Melbourne Football

Finals Derby

Tesla

It's bullshit if FFA are gonna make us play on the friday, players won't even get back in melbourne till late monday

Will add to the story if we win.

Backs against the wall. Minimal time to recover. Ranked underdog.

Next minute.  Germano 90th minute winner

Bang!

I got 4x tickets on the wing, non-active Melbourne City Supporter, City B, section L1, Row 14, G

attachicon.gifderbyseats.png

$50 each.

PM me 

Swap ya with my 2 tix L1 Aisle 8 which is next to the Victory active area then you can sell them to some fat kid supporting Victory that wants to be in da norf endz.

Hrmmmmmm...no.

But you can buy 2 of my 4 if you like.

Good point about Lawrence Thomas. Thomas has been victory's keeper twice in Melbourne Derbies, and Melbourne Heart/City have won both times.

The first win was a 2-1 win at Etihad, which is the only time the team has won at Etihad:

The second game, of course, was last season's majestic 4-0 win:

So Melbourne City has a 100% winning rate when Thomas is in goals for the Visitors.

We have a fantastic chance of winning because Victory with Thomas in goals have by far the worst starting eleven goal keeper in the A League.

There's many other points we could make comparing this Friday's game and the derbies at Etihad. Germano playing in his natural left back position instead of Clisby or Ramsey, Novillo on the left wing, our marquees stepping up, the fact that last derby the team literally never 'came' to the game mentally, depth in defence with Jaliens, Kisnorbo playing his best football in a city shirt, Tando Velaphi in goals. There's probably a host of other reasons why we are in a much better state to compete this Friday. Add to all that that its a final and I'm expecting our big time players to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Things that I think we have to do well is:

-get the right back and left back positions correct

-Kisnorbos ball distribution forward must lift as last time they forced him forward knowing that he doesn't have the best distribution

-Paartalu will have to step up this game to be the rock in front of the defence

-Mooy and Koren need to suffocate the midfield and take control of it

• Like 3

There's many other points we could make comparing this Friday's game and the derbies at Etihad. Germano playing in his natural left back position instead of Clisby or Ramsey, Novillo on the left wing, our marquees stepping up, the fact that last derby the team literally never 'came' to the game mentally, depth in defence with Jaliens, Kisnorbo playing his best football in a city shirt, Tando Velaphi in goals. There's probably a host of other reasons why we are in a much better state to compete this Friday. Add to all that that its a final and I'm expecting our big time players to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Things that I think we have to do well is:

-get the right back and left back positions correct

-Kisnorbos ball distribution forward must lift as last time they forced him forward knowing that he doesn't have the best distribution

-Paartalu will have to step up this game to be the rock in front of the defence

-Mooy and Koren need to suffocate the midfield and take control of it

This!!

This isnt the same team that played in that last derby. We were a rabble at the time with Safwan playing his first game as a DM from what i remember as a result of Paartalu missing as well.

We had no Paartalu, Germano, Jaliens, Novillo and Jesus played his very first game for us.

Think if we can be as solid defensively as we were in Wellington, than we're in it up to our necks

Some observations from our 3 previous meetings this season vs the filth:

•Velaphi has only featured in the xmas derby win at aami

•Hoffman has started all 3 games at right back

•Germano hasn't played one game against them

•We've had 3 different starting left backs (Ramsay, Gooch and Clisby)

•Kisnorbo, Mooy, Ramsay and Hoffman are the only players to have started in all 3 games

• Like 2

If you look at the 3 derbies this season, you see 3 very different City XIs, so it's an interesting question how much, if anything, can be gained by looking back at those matches:

1st Derby, 5-2 loss:

Redmayne

Hoffman  Wielaert  Kisnorbo  Ramsay

Paartalu

Murdocca     Mooy

Duff              Dugandzic            Villa

2nd Derby, 1-0 win:

Velaphi

Hoffman    Chapman     Kisnorbo      Garuccio

Paartalu

Melling       Mooy

Dugandzic             Williams           Ramsay

3rd Derby, 3-0 loss:   

Redmayne

Hoffman         Chapman    Kisnorbo       Clisby

Safuwan

Melling    Mooy

Duff               Koren          Ramsay

Predicted line up for Friday:

Velaphi

Retre/Jaliens      Chapman      Kisnorbo     Germano

Paartalu

Koren    Mooy

Williams    Kennedy    Novillo

The derbies really reflect City's injuries and squad upheaval over the season, and IMO City's lineup on Friday will be easily be the strongest team City have fielded in a derby this season. The team might be peaking at the right point in the season..

