Melbourne Football

Take away food

Pigs 2

If anyone is in Goulburn and wants a ridiculously good curry, the Southern Star Inn is the place to go. Their fish curry is incredible and arguably better than anything I have had in Melbourne.

*edit- I have not been there in years so quality may have changed

Cafe called Piadina on gertrude st opposite the housing commish have the best roast pork rolls and chicken schnitzel rolls I've ever eaten. Better than the smith st bakery imo. They also make a quality coffee.

Been on Smith for a while rarely venture up Gertrude. Will give it crack.

Never knew how many of you guys are on Smith Street or venture out there...

22 years. Pretty much part time these days. Couple days a week.

Is that all?? lol

Bloody lifetime.

Yeah when you think about it. Get less for murder.

Just ate at Easy's in Collingwood, burger was pretty good but it was packed full of hipsters and trendy as fuck

All this is true but I'd like to give it a plug as the concept is cool and the burgers are good..... and also my mate owns it :up:

I will be going back there that's for sure. I think the building is partly owned by Melbourne hip hop royalty prowla

Can someone explain what the go is with vinegar at every fish & chips shop in Melbourne?

Do they water down the vinegar or is it just so infrequently used that it's been there forever and lose all it's flavour?

Can literally soak your chips in it and barely taste any vinegar.

• Like 1

Can someone explain what the go is with vinegar at every fish & chips shop in Melbourne?

Do they water down the vinegar or is it just so infrequently used that it's been there forever and lose all it's flavour?

Not sure because the only way to eat chips is with chicken salt and BBQ sauce 

• Like 1

My wife gets tomato sauce, soy sauce and vinegar on chips......fucking odd if you ask me

My wife gets tomato sauce, soy sauce and vinegar on chips......fucking odd if you ask me

Haha. Wtf?!

My wife gets tomato sauce, soy sauce and vinegar on chips......fucking odd if you ask me surely she swallows then.

no wonder she's your wife

• Like 1

Fucking New South Welshman!

• Like 1

Fucking New South Welshman!

Was waiting for it haha

• Like 1

Not sure because the only way to eat chips is with chicken salt and BBQ sauce  Fucking New South Welshman!

Was waiting for it haha

That's fucking disgusting 

• 2 weeks later...

Kebab van on Ballarat Road

Near Ashley St? If so I'll grab one tonight.

So, here is the go for Kebabs along Ballarat RD

Near Ashley St, on the North side you have 'fun city kebabs' (not the actual name, just what its commonly called, real name is like tasty toasted kebabs or some shit like that). For a long time regarded as the GOAT kebab in the west, if not Melbourne, I believe there may have been a change of owner recently, either way the quality seems to have diminished somewhat. Still good though and reasonably priced, but smaller and less filling than other options. Chips are on the menu, albeit a recent addition I believe to compete with the offering of other kebab vans, decent chips but a bit pricey.

Also not far from Ashley St, but on the South side of Ballarat Rd, there is another whose name I forget. It's got a fairly large covered area. A lot of options on the menu, regular kebab, kebab with the shish meat, as well as burgers and stuff. Both the kebab and chips are nothing special and overall this place is a disappointing, despite the large lines that can be there sometimes. They seem to be quite inefficient, a lot of staff not getting much done.

Then on the other end of Ballrat Rd, just before the freeway, you have my boy at Highway Kebabs. Until recently, this guy would load your kebab up with a ton of meat, which was extremely filling but lacked in the flavour department as the sauce to meat ratio was off. I think he has learnt the error of his ways and last time I got one it seemed to have less meat, but still more than most. The real selling point though, chips here are seriously GOAT. Not just of kebab vans, but of any take away place I've had chips from in Melbourne. You can't go wrong with the $11 kebab, chips, and drink combo. I know the owner has been trying to open a branch in Ballarat for ages (attn Jimmy) as well. Kebab with shish meat available Saturday before 3pm.

So went to Tasty Toasted Kebabs for the second time and wasn't as good as first time. Ingredients didnt seem as good and was definitely too much salt. 

Will try the one further down Ballarat Rd next time and report back. 

(Also almost T-Boned somebody who went straight through the stop sign where Ballarat turns into a single lane to get onto Hamsptead Rd today, pretty dangerous corner)

Edited by hedaik

• 2 months later...

What's with fucking Nutella in everything now. Donuts, Cheescakes Gelati I don't understand. It's like its supposed to be this new found wonder flavour. Just call it hazelnut. Idiots. 

just like red velvet and salted caramel before it people have got caught up in the craze. Something new will come along and it will go back to only being eaten with a spoon directly from the jar.

just like red velvet and salted caramel before it people have got caught up in the craze. Something new will come along and it will go back to only being eaten with a spoon directly from the jar.

Salted caramel is fucking shit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it's within the realms of discussion that this thread was intended for but I'm really digging the Peri Chicken Crunch burger at Hungry Jack's. I've had probably three in the last week now.

Recommended/10. 

Edited by Jimmy