Melbourne Football

TTDIM: Things that don't irk me

bazzatron

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Apparently it's in place in Japan (and has been for a long time), Taiwan, Indonesia, South Korea, Russia...and being debated in Italy.

As @Tesla has already said,  is that not what sick leave is for? Not to mention already the redicoilous time women get off for maternity leave. 

Apparently they want 12 days of period leave,  as long as they give men another 12 days of sick leave,  sure,  why not? 

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

As @Tesla has already said,  is that not what sick leave is for? Not to mention already the redicoilous time women get off for maternity leave. 

Apparently they want 12 days of period leave,  as long as they give men another 12 days of sick leave,  sure,  why not? 

Ridiculous time for Maternity leave?

Would you prefer less and put the new born in child care or force the mother out of the workforce. 

Germany  have a good system. I think its 12 months paid by the government regardless of workplace. 

Edited by Jovan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Not to mention already the redicoilous time women get off for maternity leave. 

Its not strictly for the mother, either the dad or mum can take it. 

You prefer the One Nation policy of getting rid of Parental Leave Pay and also stopping immigration so we end up with a population of 0? I'm sure the cost of a good parental leave scheme to boost the birth rate is cheaper than relying on immigration, plus all the health benefits associated with early family bonding and breast milk that help avoid a future generation of ratbags. 

Edited by hedaik
  • Like 4

From  memory for our first child  my wife got 12 weeks and had some long service leave which she took at a reduced rate and eventually had 12 months with a decent pay but for others she just took leave without pay after the 12 or so weeks.

On duel income with a mortgage it's not easy.

21 hours ago, Jovan said:

Ridiculous time for Maternity leave?

Would you prefer less and put the new born in child care or force the mother out of the workforce. 

Germany  have a good system. I think its 12 months paid by the government regardless of workplace. 

18 hours ago, hedaik said:

Its not strictly for the mother, either the dad or mum can take it. 

You prefer the One Nation policy of getting rid of Parental Leave Pay and also stopping immigration so we end up with a population of 0? I'm sure the cost of a good parental leave scheme to boost the birth rate is cheaper than relying on immigration, plus all the health benefits associated with early family bonding and breast milk that help avoid a future generation of ratbags. 

When my parents raised myself and my siblings they didn't get anything from the government. How can you say that getting rid of parental pave leave will effect the population whatsoever? Isn't the fact that most of the people on this forum, had parents who received no such benefits, show you that people will have kids regardless and will be able to support them regardless? 

Excuse me for asking, why do parents feel everyone else should pay for them to have kids? I understand that obviously we live in a different economic climate then what our parents lived in, but if you choose to have kids the majority of the financial responsibility/looking after them is on yourself. I'm not saying that their should not be some help from the government however i think maternity leave is ridiculous.

Come at me bros.

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

When my parents raised myself and my siblings they didn't get anything from the government. How can you say that getting rid of parental pave leave will effect the population whatsoever? Isn't the fact that most of the people on this forum, had parents who received no such benefits, show you that people will have kids regardless and will be able to support them regardless? 

Excuse me for asking, why do parents feel everyone else should pay for them to have kids? I understand that obviously we live in a different economic climate then what our parents lived in, but if you choose to have kids the majority of the financial responsibility/looking after them is on yourself. I'm not saying that their should not be some help from the government however i think maternity leave is ridiculous.

Come at me bros.

Find this difficult to believe as the Menzies government did provide taxation relief as well cash benefits for raising kids - leaving aside such things as subsidised vaccinations. Of course maybe most people in this forum are over 70 then I would wonder why they are doing so many illicit drugs.

Parental leave was not there to affect the population size - it was to get more women into the workforce and into higher paying jobs. Eliminating PPL today may affect the size of population but I have not read anything regarding this.

Will people have kids regardless? absolutely. They were having them 2000 years ago when infant mortality rate would have been through the roof as well as the death of the mother. Even if you were an aristocrat. Having kids is not the problem - raising them is.

