Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

Let's cut the bullshit though. We finished sixth.

If your cutting bullshit we finished 4th, why because Perth cheated the salary, we went over to Wellington and beat them fair and square. However you look at the final "ladder" ultimately it's about winning the toilet seat and in that regard we finished fourth.

After the home and away season we were deemed 6th best. a failure.

• Like 1

4th after finals.

According to FFA cup seeding we finished 4th too.

Ah. Must be my Englishness - I'm so unused to finals series' that I simply forgot that it even happened. As far as I'm concerned, the winner of the league is the team which finishes top of the table, not the one that wins the knock-out competition that follows it.

If your cutting bullshit we finished 4th, why because Perth cheated the salary, we went over to Wellington and beat them fair and square. However you look at the final "ladder" ultimately it's about winning the toilet seat and in that regard we finished fourth.

After the home and away season we were deemed 6th best. a failure. In Australia final positions are deemed by where you finish a finals series. So in your opinion if some how me manage to make the gf and win it the season would be deemed a failure because at the end of the home and away season we technically finished 6th? You need to review your interpretation of our season because out of the five seasons of our existence we have had our best season. I think we done well considering our injury list and the fact both our marquees have been failures.

Edited by drewmelbcity

If we win the grand final it would mean over a maximum of three and minimum of two games we were the best team. If we win the league then it would mean over 27 games we are the better team. Therefore the end of season position a team finishes is a far better indicator of the quality of a team than a chance knockout competition. We finished 5th with a very fortunate turn of luck due to Perth Glory. In my eyes it was a sixth position finish.

• Like 4

If your cutting bullshit we finished 4th, why because Perth cheated the salary, we went over to Wellington and beat them fair and square. However you look at the final "ladder" ultimately it's about winning the toilet seat and in that regard we finished fourth. After the home and away season we were deemed 6th best. a failure. In Australia final positions are deemed by where you finish a finals series. So in your opinion if some how me manage to make the gf and win it the season would be deemed a failure because at the end of the home and away season we technically finished 6th? You need to review your interpretation of our season because out of the five seasons of our existence we have had our best season. I think we done well considering our injury list and the fact both our marquees have been failures.

Yes we have done better than other seasons but the comment above by Luke was about a sixth place finish being regarded as a failure and not some hypothetical regarding winning the grand final.

4th after finals.

Ah. Must be my Englishness - I'm so unused to finals series' that I simply forgot that it even happened. As far as I'm concerned, the winner of the league is the team which finishes top of the table, not the one that wins the knock-out competition that follows it.

Its a different culture.

Here winning the Finals Series is seen as the "real" championship.

One compelling argument for Finals Series is that we play each opponent 3 times.  That means across the board, Team A may twice play Team C at home, but Team B may only play Team C once at home.  Team A has and advantage over Team B, so using the H and A result  to determine the champion is not an even test.

It can be argued that on their day the 6th team after H an A could end up being Champions, and that would be pervese.  Yet only the top 2 have ever become Champions.  BTW in a 10 team, its ridiculous that the 6th team can even be considered to play off in the finals.  Should be top 4.

• Like 1

If we win the grand final it would mean over a maximum of three and minimum of two games we were the best team. If we win the league then it would mean over 27 games we are the better team. Therefore the end of season position a team finishes is a far better indicator of the quality of a team than a chance knockout competition. We finished 5th with a very fortunate turn of luck due to Perth Glory. In my eyes it was a sixth position finish.

Yes and no.

Imagine we end up first by one point.

Now suppose as a result of the fixturing, the second placed team played AU twice away, and we played them twice at home. Its not the same challenge is it?

You can argue it evens out over season, but I don't think in a tight league in a low scoring sport that it does.

The point is that the season over 27 rounds is a superior measure of a teams strength than 2-3 games. Whether one team plays more home than away doesn't change this.

The big fact is that after 10 years, the Champion has always finished first or second, proof that to be Champion, you need to be first or second after home and away. So no, you won't be champion by winning 2-3 games from 3-6th.

And you still have the issue of the challenge not being the same across the season for all teams.

Its not as manipulated as the AFL draw, but its not an equal draw either.

