Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

1 hour ago, rass said:

With all respect JW, I don't believe that's quite 100% correct.

I think they do care, sending Roy over last year and acting on his recommendation probably shows they do and want success here - even though it may have been the wrong decision in hindsight.

Without knowing what happens in the inner sanctums of CFG, I believe a more accurate view is they are frustrated with the boundaries they have to work in, imposed by the FFA. Unable to keep McCormack is probably a good example of this if it's true that Villa's demands would have broken the cap.

Yes, maybe it was a bit of a rant. But seriously, all the other A-League clubs have the same restrictions as we do, and you can't deny that the Budzinski situation is ridiculous, the Kilkenny situation stank, Joyce not talking to Kamau stank. Etc. etc. May be CFG do want success, but their management isn't delivering it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

having a spare visa spot is fucking ridiculous, use the fucking resources we have, set the fucking bench mark for the league instead of being fucking mediocre like every other fucking season 

We've set the benchmark for consistent mediocrity, season after season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Wow didnt see that coming.......

How did we make $15.5m in revenue  hahaha? Was that all from the Mooy sale (Did CFG do the books so the Melbourne account go the money)?

Edited by haz

10 hours ago, Jovan said:

As long as FFA maintains such a tight grip on the A-League via its various rules I can't see us really benefiting from being part of CFG except for the occasional "super-signing" such as Bruno was (in his first season) and Harry N. (until his off-field antics let him down).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

As long as FFA maintains such a tight grip on the A-League via its various rules I can't see us really benefiting from being part of CFG except for the occasional "super-signing" such as Bruno was (in his first season) and Harry N. (until his off-field antics let him down).

There is no doubt in my mind that CFG have given up putting a lot of time and effort into Melbourne City, trying to develop the squad and, by extension, the league, whilst the FFA seem hell bent on stifling any initiatives.

Why would you bother, particularly when FIFA are getting involved. Let's play a waiting game and spend our energies in more fertile areas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjake1234 said:

There is no doubt in my mind that CFG have given up putting a lot of time and effort into Melbourne City, trying to develop the squad and, by extension, the league, whilst the FFA seem hell bent on stifling any initiatives.

Why would you bother, particularly when FIFA are getting involved. Let's play a waiting game and spend our energies in more fertile areas.

Exactly look what they've done at Girona and Breda. Without having the loanees those teams would definitely be relegated. The second half of both of their seasons they actually becoming decent sides as the loaness generally 4 or 5 play each week and most are 19 to 22 years old.

If we could use our visa and marquee spots on CFG elite fringe players instead of lets be honest journeymen that for whatever reason never made in the big leagues how exciting would that be. 

I'm not saying bring over 5 players but 1 or 2 per season plus a Fornaroli type and you would get a good mix. But it's pretty much impossible with the FFA rules and cap restrictions. 

I think CFG are doing all they can and are hoping at some stage in the not too distant future they will be able to do more.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Exactly look what they've done at Girona and Breda. Without having the loanees those teams would definitely be relegated. The second half of both of their seasons they actually becoming decent sides as the loaness generally 4 or 5 play each week and most are 19 to 22 years old.

If we could use our visa and marquee spots on CFG elite fringe players instead of lets be honest journeymen that for whatever reason never made in the big leagues how exciting would that be. 

I'm not saying bring over 5 players but 1 or 2 per season plus a Fornaroli type and you would get a good mix. But it's pretty much impossible with the FFA rules and cap restrictions. 

I think CFG are doing all they can and are hoping at some stage in the not too distant future they will be able to do more.

I think it would be difficult to fill the visa positions with CFG loanees because of the salary cap and "Lampard", but I don't understand why we didn't do that with our second marquee position instead of Budzinski. When I say "I don't understand", bear in mind that FFA has to approve all marquees, and it is of course possible that we tried that, but FFA vetoed it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think it would be difficult to fill the visa positions with CFG loanees because of the salary cap and "Lampard", but I don't understand why we didn't do that with our second marquee position instead of Budzinski. When I say "I don't understand", bear in mind that FFA has to approve all marquees, and it is of course possible that we tried that, but FFA vetoed it.

