bazzatron

TTDIM: Things that don't irk me

3,444 posts in this topic

What should be debated is why there seem to be so many children these days deemed to either be "on the autism spectrum" or supposedly having ADHD. It seems like an epidemic. Methinks much of it is over-diagnosis. I can't begin to think of the potential long-term effects of pumping drugs into these young kids at ages such as 6-8. Maybe what's needed is a bit more of the "Sit down, shut up, and face the blackboard."

1 person likes this

TTDIM: On a cold day like this, going to open your lunchbox for recess and finding a piece of yiayia's piping hot spanakopita.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

What should be debated is why there seem to be so many children these days deemed to either be "on the autism spectrum" or supposedly having ADHD. It seems like an epidemic. Methinks much of it is over-diagnosis. I can't begin to think of the potential long-term effects of pumping drugs into these young kids at ages such as 6-8. Maybe what's needed is a bit more of the "Sit down, shut up, and face the blackboard."

From my limited reading theres a suspected link between ADHD and kids watching TV at a young age, due to the short bursty nature of ads and shows, kids don't learn to concentrate. Nobody thinks that the growing rate of asthma and food allergies is a whole lot of codswallop, so I don't think we should say the same about ADHD just because its a mental one. 

And yeah the whole outrage over Hansons comments is way over the top. I always thought autistic kids automatically went to their own special schools anyway. 

Edited by hedaik

Simplistic statements for special needs children in education is unnecessary. 

There is no simple answer/solutions. As a society the more we are aware and the more discoveries that are made not only do we reap the rewards but also the problems.

When I was at primary school ADHD kids were just considered dickheads and treated as such.