• Like 2

If you look at the 3 derbies this season, you see 3 very different City XIs, so it's an interesting question how much, if anything, can be gained by looking back at those matches:

1st Derby, 5-2 loss:

Redmayne

Paartalu

Murdocca     Mooy

2nd Derby, 1-0 win:

Velaphi

Paartalu

Melling       Mooy

3rd Derby, 3-0 loss:   

Redmayne

Safuwan

Melling    Mooy

Velaphi

Paartalu

Koren    Mooy

The derbies really reflect City's injuries and squad upheaval over the season, and IMO City's lineup on Friday will be easily be the strongest team City have fielded in a derby this season. The team might be peaking at the right point in the season..

The problem is last week our bench was three kids yet to prove themselves as A-League Players and Murdocca who has shown at least this Season the A-League is now beyond him and the game could go into extra time.

• Like 1

The mind games are working in our favour ... Victory are talking about past losses and not wanting to repeat history

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league-pain-of-past-semi-final-defeats-drives-melbourne-victory-players-says-leigh-broxham/story-e6frf423-1227334915150

I found it pathetic and laughable that they would have to resort to past losses for motivation.

I read that Barbarouses was using the 2009-10 loss to Sydney when he was at Wellington as motivation.

1st Derby, 5-2 loss:

Redmayne

Paartalu

Murdocca     Mooy

2nd Derby, 1-0 win:

Velaphi

Paartalu

Melling       Mooy

3rd Derby, 3-0 loss:   

Redmayne

Safuwan

Melling    Mooy

Velaphi

Paartalu

Koren    Mooy

The problem is last week our bench was three kids yet to prove themselves as A-League Players and Murdocca who has shown at least this Season the A-League is now beyond him and the game could go into extra time.

Duganzic might pull up for this game and maybe add Ramsay on the bench as well. I know that isnt all that much t brag about, but its better than having just kids.

I'd have Retre, Mate, Mauk and Murdocca on the bench. With Jaliens back, we can always shift him to CB if god forbid something happens to either Chapman or Patty K and chuck Retre at LB.

Problem lies at the fact that we dont have a plan B for Jesus off the bench. You'd almost have to go with playing Novillo or Williams as the striker and bring in either Mate or Ramsay off the bench

We might get a bigger crowd than Collingwood Vs Geelong at the G!

The real question is, which game will Cadete go to?

This has already been answered in the AFL Thread... The City Game.

TBH I would go to this game over anything bar a Geelong Prelim or Grand Final, a proper Old Firm Match (League, FA Cup Tie, League Cup Tie) that for some reason was being played in Australia or if I owned a horse that was racing in a Group One.

Dont get me wrong I would take a Geelong Flag over a City Title anyday... but this game is as much about the shared experience over a number of years with my mates around Australia as it is about the team and I dont have that kind of experience with supporting Geelong.

NOTE: Obv a Melbourne City Title means more to me these days than a Celtic one.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

all of level 2 sold out

there are still plenty of seats remaining in reserved C (on the bays each side of the city active area). Hopefully they can be all filled with city supporters

I think you'll see a lot more City supporters at this Etihad Derby then any other. For one, every Victory supporter will have to pay for there ticket. It's not just swiping there membership card. Secondly, City supporters realise this is the last time they'll see there side. There may be many Victory supporters that hold out to a potential home GF next week.

all of level 2 sold out

there are still plenty of seats remaining in reserved C (on the bays each side of the city active area). Hopefully they can be all filled with city supporters

I think you'll see a lot more City supporters at this Etihad Derby then any other. For one, every Victory supporter will have to pay for there ticket. It's not just swiping there membership card. Secondly, City supporters realise this is the last time they'll see there side. There may be many Victory supporters that hold out to a potential home GF next week.

I disagree on the Victory supporters holding out for a gf. Tickets arent rediculously expensive so that wouldnt stop them from going.

Plus why hold out for something they probably might miss out on :tooth:

Plus why hold out for something they WILL might miss out on :tooth:

FTFY buddy

Thanks for correcting me.

To be honest, i called it a few weeks ago that if we played the Victards, that we'd be in a Grand Final so going in confident.

Was more worried about the game last week and if anyone saw me at the Imp Sunday, i was one fuckin nervous wreck.

FTFY buddy

To be honest, i called it a few weeks ago that if we played the Victards, that we'd be in a Grand Final so going in confident.

Was more worried about the game last week and if anyone saw me at the Imp Sunday, i was one fuckin nervous wreck.

So was I but then i thought fuck it I'm gunna have fun tonight and get nervous about the tards later

FTFY buddy

So was I but then i thought fuck it I'm gunna have fun tonight and get nervous about the tards later

Im nervous but only at the fact we are so close to a GF and not cause we're playing this mob to get there.

IMO, if we play as solid as we did defensively against Wellington, we will frustrate them big time. We have nothing to lose here as no one expected us to be in any position to reach this point let alone a GF. Not to mention the very short turn around.