Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

Actualy it won't matter to us here as my wife is now 80 and i will very soon be 81 and this year we have struggled a bit with the travel so we have decided not to renew. That's not to say that we won't be watching as we have Kayo here at home, we watched every away game this season but as i said the travel is getting hard for us so that's it for us. I will still be keeping in touch via this site for as long as i can. COYCB.!!

On 31/03/2020 at 9:45 AM, bt50 said:

Personally im happy for them to take the last couple of payments. I know the CFG cloud looms over us, but as a whole sports clubs need our support now more than ever if they are to come out the other side.

Agree with this. Lots of complaints  and comments that they arnt clubs they are franchises. Well if you want it to be a club, you support it when you can. My work has not changed therefore I dont think I should change any payment.

Of course if you have lost work or your job entirely then I think its completely understandable to not want to keep paying

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

https://news.goo.ne.jp/article/nikkansports/sports/f-sc-tp1-200718-202007170000848.html

Of vague interest - it appears Yokohama and CFG are going their separate ways. 

"On the 17th, it was revealed that Yokohama F. Marinos, the champion of the J1 league last season, has been removing the relationship with the City Football Group (CFG), which had been in a capital tie-up since 2014, and making adjustments away from the CFG. .. The parent company Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. terminated a global partnership agreement with CFG in 2014 for 14 years. According to a person concerned, CFG is expected to part with the 20% stake in Yokohama that it holds."

The first paragraph according to Google Translate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Presumably no salary cap - or a much higher one than ours. IMO that's the only reason we don't get them as well.

We don’t have a cap on marquee players either and still don’t get any Manchester players. One thing is that the seasons don’t align, player personal preference and thirdly we are not high in the picking order and need to fend for ourselves.

16 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We don’t have a cap on marquee players either and still don’t get any Manchester players. One thing is that the seasons don’t align, player personal preference and thirdly we are not high in the picking order and need to fend for ourselves.

I don't think that it would be worth using EDS players for the marquee positions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think that it would be worth using EDS players for the marquee positions.

I hate to say it but some borderline senior development players would seriously give some of our marquees a run for their money.

And my comment wasn’t specifically aimed at youth players, would be nice if they loaned a good player to us.

Edited by Mr MO

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I hate to say it but some borderline senior development players would seriously give some of our marquees a run for their money.

And my comment wasn’t specifically aimed at youth players, would be nice if they loaned a good player to us.

Not convinced. I saw enough EPL development players farmed out to my club in League 1 in the UK to conclude that many were overpaid, overrated, and lazy. And that was some from Man U that I remember vividly. I'd need to be thoroughly convinced to think them worthy of marquee status. Far better an out of favour but proven Championship player like the Fat Scotsman. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Not convinced. I saw enough EPL development players farmed out to my club in League 1 in the UK to conclude that many were overpaid, overrated, and lazy. And that was some from Man U that I remember vividly. I'd need to be thoroughly convinced to think them worthy of marquee status. Far better an out of favour but proven Championship player like the Fat Scotsman. 

It seems that we’ve already forgotten the marquee disappointments we’ve seen over the years. Your Scotsman wasn’t even a marquee. 

They got some real talent stowed away in the Dutch league and with Girona.

Edited by Mr MO

• 4 months later...

So I have heard that either the whole club or just the women's side will be moving to Casey fields and a new dandenong stadium built, move being driven by Matt Windley as team 11 finished. Announcement soon supposedly 

Anyone else hear anything? And no it's not from a certain mike on Twitter..... 

37 minutes ago, HughJass said:

So I have heard that either the whole club or just the women's side will be moving to Casey fields and a new dandenong stadium built, move being driven by Matt Windley as team 11 finished. Announcement soon supposedly 

Anyone else hear anything? And no it's not from a certain mike on Twitter..... 

I’d be very surprised if we moved from a 15 mil facility only 5 years after it opened.

I hope we stay in Bundoora for good. Have been there since the start and the majority of our members are in the north

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I’d be very surprised if we moved from a 15 mil facility only 5 years after it opened.

I hope we stay in Bundoora for good. Have been there since the start and the majority of our members are in the north

A stadium along the lines Team11 was pinning its hopes on makes a lot of sense and Dandenong is somewhere where a club can focus, rather than Bundoora.  A move like that is much like Brisbane moving to Redcliffe.

I don't think the investment in Australia has panned out the way CFG thought it would. Maybe they want to cut their losses and rebuild where they think there is more potential to grow.

Wait and see if there's any substance to it.

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

The west is taken now, I can completely see the potential of moving east. Not only will this shut down any potential A League team in the eastern suburbs but the potential is there to attract fans and youth development. The eastern catchment is much larger than the north. I rather stay at AAMI for personal convenience but I want this club to grow.

We have such a small fan base, out of the 20 odd city fans I know nobody is from the northern suburbs. Out of curiosity do we have stats where our fans are located?

8 minutes ago, Hanz said:

This is a great move! Owning the east is what they should be doing! Building a small boutique stadium would be huge

If it's true, and if the proposed stadium site is the same as before it's the old Dandenong Saleyards, only 5 minutes from Dandenong Station.

1 minute ago, HughJass said:

Lets see as was told the stadium will be built mostly paid by city with government chipping in, article didn't exactly deny it 

If the club does end up playing in Dandenong, it'll be difficult for me to continue (actively) supporting them.

For those familiar with the area, what's the travel time from the city?

If they move there to play, that's me out as an active supporter. I won't be able to get there from Geelong. And there's a fair few long established and loyal fans (including the City Travelling Fans) set up also down this way, who would also likely be out as attending members. But as long as they stay playing at AAMI I can't see it will make a lot of difference to most of us where they train. If this idea of moving to a boutique stadium goes forward though, I guess I'll be on the barricades, and there'll be no end of grief. 

10 hours ago, Hanz said:

This is a great move! Owning the east is what they should be doing! Building a small boutique stadium would be huge

No it would be an utter disaster. Half our existing fan base would have no chance of getting there. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

If they move there to play, that's me out as an active supporter. I won't be able to get there from Geelong. And there's a fair few long established and loyal fans (including the City Travelling Fans) set up also down this way, who would also likely be out as attending members. But as long as they stay playing at AAMI I can't see it will make a lot of difference to most of us where they train. If this idea of moving to a boutique stadium goes forward though, I guess I'll be on the barricades, and there'll be no end of grief. 

No it would be an utter disaster. Half our existing fan base would have no chance of getting there. 

If we did completely move out there (e.g. building a stadium and playing home games there), then that is probably me done with the A-league. 

• Like 1

Stadium is not part of the immediate decision making progress.

Seems like the Dandenong region approached us with shelf ready plans from Team 11. I’m surprised Melbourne Victory didn’t consider this as they are still looking for a ground?

As I said yesterday, big potential in the south east corridor.

Edited by Mr MO

It seems frankly ridiculous to build a 15 million dollar, top notch facility in Bundoora, only to pull up sticks and move to Casey barely five years later. However if what the club says about the majority of our members coming from the south east is true then I suppose its a justifiable decision, given the region is growing in population. 

So long as the men's team continue to play home games at AAMI our fan base shouldn't shrink. The big question for me: is this news the harbinger of building a boutique stadium in Dandenong in a few years, that will become the home stadium of all our teams? And would that diminish or grow our support base?