Melbourne Football

Finals Derby

Tesla

We're shit but we always lift for derbies. 

3-0 Shitty.

Novillo, Paartalu, Mooy

Personally tired of this mantra that we lift for derbies. Not a go at you strider more so other people including the media. 5-2 and 3-0 this season against them. Yep we've saved our best against them alright.

We gave away some cheap goals in those games because our defence was shit.

The defence has improved since then.

Having said that one characteristic of JVS teams is that defenders do some comically-bad things they never did playing for anyone else so anything can happen.

Personally, their weeks break and our short week will take its toll at the 65 minute mark onwards.  It will be at this point that JVS subs on Ramsay, Hoffman and Murdocca.  A masterstroke of a move if ever there was one sees us win 2-0. (Ramsay 87" 93")

I think you may have missed my point, but anyway...

Can I just say, win or lose I am far more proud to be a City supporter than following the Victory. After having a quick look over their forum, all they do is complain about how the ffa has mucked them around, or how the north end won't be as good any more or how they have more fans than us. One in particular said this game will muck them around more than an away derby

1. Every other club in the league against us gets put in the corner meanwhile we give them a whole end with more active support area than ourselves

2. An away derby for us means we always get put in the corner!

I see this as finally some justice for us rather than for them! 

But anyway, I hardly see any of us complaining about that. We're just happy to show up and support our club, meanwhile the tards are complaining because their precious north terrace cant sit where they want.

Not only this but another fan said that they found it a positive that the fans will be split end to end because it will show how much "better their support is than ours"

This leads me to say that I am so proud to be a city fan because i know our supporters genuinely want to see our boys do well, unlike the tards who would rather display how "fantastic" and "loud" their supporters are, and sure, I wont deny, they may have greater numbers and louder chants but who cares. Yarraside and now Melburnians have always cared more about the club than what we look like as a spectacle and I know this because we've dealt with some of the most important things being taken away from us, our colours, our name, our badge. Yet we still show up despite our mediocre results.

I love this club and I love our fans.

Game on thie Friday I'll see you all at the game

:clap:  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

We're shit but we always lift for derbies. 

3-0 Shitty.

Novillo, Paartalu, Mooy

Personally tired of this mantra that we lift for derbies. Not a go at you strider more so other people including the media. 5-2 and 3-0 this season against them. Yep we've saved our best against them alright.

Well we're always shit. Just slightly less shit in the derbies IMO.

The only seats remaining on level 1 are the ones down our end behind the goals. Pretty much a couple of bays of free seats

surely we can get these filled with our supporters!

Well if you're in my boat, you would be placed near the victory active area as l have been. I'm definitely not the only one this has happened to. Go on gumtree and ebay, its mainly City supporters trying to sell off their shitty allocated tickets so they can buy tickets close to City bays. I tried to exchange my tickets but was unsuccessful. Only option for me is sit next to those mongols or sneak into a City bay with my dad. Edited by Tony999

Courage, commitment needed against Victory: City's Josh Kennedy

May 6, 2015 

Michael Lynch

Embarrassment at their previous poor performances was the key to Melbourne City's form turnaround in Wellington at the weekend, which saw them see of favourites Phoenix and set up a blockbuster A-League semi-final with Melbourne Victory on Friday night.

Former Socceroo striker Josh Kennedy, who scored the opening goal to set John van 't Schip's side on the way to its 2-0 elimination final triumph in New Zealand, said the players felt guilty about the way they performed in their two previous games, a 3-1 away loss to Perth Glory and a 4-1 defeat in Adelaide.

"The weeks previous to the Wellington game were very poor. Al the boys knew that," Kennedy said before a Wednesday training session at the club's City Football Academy close to Latrobe University's campus.

"In the week prior to that game in New Zealand there was probably a change in our attitude. I think it came down to what we knew would be needed to win."

And the catalyst for this realisation?

