Melbourne Football

Business and Investing

CALZALOL

This is mainly just an equity bubble bursting rather than a result of some great weakness in the Chinese economy. While not what it once was, the Chinese economy is still strong. Global markets over reacted and that's why outside of China they're all strengthening.

Unfortunately the Chinese devalued their currency recently and might do so again in response. I feel these currency wars are really holding back a global recovery from the GFC.

The interesting thing will be if this triggers any more substantial measures from the Chinese government, they've pumped a bit of liquidity into the market, but that's about it. Just no more currency devaluation pls.

That's interesting - I also am unable to change the format. Would be interested to hear from any other moderator on whether they know how to do it.

I did it by copy and pasting it into notepad, deleting everyrthing in calzalol's post and then copy pasting it back into calzalol's post fgrom notepad, since notepad removes all formatting.

• Like 1

That feel when you had a ~$1000 bill to pay in a foreign currency and now it's a $1130 bill.

Also that feel when you booked flights to the UK just before this shit, and 2000 pounds went from $4200 to $4360

Fuck off China.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever used price protection through their credit card?
I can't find the terms anywhere online of what was offered to me the other day by my cc company. Might be only offered to massive degenerates.
If you pay an extra 1% of your monthly balance, you can claim the difference back for any reduction in price of any item you buy (upto $500/month I think).
Sounds too good to be true. It's probably only meant for bigger purchases, but I could see myself using this everywhere.. even for supermarket purchases.
Going to request they send me the terms I think.

I can't find the terms anywhere online of what was offered to me the other day by my cc company. Might be only offered to massive degenerates.
If you pay an extra 1% of your monthly balance, you can claim the difference back for any reduction in price of any item you buy (upto $500/month I think).
Sounds too good to be true. It's probably only meant for bigger purchases, but I could see myself using this everywhere.. even for supermarket purchases.

Yeh my old girl has it. Works fine, you just have to go through the process like any other insurance claim. If you can be bothered wasting time on it, you'll find a financial benefit out of it.

• Like 1

I dont even have a CC but seriously this isn't some special offer and comes standard with many CCs. Sounds like you might not have the best CC and it might be worth looking to change if you don't have reasons not to (eg you value your time too much too bother looking around, or you have other products with the bank/institution which makes it worth sticking with them).

Plenty of CCs with things like 1 year+ price protection, no foreign transaction fees, good rewards system, low annual fee, etc.

Edited by Tesla

I dont even have a CC but seriously this isn't some special offer and comes standard with many CCs. Sounds like you might not have the best CC and it might be worth looking to change if you don't have reasons not to (eg you value your time too much too bother looking around, or you have other products with the bank/institution which makes it worth sticking with them).

Plenty of CCs with things like 1 year+ price protection, no foreign transaction fees, good rewards system, low annual fee, etc.

They also waive my annual fee because I work for the institution. I think they offered 2 year price protection.
So pretty much everything's always on special.. that means if I bought something recently released which routinely bottoms out in price after 2 years (ie. any video game).. I'll get well over half of it back.

I'm gonna save so much money.

bunsen.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here have a stock portfolio? 

Unfortunately I can't do any insider trading but I can PM you some details hehehe

Go on then mate.

I work at a fin. Pub. Rel. company that sets up/writes and organised all things ASX related for many companies. Enquire within

I haven't made much on westpac alone, probably like 600 but dividends are also coming soon. 

Any $100k+ jobs around for someone with a finance degree from Melbourne?

Out of interest, what does this firm you work at do exactly, just prepare the announcements for company's that don't have an internal PR/communications department? Prepare the text/design/etc (all the non-accounting shit) in the Financial Reports? As I know bigger company's do that internally but I imagine many smaller public company's aren't going to have like a 30 person media/pr/communications team.

Edited by Tesla

Out of interest, what does this firm you work at do exactly, just prepare the announcements for company's that don't have an internal PR/communications department? Prepare the text/design/etc (all the non-accounting shit) in the Financial Reports? As I know bigger company's do that internally but I imagine many smaller public company's aren't going to have like a 30 person media/pr/communications team.

Our largest client has a market cap of $2bn.

We do that and a lot more, i.e. investor events, media, etc etc. Assisting with the IPO... etc
Chances are, if there's any Biotechnology company in the news (tv, radio, internet, papers), it has been orchestrated by us.

It's a team of 5 and I'm the junior pleb

Edited by strider

• 1 month later...

Pepper yourselves for Dairy boom. This baby formula stuff is nothing, once the FTA is in effect shit will blow up.

No coincidence that the Chinese are buying up our dairy assets, as are cunts like Gina Reinhardt who obviously have money but also knowledge about the Chinese economy etc.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Do you expect people to take your financial advice seriously?