H and A works overseas because teams play each other twice.  Here we don't.

The point is that the season over 27 rounds is a superior measure of a teams strength than 2-3 games. Whether one team plays more home than away doesn't change this.

The big fact is that after 10 years, the Champion has always finished first or second, proof that to be Champion, you need to be first or second after home and away. So no, you won't be champion by winning 2-3 games from 3-6th.

And you still have the issue of the challenge not being the same across the season for all teams.

H and A works overseas because teams play each other twice.  Here we don't.

Here's a solution: Every team verses each other 4 times, 2 at home and 2 away. It's a fairer fixture, longer season and shorter off season!

• Like 1

H and A works overseas because teams play each other twice. Here we don't.

Here's a solution: Every team verses each other 4 times, 2 at home and 2 away. It's a fairer fixture, longer season and shorter off season! Probably the most reasonable thing you've ever said. That being said won't happen.

4th after finals.

The point is that "finals" are part of the "season" and not a separate competition from it.

Under the system we have we finished fourth.

Your promotion play-off system is similar (but not the same). For example, Southend United gained the third promotion place from League 2 even though they were fourth on the table at the conclusion of the home-and-away series. 

4th after finals.

Its a different culture.

Here winning the Finals Series is seen as the "real" championship.

One compelling argument for Finals Series is that we play each opponent 3 times.  That means across the board, Team A may twice play Team C at home, but Team B may only play Team C once at home.  Team A has and advantage over Team B, so using the H and A result  to determine the champion is not an even test.

It can be argued that on their day the 6th team after H an A could end up being Champions, and that would be pervese.  Yet only the top 2 have ever become Champions.  BTW in a 10 team, its ridiculous that the 6th team can even be considered to play off in the finals.  Should be top 4.

Yeah, I get that. I'd have personally preferred a system which ensures the league is always even in terms of home and away, though. I know people say that playing each team 4 times would make the travel costs and so on too high for some teams, and that the league/country possibly can't support an expansion to, say 16 teams, but even a system like Scotland, where half-way through the season the league splits in half and you only play the teams in your half of the table, would at least allow for a fair spread of games, home and away. But I acknowledge that conditions aren't right for it and it'll probably never happen.

For me the interview showed how CFG look at our season in comparison to the supporters. Their perspective ..

In reality we finished 6th however CFG view it as a 4th place finish which much higher than previously achieved..

They want all there clubs to be set up and successful on and off the pitch.. We have our facilities that are the envi off all other clubs.

Even the most negative supporter can see they have done heaps for the club in 1year.. All of this with $25mil invested thus far.

Let's be real.. The CFG let the football department run the football.. There assessment will always come at seasons end meaning JVS will not get the sack in a hurry even if we have a bad start.. If the season is not seen as progress then he will be sacked.. The only time he will get sacked mid season is if it's completely obvious or his lost the playing group. That's why my interpretation of the interview is if we finish 4th or below JVS will be sacked and players released also.. The CFG have set the bench mark and the standard..

This season coming up for the first time the football department know they must finish min top 4 and have a decent finals series.. Gone are the days were we just wanted to finish 6th

Simple question that'll put this to rest. In your opinion were we the fourth best team based in the comp?

I believe our squad at the final third of the season can be considered fourth best of the season. Our team transformed so much over the season it was as if we went through an off season of transferring players whilst we were playing in the league.

Simple question that'll put this to rest. In your opinion were we the fourth best team based in the comp?

The answer is of course, "no." If we ignore the Perth salary cap situation, we were 6th after the h-and-a matches and a long way outside the top 5.

But that is not how the "finishing position" is determined by FFA. According to its decision on Perth and according to its A-League rules we finished 4th.

I very much doubt that Khaldoon is blinded by that "finishing position." He's an intelligent man and knows full well that we simply were never in the hunt for either the Premiership or the Championship. He knows full well all the things that are debated on here - about individual players, about van 't Schip, about lack of firepower, about the team "not turning up", and so on and so forth.

IMO the important point from his interview is that CFG expects continual improvement both on- and off-field. So we'll be expected to do better in both the h-and-a matches and the finals series.

• Like 2

Well one thing we can all agree on, the first time we finished 6th after home and away we finished 6th after the finals. Surprisingly we did better this time and finished 4th.