"Probably our embarrassing form in the weeks before. It was a great achievement to get to the finals on our own merit, but we let ourselves down in those couple of weeks prior in Perth and Adelaide and we knew that's not us. Those couple of games were a slap in the face and a bit of a wake up call."

Fans will doubtless be asking why, if the City players can get themselves up for an elimination final, they can't do so week in and week out.

Kennedy, who joined the club mid-season and first played for them in February after several years in Japan, was at a loss to offer an explanation as to how they can find form one day and lose it another.

"I wish it was easy to turn it on and off. One of our biggest problems this year has been consistency. It's got to improve if we want to be top of the A-League."

The tall striker has little experience with finals soccer, having never played in the A-League before joining City. He played in knockout games as a youngster when part of the Carlton youth team set up in the old NSL, but he left to go to Germany and never played a finals game for the seniors.

"The only semi-final I have played is in the Asian Champions League one year with Nagoya (2009). We got smacked by a Saudi Arabian team. But I haven't played any here in Australia." (Nagoya lost 8-3 on aggregate that year to Al Ittihad, who went on to lose the final to Korean side Pohang Steelers.)

Kennedy says the fact that Victory finished 18 points clear of City on the league table at season's end makes no difference at all to the outcome of Friday's match.

"Their results for the year show they are a class team and they deserved to finish on top of the table. As far as depth goes they are probably the best team and best squad in the league and they have been consistent.

"There is a reason why they are number one and its a great reason why we need to knock them off. In any sport its always a great opportunity to play the number one in the league. Two Melbourne teams, it's probably a shame it's not a grand final.

"Its going to come down to our mentality on the night ... we need to show more courage and play as a team. If we dig deep as a unit and operate together that's where we will get them."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/courage-commitment-needed-against-victory-citys-josh-kennedy-20150506-ggv8q1.html

Must be exciting to be in Melbourne. Four years of supporting Heart not a single home town final. Move to Sydney and Bamn. Hopefully next week will be a Sydney final...

All sky blue final in Sydney .. Wow

Never wanted to beat an opposition team so bad. Every single article or FB status you see their scum supporters having a fucking sook over how the FFA is trying to screw them over by not giving them their South End and how we shouldn't be in the finals, hearing their fear from a mile away. Biggest fucking whingers in the country! Nothing would give me greater pleasure then seeing these panzies fucking off home in tears. 

• Like 2

Never wanted to beat an opposition team so bad. Every single article or FB status you see their scum supporters having a fucking sook over how the FFA is trying to screw them over by not giving them their South End and how we shouldn't be in the finals, hearing their fear from a mile away. Biggest fucking whingers in the country! Nothing would give me greater pleasure then seeing these panzies fucking off home in tears. 

I was talking to a MV fan today who said the same thing.

He said "You dont deserve to be in the finals, as you lost more games than you won". Seriously lame.

Tbh they're right we don't deserve to be there. We've been average all year yet here we are, one win away from the grand final and all the pressure is on them!! I'm loving the fact that they're making excuses already and acting all cocky. They're the ones with something to lose not us. Sure we had a shit season but in this league it comes down to finals. We made the most of our opportunities last week and look where thats put us. So let them bitch and moan about us its just going to make the win a whole lot sweeter!!!

Go the heart

• Like 1

Tbh they're right we don't deserve to be there. We've been average all year yet here we are, one win away from the grand final and all the pressure is on them!! I'm loving the fact that they're making excuses already and acting all cocky. They're the ones with something to lose not us. Sure we had a shit season but in this league it comes down to finals. We made the most of our opportunities last week and look where thats put us. So let them bitch and moan about us its just going to make the win a whole lot sweeter!!!

Go the heart

Exactly how I feel, there's no anxiety this week given that we have nothing to lose. 

The finals system is admittedly a joke, but beating Victory and making the grand final would be an absolute dream! Wouldn't even care what happens the following week tbh ahaha

As the club has never made a semi-final before, I pretty much see every remaining moment of football that Melbourne City plays as pure upside.