Foden would be a good example of a using a Marquee spot on an elite fringe player. Obviously a risky option but can't be bigger risk already with older types.

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

39 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Foden would be a good example of a using a Marquee spot on an elite fringe player. Obviously a risky option but can't be bigger risk already with older types.

Arnt Visas and Marquess limited to a certain age? Not many Elite Frige players would be allowed by FFA

Edited by haz

1 hour ago, haz said:

Arnt Visas and Marquess limited to a certain age? Not many Elite Frige players would be allowed by FFA

That's exactly my point. We are hamstrung. And end having to get more mature but lesser quality  (potentially) because of the FFA handbrake. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/23/melbourne-city-eye-shedding-a-league-albatross-as-pieces-come-together

Brian Marwood, CFG’s global football boss, made clear to Guardian Australia that in Melbourne results and young player development represent “twin pillars” of ambition.

A bit more on the Arzani-Joyce working relationship, and another seagulls gag. 

Fluff piece in the Fairfax press. Platitudes and PR

Man City aiming for global domination - and Melbourne's at the heart of it

29 April 2018 — 3:43pm

Ten thousand miles from the Etihad Stadium, Warren Joyce, Melbourne City’s manager, is trying to win in style, playing the beautiful soccer that is a mantra of City Football Group, the umbrella company who own Manchester City and Melbourne City.

‘‘We are striving to be perfect,’’ he says.

Every week, Joyce, the former Manchester United reserve team manager and Wigan boss, has a conference call with some of Man City’s leading figures, including Brian Marwood, CFG’s managing director of global football, Pedro Marques, the group’s global lead of football performance, and Gavin Fleig, their global lead for talent management. They discuss ‘‘everything, from day-to-day stuff to the kids, the current team, whatever problems might crop up, and incoming transfers’’, Joyce explains.

The day after Man City were confirmed as the Premier League champions, Marwood and Fleig landed in Melbourne to watch the club in their A-League elimination final against Brisbane. Man City’s ambitions stretch further than merely to dominate in England and in the Champions League. They intend to build a unique sporting dynasty which marries clubs throughout the world. So far CFG have stakes in, or outright control of, New York City, Yokohama F. Marinos in Japan, Girona in Spain, Club Atletico Torque in Uruguay and Melbourne City. Clubs in China and India could be next.

It is a project unprecedented in its scale. European giants targeting foreign markets is nothing new; having a network of interconnected clubs in different continents is.

‘‘Man City is not in a position to play in China, the US or Australia every week, so establishing and maintaining a franchise in such countries enables a constant market presence,’’ explains Simon Chadwick from Salford Business School.

He likens CFG’s franchising to McDonald’s: the bigger the group, the more the individual parts can help each other with co-branding opportunities and intelligence sharing. Like McDonald’s stores around the world, each CFG team subtly promotes the others. Most importantly, CFG believes each club can also help each other on the pitch, and that the cross-continental scale of their operation will give them advantages.

Since being acquired by CFG in 2014, Melbourne City have been transformed. Previously Melbourne Heart, CFG rebranded their name and colours in accordance with Man City. In the training ground’s reception, on the wall is Sheikh Mansour’s quote from his 2008 letter to Man City fans: ‘‘We are building a structure for the future, not just a team of all-stars.’’ It features at both Man City’s and New York City’s training ground too. CFG want anyone arriving to have a similar experience in all three centres. Here, as in Manchester and New York, there are also logos of the other CFG teams to show they are a family of clubs.

The facilities were gutted and refurbished in 2015. The changing room is a replica of the circular shape used at the Etihad Campus, originally suggested by current Man City captain Vincent Kompany, egalitarian and leaving nowhere for players to hide.

Yet the most significant part of CFG’s involvement is the shared brains. Staff from CFG clubs are constantly visiting each other to observe, advise and learn. ‘‘We have regular ongoing conversations with all departments,’’ Joyce explains.