Not that I disagree. 

Well, I work with/for listed Resource companies on a daily basis... among others 

edit: if you followed my random post re: IPH a page or two back you would have been quite well off ;)

Edited by strider

31 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

You are aware they have a multi billion dollar law suit and the spectre of criminal charges hanging over their head?

Hence the price. It all depends on your level of risk aversion. I made a tidy sum buying up a heap of QANTAS stock at the peak of their negative press and the possibility of them wrapping up operations and then selling them about 10 months later for big $$$ when the share price had rebounded.

As the legendary Warren Buffet said "Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful".

Edited by Jimmy

Also, what BHP have going for them over QANTAS is that they're way more of a blue chip stock so you don't have to be in it for a quick buck. You could comfortably leave them in your portfolio for the rest of your life and just enjoy the dividends and capital growth. 

Edited by Jimmy

Mining is old news, dairy is the new Chinese Crack.

Also it's cute that people in this thread think they know what they're doing in regard to shares, like when someone wins a soccer multi in the gambling thread and thinks they know soccer gambling (including me tbh). 

Edited by Tesla

6 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Also it's cute that people in this thread think they know what they're doing in regard to shares, like when someone wins a soccer multi in the gambling thread and thinks they know soccer gambling (including me tbh). 

Not going to disagree lol. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tesla said:

In b4 strider has just completed his phd in finance/economics/math, discovered a new market inefficiency, banked 70% annual ROI and wins the Nobel prize in economics. 

To link your 2 posts, which bookie will let me bet on that? Wouldn't mind a piece of it, maybe as part of a multi...

ps the Nobel prize didn't stop "long term capital" going to the wall.

Edited by Shahanga

11 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Also, what BHP have going for them over QANTAS is that they're way more of a blue chip stock so you don't have to be in it for a quick buck. You could comfortably leave them in your portfolio for the rest of your life and just enjoy the dividends and capital growth. 

Now this is more of Buffet style investing philosophy rather than buying a company just because their tailings dams collapsed, killed a heap of people and destroyed a whole heap of stuff over a vast area (& their shares went down as a result). My point earlier was really just in case some one read it and thought it sounded like sound investment advice, rather than a pretty risky market timing strategy. Then again if you buy shares based on what some random person posts on a football forum, you probably are getting what you deserve.

19 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Then again if you buy shares based on what some random person posts on a football forum, you probably are getting what you deserve.

Exactly right. Not that you should automatically dismiss everything you read on the internet either. Just gotta use what's between your ears and make your own decisions. 

What's woolworths share price doing?

Would be the least risky stock to buy if you're looking to make money off a recovery.

Worth looking into the details of the Masters agreement with the US company though,  I think the US company basically has a put option on all its stock and can soon sell them to woolworths for what would be a high figure given the struggles. Not the end of the world though.

Fwiw, I like Masters, and I reckon it will pay off eventually, but that's not even that important. 

At the end of the day woolworths us a strong brand, and I'm far from convinced that anyone can seriously compete with Coles and Woolworths. Plus both have potential for cost cutting if they had to, they're dominant positions has lead to inefficiencies, Coles probably have improved in that regard but Woolworths would have huge potential for cost savings. 

Edited by Tesla

12 hours ago, Tesla said:

Mining is old news, dairy is the new Chinese Crack.

The Chinese love their dating apps -- ERR up quite a bit since listing. Love the honeymoon period :up:

Woolworths is safe and obvious so is boring AF. Although I just read their new big plan to turn it around is microwave meals lol.

Tes you should look at this small listed company that's been buying up a fuckload of farms in the areas surrounding my home town (is one of the most pristine areas in the country for dairy farming). They're called Australian Dairy Farms Group and listed under AHF. Currently trading at 14c a share. Could make ridiculous returns if this dairy boom actually happens.

Don't laugh at "microwave meals", it's another proven successful thing that the Australian supermarkets are stealing from the UK. Copying shit from the UK is how Coles turned around, half their management was hired from Tesco, as the UK have supermarkets figured out.

Dairy boom is real, interesting that all the mining billionaires (who have connections with China and know what's happening with their economy) are investing in dairy now.

Honestly there is no better investment strategy then figuring out where Chinese money is going to go. Cunts are balling too hard. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

Don't laugh at "microwave meals", it's another proven successful thing that the Australian supermarkets are stealing from the UK. Copying shit from the UK is how Coles turned around, half their management was hired from Tesco, as the UK have supermarkets figured out.

Dairy boom is real, interesting that all the mining billionaires (who have connections with China and know what's happening with their economy) are investing in dairy now.

Honestly there is no better investment strategy then figuring out where Chinese money is going to go. Cunts are balling too hard. 

You really love pumping up the Family Business dont you... ;)

Edited by cadete