Melbourne Football
Torn Asunder

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

kingofhearts    3,337
26 minutes ago, Forever City said:

What does the outcome of the hearing mean? Do we have to give up the name "Melbourne City FC" our can we still use it?

Apparently we have to have a temporary name until the matter is resolved.

They suggested; in the email that they've sent to club members; a few suggestions (take into account Melbourne Heart is still trademarked)

-Melbourne wombats

-Melbourne Monarchs

-Melbourne fighting irish (to pay heritage to melbournes irish heritage)

I don't mind monarchs, as our name temporarily

• Like 1

belaguttman    3,804
47 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

-Melbourne Monarchs-Melbourne fighting irish (to pay heritage to melbournes irish heritage)

I don't mind monarchs, as our name temporarily

I don't mind Melbourne Republicans

How about Melbourne Galahs?

Inferno    49
54 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

-Melbourne Monarchs

I like the sound of 'The 'Melbourne Monarchs'. How about,

-Melbourne Aztecs 

-Melbourne Blues

jw1739    7,104
3 hours ago, Forever City said:

What does the outcome of the hearing mean? Do we have to give up the name "Melbourne City FC" our can we still use it?

I'm no lawyer, but I think that if you read the case our club badge ("logo") has been accepted as a trade mark. IIRC, at that time it was deemed that both clubs could use the same name, or similar names, because the words were so general that no organization could claim them as unique. This case was about the phrase "Melbourne City Football Club" being registered as a trade mark in its own right.

The relevant extract from the article being:
"The Delegate found that the fact that the trade mark appeared in close conjunction to the logo diluted the effect of such use, meaning that the phrase MELBOURNE CITY FOOTBALL CLUB alone was not performing the function of distinguishing the goods on which it appeared from those of other traders."

TBH, like Phantom I'm astonished that this is still going on. I don't know who is being vindictive or bloody-minded, but I would have thought that the two clubs could have sat down and resolved this - and any other issues - a long time ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1