Melbourne Football

TTDIM: Things that don't irk me

bazzatron

What should be debated is why there seem to be so many children these days deemed to either be "on the autism spectrum" or supposedly having ADHD. It seems like an epidemic. Methinks much of it is over-diagnosis. I can't begin to think of the potential long-term effects of pumping drugs into these young kids at ages such as 6-8. Maybe what's needed is a bit more of the "Sit down, shut up, and face the blackboard."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

What should be debated is why there seem to be so many children these days deemed to either be "on the autism spectrum" or supposedly having ADHD. It seems like an epidemic. Methinks much of it is over-diagnosis. I can't begin to think of the potential long-term effects of pumping drugs into these young kids at ages such as 6-8. Maybe what's needed is a bit more of the "Sit down, shut up, and face the blackboard."

From my limited reading theres a suspected link between ADHD and kids watching TV at a young age, due to the short bursty nature of ads and shows, kids don't learn to concentrate. Nobody thinks that the growing rate of asthma and food allergies is a whole lot of codswallop, so I don't think we should say the same about ADHD just because its a mental one. 

And yeah the whole outrage over Hansons comments is way over the top. I always thought autistic kids automatically went to their own special schools anyway. 

Edited by hedaik

Simplistic statements for special needs children in education is unnecessary. 

There is no simple answer/solutions. As a society the more we are aware and the more discoveries that are made not only do we reap the rewards but also the problems.

When I was at primary school ADHD kids were just considered dickheads and treated as such.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hedaik said:

From my limited reading theres a suspected link between ADHD and kids watching TV at a young age, due to the short bursty nature of ads and shows, kids don't learn to concentrate. Nobody thinks that the growing rate of asthma and food allergies is a whole lot of codswallop, so I don't think we should say the same about ADHD just because its a mental one. 

And yeah the whole outrage over Hansons comments is way over the top. I always thought autistic kids automatically went to their own special schools anyway. 

These days the kids with serious problems seem to go to a normal school. They run amuck and Get 95% of the teachers attention and disrupt the class, but this is apparently a good thing and cannot be challenged or questioned.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

These days the kids with serious problems seem to go to a normal school. They run amuck and Get 95% of the teachers attention and disrupt the class, but this is apparently a good thing and cannot be challenged or questioned.

This. Teachers don't have the balls or authority to tell the kid otherwise. Just yep yeah sure anything else 

On 23/06/2017 at 9:58 PM, Shahanga said:

Lol.

I can only comment on the autism side of things, but if you think that the families and professionals involved with a kid who falls on the spectrum are not fully behind improving the current methods of implementing said kids into schools, you should probably go get assessed yourself.

FWIW there is a pretty big set of existing requirements that a kid has to pass before being admitted (including a 'slowness' test rofl), and the really problematic ones that somehow get through are probably only there because the parents are stupidly unable to accept that their kid is not normal. I agree that this isn't beneficial to anyone involved, least of all the kid themselves. It still remains a great source of frustration for teachers, aides, professionals and the like. The super bad ones do get sent to a special requirements school, and usually spend their life in care centers.

However, professionals also remain notoriously bad at over-diagnosing the severity of disorders, and its only after pushing to get into the schooling system (with the required amount of prior preparation and on-going support) that it's discovered the child isn't actually a total write off, and goes on to become a weird, yet functioning member of society. If this opportunity wasn't provided, they'd likely be useless for the rest of their lives, being a much larger overall drain on social support measures.

Lets face it, the disabled kids at schools are defs not the biggest distractions in the classroom. If they are, the schools you're talking about must be fucking boring. When you weigh up between having 12 years of slight added distraction against a lifetime of taxpayer funded support, I know what I'm picking (and this is before even considering the rights and personal well-being of the diagnosed kid themselves and their family).

On 23/06/2017 at 9:57 AM, jw1739 said:

As awareness increases, obviously the number diagnosed also increases. Would love to see how many blokes your age have gone their whole lives living with autism without realising. Kinda shows that it doesn't always have to be a major personal issue actually, as they've managed without ever knowing. Drugs will only be supplied to autistic kids to address issues relating to severe behavioural problems (ie, the not at school types), and is incredibly rare and largely against professional recommendation. I agree on more of the tough love treatment, which actually forms a large part of the early development education program (ABA) that diagnosed kids go through. Many ABA therapists get frustrated by the unwillingness of the parents and school teachers to crack down on the child, who are fearing a blow out (this can also generally extend to normal functioning brats too).

Edited by AyeCee
  • Like 4

On 2017-6-23 at 9:57 AM, jw1739 said:

Agree

I remember back in the late 90s earlier 2000s there seemed to be a mass osteitis pubis "epidemic" - something you don't really hear of these days yet every other sports person seemed to get it.

I've always thought since that it's very easy for things to be over blown / see an over diagnosis given ignorance of the public.

