Melbourne Football

TTDIM: Things that don't irk me

bazzatron

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait for the A-League to start. The best soccer league in the world (for gambling purposes, because you can actually watch every game with minimal time investment, while results are pretty hard to pick compared to other leagues meaning higher odds)

Apart from that, I actually find it more entertaining than any other league as well, don't know why.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Agree with that big time. Tbh I get more enjoyment out of watching a league than any other league. 

Probably cos I know every player and am most invested in it but there's something quite endearing about the Comp IMO.

Same here as well.

Don't get me wrong i'm still a mad essendon supporter but it feels more like a buisness compared to heart/city games where it feels like it's more like your local club.

Something as simple as being able to take photos and chat with the players after games regularly gives it that family feel. 

Most of the other clubs i support too have quite huge fanbases so its that too i guess

Agree with that big time. Tbh I get more enjoyment out of watching a league than any other league. 

Probably cos I know every player and am most invested in it but there's something quite endearing about the Comp IMO.

I actually find I can't even watch a game of Soccer on TV for very long unless its Melbourne City, Celtic or perhaps if there is a chance of the Mongs getting done (I will always swap channels as soon as the Mongs go a goal up).

Its pretty much the same thing with footy in that most games bar some finals/big clashes if they dont involve Geelong/Port Melbourne I will rarely watch more than a quarter.

Sometimes I think I might not actually like Soccer or AFL: I just hate Melbourne City, Celtic, Geelong or Port Melbourne losing... and the Mongs winning.

Edited by cadete

You may if a bushfire disrupts electricity supplies to Melbourne.

My house produces a surplus of electricity in summer (many solar panels), so I'm good.

TTDIM: That if power supplies to Melbourne are disrupted I'll be able to troll everyone so hard simply by running my Air Con all day while others don't even have the electricity to spark their gas powered stoves.

Edited by Tesla

My house produces a surplus of electricity in summer (many solar panels), so I'm good.

TTDIM: That if power supplies to Melbourne are disrupted I'll be able to troll everyone so hard simply by running my Air Con all day while others don't even have the electricity to spark their gas powered stoves.

Tesla the Greenie... 

You heading down to "Lentils as Anything" now as well?

Tesla the Greenie... 

You heading down to "Lentils as Anything" now as well?

The left doesn't own the monopoly on being an environmentalist.

I never claimed you were left I inferred you were an environmentalist... and asked if this therefore meant you now chose to dine at a particular Vego restaurant. 

I never claimed you were left I inferred you were an environmentalist... and asked if this therefore meant you now chose to dine at a particular Vego restaurant. 

I love the environment too much to eat any greens, I only eat meat as a result :up: 

I think that you may be the first libertarian that is also an environmentalist minded that I have ever heard of...

I don't see any reason why this isn't a compatible combination TBH. Actually I think many libertarians would be environmentalist given there would be a large amount of hunters that would have libertarian leanings (responsible hunting doesn't hurt the environment, whereas most hunters I know have a lot of respect for the environment. Actually it could be argued responsible hunting makes it worthwhile economically to keep open certain reserves etc rather than turning them into houses/factories, so it helps the environment)

I love the environment too much to eat any greens, I only eat meat as a result :up: 

I don't see any reason why this isn't a compatible combination TBH. Actually I think many libertarians would be environmentalist given there would be a large amount of hunters that would have libertarian leanings (responsible hunting doesn't hurt the environment, whereas most hunters I know have a lot of respect for the environment. Actually it could be argued responsible hunting makes it worthwhile economically to keep open certain reserves etc rather than turning them into houses/factories, so it helps the environment).

But have you guys figured out how to limit yourselves to this responsible level of hunting without public intervention yet?

I don't see any reason why this isn't a compatible combination TBH. Actually I think many libertarians would be environmentalist given there would be a large amount of hunters that would have libertarian leanings (responsible hunting doesn't hurt the environment, whereas most hunters I know have a lot of respect for the environment. Actually it could be argued responsible hunting makes it worthwhile economically to keep open certain reserves etc rather than turning them into houses/factories, so it helps the environment)

The actual thirty year old Coalition Line every time the environment is thrown up in Question Time in Parliament is:

Australia's smartest people when it comes to knowing the Australian Environment best are Australia's and the World's best Farmers".

You may if a bushfire disrupts electricity supplies to Melbourne.

Pretty much impossible. 

Lightning and high winds are the only real concerns for the transmission lines, and if one line is taken out then theres about 5 or 6 other feeds from various parts VIC/NSW/TAS/SA. Most/all fires start from 22kv/66kv lines as they receive a lot less attention than transmission lines as they arent as critical. 