As to the question of how best support children and the role of governments - that would depend on the circumstances of the child but at a very basic level, there is growing evidence that poor nutrition during pregnancy and early years lead to developmental deficiencies. There are benefits for maternity leave although I remain dubious of paternity leave.

• Like 1

IMO there is a good case for review of these benefits, which always appear to me to be somewhat ad hoc. I'm not quite sure how you balance the various costs against the benefits. For example, the argument that maternity leave allows more women into the workforce and into better paying jobs is somewhat negated if a woman then takes three years maternity leave out of four years employment to have three children - as happened in a company I worked for. All her benefits such as years of service for long-service leave, superannuation etc. were maintained while she was absent, and of course someone else had to be employed to take her place while she was on leave. An extreme example, yes of course, but that sort of thing can hurt an employer.

I'm also not convinced that a year's maternity leave is that significant in the first year of a child's life if the mother then goes back to work and the child goes to child-care at the age of one. If family bonding is that important in those early years then should women be working at all? As a mere male I dare not suggest that, of course!

As in all these sorts of things I lean towards the view that people should take as much responsibility for their own life and those of their family as they possibly can and not look to someone else for support except in "safety-net" situations. Probably an unpopular opinion, but there we go!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I remain dubious of paternity leave.

Do you mean the 2 weeks Government pay for dads? 

Only 1 in 3 dads have taken it up so most probably agree with you. I took it up for both kids, first time it was definitely needed as he wouldnt breast feed and was constantly hungry and not sleeping which meant Mrs Hedaik was a sleep deprived mess for 4 weeks, but second baby has been breastfeeding really well so I haven't had to do so much this time around other than keep the older one entertained.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Do you mean the 2 weeks Government pay for dads? 

Only 1 in 3 dads have taken it up so most probably agree with you. I took it up for both kids, first time it was definitely needed as he wouldnt breast feed and was constantly hungry and not sleeping which meant Mrs Hedaik was a sleep deprived mess for 4 weeks, but second baby has been breastfeeding really well so I haven't had to do so much this time around other than keep the older one entertained.

Providing paternal support depends on circumstances. Sometimes the birth does not go as planned and the paternal support as well as extended support is a necessity - in this I don't have an issue with. However, my recollection when paternity leave emerged in Oz was as part of equal benefits to match women. This is the bit I am dubious about. Most blokes I know save annual leave as well so that they have extra time.

1 minute ago, NewConvert said:

This is the bit I am dubious about. Most blokes I know save annual leave as well so that they have extra time.

Well the Government provides 2 weeks at minimum wage, my work provided me with 2 weeks at full pay which is somewhat generous compared to most of my mates who only got 1 from their work. The only place Ive heard of doing anything substantially more is one of the big 4 banks. I was fairly keen to get back to work after 4 weeks both times so I don't think much more needs to be provided for fathers. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO there is a good case for review of these benefits, which always appear to me to be somewhat ad hoc. I'm not quite sure how you balance the various costs against the benefits. For example, the argument that maternity leave allows more women into the workforce and into better paying jobs is somewhat negated if a woman then takes three years maternity leave out of four years employment to have three children - as happened in a company I worked for. All her benefits such as years of service for long-service leave, superannuation etc. were maintained while she was absent, and of course someone else had to be employed to take her place while she was on leave. An extreme example, yes of course, but that sort of thing can hurt an employer.

I'm also not convinced that a year's maternity leave is that significant in the first year of a child's life if the mother then goes back to work and the child goes to child-care at the age of one. If family bonding is that important in those early years then should women be working at all? As a mere male I dare not suggest that, of course!

As in all these sorts of things I lean towards the view that people should take as much responsibility for their own life and those of their family as they possibly can and not look to someone else for support except in "safety-net" situations. Probably an unpopular opinion, but there we go!