Undoubtedly there actually are more case since we do know what to look for, it unfortunately seems easy to go for the label since its the simple and possibly lazy option

6 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

Agree

I remember back in the late 90s earlier 2000s there seemed to be a mass osteitis pubis "epidemic" - something you don't really hear of these days yet every other sports person seemed to get it.

I've always thought since that it's very easy for things to be over blown / see an over diagnosis given ignorance of the public.

Undoubtedly there actually are more case since we do know what to look for, it unfortunately seems easy to go for the label since its the simple and possibly lazy option

I remember Freo got Luke McPharlin to even up the original Trent Croad deal because Hawthorn thought he would never make it as an AFL player purely cos he had OP.

12 hours ago, AyeCee said:

the really problematic ones that somehow get through are probably only there because the parents are stupidly unable to accept that their kid is not normal. I agree that this isn't beneficial to anyone involved, least of all the kid themselves. It still remains a great source of frustration for teachers, aides, professionals and the like.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. There are perhaps more stupid (or perhaps more correctly self centred) parents then you realise. Not prepared to accept that their child is high needs and adjustments to work, life and of course schooling are required.

im not advocating "institutionalising" these kids by the way, but they shouldn't be in a normal class, so another solution has to be found.

In my experience "pretending a problem doesn't exist" rarely leads to it going away.

update:

actually the more I think about the examples I know it basically comes down to the parents refusing to adjust their lifestyle etc to meet their child's needs. That's why the kid is s disaster in school. If they had them home before and after school and on the occasional "crazy" day, they would go Ok, but they don't, so they don't. Pretty sad actually 

Edited by Shahanga
Update

ttdim: bought a 1:1 replica of a seamaster by omega.

walked into rolex collins the other day all swagged out wearing my ultraboosts, tall tee, open nike jacket and black cuffed jeans. blokes there looked at me like i don't belong until their eye caught my omega. 

even got a little smirky headnod. lmao life is too easy 

8K+ watch for 450 lmao i fuckin love china

5 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I literally drink 3L of Coke Zero/Pepsi Max a day (The Wife hates it) and I missed the release of Coke No Sugar whilst I was overseas and TBH I reckon its far better than the other two.

It def tastes a lot more like Normal Coke as well than the others.

32 minutes ago, cadete said:

I literally drink 3L of Coke Zero/Pepsi Max a day (The Wife hates it) and I missed the release of Coke No Sugar whilst I was overseas and TBH I reckon its far better than the other two.

It def tastes a lot more like Normal Coke as well than the others.

Problem is Coke Zero tastes better than normal Coke. 

Coke No Sugar just tastes will watered down Coke Zero with more sweetener added. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Problem is Coke Zero tastes better than normal Coke. 

Coke No Sugar just tastes will watered down Coke Zero with more sweetener added. 

I am sorry but personally I disagree...

Coke is the greatest tasting drink on earth - I have it very rarely but notice how much nicer it is than the Sugarfree stuff every time I do.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cadete said:

I am sorry but personally I disagree...

Coke is the greatest tasting drink on earth - I have it very rarely but notice how much nicer it is than the Sugarfree stuff every time I do.

I used to prefer it but over time I guess I got used to the Coke Zero taste and now I just dont like normal Coke anymore.

23 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I used to prefer it but over time I guess I got used to the Coke Zero taste and now I just dont like normal Coke anymore.

I drank a heavy intake of Coke for like ten years before I moved to the Zero/Max (Zero did not exist) so I could always remember its superiority despite never choosing to drink it for years... mind you I have it with Rum these days. 

Anyway at least we are not just stuck with only Coke Light (Diet Coke) as an option like in a lot of South America and even parts of Europe. Also TTIM: How the Irish and English sell Coke Bottles kept in Fridges that are barely colder than room temperature.

1 minute ago, Embee said:

I personally don't taste too much difference between the bottled Coke and Coke Zero, the biggest differences are in the Syrup based ones IMO.

I never get Zero from McDonald's or the movies, tastes horrible.

Yeah syrup Coke Zero is fucked, and then half the time they give you real coke because they're not retarded (the mentally handicapped people that work at these places are generally the only competent ones). I'm here fucking ingesting 1,000 calories of shit, I dont need to drink another 200 calories as well, gotta save those calories where you can.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Embee said:

I personally don't taste too much difference between the bottled Coke and Coke Zero, the biggest differences are in the Syrup based ones IMO.

I never get Zero from McDonald's or the movies, tastes horrible.

That is the one of the good things about KFC being with Pepsi...

At least you know u get a bottle/can of MAX not a Crap Cup of Zero Syrup and too much ice.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cadete said:

That is the one of the good things about KFC being with Pepsi...

At least you know u get a bottle/can of MAX not a Crap Cup of Zero Syrup and too much ice.

Until you visit one of the food court KFCs that have syrup machines.

Syrup Pepsi, the fast food equivalent in cheapness of homemade bread.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1