Melbourne Football

TTDIM: Things that don't irk me

bazzatron

TTDIM; watching the Internet going into meltdown over the US election and knowing that whoever wins, be it the Donald or crooked Hilary, I will wake up on 9th of November and my life won't have changed at all.

TTDIM; not getting worked up over inconsequential nonsense 

TTDIM; knowing beareaucrats run the world not politicians

15 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

TTDIM; watching the Internet going into meltdown over the US election and knowing that whoever wins, be it the Donald or crooked Hilary, I will wake up on 9th of November and my life won't have changed at all.

TTDIM; not getting worked up over inconsequential nonsense 

TTDIM; knowing beareaucrats run the world not politicians

So true, Politicians do not come up with their own policies like everyone thinks... 

10 hours ago, cadete said:

So true, Politicians do not come up with their own policies like everyone thinks... 

Generally agree with this but I think it is a bit more nuanced. First up though, former Peruvian president Alan Garcia Mark I did formulate the parties policies without input from career bureaucrats and was warned that the economy would tank if he proceeded. He proceeded and the economy duly tanked and it is only now that they are emerging from that mistake. When he was re-elected (Mark II) he ensured he had top notch advisers that allowed Peru to bear the brunt of the GFC without too much bother.

Secondly, the reason why I think that politicians do come up with their own policies from the opposition benches is because once they attain power they can come in and do a large cull of the heads of departments and put their own people in. I recall when Keating jettisoned John Stone who was opposed to the floating of the Australian dollar (and you can still hear him protest that he was right); Howard culling a whole stack of career bureaucrats and so on. Ditto at state level.

With regards to the USA that is not entirely true because when a presidency ends the entire top echelon of bureaucrats depart (something like the top three levels). Then once the new President is sworn in, the confirmation hearings begin. In an issue of The Economist they wrote that since WWII the president that had the least amount of rejections was Bush 43, first term, who had none and the whole confirmation process took about 6 months. Obama's team took over 18 months to be sworn in. Additionally, the Commander in Chief does not need to consult Congress or the bureaucrats about matters of national security as defined by the President.

12 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Generally agree with this but I think it is a bit more nuanced. First up though, former Peruvian president Alan Garcia Mark I did formulate the parties policies without input from career bureaucrats and was warned that the economy would tank if he proceeded. He proceeded and the economy duly tanked and it is only now that they are emerging from that mistake. When he was re-elected (Mark II) he ensured he had top notch advisers that allowed Peru to bear the brunt of the GFC without too much bother.

Secondly, the reason why I think that politicians do come up with their own policies from the opposition benches is because once they attain power they can come in and do a large cull of the heads of departments and put their own people in. I recall when Keating jettisoned John Stone who was opposed to the floating of the Australian dollar (and you can still hear him protest that he was right); Howard culling a whole stack of career bureaucrats and so on. Ditto at state level.

With regards to the USA that is not entirely true because when a presidency ends the entire top echelon of bureaucrats depart (something like the top three levels). Then once the new President is sworn in, the confirmation hearings begin. In an issue of The Economist they wrote that since WWII the president that had the least amount of rejections was Bush 43, first term, who had none and the whole confirmation process took about 6 months. Obama's team took over 18 months to be sworn in. Additionally, the Commander in Chief does not need to consult Congress or the bureaucrats about matters of national security as defined by the President.

In the case of Rudd's last stand all the senior ALP Bureaucrats just got drunk and ate Chinese Food... as Rudd and his geeky sons' ran a campaign that half the ALP did not give a fuck a about even trying to win.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I do often find myself in the wilderness with no access to clean drinking water...

Edited by thisphantomfortress

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Really been enjoying lushsux's stuff recently. The harambe memorial on argyle st in Fitzroy is fucking great 

Im a bit too cool for school with internet memes so I dont really like where hes gone in the last few months, but I did like the one he did where he ruined the ending of Star Wars 12 months(?) ago. 

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Really been enjoying lushsux's stuff recently. The harambe memorial on argyle st in Fitzroy is fucking great 

I still cant work out of he is retarded or a genius

*edit- on a side note i feel the same about Andy Warhol 

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, strider said:

Ttdim: putting 2x 1L bottles of San Pellegrino in the ice cream section of Woolies, walking around for 5 mins and returning to moderately chilled sparkling goodness

Why 2? You couldn't drink both before the second got back to roon temperature.

• Like 1