I'm my opinion it was still a poor season with all the old Heart failings evident, but much better than 10th

• Like 1

What CFG say in public in a PR piece and how they see things in private are not necessarily the same. Why would they talk us down in a promo video? Of they would say we finished 4th.

Also Perth cheated to get the points they did so I don't really feel any sadness for them about being pushed down the ladder. They cheated, they got caught, they finished 7th, end of story.

• Like 1

Why can't we claim 3rd if we're measuring our position like that?

The other losing semi finalist finished higher on the ladder than us The table is irrelevant in these parts. David Gallop just put us 4th because he was shitty with us over the colors issue.

I think everyone is looking at it the wrong way. If he had've said we finished 5th or were the 6th best team, and set that as the benchmark that would make next season easier for JVS. They've set 4th as the benchmark or minimum expectation for next season, which shows some ambition, which is something we desperately need. Higher standards is what we want.

I think everyone is looking at it the wrong way. If he had've said we finished 5th or were the 6th best team, and set that as the benchmark that would make next season easier for JVS. They've set 4th as the benchmark or minimum expectation for next season, which shows some ambition, which is something we desperately need. Higher standards is what we want.

They demand trophys.. Perhaps not next season but within a reasonable time.

They will provide the infrastructure, money and whatever the fooballing guys want but they expect results of course

I have to disagree. If we set 6th as the benchmark then it sounds easier on paper, but we would be specifically setting league finish (i.e. table finish) as the method we are marking it by. Sure, asking us to produce a better end result than 4th implies we should set ourselves up well for the finals by having a good season, but it allows for the prospect of a dodgy season with a lucky finish, rather like this one. Instead, judging it on league finish requires a more consistent set of performances overall, while allowing for a poor end result in the finals. I would prefer to see stronger performances year-round than judging it on a system where you can do mediocrely and get lucky.

• Like 2

I have to disagree. If we set 6th as the benchmark then it sounds easier on paper, but we would be specifically setting league finish (i.e. table finish) as the method we are marking it by. Sure, asking us to produce a better end result than 4th implies we should set ourselves up well for the finals by having a good season, but it allows for the prospect of a dodgy season with a lucky finish, rather like this one. Instead, judging it on league finish requires a more consistent set of performances overall, while allowing for a poor end result in the finals. I would prefer to see stronger performances year-round than judging it on a system where you can do mediocrely and get lucky.

IMO it's implicit in the concept of continual improvement that we will go further in the FFA Cup, finish higher than 6th in the league, and win our semi-final to at least reach the Grand Final.

Setting "better than 6th" as the only objective would, IMO, be setting the bar lower. And knowing van 't Schip as we do once he was sure he had achieved that he would not go all out to do better. As per last season, where once we were assured of making the finals the team put in two shabby performances on the trot, and then finished the season with just two points out of the last 12. We should have been in the mix for 3rd place in the league but for this capitulation.

Firstly, I don't understand what all the fuss is about, if we have indeed been seeded 4th for the FFA Cup it means we don't play another A-League team in the round of 32! Imagine playing an NPL2 side - surely we'd get further than last season! hehe

Secondly, now that MusclePharm is our sponsor can I get a discount on some 'Arnold' protein powder? I wanna get shredded!!

Firstly, I don't understand what all the fuss is about, if we have indeed been seeded 4th for the FFA Cup it means we don't play another A-League team in the round of 32! Imagine playing an NPL2 side - surely we'd get further than last season! hehe

Secondly, now that MusclePharm is our sponsor can I get a discount on some 'Arnold' protein powder? I wanna get shredded!!

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/e15/11261951_660275777439054_859140445_n.jpg

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xfa1/t51.2885-15/e15/11261951_660275777439054_859140445_n.jpg

Errr...okay then... :up:

Think CFG, think corporate executives in a footy context..

They say that they are very satisfied for a season = They are jumping around laughing with their cocks out in the boardroom.

If a season was "mixed" or disappointing = Complete meltdown and they are rolling around on the floor biting each other screaming accusations.
If they say that there is room for *gasp* improvement = They hang up bedsheets with texts like "JVS OUT!" or "SACK THE PLAYERS"

• 3 weeks later...