Each training session is recorded, using the same smart camera system as at Man City, and coded and uploaded to CFG’s central database. From anywhere in the world, CFG’s global football department can watch, analyse and provide feedback.

As with the style of football, the intention is to create continuity between clubs, allowing not only players - especially youngsters who find it so hard to get first-team minutes in Manchester - but also coaches, support staff and data analysts to move seamlessly between the different teams.

‘‘It feels very similar - the facilities, the medical staff, the coaching staff, the way everything’s set-up, the football style,’’ observes Luke Brattan, a Man City player on loan at Melbourne City. ‘‘Obviously, it’s at a smaller scale, but we want to try and replicate what Man City do.’’

Ferran Soriano, Man City’s chief executive, makes several trips a year to the club. ‘‘These people, from our chairman [Khaldoon Al Mubarak] down, are hands-on,’’ says Scott Munn, Melbourne City’s chief executive. Twice a year, Munn and senior staff at all CFG clubs descend on Manchester. They discuss best practice, develop longer-term strategies - like how to engage millennials with shorter attention spans - and how to strengthen collaboration. Melbourne City and New York City work closely on how to grow in countries where soccer is far from being the dominant sport.

As part of CFG, Melbourne City have access to the group’s player database, benchmarking the performance and potential of players against players going back decades. While Melbourne City decide who they sign, this tool enables the club to tap in to CFG’s expertise. In 2015, CFG identified Bruno Fornaroli, scouted by the group in Uruguay, as a player who could thrive in Australia, despite struggling in Europe. Fornaroli scored 48 goals in his first two seasons.

The relationship also brings challenges. Melbourne City are at a far lower level than Man City - they are rated equivalent to a good League One team - and, in a league with a strict salary cap, are unable to spend exorbitant amounts. Players can aspire to the Pep Guardiola way of playing, but most are incapable of doing so. The ideal of attractive soccer may not always align with what maximises Melbourne’s chances in a particular game, though Joyce denies there is any conflict. ‘‘I’d never line up to play a negative game anyway.’’

More broadly, Chadwick believes there is a risk of CFG spreading their expertise too thinly, and one underperforming club undermining the image of the others.

‘‘We’re our own club, we’re not mini-Manchester,’’ Munn says. ‘‘We are part of a global organisation that brings incredible benefit, but we operate locally. City Football Group have never said to us ’this is what you must do in Australia to be successful’. They’ve always said ’this is what we do in Manchester. This is what we do in New York - if you think it will work in Australia, please try it. And if it doesn’t work, try something else’.’’

Melbourne don’t sell Man City merchandise in their stadium, to avoid alienating fans of other English teams. But the cross-promotion of teams is driving increased support for other CFG teams. When Melbourne Heart were bought, virtually none of their fans followed a Major League Soccer team. Now, Melbourne City say, 17 per cent of their fans support New York City in the MLS. As well as win trophies - the men’s team won Australia’s domestic cup last year, and finished third in this season’s A-League, their highest in a regular season; the women’s team, formed in 2015, have been W-League champions four years in a row - Melbourne City also aim to be self-sustaining within five years.

For CFG, the Melbourne project may have almost paid for itself already. In 2014, Melbourne City signed the Socceroo Aaron Mooy on a free transfer. Marwood subsequently identified him as a player who could excel in England. Mooy was signed by Man City and loaned to Huddersfield, who eventually bought Mooy for £10 million - more than the £6 million CFG reportedly paid to acquire Melbourne. Since CFG acquired Melbourne City, the club’s annual turnover has trebled.

Yet for Sheikh Mansour, whose estimated personal wealth is $20 billion, the real prize is using each club to promote each other and helping all of them win.

After FIFA approved the use of wearable player tracking systems in 2015, a Melbourne City delegation went to Manchester to show how the technology, long a staple of Australian sports, could be best used. ‘‘It was quite humbling,’’ Munn says. Joyce has been scouring Aussie rules for insights that might then be incorporated into the club - and, if they work, then taken to the rest of CFG.

