t think we had that belief (on Friday). The difference between a good team and an average team is having structure and that’s something we’ll have to work on.

“We’ve got to build it in the pre-season and stick with it, that gives you confidence.’’

Pretty much damning of JVS. Players don't have confidence in JVS and this pretty much backs that point of view.

Koren openly criticizing him a few weeks back too makes me really wonder what the hell is going on behind closed doors.

But regardless of what happens, it really does sound like this season has been the giant kick up the arse that this club has needed for so long. I dont imagine the FFA cup will be referred to as a "preseason hit-out" this time around. I am actually getting excited for next season.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

Paartalu was pretty well known for being real outspoken when he was at Brisbane Roar as well: http://theroarforum.com/index.php?topic=5905.0

From the article linked above, here's some quotes from Paartalu following a loss by his Brisbane Roar team in 2012:

The defending wasn't great for the last goal but in times like this we all need to stick together. So I think everyone needs to remember that, coach, manager, staff included.

Blaming people, making accusations and negative comments isn't going to get anybody anywhere. We need to try and take the positives out of the game from the weekend and move forward as one.

If you look at my stats I'm probably one of the best midfielders in the country, playing in the best club for two years, winning two titles with Brisbane,  everything was pointing in the right direction.

I questioned everything for those couple of days, did a lot of soul-searching but if I look at all my stats there's not a lot more I can do.

I actually find it pretty refreshing when players are outspoken and have their own opinions, and Paartalu is seemingly a player who has his own opinions and will regularly let them be known.

But of course there's being constructively outspoken and there's being confrontational and destructive. Paartalu is a bit on the edge with his statements, but I don't think he's said anything serious. A bit of open discussion is actually ideal leading into next season IMO.  

Players have started to speak up at the end of the season, presumably with an eye to the next one. Hopefully it has a good effect.

One thing that I take heart from Muscat's comments is that his team has been building for a long time. It began under AP and then continued under Muscat. Comparing last season and this season the following players have been together for a while:

Archie Thompson, Gui Finkler, Nick Ansell, Mark Milligan, Leigh Broxham, Barbarouses, Connor Pain, Andrew Nabbout, Rashid Mahazi, Marakounas, Geria, Jordan Brown, Nathan Coe, Lawrence Thomas,

This season MV brought in Berisha, FBK, Daniel Georgievski, and Matthew Delpierre. That is four quality visa signings that strengthen their attack (Berisha), defense (DG, MD) and an attacking winger (FBK). Coincidentally, these are the same positions that are desperately needing improvement at City. So hopefully our scouting network will bring quality players to these positions. So a more settled line up for next season and a good solid pre-season should see City play finals again next year. 

the story of Heart /City for the past 5 seasons

pressure, attempts on goals, not taken, defensive lapses, goals conceded

it's been the same for 5 years, the one thread through most of that period ?????

JVS...

It must be time to say goodbye

it's been the same for 5 years, the one thread through most of that period ?????

JVS...

And thanks for the fish.

Portaloo summed it up nicely. Under Ange, Brisvegas players knew what their roles were and they played to a system - come hell or high water. Players coming in simply slotted into the system. This generated confidence. Even ordinary players start to look good when all players know what to do and have confidence in their team mates.

Under JVS is been fcuken all over the shop. That's why are results have been so inconistent. Then players lose confidence and the result is up and down performances and players who started off looking OK turning to shit. This is the problem and JVS staying won't fix it IMHO. Unless of course undergoes a massive change of mindset. Who knows.

• Like 1

JVS...

And thanks for the fish.

Portaloo summed it up nicely. Under Ange, Brisvegas players knew what their roles were and they played to a system - come hell or high water. Players coming in simply slotted into the system. This generated confidence. Even ordinary players start to look good when all players know what to do and have confidence in their team mates.

Under JVS is been fcuken all over the shop. That's why are results have been so inconistent. Then players lose confidence and the result is up and down performances and players who started off looking OK turning to shit. This is the problem and JVS staying won't fix it IMHO. Unless of course undergoes a massive change of mindset. Who knows.

I thought that was an amazing article. Paartalu is basically directly condemning the coaching of the team

So at the conclusion of the 2014/15 season where Melbourne Heart started the season with new owners, new name, new logo and new colours, but ended up producing the same old heartless performances.

Edited by MCMLIII

Paartalu is "condemning"/criticising the team for changing its structure (formation and tactics) throughout the season. He says a team playing consistently in the same structure leads to confidence, and confidence leads to good performances and results.

It begs the question: why hasn't the team played with the same structure throughout the season, beginning in pre-season? JVS says the reason is injuries:

"Today summed up what happened during the year, with the three injuries that we had to replace," he told the press after the game.

"I think that's the story of the season, the amount of changes we had to the team. If you look at Sydney, Victory and Adelaide they can put on the same eight or nine players from the start of the season.

"During the season you have to deal with injuries, but that was a big problem for us. And not soft tissue injuries either, injuries that put players out for weeks or months.

"We had to get other players in from abroad and from other clubs. We managed to get through the season but the gelling of the team that we worked on in pre-season got disrupted."

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/van-t-schip-rues-missed-chances/7me29uqxwjnp1mp1wf5fxw93g

And if you actually read the start of the Paartalu article, Paartalu also proposes the same, that injuries could be the reason behind the team changing its structure throughout the season, and then as stated the structure --> confidence --> results chain is disrupted:

Whether it was injuries or the amount of changes, we haven’t had a solid structure. We’ve changed our formation quite a lot to suit other teams, I just think we need to be more positive to take the game to other teams.

So there actually isn't any actual contradiction between what JVS is saying and what Paartalu is saying.

However Paartalu does go further and clearly say that Melbourne City changing its structure has effected the team's performances and lead to less then excellent results. Although I believe JVS would agree with that, which is why he's highlighted the injuries and disruption to the team throughout the season on multiple occasions.

And Paartalu does imply that things should change so that the team can always play with the same structure. And again, it's very likely that JVS would agree with that.

To make changes so that the team can always play with the same structure gets back to solving the injury crisis, in JVS' view. The team needs at least 14 reliable players out of the 23-man squad it can draw upon throughout the season, and then the team can play consistently (with the same structure) and make the team improve by multiple levels next season:

It is now up to Van't Schip to assess how to improve his side further before 2015/2016.

No team improved its finishing position more than City during the year, coming from 10th last season to a final four finish this campaign.

Van 't Schip said he would work with a base of 14 or 15 players, carefully plotting his recruitment.

"We have to now start looking at the squad, we will talk this week about how we want to change things," he said.

"That's now the next step.

"We haven't told anybody yet, behind the scenes we're working on those things.

"There is improvement clearly, but we want to make more steps ... we'll bounce back next year."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2015/05/09/vant-schip-bemoans-melbourne-citys-injuries-and-missed-chances

Overall Paartalu and JVS are on the same page, they are just emphasising different things. JVS says the squad needs to change, to overcome injuries to get consistent to improve by multiple levels next season.

Watching the full match replay on youtube. We really did sound great. Very loud.

I just had a look but couldn't find it. Could you please post the link?

Thanks

Peter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlHy5jwUroI

Thank you. Poor result. Great atmosphere. Light blue still doesn't sit well. Bring back the red and white!

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1