I'm nothing but excited for Friday's semi-final derby. Just getting to see the team play one more game live, as well as getting a real chance to knock victory out of the do-or-die finals, I see as pure positive and a reward.

Scrapping to beat Brisbane to get into the finals, then scrapping to finish 5th, then playing Wellington in the first finals match away all made me a lot more nervous than this match on Friday.

And to just qualify for the Grand Final, which would also mean knocking victory out in the finals (which would be their 3rd semi-finals exit in a row), would be a really really awesome positive. As I didn't seriously expect City to make the Grand Final this season I wouldn't care what happens in the Grand Final either, as it would simply be a pretty good foundation to build on for next season.  

So I recommend just enjoying the ride this Friday, and whatever will be will be (and for the pessimists, if things go significantly pear-shaped on Friday I'm sure CFG will work hard and quite possibly do a significant rebuild of the team for next season. So even the least preferred outcome would likely lead to change and then positives). 

• Like 4

Really wish we had Melling for this game. Every team needs a cunt out there and our cunts injured :(. Could Paatalu fill in the cunt role for the game?

Novillo does a pretty good job at that, albeit in a different sort of way.

Can't wait to king hit and kill some 15 year old victory fans post match. Go Hearts

You have been greatly missed, I am thankful the football gods have brought you back to grace this forum once again. God save our Gracious Marteaux.
  • Like 1

Boys I am deadset serious when I say I am expecting to win.

My score tip is 0-2 - Kennedy & Paartalu.

I think they will choke under the pressure & have no answer to us in the air.

This is a very big factor in City's factor that I'm pretty confident will at very least make the match competitive, if not tip the match in our favour.

City have scored 3 headed goals against victory this season, with even pretty unlikely goalscorers (Wielaert, Hoffman) heading goals against victory.

So I can see Kennedy causing victory's defenders all sorts of bother on Friday. Even in his 20 or so minute cameo in the last derby, where City was deflated and had pretty much stopped playing, Kennedy almost scored, with victory's defenders looking uncomfortable defending him.

With the likes of Mooy, Koren and Germano providing the service, and Kennedy, Paartalu and Kisnorbo being the tall timber getting on the end of things, I can see City's attack being pretty effective against victory.

IMO for City the game will be won or lost by City's defending. If the team can keep up the admirable defending it's done over the second half of the season, then I fully believe City will knock out victory. All the team has to do is replicate the December 1-0 derby win, which was built upon impressive team defending, and I'm confident that especially with City's aerial threat that scoring won't be a problem. 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

Boys I am deadset serious when I say I am expecting to win.

My score tip is 0-2 - Kennedy & Paartalu.

I think they will choke under the pressure & have no answer to us in the air.

This is a very big factor in City's factor that I'm pretty confident will at very least make the match competitive, if not tip the match in our favour.

City have scored 3 headed goals against victory this season, with even pretty unlikely goalscorers (Wielaert, Hoffman) heading goals against victory.

So I can see Kennedy causing victory's defenders all sorts of bother on Friday. Even in his 20 or so minute cameo in the last derby, where City was deflated and had pretty much stopped playing, Kennedy almost scored, with victory's defenders looking uncomfortable defending him.

With the likes of Mooy, Koren and Germano providing the service, and Kennedy, Paartalu and Kisnorbo being the tall timber getting on the end of things, I can see City's attack being pretty effective against victory.

IMO for City the game will be won or lost by City's defending. If the team can keep up the admirable defending it's done over the second half of the season, then I fully believe City will knock out victory. All the team has to do is replicate the December 1-0 derby win, which was built upon impressive team defending, and I'm confident that especially with City's aerial threat that scoring won't be a problem. 

I would play Mooy and Paartaluu as the two DM's.

Once again it will be down to if our fullbacks get skinned by Ben Falafel and Boobarousis.

• Like 1