Soccer writer Simon Kuper suggest Western Europe’s domination of the sport is because the region is so well connected, enabling ideas to travel. CFG’s idea is of a global network, allowing for experimentation and the incorporation of the best ideas from football and beyond, to the benefit of all clubs in the group.

And so Melbourne City are not just at the heart of a pioneering concept. They are also a harbinger of soccer's future, ever-more dominated by institutions unconfined by countries or continents.

The Telegraph, London

Comments are not open on this article

Morning & Afternoon Newsletter

Delivered Mon–Fri.

• Like 1

I don't know that I want to read this sort of stuff all the time. As far as I am concerned we need to demonstrate that we're a big club on the pitch rather than by what organisation we're part of. I think that as a Foundation Member I've just had the worst weekend as a supporter of the club. In 72 hours we failed to go forward to the Grand Final only to see us trumped by bloody Melbourne Victory who did and I think will likely win the Championship and tip us out of the ACL play-off place by doing so.

Reading the above just makes the hurt more painful.

14 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

Yeah. In reality, we are the members of the overall worst Australian club in the competition. 

But training grounds rock. For sure you can't make GF from Gosh paddocks. 

Overall we aren't the worst, far from it: the W-League and NYL teams are doing very well, so well that it just highlights how underperforming the men's team is

11 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I accept that there's more competition for players in the men's competition, however, the resources are the same for all 3 teams

Yes. So that when we look at the W-League and the Youth teams the resources available to Melbourne City are, relatively, much greater than any of the other clubs,  giving us a definite edge over all the other clubs for those teams. Clearly the pathways open to young City players are better than those available to the other clubs. And let's face it we were the first club to treat our female players with any semblance of respect, and pay them accordingly - hence we could have Little, Fishlock, Beattie and De Vanna all in our team in S1. But IMO with the men's team we don't have the same relative advantage - other clubs are quickly catching us in terms of training facilities for example.

Also, being part of a global organization can (and IMO does) make it harder to make certain decisions because we have to abide by policies set for the whole organization.

So there are going to be pluses and minuses being part of CFG.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Yes. So that when we look at the W-League and the Youth teams the resources available to Melbourne City are, relatively, much greater than any of the other clubs,  giving us a definite edge over all the other clubs for those teams. Clearly the pathways open to young City players are better than those available to the other clubs. And let's face it we were the first club to treat our female players with any semblance of respect, and pay them accordingly - hence we could have Little, Fishlock, Beattie and De Vanna all in our team in S1. But IMO with the men's team we don't have the same relative advantage - other clubs are quickly catching us in terms of training facilities for example.

Also, being part of a global organization can (and IMO does) make it harder to make certain decisions because we have to abide by policies set for the whole organization.

So there are going to be pluses and minuses being part of CFG.

So if the advantage we offer is smaller for the men's team then it would seem that MCFC should be using the areas that they can have a big advantage, areas outside the cap like coaching appointments. Really, is the Wazza the absolute best that they could come up with?

12 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

So if the advantage we offer is smaller for the men's team then it would seem that MCFC should be using the areas that they can have a big advantage, areas outside the cap like coaching appointments. Really, is the Wazza the absolute best that they could come up with?

Everything except those limited by FFA/A-League rules.

IMO Joyce was a personal appointment by Marwood, and his main task is to change attitudes. He may not have got all the way yet, but I'd say he's achieved a few things. Hence my assessment of a "pass."

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Everything except those limited by FFA/A-League rules.

IMO Joyce was a personal appointment by Marwood, and his main task is to change attitudes. He may not have got all the way yet, but I'd say he's achieved a few things. Hence my assessment of a "pass."

Merrick achieved a larger change in 1 pre-season

• Like 1

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Merrick achieved a larger change in 1 pre-season

He role was to turn losers into positive thinking winners. Joyce’s role was much harder, deal with huge personalities and entitled individuals, and turn whingers into hard workers.