Solar panels are designed to automatically switch off when theres an outage so current isnt backfed into the network and possibly frying somebody (Bannon) even further (unless you have a battery setup designed for such a thing which 99.99% of homes wont have)

Edited by hedaik

Pretty much impossible. 

Lightning and high winds are the only real concerns for the transmission lines, and if one line is taken out then theres about 5 or 6 other feeds from various parts VIC/NSW/TAS/SA. Most/all fires start from 22kv/66kv lines as they receive a lot less attention than transmission lines as they arent as critical. 

Solar panels are designed to automatically switch off when theres an outage so current isnt backfed into the network and possibly frying somebody (Bannon) even further (unless you have a battery setup designed for such a thing which 99.99% of homes wont have)

TBH I was waiting for the smart ass reply but I thought it would be as simple as 'it goes back into the network not to your house directly'

Those Tesla (the company) batteries will be the game changers. 

Edited by Tesla

So hedaik you're saying if you have solar panels and during the day you get a blackout from the grid, your solar to your house will switch off?

so in effect it goes into the grid rather than powering your house?

sounds like a poor arrangement to me if true.

The inverter shuts down completely when it loses power from the network, so basically the electricity generated from your panels go nowhere. Its a safety feature so current generated from your panels arent fed back into the fault area that can potentially injure or kill whatever has caused the power to trip in the first place, or whoever is working on the powerlines to fix the fault. 

It is possible to set it up in a way that means you keep your electricity during an outage, but it costs $$$ and you probably wouldnt be spending that money unless you had a certain requirement. 

• Like 1

Pretty much impossible. 

Although I do understand what you are saying, a press release by Energy Supply Association of Australia (ESAA) issued on Feb 11 2014 stated that some generators were not operating because of nearby fires others were still online thus ensuring supplies to Melbourne (the Morwell coal pit fires). A month earlier, excessive consumption due to a heatwave affecting SA & Vic were a threat to supplies in Melbourne and some regional supplies were affected. IIRC this decade there was a call for air cons to be switched off as central Victoria was affected (I just can't remember when). So at the moment I accept that we have not had a situation where fires and a heatwave affecting SA, Vic, NSW & Tassie could disrupt electricity supplies to Melbourne but  reading the press releases I don't think that the possibility is as rare as you think. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

One final thought - Tesla appears to consider only domestic use but the biggest loss will be commercial industry.

Although I do understand what you are saying, a press release by Energy Supply Association of Australia (ESAA) issued on Feb 11 2014 stated that some generators were not operating because of nearby fires others were still online thus ensuring supplies to Melbourne (the Morwell coal pit fires). A month earlier, excessive consumption due to a heatwave affecting SA & Vic were a threat to supplies in Melbourne and some regional supplies were affected. IIRC this decade there was a call for air cons to be switched off as central Victoria was affected (I just can't remember when). So at the moment I accept that we have not had a situation where fires and a heatwave affecting SA, Vic, NSW & Tassie could disrupt electricity supplies to Melbourne but  reading the press releases I don't think that the possibility is as rare as you think. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

One final thought - Tesla appears to consider only domestic use but the biggest loss will be commercial industry.

Yeah the earlier one was Loy Yang where a generator was faulty where people were starting to get worried about usage, but we never got to the point of rolling blackouts/load shedding afaik. 

I do see your scenario though, it would have to be a pretty serious fire though to shut down a whole power station.  I was more thinking of the transmission lines themselves rather than the generation when I made my initial comment.  

Edited by hedaik

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_blackout_of_2003 is worth reading to understand what can happen once an integrated electricity supply system starts to fail, whatever the cause of the fault that triggers the collapse.

The potential impacts of such a collapse become ever greater with our increasing reliance on technology.

Being made to remove my steel cap work boots for airport scan knowing full well the foul stench of my feet after a 12hr work day will be enough to bring tears to the eyes of unsuspecting fellow travellers also in line. 

Also haven't showered. 

Yep, I'm that guy on the plane tonight. 

You on that FIFO hustle?

I remember seeing the dumbest thing I have ever seen Airport Security do last year...

I think it must of been in light of some recent event but they had decided to get every tenth person or so to remove their shoes so some Anglo Airport Security Person chose a 80 something year old Greek Man who clearly could not speak any English as one of the PPL they chose at random.

Anyway the poor bloke had no idea what was going on and was clearly getting really destressed... the whole line was being held up and things were getting nowhere until his daughter points at another Security Bloke and said "You! you are a wog.. you understand this shit, sort this out!".

And thankfully the poor old bloke was just waved through.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1