SAP and CFG take 'the beautiful game' into the Cloud

8zpe3d.jpg

07 July 2015

SAP SE and City Football Group (CFG) today announced a global, multiyear marketing and technology partnership that will transform the way the ownership group and its football teams operate and perform, from the boardroom to the pitch.

SAP will become the official 'Cloud Software Provider' and a trusted technology advisor of City Football Group and its four clubs around the world, including Manchester City FC (Men and Women), New York City FC, Melbourne City FC and Yokohama F. Marinos.

Khaldoon al Mubarak, Chairman of City Football Group, commented: "This partnership is as important as it is broad, stretching across all entities within the City Football Group.

"In SAP we have found a technology partner that is committed globally to our businesses and one that shares our constant drive for innovation.

"Our common ambition is to create groundbreaking football specific technology solutions and products and I have every confidence that we will be successful."

Bill McDermott, CEO and member of the Executive Board of SAP SE said: "City Football Group is one of the most innovative and technology-driven football organizations in the world.

"We are so proud that SAP HANA and our cloud solutions will be enabling City Football Group’s vision for supporting the players and coaches while completely reinventing the fan experience."

City Football Group and its clubs will implement a wide variety of cloud-based solutions powered by the SAP HANA® platform with the aim to simplify their world-wide operations, scale their business, increase productivity and enhance the fan experience.

Another key element of the partnership will be the collaboration to co-innovate and develop new applications to analyze and improve performance on the field for players and coaches. 

Business Operations

To further expand globally and improve operational efficiencies across all clubs, City Football Group will utilize cloud solutions from SAP, including SuccessFactors® solutions, the SAP® Jam™ social software platform and the SAP Simple Finance solution powered by SAP HANA, to enhance talent management and HR processes and drive more collaboration worldwide.

Analytics solutions from SAP, including SAP Predictive Analytics software and SAP® BusinessObjects™ business intelligence solutions, will be the center of CFG’s new information infrastructure to put 'information at your fingertips' in order to analyze and simulate all data from ticketing to merchandising to allow decision makers across the organization to make faster and more informed decisions.

Fan Engagement

A variety of SAP solutions will be leveraged to enhance the fan experience in CFG team stadiums around the world, including an interactive digital insights wall at the Etihad Stadium that will bring real-time analytics and insights to fans attending matches.

SAP and CFG will change the way that fans of CFG teams access and consume football data, allowing them to look at the game differently and understand it in the most relevant way.

To provide an even better experience for fans, CFG will use SAP solutions for customer engagement and commerce and customer experience management software from hybris, an SAP company. 

Player and Team Performance

Looking forward, City Football Group will co-innovate with SAP on new technological enhancements in the areas of talent management, football performance and human performance for future versions of the SAP Sports One Solution.

As the first sports-specific cloud solution powered by the SAP HANA platform, SAP Sports One provides users with a single, unified platform to manage their individual teams and players efficiently, as well as analyze and contextualize data from different sources and in various formats for new insights for performance optimization. 

The partnership with CFG builds on a growing portfolio of relationships throughout football around the world and continues SAP’s strategy of working with sporting organizations that showcase SAP technology.

Last summer, SAP and the German National Team (DFB) co-innovated on the development of SAP Match Insights, using SAP HANA, which enabled the team to collect and analyze player data during training to help them secure their fourth World Cup Championship.

Outside of football, SAP transforms sport by successfully collaborating with a number of well-known sports organizations and associations in ice hockey, sailing, golf, Formula 1 racing, cricket, American football, baseball, tennis and basketball.

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news/2015/July/SAP-and-City-Football-Group-take-the-beautiful-game-into-the-cloud/1436265394

Could someone (almost certainly younger than I am) tell me what that all means in plain English?

It means they're about to throw an obscene amount of coin to implement a software solution they probably don't need, because it's the in thing to do and gives both companies even greater exposure.

My stab anyway...

• Like 3

Could someone (almost certainly younger than I am) tell me what that all means in plain English?

It's just a customer relations software, but it's pretty huge, seems like half the office jobs out there require knowledge of SAP.