Melbourne Football

City v. Box Hill 2nd May 2015

jw1739

For those who live in the south-eastern suburbs...this Saturday's matches (2nd May) against Box Hill have been moved to the Kingston Heath Soccer Complex (near Moorabbin Airport).

Reserves 1.00 p.m. Seniors 3.00 p.m.

Edited by jw1739

It was a frustrating match to watch. I'd estimate a total attendance of about 200. I detected one other City supporter there, who I guess to be the mother of one of our players as she knew some of the names of our players; the others were either locals or Box Hill people. I'd hope that at our home NPL matches we are more professional than the set-up today - there wasn't a team sheet in sight, nor any announcements at all (no teams, no subs, no goalscorers, not even an exhortation to avail yourself of what might have been on offer in the canteen).

On the field it was like watching Heart/City v. Central Coast episode 15. Our players all look like very competent footballers, play some nice interpassing movements, too much backpassing for my liking but some very nice attacking moves to balance that. Many of the lads look quite young and small and can't match it physically with the adults. We butchered one chance early on, but apart from a couple of very short periods completely dominated the game for the first half but didn't score. But I would add that Box Hill had a couple of chances that they should have made more of.  After half-time we scored two quick goals (can't tell you who scored - see "lack of announcements" above), and continued to dominate until about the 80 minute mark.

At that point the momentum changed. Box Hill made smart use of their substitutes, bringing on their tall timber. Our lads started to fade and give away possession in midfield, leading to a succession of free kicks and corners, from which Box Hill scored a couple of great headers. In just about the last minute of injury time we again coughed the ball up in midfield, and they broke away to score a cracking winner.

I just don't know about this style of football that we play. If we're going to play this way - whichever team it is - we're going to have to score more goals out of our domination and put matches out of the reach of our opposition, and we're also going to have to do a lot better at knowing how to finish matches when we're in front near to full-time.

It was a frustrating match to watch. I'd estimate a total attendance of about 200. I detected one other City supporter there, who I guess to be the mother of one of our players as she knew some of the names of our players; the others were either locals or Box Hill people. I'd hope that at our home NPL matches we are more professional than the set-up today - there wasn't a team sheet in sight, nor any announcements at all (no teams, no subs, no goalscorers, not even an exhortation to avail yourself of what might have been on offer in the canteen).

On the field it was like watching Heart/City v. Central Coast episode 15. Our players all look like very competent footballers, play some nice interpassing movements, too much backpassing for my liking but some very nice attacking moves to balance that. Many of the lads look quite young and small and can't match it physically with the adults. We butchered one chance early on, but apart from a couple of very short periods completely dominated the game for the first half but didn't score. But I would add that Box Hill had a couple of chances that they should have made more of.  After half-time we scored two quick goals (can't tell you who scored - see "lack of announcements" above), and continued to dominate until about the 80 minute mark.

At that point the momentum changed. Box Hill made smart use of their substitutes, bringing on their tall timber. Our lads started to fade and give away possession in midfield, leading to a succession of free kicks and corners, from which Box Hill scored a couple of great headers. In just about the last minute of injury time we again coughed the ball up in midfield, and they broke away to score a cracking winner.

I just don't know about this style of football that we play. If we're going to play this way - whichever team it is - we're going to have to score more goals out of our domination and put matches out of the reach of our opposition, and we're also going to have to do a lot better at knowing how to finish matches when we're in front near to full-time.

Loved your match report jw.

It does sound though they are getting to face the sort of opposition that will help their preparation to senior football.  Fair dinkum adult footballers who might be less skillful but really really want to win.  Exposure to that week in - week out should harden the kids up, especially if the coach gives them a rocket when they get back to the sheds.

Like both above posts.

Nothing replaces playing against bigger bodies to help development. Question is about the game plan. It's a little dangerous to focus on style over results. The teams we are playing are desperate for results firstly for survival and secondly for promotion.

Hopefully coughing up a late goal isn't a trend and we can finish off games.

Espindola Scored the 2nd, also put one over the bar early (the butchered attempt mentioned by JW), both were put on a platter by Luke Gallo #15 who created everything and was the star player. Pity he's so small as hes quicker and trickier than any of the Australian wingers in the senior team.

The central striker #14 is a great size, great speed, solid on the ball and had an amazing curling finish for the opening goal. Liked him. The front 3 were constantly dangerous but from about the 75th minute the midfield supply conpletely died. 24 for Box Hill took over, he was great.

Was a classic heart/city performance. Major lols in the not taking of chances and collapse. The only other recognisable player was phil petreski #6, captains armband playing DM.

• Like 2