I don't think that the maternity leave is ad-hoc. After all it has been around for a long time and not only in Australia but in many countries as well and the economic studies have been rigorous. I have not read of a single economic paper that argues against it. Where you do have a point is regarding the cost to business and that would be dependent on the size of the business.

You could also argue that the child is best served by being looked after all they way into their twenties. Indeed I have a friend who has argued that every year is the most important year of her children's life and that dad should take time of work to be there with them (she is not terribly bright). And many families opt to become single wage families for that reason. I have not seen any stats to see how many families do that. 

Personally I have not seen any business go to the wall because of maternity leave. Yes it is a cost but all businesses end up bearing the same cost over a period of time.

The only issue I have with maternity leave is that businesses are forced to pay it rather than directly from the government. That can be a huge cost for a small business. 

Also feminists always talk about the lower pay and job opportunities that women apparently get etc, well the prospect of having to pay them maternity leave is enough of a reason to look over a woman in favour of a man for the same job, so it really does not help females that businesses have to pay it rather than the government.

The business wears enough of a cost losing their employee, let alone having to also pay them during the time. Of course it makes fuck all difference for a big company, but for small businesses it certainly does. 

Maternity leave aside, I do think it is somewhat of an issue that overall there is a fuck load of subsidies for having children, and in this day and age where different life choices are acceptable, it seems unfair that people who don't have children do basically have to pay for other people's children. At the same time we need a growing population to counteract the ageing population so maybe it's not that big an issue. And the cunts who'd complain about it would probably not give a fuck about other segments of our society who are ripped off so meh. 

Edited by Tesla

7 hours ago, Tesla said:

The only issue I have with maternity leave is that businesses are forced to pay it rather than directly from the government. That can be a huge cost for a small business. 

Also feminists always talk about the lower pay and job opportunities that women apparently get etc, well the prospect of having to pay them maternity leave is enough of a reason to look over a woman in favour of a man for the same job, so it really does not help females that businesses have to pay it rather than the government.

The business wears enough of a cost losing their employee, let alone having to also pay them during the time. Of course it makes fuck all difference for a big company, but for small businesses it certainly does. 

Maternity leave aside, I do think it is somewhat of an issue that overall there is a fuck load of subsidies for having children, and in this day and age where different life choices are acceptable, it seems unfair that people who don't have children do basically have to pay for other people's children. At the same time we need a growing population to counteract the ageing population so maybe it's not that big an issue. And the cunts who'd complain about it would probably not give a fuck about other segments of our society who are ripped off so meh. 

Friends of mine who chose not to have children repeatedly joke about adopting our family so that we can look after them when they retire.

9 hours ago, Tesla said:

Businesses aren't forced to pay it at all, and many dont offer Mat Leave, my best friends missus didn't get anything from her work and had to use her long service leave. The Government offers 3 months at minimum wage for everybody, if a company decides to offer leave on top of that then its up to them. Most big businesses seem to offer 3 months at full pay. 

My uncle used to run a small business of 10-20 people in Perth and he always said he preferred mothers working for him as they had something to work for and were more stable in their career/life. He was more than happy to offer it to attract those type of workers. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hedaik said:

Businesses aren't forced to pay it at all, and many dont offer Mat Leave, my best friends missus didn't get anything from her work and had to use her long service leave. The Government offers 3 months at minimum wage for everybody, if a company decides to offer leave on top of that then its up to them. Most big businesses seem to offer 3 months at full pay. 

My uncle used to run a small business of 10-20 people in Perth and he always said he preferred mothers working for him as they had something to work for and were more stable in their career/life. He was more than happy to offer it to attract those type of workers. 

Not sure why I thought it was paid by businesses TBH, maybe it was one of the proposals that haven't happened. So I guess there goes my only issue with it.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I don't know what to do with nutella, I like it but what do I do with it? Mediocre on bread. What else is there?

44 minutes ago, Nate said:

TTDIM: Nutella

I just bought Nutella for the first time and I'm eating it straight out of the jar with a spoon and I can't stop, help pls